Next Important Maintenance after 30k Miles

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

So just had my 2018 Rogue Hybrid into the shop. Prior to this maintenance all I had done was Oil Changes/Tire Rotations and Cabin Air Filter Replacements. Plan on giving the Rogue to the wife so I wanted to make sure its in tip top shape so I splurged for the "Major" 30k Service.

It included the following: (which hopefully they did, since I got no way to really verify it)

Oil Change
Tire Rotation
Balance Tires
Engine Air Filter replacement
Cabin Air Filter replacement
Brake Fluid Flush
Clean/Adjust Rear Parking Brake
Battery Service (remove terminal corrosion)
Install MOC oil and duel additives
Adjust/Inspect Drive Belt
Inspect HVAC
Inspect Brake Lines, hoses and connections
Perform Battery load test and alternator output
Inspect Driveshaft
inspect exhaust pipe and muffler
inspect disc brake pads, calipers and rotors (front and rear)
inspect gearbox
inspect suspension mounting bolts
inspect vacuum hoses
lube door hinges/ hood latches and cables
top of Washer fluid and inspect blades
Test and inspect coolant and cooling system
test and inspect power steering system and fluid
Replace front transfer case on AWD
Replace rear differential fluid on AWD

plus VA emissions inspection I shelled out $725 (probably a bit high) but figured I'd never had a major checkup etc.

What really is the next big thing that needs to be done and approximately what mileage?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't see a CVT fluid change on the list, did I miss it? Or did they miss the most important 30K item of all?

howie411

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:03 pm
I don't see a CVT fluid change on the list, did I miss it? Or did they miss the most important 30K item of all?
Hmmm, oddly enough I don't see that on the service menu sheet they gave me or the invoice of work completed. Seems odd that the Nissan dealership wouldn't mention that. I guess I can ask when I take it in for the 36k mile oil change.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I guess they'd rather sell you a tranny down the road. Do get it changed, there are plenty of threads in here about why.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

howie411

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:46 am
I guess they'd rather sell you a tranny down the road. Do get it changed, there are plenty of threads in here about why.

Good thing I got an extended warranty. :)

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:31 am
Ya know, there's a reason why we ask people to [url=<a class="vglnk" href="http://forums.nicoclub.com/search.php]SEARCH[/url" rel="nofollow"> the forum before creating a new topic. :facepalm:
This is the first post on a Rogue Hybrid for Maintenance so you know, it could be different. :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

howie411 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:04 pm
Rogue One wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:31 am
Ya know, there's a reason why we ask people to [url=<a class="vglnk" href="http://forums.nicoclub.com/search.php]SEARCH[/url" rel="nofollow"> the forum before creating a new topic. :facepalm:
This is the first post on a Rogue Hybrid for Maintenance so you know, it could be different. :)
Point taken, it sort of is, but only to the extent of periodic checks on the HV battery to make sure it isn't suffering capacity loss. The CVT isn't different, it simply has a sandwiched motor coupling instead of a torque converter. So advice about that will be the same for your ride as any other Nissan CVT. Basically that amounts to, "Change the fluid or die." Like I said, there are lots of relevant threads on the subject if you care to read up on it. If you plan on keeping the car forever, I also strongly recommend adding an aftermarket trans cooler (with a bypass valve, since you're still under warranty). The CVT will thank you many times over.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Your Rogue should only need Brake Fluid change, Oil & Filter change, Tire rotation, Diff fluid change (if applicable), Engine and Cabin air filter change by 30k miles. Since Nissan charges for full fluid flushes, I believe the first fluid service for the CVT should be around 60k then move onto the 30k mile interval.
VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:03 pm
I had 2 dealers give me conflicting information on that CVT fluid change frame. One said 30k miles the other said 60k miles. The one that said 60k miles is the one that I have a sour relationship with, while the one that said 30k miles, thought the 2nd gen Rogues had hydraulic fluid based Power Steering.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:06 pm
I had 2 dealers give me conflicting information on that CVT fluid change frame. One said 30k miles the other said 60k miles. The one that said 60k miles is the one that I have a sour relationship with, while the one that said 30k miles, thought the 2nd gen Rogues had hydraulic fluid based Power Steering.
If you want it to last, 30K, period. We've replaced way more than enough of them to know.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, let me break that down so other people don't need to break down. Nissan manuals say 30K for "severe" conditions, but in my experience (which is very substantial), here are some examples of severe service:

