30K Mile Service

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kcob
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

2018 Rogue SE AWD. Dealer charged me about $405 for the following

Replace Engine Oil & Filter Full Synthetic Oil (Up To 5 Quarts) * Complimentary Car Wash & Vacuum * Rotate Tires * Replace Engine Air Filter
Replace In Cabin MicrofilterIncludes BG A/C Frigi-FreshDeodorizer & Sanitizer Service®

Feels like it's a rip off. On top, they are asking for an additional $450 for the following, based on the findings from Multi point inspection. Probably my fault, I should have shopped around, but does this look reasonable? Or should I shop around for a local mechanic? Any warranty concerns if these get done outside of dealership?

Rear Brakes
Issue: REAR BRAKE PADS 5MM. RECOMMEND REPLACE AT 3MM OR LESS

Brake Fluid
Issue:BRAKE FLUID IS DIRTY AND DARK IN COLOR
Recomendation:BG BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE SERVICE®

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Everybody feels that way at one time.

It’s over.

In couple weeks you won’t think about it.

Life 2 short to sweat that. :poke:

RGOLD
Car: 2015 Nissan Rouge

Oil change and filters change and tire rotation should cost around $100. Never go to a dealer for routine maintenance.

You paid life learning tuition to dishonest people.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

I'm only holding off doing my own service once the the maintenance package that came with my car is consumed. After that, I'll be doing basic maintenance myself. I'm already switching my winters and all-seasons at home anyway.

KoiMaxx

I'm only holding off doing my own service once the the maintenance package that came with my car is consumed. After that, I'll be doing basic maintenance myself. I'm already switching my winters and all-seasons at home anyway.

rowlands57

You need to find a service shop where everyone you deal with is not on some kind of commission. Those charges and recommended services, other than the oil change, are beyond silly. Read the maintenance schedule that came with the car and find someone who will do just what you need at the time recommended by Nissan, not the dealership. They have moved the scams off the sales floor and put them back in the service department. I frankly find it offensive how they rip people off on service that is just absolutely not needed.

KoiMaxx

Yeah. That's why I just bring the car in based off the maintenance schedule in the FSM not by the service schedule specified by the dealer (in my case is around 2000kms shorter than the FSM indicates)

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

OP paid essentially $400 for an oil change. Where I come from we certainly don't treat that robbery flippantly like post #2 does. That guy has either money or good sense running out his ears.

Why I haven't used a dealer for maintenance in 45+ years. Pay yourself that $400 bucks, you will never get paid per hour higher in your life. Do the math. Even allowing a half hour for the work and $50 for expensive oil & filter that's still like a $700/hr. pay rate.

casperfun

I’m poor. But I also know I am not adept in changing my leaking cvt boots.

I wish I knew a trusted cheap a$$ mechanic who can give me a decent repair job but I don’t.

Yeah it sucks that I ask to replace my cvt axles when my boots were leaking.

And the dealership just repairs the boot even though it practically costs the same in the end.

I don’t have the time to figure out the fastest and most affordable way to get my car on the road.

Just want it done right.

And it does freaking sucks to feel ripped off.

But I sure can’t fix the dang thing myself.

And hearing all the problems when fixing the cvt axles in this forum.

I really want it done right. Even though I just get repaired boots. Thx Nissan!

Yeah it stinks to high heaven paying like $700 to replace a cheap a$$ gasket on my intake manifold.

But I don’t know anybody who would do it for me for free or not give me a half a$$ job.

So I am stuck with the stealership, so shoot me.

But on things I can’t do, I want to pay to get it done right the first time,

Instead of redoing or going back in because of crap work. :stickhit:

I did save $600 by twist tying the broken wires of the detached steel ball when my door handle was not working.

Instead of paying the dealership for a electric actuator or whatever that thing is called.

I do TRY not to get ripped off folks if I can.

To the best of my capability.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I hope OP is talking CAD not USD, cause a quick math gives me $300 USD. Based off this conversion, $50 to $70 for synthetic oil change sounds reasonable, and $20 for tire rotation is reasonable too.

Brake Fluid: Unless you drive 20k miles every 5 to 10 months, I wouldn't go based off of the recommended intervals tbh. I always do mine either every 40k miles or 21k miles.

Brake pads: You still got a good 2mm before it reachs 3mm, so I wouldn't worry about it.

EAF: The filter costs like $20 at autozone and easy to replace
CAF: PITA due to how dumb the engineers are at Renault-Nissan, but its easy to replace and is like another $25 at autzone.

That sanitizer service is the money sucker out of this entire service. Your filters shouldn't be more than $50, other wise you are being screwed.

