A Bose System Modification.....

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I've seen where quite a few people have upgraded their previous factory radio and even replaced their Bose System do to poor sound. I wanted to do the same but being short on funds I had to be somewhat creative.

I ended up purchasing from Crutchfield the Pioneer P4000UB, which they included all the xtras for free and sold me the OEM PAC2 for 1/2 price equaling $188 shipped. I purchased a Kicker Solarbaric Subwoofer and Amp from a friend for $60. I hooked up the Pioneer to the factory Bose system using the HPF and the dedicated SW out to the Kicker amp.

OMG, what a difference in sound! NIGHT AND DAY! It's so much cleaner!

For a total of 1.5 hrs and $248 I highly recommend this mod! You will not be disappointed! I guess as I have gotten older I have become more frugal and much wiser.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Were you able to retain steering wheel controls?

How involved is the wiring up of the OEM-2 to the existing Rogue wiring? Also, how does the OEM-2 connect to your new Pioneer head unit? Did you have to replace the amp that drives the factory speakers? Could you have kept the Rogue Subwoofer functioning if so desired?

Any additional details of your install would be very much appreciated as there just isn't very much info about replacing the Bose System in the Rogue.

Goblin

I did not keep the steering wheel controls, but that was my preference. You can purchase and adapter that direct connects into the 4000 and it will give you the controls.

The OEM2 was straight forward and wire to wire color match. The only thing you need to do is select option 1 in the wire diagram and bypass the OEM2 for the remote (blue/white) amp turn on. You direct wire it to the harness (blue/white). The OEM2 wires just like the harness and it just goes in between the head unit and harness. I wired everything first then connected the plugs. Totally easy install.

I did not replace the amp (Bose) as the OEM2 allows for the use of it.

The Bose subwoofer stays hooked up as before and functions normally. You do not need another subwoofer. I would say you will be much happier with the subs performance with this head unit. I could tell immediate that the base was deeper. I choose to HPF the speakers as I prefer the larger more powerful Solarbaric for the bass.

Honestly this was the easiest install I have ever done. I hope this helps.

bill875

Excellent! Thank you so much for going in to more detail. HPF??? High Pass Filter? Did you do that because of the sub and accompanying amp you installed? What all is involved in that?

Thank you for explaining everything. I really want to get a double din head unit, but I can't stand the idea of paying top dollar to have some shop do it when I feel I can manage to do it. The shop I priced things at wanted way to much for a Pioneer AVIC unit.

I would love to try to use the stock Nissan SAT and FM antenna if at all possible. I currently have XM, but I am quickly getting tired of the DJ blabber that has been on the rise since the SiriusXM channel merger. So I'm not sure if I will need the SAT antenna, but it would be nice.

Thanks,Bill

Goblin

Yes (high pass filter), it's part of the 4000 and you just set it to HPA or 125-50 depending on what you want. And, yes, I use it to drive the Bose because I have the Kicker subwoofer hooked up. This way I can drive the Bose system harder and louder with less distortion then if I went with the full range. Let's face it your not going to get much bass out of those little door speakers and the sub in the trunk is equal to a good boom box or my computer 2.1 system at best.

I am confident you can do the wiring yourself. Extremely simple procedure to pop out the dash and wire the harness and PAC unit. Good luck!

bill875

Thanks again for the information. I will definitely do this project in the spring when things in the Chicago area warm up.

Where did you put the sub? Is it in the back cargo area?

Merry Christmas!

Goblin

Yes, and it's wired so if I need to remove it it's as simple as d/c the speaker wires.

I give it to warmer weather. Funny it was the coldest night here in DC at 12 degrees and little light from a flashlight and I was outside putting it in. LOL. Instant gratification is my curse.

bill875

WOW! You put it in in 12 Degree temps with a flashlight? Nice!!! I am the same way though, I want instant gratification

I love the idea of being able to easily disconnect the sub. Did you leave the factory sub connected? If you disconnect the add-on sub, can you turn off the HPF and utilize the factory sub?

