General Maintenance Questions. (tires/oil/etc)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Mrcjolsen
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD

I've put just over 5k on my certified used 2011 Rogue S.

Looking at the published Nissan schedule they don't break it down in intervals - like "Oil change every 5000 miles" But rather what to do at 30000 miles, 35000 miles etc.

They definitely want people to just drive their car to the dealership at certain odometer points and bring their credit cards.

I just need to know how long between oil changes and tire rotations. And do I need to take it to the dealer or can I go to Jiffy Lube and/or Big O without voiding my certified warranty?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Mrcjolsen wrote:I've put just over 5k on my certified used 2011 Rogue S.

Looking at the published Nissan schedule they don't break it down in intervals - like "Oil change every 5000 miles" But rather what to do at 30000 miles, 35000 miles etc.

They definitely want people to just drive their car to the dealership at certain odometer points and bring their credit cards.

I just need to know how long between oil changes and tire rotations. And do I need to take it to the dealer or can I go to Jiffy Lube and/or Big O without voiding my certified warranty?
those are not stupid questions at all! those are actually very common.

oil changes:
regular oil: 5,000 miles now a days, is the standard. the old days of 3500miles is out. our engines are made with tighter clearances and wear less parts-so the oil can last longer. i buy a jug of regular oil and standard filter and change it very 5,000 in all my cars. i check the levels every other week or so and thats my oil change routine.
synthetic: 5,000-15,000miles depending on your oil & filter.

tire rotations: this depends on your tire compound (winter: super soft / summer: super soft when hot / all season: medium compound) and it also depends how you drive. Mrs. ImStricken drives her car like a bat out of hell. the outsides an insides wear faster than the center - no point in rotation. she simply destroys tires lol. and it depends how much you drive. if you drive 10,000 per year = rotate them once a year, and that will be fine. if you drive an average of 25,000+ miles per year like i and Mrs. ImStricken, then twice a year is fine. doing so more often like some shops recommend is nothing more than a gimmick to get you in there.
Image Image Image Image

can you go anywhere aside from the dealer?
sure! just dont let them touch your transmission/fluid. that is a propriety blended fluid, and no one has yet made a fluid that nissan recognize as compatible. otherwise, anyone can do anything else. i personally do all my own work - unless it requires heavy machines like installing a tire on the rim. never had an issue.
the only time nissan will void your warranty is if someone touches your tranny on THIS particular car.

keitarosan
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

I have a 2010 Rogue SL AWD with a 30K kms. Should I rotate the tires now? What is the proper tire rotation on AWD vehicles? Also, I was wondering about the wheel balancing. Should I need to have it balanced after rotating it? Does anyone experienced TPMS going haywire after rotation?

I rotate my minivan's tires the simple way. You know... back tires to front x-cross. I wonder if this is the right way of doing it on AWD as well.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

keitarosan wrote:I have a 2010 Rogue SL AWD with a 30K kms. Should I rotate the tires now? What is the proper tire rotation on AWD vehicles? Also, I was wondering about the wheel balancing. Should I need to have it balanced after rotating it? Does anyone experienced TPMS going haywire after rotation?

I rotate my minivan's tires the simple way. You know... back tires to front x-cross. I wonder if this is the right way of doing it on AWD as well.
ImStricken wrote:
tire rotations: this depends on your tire compound (winter: super soft / summer: super soft when hot / all season: medium compound) and it also depends how you drive. Mrs. ImStricken drives her car like a bat out of hell. the outsides an insides wear faster than the center - no point in rotation. she simply destroys tires lol. and it depends how much you drive. if you drive 10,000 per year = rotate them once a year, and that will be fine. if you drive an average of 25,000+ miles per year like i and Mrs. ImStricken, then twice a year is fine. doing so more often like some shops recommend is nothing more than a gimmick to get you in there.
Image Image Image Image

can you go anywhere aside from the dealer?
sure! just dont let them touch your transmission/fluid. that is a propriety blended fluid, and no one has yet made a fluid that nissan recognize as compatible. otherwise, anyone can do anything else. i personally do all my own work - unless it requires heavy machines like installing a tire on the rim. never had an issue.
the only time nissan will void your warranty is if someone touches your tranny on THIS particular car.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

keitarosan wrote:I have a 2010 Rogue SL AWD with a 30K kms. Should I rotate the tires now? What is the proper tire rotation on AWD vehicles? Also, I was wondering about the wheel balancing. Should I need to have it balanced after rotating it? Does anyone experienced TPMS going haywire after rotation?

as R1 quietly stated, we had a similar thread open already on this topic. i merged the two together.

regarding balancing: you might have had rear tires that were not balanced right. you maybe didnt feel it. but now that they will be on the front, you might feel some steering wheel judder-play. is it a must to balance them? up to you. thats like saying, "i wanna take my watch off from my right hand, and wear it now on my left. is it mandatory to wash the watch first? at that point you might as well get a wheel alignment too. thats all totally up to you. would i? only if my wheels need it(vibrating) :crazy:

the rest of your questions can be answered in R1's quoted post.

keitarosan
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

Doh.... I should've read the forum first. Oh well... typical once a while forum visitor. Only visits when they're in trouble. Guilty as charged.

Thanks a lot ImStricken!!!

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

keitarosan wrote:Does anyone experienced TPMS going haywire after rotation?
We have not.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

keitarosan wrote: Has anyone experienced TPMS going haywire after rotation?
How so? What was the issue?

vidin
Car: 09 rogue s type awd

i just rotated mines and no issues with tpms..i usually just go to costco and get a case of mobil 1 and stop by the dealer for a case of oem filters.
I know around here the dealer charges $40 for an oil change and wash/detail/wiper replacement

Return to “Rogue Forum”