Stock radio upgrade w/ aftermarket equipment 1st gen Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

DIN = Deutsches Institut für Normung (German Institute for Standardization)

Single DIN = 180mm W x 50 mm H or 7" W x 2" H
Double DIN - 180mm W x 100 mm D or 7" W x 4" H

J-wood
Car: 2011 Nissan rogue s

If anybody gets rid of their 2011 radio not the s model please let me know I would like one

Andybond
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

Does anyone wants to sell their 2011 unit with Nav?

jk47
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
Previous: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:
steelersfan85 wrote:Dash kit wasn't necessary for the 2011 rogue, don't think its needed for the 08, but I could be wrong.
The '08-10 Rogue requires a dash kit. Scosche and Metra both make kits for single & double DIN.

Nissan changed the audio system starting in '11. If steelersfan85 is correct, the factory unit is Double-DIN so no dash kit is required when you upgrade.
I have the Scosche Double DIN kit for my Poineer NAV system in a 2010 Rogue. Has anyone confirmed if the Rogue 2011 dash kit will fit 08-10 Models with Aftermarket NAV's?

philipa_240sx

jk47 wrote:Has anyone confirmed if the Rogue 2011 dash kit will fit 08-10 Models with Aftermarket NAV's?
AFAIK, no one has figured out how to purchase this part separate from the radio so it hasn't been tried yet.

jk47
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
Previous: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:AFAIK, no one has figured out how to purchase this part separate from the radio so it hasn't been tried yet.
Hmm...I am going to the dealer tomorrow...I'll see what my Parts Dept says...

usmcguy
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

steelersfan85 wrote:...I was told it has a fiber connection when the aftermarkets have rca.
You said you were "told". Can you confirm that the connection isn't RCA?

usmcguy

I'm looking to upgrade my 2011 Nissan Rogue''s head unit. Mine currently isn't the NAV unit, but it does have the iPod integration. The model number on the front of the stereo is PY22G. I was wondering if anyone has taken any photos of the back side of the stereo. I want to get an idea of what I'm in for when I got to replace this system. (I.E. can I use the existing microphone input, backup camera, and XM antenna).

steelersfan85

Yes, It doesn't have an rca connection. If you want the stock camera, you'd have to either try and spluice the wire, find a converter or replace the camera alltogether.

You cannot use the exisiting mic, backup camera or xm antenna. All use different connections than what is on the aftermarket radio's. Since I swapped mine out, the connections do not match up.

usmcguy

Well, I took my Headunit out to checkout the connections, and I saw was copper. No fiber connections.

I would think that you would be able to splice into existing connections, but yes, the connectors that come into the stereo are non-standard.

I was able to determine which connector provided the backup cam. I would think that even though the video isnt being provided with a RCA connector, the feed is still a composite video feed (i.e. 2 cables, 1 providing video info, the other ground/sheilding).

I have 7 years experience as a hardware/software engineer. So it shouldn't be difficult to determine if it's possible. I was just hoping someone else had already done the ground work, so it's less research (and less trial and error) on my part.

I think if someone has said it's not possible without providing any solid details as to why (i.e. they took it to an installer, and he said he can't do it), then I don't find that statement valid.

I will get to the bottom of it and post results. I just havent purchased the headunit I want yet, so the motivation hasn't been there to do the research. If anything, it would be great if I could get Panasonic (the manufactur of the headunit) to send me the cable specs for the headunit.

Black_Rogue
Car: 2011 rogue

Hello Everybody,
I can confirm that the OEM backup camera works with aftermarket HUs. Also the image looks much better than the stock.
Camera image out is regular composite - just connect an RCA plug and connect that to HU.
Provide 6V to Camera power supply - I just used an old cellphone charger to convert 12v to 5V (5V is enough for it to work).
Check FSM - AV section for wiring.

I did this and works. :dblthumb:

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Thanks Black Rogue, that's interesting stuff and most likely will help other owners who are considering a similar upgrade.

katkat

black_rogue - which unit did you install? I plan to replace my unit.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

:badger

me too.

Black_Rogue

I installed Clarion nx501, mainly because

1) I liked the Front and Rear source control. I have rear video displays. I can play one source for front and another for rear.

2) 4V pre-amp output. I have Bose amps.

3) Like Igo navigation. This unit has a custom version of Igo primo 1.1

Not 100% happy with unit, there are bugs in the OS, but it would not be practical to find a HU without bugs and all the features one would like with correct price.

By the way I had Nissan Navigation unit with Bose amps before the upgrade. I was able to use the factory GPS antenna too. Ran USB and AV input to center console.

usmcguy

Black_Rogue wrote:Hello Everybody,
I can confirm that the OEM backup camera works with aftermarket HUs. Also the image looks much better than the stock.
Camera image out is regular composite - just connect an RCA plug and connect that to HU.
Provide 6V to Camera power supply - I just used an old cellphone charger to convert 12v to 5V (5V is enough for it to work).
Check FSM - AV section for wiring.