* Living on a hill
* Driving in hilly areas
* Having an occasional lead foot
* Occasional heavy loading, such as a full-car vacay
* Towing anything heavier than a bicycle (not a bicycle trailer, a bicycle)

So if you drive like grandma and live in Flatsville Flats, you can probably get away with 60K. However, offering that as generic advice for everyone is foolish and destructive. Whoever told you that should spend more time in the back with their technicians.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:01 am
Well, let me break that down so other people don't need to break down. Nissan manuals say 30K for "severe" conditions, but in my experience (which is very substantial), here are some examples of severe service:

* Living on a hill
* Driving in hilly areas

So if you drive like grandma and live in Flatsville Flats, you can probably get away with 60K. However, offering that as generic advice for everyone is foolish and destructive. Whoever told you that should spend more time in the back with their technicians.
Another question, maybe you could clarify. Should the transmission be flushed or Drained and Filled?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Never flush. Drop and clean the pan every couple-three drain and fills.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I should probably expand on that too. Forward flushing is fairly harmless, but it's also pointless. You'll do as much good by cleaning out the pan, without running the risk of dislodging junk that's better left alone. Back flushing is downright harmful, you're bound to dislodge junk (especially fine metal) that's trapped in the beehive filter and send it back into the front pump and valve body.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I dropped my pan and saw some debris or what not, I peeled with my fingernail and the powder coat chipped off. :bang

Yah, my ocd kicked in and I bought a new drain pain and left my rogue draining for a week.

I'm at the point it's too tedious to drop the pan anymore, and I don't want to mess anything up because it's not leaking and has been perfect ever since. :mike

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 pm
I'm at the point it's too tedious to drop the pan anymore, and I don't want to mess anything up because it's not leaking and has been perfect ever since. :mike
Nothing wrong with that, Casper. Dropping the pan is strictly a "going the extra mile" thing. Fresh fluid is what really matters.

casperfun

Thanks for your vote of confidence Vstar.

:domo: :greg:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:facepalm:

howie411

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:01 am

* Living on a hill
* Driving in hilly areas

Wonder how that plays into having a Hybrid? I'm assuming the CVT is not always active.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

howie411 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:30 pm
Wonder how that plays into having a Hybrid? I'm assuming the CVT is not always active.
That would be an incorrect assumption. The hybrid electric motor is sandwiched in between the engine and CVT with a clutch on each side. If only clutch 1 is engaged then the engine is either idling and driving the motor as a generator, or it's stopped. The engine has no starter motor, to start it the VCM engages clutch 1 and disengages clutch 2, then uses the electric motor as a starter. If only clutch 2 is engaged then you're in EV mode and the car can be stopped or moving with electric only. When both clutches are engaged the car is moving and the electric motor can either aid the engine for extra power or generate power to charge the battery. Together, that whole assembly simply takes the place of the torque converter in a gasser. The CVT is identical except for an electric auxiliary pump to keep it alive when clutch 2 is disengaged and there's no front-pump pressure. Other than that, the CVT still does all the same stuff and has exactly the same needs.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Flushing brake fluid and servicing the differentials yet no cvt service? When will Nissan learn that the weak link in their lineup doesn’t necessarily have to be. I had my 18 cvt serviced at 40k and I almost had to force the tech to do it. In fact I so distrusted the remaining fluid I came home and did it again. I’ll spill and fill from here on out every 20k and possibly sooner if the mood strikes. I’ve got 2 cases of eneos setting in the shop in waiting. My 09 Altima had the cvt replaced under extended warranty at 95k and I’ve gradually removed the factory swill and replaced it with valvoline and the trannies never been better. On ramps the cvt takes exactly 4qts and takes the same amount of time as an oil change. Preventative maintenance for the win.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:45 am
Preventative maintenance for the win.
+1

Yah, what he said. :dblthumb:

casperfun

Nissan salesperson: " I hate you". :tantrum: