VH45 to Z32 gearbox adaptor plate.

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
canadiandrifter240sx

Hey John just wondering how your vacation was and if there is any word on the adapter plates.

Chris

John Dixon
Car: 300ZX-TT Z32

Hi Chris,Vacation was great thanks zante is incredibly hot!Will be sorting everything out in the next 2 days. Some bank transfers etc were a problem for some reason.Will email everyone on the list soon.John

slownslurious

for $650 I can probably swing one if its still available, let me know asap though.

John Dixon

Yes, just in time!!Email me on [email protected] and I'll let you know the details.Cheers

slownslurious

ok I have the cash ready to send but I emailed you one last question about approx. date they will be ready, so let me know if you can.

slownslurious

money sent, thanks

M3Racer
Car: 1999 Acura 3.2TL, BMW E46 M3 Convertible

Can someone who got one of these do a write up, or at least a review afterwards?

This sounds excellent.

riu
Car: 94 300ZX 2+2
89 Isuzu I-Mark RS
92 300ZX Slicktop
92 240SX SuperHICAS

i was thinking, and i think someone has done something similar to this

but isn't it possible to just cut off an inch or so off of the Q45 auto tranny bellhousing, and then cut off an inch or so off of the Z32 5spd tranny or whatever tranny is desired's bellhousing. weld on the 1 inch lip of the Q45 bellhousing onto desired tranny, reinforce it with some braces and bolt on and it should work?

or am i totally missing something here?

slownslurious

nah you could do that as long as you get the spacing for the clutch right and you get both both bell housings cut and welded perfectly parallel... it would probably be difficult to pull off.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

riu wrote:i was thinking, and i think someone has done something similar to this

but isn't it possible to just cut off an inch or so off of the Q45 auto tranny bellhousing, and then cut off an inch or so off of the Z32 5spd tranny or whatever tranny is desired's bellhousing. weld on the 1 inch lip of the Q45 bellhousing onto desired tranny, reinforce it with some braces and bolt on and it should work?

or am i totally missing something here?
and with that method it would be much more of a PITA to change transmissions, youd be dedicated to using that instead of just any old transmission.

pmpmstrb

I had thought about going this route, but getting their are quite a few obstacles to overcome.

1-You must use a Q45 flywheel since you would have the starter on the block instead of the tranny.2-Source a clutch combo that would work with the Q flywheel, or possibly have to have one custom made.3-Cut the bellhousing to allow for a clutch fork and clutch actuator. Also install a pivot for the clutch fork.-or-Use a hydraulic throwout bearing (~$300 from what I could find)4-If you blow your tranny than you have to buy both trannies again and have everything re-welded and custom fit, including the clutch provisions.

I ran the options and numbers for a while. I was going to go with the welded bellhousing until I did some in depth research and came across some more info. I think it is cheaper now and in the long run to use an adapter plate. If your tranny breaks, you can pick up another one for ~$300 shipped usually.

slownslurious

well as long as you just welded the bellhousing and not the transmission itself you wouldn't have to do it all over again you could just transfer the bell housing to a new tranny.

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

pmpmstrb wrote:1-You must use a Q45 flywheel since you would have the starter on the .
by flywheel you mean flexplate right??

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

slownslurious wrote:well as long as you just welded the bellhousing and not the transmission itself you wouldn't have to do it all over again you could just transfer the bell housing to a new tranny.
but the Z32 bellhousing isnt removable.....

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

pmpmstrb wrote:I had thought about going this route, but getting their are quite a few obstacles to overcome.

1-You must use a Q45 flywheel since you would have the starter on the block instead of the tranny.2-Source a clutch combo that would work with the Q flywheel, or possibly have to have one custom made.3-Cut the bellhousing to allow for a clutch fork and clutch actuator. Also install a pivot for the clutch fork.-or-Use a hydraulic throwout bearing (~$300 from what I could find)4-If you blow your tranny than you have to buy both trannies again and have everything re-welded and custom fit, including the clutch provisions.