I did this and works. :dblthumb:
I just tried doing this last evening, but I must have done something wrong. Looking at the FSM, I see there is:
-Camera Image Signal (Line 34)
-Camera Power Supply (6V) (Line 35)
-Camera Ground (line 36)

May I ask how wired yours? I can assume that the Camera Image Signal went to the center line of the Composite RCA cable. But where did you connect the outside line?
For power, did you just connect the ground of that to vehicle ground?

EDIT: Looking at the FSM again, I noticed that I missed the Shield (Line 33). Is the shield what you connected the outside line of the RCA Cable to?

Thanks in advance!

Black_Rogue

"May I ask how wired yours? I can assume that the Camera Image Signal went to the center line of the Composite RCA cable. But where did you connect the outside line?"

"EDIT: Looking at the FSM again, I noticed that I missed the Shield (Line 33). Is the shield what you connected the outside line of the RCA Cable to?"

Correct

"For power, did you just connect the ground of that to vehicle ground?"

Correct, that would work but you have to convert 12V to 6V (or 5V). When you convert 12V to 6V you should have + (pos) and - (neg) . + (6V) goes to camera power - (neg) goes to camera ground. That - (neg) and vehicle ground will be same, so you can use either.

usmcguy

Black_Rogue,

Thanks for your input!!!!

I was able to get my system wired up last evening and it works like a dream. I did have a rough troubleshooting session, but had a learning lesson.

I picked up a phone charger to use as an power adapter to go from 12V to 6V to power the camera. I took it apart and wired it so that I didn't have to plug it in to a cigarette lighter. However, my mistake was that I connected the source power from the adapter to my Kenwood system. (The Kenwood has a power output for backup cameras). But I couldnt get it to work at first. It took me an hour or so to realize my mistake. I pulled out a voltmeter to discover that the Kenwood Camera Power output is only 8V. This prevented my adapter from working. So all I had to do is connect the source power for the adapter to the Vehicle ACC & Ground instead.

:woot: Voila, it worked! Thanks again for your help, Black_Rogue!

Black_Rogue

That is exactly what I did, moded Cellphone charger is powered from ACC. My rear view camera is powered all the time when ACC is powered (My HU allows to view rear-view camera without putting to reverse gear) If it was not that I would have only powered the camera when on reverse.

What Kenwood model did you install? How do you like it? Any comments on dual zone control (front and rear)?

usmcguy

I have the Kenwood DNX9980HD.

So far I like it. In my 99 Nissan Maxima, I replaced my HU with the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. I liked that system, too.

I will say that the DNX9980HD has some lag when switching from menu to menu. I'm running the latest firmware (v1.3.0). But the lag is a little annoying.

I haven't played withit a whole lot yet. So I can't comment on the dual zone control. I will say that I like the ecoRoute. I picked up the Garmin Ecoroute module (The kenwood KNA-EC100 is the exact same thing, but costs more). The ecoroute module plugs into the ODB-II port and transmits via bluetooth to the HU. It provides data like the RPMs, bat level, O2 levels, throttle position, etc. It also allows you to view error codes (if any) and clear them if you like.

The HU has a TON of inputs. I've never seen a car stereo have so many. I'll likely never use them all, but it's nice to know they are there.

Jake43
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and soon to be new to the Nissan Rogue. I am getting a 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD in the coming weeks and am already planning a major overhaul of the audio system. I have been reading everything I can find about previous users upgrades, but I still have a few questions. First of all, let me start out with my planned setup.

Head Unit
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH

Front Speakers
Polk Audio DB691 6"X9"

Rear Speakers
Polk Audio DB691 6.5"

Amp
Rockford Fostgate- Older model from a few years ago, works great

Backup Camera
Undecided at the moment

So for the most part, I have figured out what I am installing (I'm open to suggestions though!), but next comes the installation. I am not a novice, but I haven't handled such a complex car before (the previous install was on a '95 Nissan Pickup), so I definitely have a few questions I was hoping I could get answered.

1. Where the heck can I put the amp? I understand that the Bose model has a sub and amp located underneath the floor in the back, near the spare tire. But since I do not have the Bose model, is this space empty? If so, is it easy to access, and is it easy to get wires to and from? Also, how large is it?

2. I have never installed a backup camera before, so I am wanting to know how difficult it will to run the cable for it, and where I would run the cable.

3. In general, how difficult will it be to run wires for the speakers, amp, etc?

4. If the amp can't fit in the location from question 1, is there another suggestion? I don't want anything exposed/too visible, so a box in the back isn't desirable. Can I hide it under a seat or something?

Any other tips or problems you might foresee would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Jake
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Hey Jake,

It's been years since I was in to car audio upgrades etc., so I don't have a lot of experience with the Rogue but I have worked in the spare tire area to wire up my hitch, and I can tell you there is a ton of room under there. All you do is lift up the door/gate and you'll see the spare tire and a lot of space and good potential spots to mount your amp. Also there is power lines right there on both sides easily accessible - they run to each of the rear light enclosures.

Regarding the backup camera, there is at least one quality post with photos of the back bumper removal, intall of sensors and wiring install, accessible from the glossary.