I just need the space sometimes, but I would hate to completely lose the low-end when I need the space.

I will definitely wait for at least 50 degree days to do the install.

Thanks again for the information

Goblin

I left the Bose subwoofer hooked up and run the HPF. You can run any configuration you want; I just chose to run the HPF and not utilize the factory subwoofer for bass. Having said that, the Bose system sounds great on its own without the addition of the additional sub once the aftermark radio is put in. You will be more than pleased with the sound either way.

bill875

Thanks for the information once again. Is the HPF option in the radio (set via option or menu), or is it a physical change that needs to be made?

Goblin

The HPF is set by the radio under the Audio menu.

bill875

Excellent! Thanks again for all of the information. When money isn't so tight next year, I will take the plunge.

Take care and Happy New Year!

lozen13

I take it your bluetooh will not work if you do this? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question

Goblin

That's correct, initially I give up blue-tooth, though I have the capability of adding it with this radio. I will wait a bit for the technology and price to go down. I found the Steering-Wheel control unit on eBay for $39 new/shipped. 1/2 what Crutchfield sells it for, so I went ahead and bought it. I'm sure the same will hold true next year with the blue-tooth. Have a great holiday.

Goblin

I just noticed that Pioneer makes a DEH-P7000BT unit that has built in Blue-tooth. It sells for only $269. That seems like a good deal considering the add on module for the unit I have is $180. BT just isn't that important to me as I am one of those rare people that does not use a cell phone.

I seen a Kicker Solabaric subwoofer on C/L recently for $40. It's the older round one like I purchased. I highly recommend it if you can get one used. I believe they stopped making the round ones. Man that speaker kicks some serious bass.

Goblin

I ended up going back and adding the steering wheel control to the Pioneer head set. I was against this idea at first but with over 6K songs on my iPod Classic I use the UP/DOWN button on the steering wheel to surf through them. This way I don't let go of the wheel in traffic and I'm not fumbling with the multi-control knob; which takes some getting use to.

jmcavalieri
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue AWD SL

Goblin wrote:I ended up going back and adding the steering wheel control to the Pioneer head set. I was against this idea at first but with over 6K songs on my iPod Classic I use the UP/DOWN button on the steering wheel to surf through them. This way I don't let go of the wheel in traffic and I'm not fumbling with the multi-control knob; which takes some getting use to.
do you have the iPod adapter with your pioneer head unit?

Goblin

The iPod connects to the Pioneer via the USB input on the back of the unit. I use the iPod provided usb cable to hook up to the Pioneer. The unit also controls the iPod.

You have the option of a front aux input for iPod or other devices with a 3.5 jack. I prefer to use the head unit to control the iPod. Oh, while hooked up with the usb the Pioneer does give you the option to control the iPod; so if you have a passenger that wants to surf through your song list they can with out having to learn how to use the Pioneer.

I hope this helps.

Goblin

I'm gonna thread jack my own thread to update what I've done with the factory Bose system. First off, the Pioneer is hands down the best sounding radio and if it wasn't for the functionality of the multi-control knob it would still be in my Rogue. As it is, I could never learn how to use it nor was I capable of anything but minor functions because of it.

So, in my venture to replace the Pioneer I purchased a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD59 . The short of it is the function was easy and I really liked the color match of orange. The sound was horrible and made the stock head unit sound better. UGH!

Now, on my third install; the Sony CDX-GT630UI . OK, this one is a keeper as it gives me both function (which I can use) and good sound; (not to the level of Pioneer) but much better than stock or JVC! This unit has some sweet features like Quick Brower and Jump Search for my iPOd Classic which holds 6600 songs. Also, to my surprise it also plays my Sansa music clip as well as displaying the songs and controlling the unit.

I hope this helps those of you looking to upgrade your factory Bose system inexpensively.

Return to “Rogue Forum”