DO YOUR RESEARCH AND ALWAYS LOOKS FOR COUPONS AND DISCOUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rowlands57

Since I chimed in before I would like to add that, in addition to the dealer, you should also avoid the 'quick lube' shops too. If it's possible, they may be worse than the dealer because they combine the hard sell ripoff with incompetence.

texasrogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL FWD; Premium Package

I've posted in the past about my Nissan dealership's service adviser who 'suggested' for my 30k service having my CVT fluid replaced. I had downloaded the 2014 Nissan Service & Maintenance guide as a PDF onto my iPad and had it opened to the 30k service page. I said that I failed to see where on the page for this mileage interval that CVT service was required for my Rogue.

He replied that "oh, those manuals are always updated, yours is probably out of date." My response was a simple "I just downloaded this from Nissan's website."

He didn't have much to counter with at that point and most 'service writers' I've run into tend to back off when faced with a consumer that is armed with manufacturer-issued documentation. The role has gone from initial interpreter of vehicular issues to a sales position over the years but the consumer is not without recourse.

Realize that most dealerships, like the one I bought and have my vehicle serviced at, are very dependent upon the results of customer satisfaction surveys. Many of the front-line staff live or die by these things and it is here you can find the much-need equalizer.

At my 30k service visit, I only wanted the oil change, tire rotation and CAF replacement as stated in the Nissan Service guide. The adviser starts recommending a flush of the A/C intake system that deodorizes and 'cleans' the intake. The price is ridiculous. I reply that I just want the service I requested. He makes one final push citing the alleged benefits of said service and I calmly, but seriously say that I'm aware that their satisfaction surveys are important to them and I'm always asked if I was pushed towards getting services that weren't necessary. "You aren't trying to do that, are you? I mean, that would sink your review." He quietly backed down and wrote up my service request.

I've learned that in many dealerships, a rating of anything less than a 10 is equivalent with a zero. A rating of 9 would be a fail as far as the survey standards are concerned. He also added that if anything was not a "10" to let him know so he could correct the issue.

While that rating system is quite strict, the choice of the dealership to employ such methodologies is not my issue. But when faced with a service adviser who, as you both walk to your vehicle, asks you for all "10s" on your survey, you have the leverage of the survey to use in ensuring that you truly are satisfied with the service.

While I didn't notice it until I got home that my front license plate was bent from the 'free' carwash I received, there were discrepancies on the service order that left me uneasy. I had mentioned to the adviser while ringing up the transaction that the service order was not what I usually see and he said, oh, it's all there. I requested another copy, one with the correct information, but he waffled and did not produce one.

That type of behavior is rather common here in the San Antonio area where a predominate demographic typically exhibits this lazy, "half-arsed is good enough" work ethic on a regular basis. It's a constant battle when you expect things to be done correctly and it is present at every level of consumer business.

No part prices for the CAF, no list of oil filter parts and prices, etc. I popped my hood and checked the oil and even pulled the CAF (a royal PITA due to its location) to check these items were replaced as requested. The oil was fresh and the CAF was new. No multi-point inspection attachment and the tire pressures were not checked (I deliberately had them at 40 PSI for the winter.)

The end result? I'm not going to make a second trip to the dealer to correct a bent tag, I undid that issue. I also adjusted my tire pressure.

But the satisfaction review? Sunk.

As consumers we have options and sadly, you must always be on your toes.

casperfun

Personally, considering the history of the Nissan Cvt, i would have the dealership replace the CVT fluid at 30k if I knew then what i know now.

The chance of your transmission going to crap is higher than ending up with a motor oil related failure.

So if i didnt know how to change it, I definitely let the dealer change it.

When my service advisor gives me the pamplet for recommendations on my rogue, i just tell them i'll keep it in mind for the next time I come back.

If i can do the procedure myself, i do it on my own time.

If its too difficult for me to do, i pay the premium and let the dealer do it.

Not happy about it, but i want it done right by a Nissan tech at least.

bassinbill42
Car: 2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6

I changed my own CVT fluid after viewing a YouTube video. Bought CVT fluid (NS-2) at Advanced Auto (buy one get one 1/2 off special).
I have AWD so 7 quarts drained equals 7 quarts replaced. $9.99/quart. Approximately $72 including tax. Shifts like a champ!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

bassinbill42 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:05 pm
I changed my own CVT fluid after viewing a YouTube video. Bought CVT fluid (NS-2) at Advanced Auto (buy one get one 1/2 off special).
I have AWD so 7 quarts drained equals 7 quarts replaced. $9.99/quart. Approximately $72 including tax. Shifts like a champ!
Do you have a link for that deal?

casperfun

Speaking of deals.

I scored 12 quarts of Nissan Oem NS-2 fluid for $80 back in 2017.

Shipping did cost $30 but considering everything, it was a nice find.

That’s a damn awesome deal too! You have a better chance of finding a unicorn instead of finding a deal like that again.

I even message the eBay seller for allowing me to maintain my rogue and keep my family safe.

I did 5 drain & fills so far.

Four of them in a 2 month period back in 2017.
One recently last summer.

Still have 6 quarts left of oem fluid.

Yah babbyyyyy! :domo:

Ever so grateful. :mike

Return to “Rogue Forum”