Juding from this forum we don't seem to have a lot of DIY audio upgrade Rogue owners but I'm sure you'll get some more input that I'm able to give. Basically I'd start by checking out the cargo/spare tire area and then work on removing trim pieces to discover the pathways for your wires.

dolbydj
Car: nissan rogue

Instaling the amp will require you to run a power cable from the battery. In a small install like yours, with no subs, I would try to place the amp up front in the glove box area, etc, if it is small enough. This way you can easily access existing speaker wires and not have to pull up the carpets. Otherwise for a trunk install, you will run the power down one side of the car and the RCA cables from the deck down the other side. I'm not sure how your camera works, but it is most likely powered by a remote line from the deck. You will also have to run either new speaker wire from the amp or patch with your existing ones.

You may want to install the deck and speakers first to see how it sounds first before going through the trouble of putting in the amp. I had basic Clarion multiaxial speakers put in my car and are running off the stock deck and it sounds fine. Your new deck will be a lot more powerfull than stock. Also, if you are going to go through the trouble of running an amp, you might as well add a subwoofer. I'm sure the Rockford can handle it.

Jake43
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Kerrton
Thanks for the info regarding the spare tire area. it is good to hear that the area is large, I was trying forever to find a picture of the space, but could never find one. Also, thanks for the info on the backup cam install, I found the thread you were referring to. Very helpful.

Dolbydj
While I don't think the amp is small enough to fit in the glove box, that is definitely something to consider. I have thought about adding the sub, but don't really want a box sitting in the back for the sub. Is there someway that I could make it a little more integrated, and not loose space in the back?
Since I was planning on pulling up carpet and trim, I figured I would wire up everything needed for a sub and an extra amp, in the event that I found a spot/desired a sub enough to put up with a sub box.
And yes, you are right about the power for the camera, I will have to wire that up, and I was assuming I would just to pull it off the amp power line.

Thanks for the info, looking forward to hearing more!

Leo2005

1. I installed my amp under the back seat. Simply pull the back the seat and you will see a space where you can install amp/wires. Since I rarely having passengers in the back they almost never complain that seat is not too comfy.
2. Wires are pretty easy to install. Most likely you'll have to figure out during installations but you'll be able to run the wires under the panels/carpet. Panels next to the door could be simply removed by pulling because they closed with clips. RedVenom did a great job on posting pictures how to...check out his thread: Installing Boombox In Rogue
3. Keep original wires for speakers to simplify the project since you're not installing hi-tech speakers. As for the amp...look at the previous answer.
4. Answered in "1."

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

dolbydj wrote:Instaling the amp will require you to run a power cable from the battery.
and a REMOTE WIRE from the fuse box that will tell the amp when the car is turned ON/OFF so it doesnt drain the battery when the car is turned off - since the battery never turns off.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Jake43 wrote:Kerrton
Thanks for the info regarding the spare tire area. it is good to hear that the area is large, I was trying forever to find a picture of the space, but could never find one. Also, thanks for the info on the backup cam install, I found the thread you were referring to. Very helpful.

Dolbydj
While I don't think the amp is small enough to fit in the glove box, that is definitely something to consider. I have thought about adding the sub, but don't really want a box sitting in the back for the sub. Is there someway that I could make it a little more integrated, and not loose space in the back?
Since I was planning on pulling up carpet and trim, I figured I would wire up everything needed for a sub and an extra amp, in the event that I found a spot/desired a sub enough to put up with a sub box.
And yes, you are right about the power for the camera, I will have to wire that up, and I was assuming I would just to pull it off the amp power line.

Thanks for the info, looking forward to hearing more!
I think you'll find the pics in this thread helpful where-is-the-subwoofer-located-t322282.html
And if you scroll down towards the bottom of the first post in this thread there's more useful links on the factory system the-official-rogue-faq-information-answ ... 07234.html
Interesting thread on Bose system modification a-bose-system-modification-t392026.html
And finally this thread on replacing the door speakers anyone-put-new-speakers-in-t406912.html

juztplayin12
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe- slate grey

I have subwoofers being installed this weekend, but the sound in my 2012Rogue sucks. Its not the bose. The volume seems to stay low and muffled when it gets turned up. To make it louder and clearer should I get new speakers? a amplifier for existing ones? or a new aftermarket radio? I do not want to put much money into this as I don't drive it that often, but do want a better sound. What would be the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade this? Thanks all.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've always upgraded speakers first, so long as the head unit has the features I want.

Have you tried messing with all your EQ settings? Adding subs won't really help the "muffled" thing you've got going on.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:I've always upgraded speakers first, so long as the head unit has the features I want.

Have you tried messing with all your EQ settings? Adding subs won't really help the "muffled" thing you've got going on.
Yep, first and foremost slap some quality speakers in your ride. Often this will be more than sufficient, unless you're a major audiophile, then you'll probably want to replace the head unit.

There are several threads you might want to read before you get too far into the upgrades.
major-question-for-radio-specs-speakers ... t=speakers
installing-aftermarket-speakers-t449536 ... t=speakers
new-radio-t565322.html?hilit=speakers
11rogue-sv-pioneer-avh-p3400bh-t562674. ... t=speakers

Return to “Rogue Forum”