I ran the options and numbers for a while. I was going to go with the welded bellhousing until I did some in depth research and came across some more info. I think it is cheaper now and in the long run to use an adapter plate. If your tranny breaks, you can pick up another one for ~$300 shipped usually.
1. Technically there are no Q45 "flywheels" available, only the flex plate... however... if you simple weld the very end of the Q45 bell housing in place of the VG's you actually wouldn't have to worry about the starter for the most part.

The starter hole and mounting bolts/studs would still be in the same location on the Z32 5-speed and at most you might need a spacer for the Z32 flywheel to make it match up properly.

2. Going by above, you'd only need the Z32 stuff.

3. The rest of the bell housing would be the stock Z32 bell housing so the clutch fork hole and such is still there.

4. As long as you don't blow the aluminum to pieces, you can pull out all of the internals and replace with some fresh internals from a good tranny.

My only concern would be strength. I would take the tranny only to someone who has done a lot of aluminum welding and has a TIG welder to do it. Aluminum is much harder to weld than steel and requires a very good welder (both the welder itself and the person welding) to make a good, strong weld. If its TIG welded... it won't be cheap either.

slownslurious

what he said.

we should probably start a new thread for this discussion though its OT and kinda cluttering up the thread for those of use waiting on updates on our adaptors!

riu
Car: 94 300ZX 2+2
89 Isuzu I-Mark RS
92 300ZX Slicktop
92 240SX SuperHICAS

okay, that answered it all for me.

just thought it may work in theory.

i know alluminum is a ***** to weld, i tried it once on a sculpture i was working on, gave up on that real quick.

canadiandrifter240sx

Is there any updates on the adapter plate?

John Dixon

Materials are in, should be being cut in the next few days, will email everyone as soon as I know more.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

John i have a question (and anyone else whos made a plate)

ON the Qs and im sure the Zs come from the factory with gussets that secure the engine and trans together... Are these being used at all with the adapter plates, or is just bolting the trans to the adapter plate enough?? I assume that nissan put them there for a reason...

John Dixon

Yes, they're retained and just bolt to the adaptor plate at the bottom. I think they're probably just not on the pictures as I'd left them at the other garage when fitting it up. They're on now.

irax

hey john, is the machinist alright? i got the email saying he slipped a disc in his back.

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

mtcookson wrote:1. Technically there are no Q45 "flywheels" available, only the flex plate... however... if you simple weld the very end of the Q45 bell housing in place of the VG's you actually wouldn't have to worry about the starter for the most part.
*cough*

I manufacture 9.1/2" flywheels to suit VH41 & VH45 engines, using the factory ring gear, making them compatible with the factory engine starter and all. So far no one's bought one

John Dixon

irax wrote:hey john, is the machinist alright? i got the email saying he slipped a disc in his back.
He went back to work middle of this week. Not too mobile yet but he's there! Will call him in the next few days for an update.

irax

im not stressed to get this asap so dont go pushing him now :-D

dondesoto
Car: NISSAN SKYLINE x 2 . DESOT0 1955

GDAY . I,m coming in a bit late in this thread , and may have missed something , but , have a flywheel question . What flywheels are you using , and if they are the Z32 type are they a straight fit ?

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

From what I've read, the Z32 flywheel needs to have the ring gear reversed or something... or then you run a Z32 box with starter on it and space the flywheel out the same distance as the gearbox adaptor plate.

But why would everyone rather run a poohouse Z32 flywheel when you could run the Rev King M series flywheel? Specifically designed for a VH V8 !

canadiandrifter240sx

Any word on the progress?

Thanks Chris

pmpmstrb

canadiandrifter240sx wrote:Any word on the progress?

Thanks Chris
Me too.

John Dixon

Gents, been really busy recently and so has John evidentally as I can never catch him in the workshop. Will get some news this week hopefully and maybe some pics too if I go over, sorry for the delay!

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”