Caveat Emptor "Dealer Recommended Service"

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
texasrogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL FWD; Premium Package

When completing my 25k service the other day, the service writer pointed out that my 30k services was up next and started down the list of items that should be addressed. All were in alignment with what was in my Nissan-issued Maintenance Schedule except the CVT fluid flush and fuel injector cleaning. I brought that to his attention that they were not in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule.

He said that the manual was outdated and was likely replaced by more recent updates to the maintenance schedule. I replied that I had obtained the very maintenance schedule I was showing him from Nissan's website. Having lost that angle, he still insisted the CVT servicing is required at 30k.

I pulled out my iPad which was already at the Nissan Maintenance Schedule's 30k mile service list; having anticipated this conversation at service close-out. CVT servicing was there but only for the NV200 taxi and the Pathfinder Hybrid. Since I'm not subjecting the vehicle to what would be considered 'extreme service' I pushed back further stating that Nissan itself stated that the CVT fluid service was only for the models specified.

He counters with "they're all the same, Pathfinder, Armada, Rogue, they're all the same." I wanted to continue to push my point and debate that the vehicles were most definitely NOT THE SAME but he may not have known better or was not going to vacate his upsell spiel.

What counts is that we, as consumers, are informed and aware of what is actually required in terms of servicing our vehicles and to adhere to that which is spelled out in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. TBI, fuel injector or other 'suggested' maintenance is unnecessary and only adds to the service department's bottom line. I'm not against using my dealer for routine maintenance or repairs, I'm very cautious about what I do versus what they recommend me doing. Many of the items I saw on their 'recommended service' were not adding any value at all, nor were they recommended in Nissan's manual.

I can only imagine the number of owners who fall prey to these 'recommended services' and are often told outright fabrications as to why they are needed.

Bottom line: always have documentation ready to present that supports your position, know what your manufacturer recommends and stick to your guns no matter what the service advisor/manager tells you. If they do not change their position, go to another dealer or garage. If you feel you've been taken advantage of, you have the option of utilizing social media and even contacting your local newspaper or TV station's consumer advocacy staff. Be aware though.....dealerships are major advertisers on most local stations and the station management may be reluctant to run a segment that would place that dealer in a negative light.

Anyone have any interesting tales regarding 'dealer recommended service' ??

cayenne_016
Car: 2016 Rogue SV AWD

Yes - just last week - the dealer was saying that alignment was on the 15K maintenance schedule when, in fact, it shows up on no maintenance schedule because it's an "as needed" repair. I had them do it anyway because we had a slight kerfuffle with a cement mixer that resulted in the rear bumper getting tapped by the truck but the dealer had no knowledge of this. Also replacing the engine air filter was on their list but it's actually on the 20K list on Nissan's website. This is what he told me over the phone when I scheduled the appointment - not something that they recommended after inspecting my specific vehicle. I declined that along with the cabin air filter because they wanted $54 to do the cabin filter and $39 to do the engine air filter. I did inspect the engine air filter and decided to replace it so I bought both at O'Reilley's for ~$50 and was done within 20 minutes even with the acrobatics needed to replace the cabin filter.

ras_oscar

I would never waster my time or breath arguing with a service writer about what services were to be provided on MY vehicle. I have never done ANY of the recommended interval services. My Altima I changed the oil at 3K and the trans fluid when it started slipping. Just traded it in after 230K miles and, unlike American cars, EVERYTHING worked including the A/C.

My Rogue I changed the CVT fluid at 60K, again as 120K and I changed the CVT at 125K, so now I do fluid at 30K on the replacement unit. Not because of the service schedule but my personal experience.

On the occasional case when I go the the dealer for service, I listen quietly while they run through the list of "recommended" service, and then ask for the total price. If I think its reasonable I do it. If not, I have him go through the list again item by item and approve or disapprove.

Also, prices are NOT the same dealer to dealer. My local dealership wanted $600 to change the CVT fluid. Another dealer same distance but in an adjoining state did it for $175. If you don't trust your dealer find another one.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I also never bothered to do any of the dealer recommended services. For instance, they recommended to change the battery in the key fob, I just didn't bother since it has a fresh new battery in it. They recommended a new CAF and EAF, and I told them I changed the CAF not too long ago; but I asked them to show me the EAF.

You should ask the SA to let you see if the "recommended service" for the part(s) is really needed or not, and they will take you to the lift where the car is or they will take pictures of why the recommended service is recommended.

Also, luckily for me, I have 2 Nissan dealerships I go to. The one in Coral Springs, where I got my Rogue from, and the one in Orlando, where I go to my services since its like 15 miles far from my place. The one closer to me quoted $209 + tax for a D&F for the CVT fluid. I am still on the hunt for the best price, cause anything over $200 for a D&F is too much.

Return to “Rogue Forum”