TheBigS_42's SR20DET Swap.

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
TheBigS_42
Car: 93 240sx Hatch

Welcome everyone to my SR swap thread.

Some background information:

I picked up a 93 240sx hatchback cheap at the beginning of this past summer. The deal was that it has a blown engine, in particular the head gasket. After doing a bit of reading and talking to some people I decided that I would pull it and swap in an SR redtop myself.

The car started as near stock so I was starting from scratch. I did quite a bit of searching around on the forums and tried to expand my knowledge on parts required/recommended for the swap as well as the process itself. This was my first engine swap and my knowledge and experience with motors was fairly limited before beginning.

Below is a list of significant parts or mods that I have refined and gone forward with over the past few months:

CXRacing Aluminum Rad
CXRacing Dual Electric Fans
CXRacing FMIC kit
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Heater hose kit
Greddy Airinx filter kit
Greddy Type RS BOV /w recirculation adapter
Greddy turbo elbow
Megan Racing downpipe
Megan Racing Drift Spec Catback exhaust
ACT HDSS Clutch Kit
New front bumper signal lights
Non-HICAS power steering pump
BOSCH O2 Sensor
300 ZX Fuel Filter
NKG BKR6E-11 Plugs
Autometer Oil Pressure and Boost gauge

Various Oil Seals and GasketsCountless nuts and bolts Tools I didn't have already---------

Thanks for reading and please feel free to add any comments or suggestions!
Last edited by TheBigS_42 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markex33
Car: 95'nissan 240 sx

that tube is problaby the EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION PIPE (egr)don't worry about it ,sr's don't have that. I wouldn't spend money on electric fans, instead I'buy a set of pulleys for the engine.

TheBigS_42

Thanks. So for the EGR, do i just remove it from the pipe it is connected to now if I am intending to get a new downpipe? Also what do I do with the other end then which is connected to the metal and rubber tubing going to the stuff mounted to the car?

For the fans, I read somewhere the stock mechanical fan on the SR sucks hp and doesnt fit properly in the engine bay which is why I was thinking about the electrical fans. Anyone have any input on that?

TheBigS_42

Anyone? :P

supreamS14
Car: 96 240sx S13-blacktop Sr20deT

I got altima dual fans from the junkyard for $35! Theres a thread on here that tests difrant combos and the best combo was the koyo alm. rad , altima dual fans and custom air diverter plates. I had to trim the fan shroude but they work great for me. They even tested flow with the altima fans out flowing everything!

$35>$200+

I put my silancer on my 3" turbo back and it makes the turbo sound crazy-sick without the loud exhaust sound! I some time wander what it would be like to of kept the stock exhaust and just added a CUT-OUT

TheBigS_42

Thanks I'll look into that!

Still trying to figure out what the deal with this EGR contraption is. Engine is taking longer to get shipped than I hoped too so I have time to look around.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

Here's that radiator test http://home.satx.rr.com/nissan...t.htm The stock fans are good if you have the shroud and under/over rad panels to direct the air flow properly. Good luck on your build...pics if possible.

TheBigS_42

Thanks. Soooo, it turns out the guy I was going to order my engine from is pretty useless when it comes to customer service, so apparently when I thought it was being processed to be shipped, I think he sold it to someone else and wont admit it because he wont return phone calls from the shop now. (Thankfully I hadn't given him a dollar of my money) So I'm back onto looking for an engine again somewhere in Canada. a relative of mine has done quite a bit of buying and selling of import engines in canada and is going to give me some contacts to places he recommends. I was wondering, has anyone had any experience with buying engines off ebay? I know there is always that certain skepticism involved but with other items I have had a very successful experience with the site and whenever pay pal is used your pretty much safe I have found. I am flipping through it now and there are quite a few engines and front clips for sale in Canada, and at reasonable shipping.

TheBigS_42

Pics hopefully coming tomorrow night if I have time. Also, if anyone has a link to a topic or a site or what not, or just can list of the top of their head, what all can come out of the engine bay that is not required for the sr engine, or what must be modified. Im trying to clean it best I can, and without taking a whole bunch of stuff out that im going to forget where it goes and just make more work for myself, I am trying to figure out if there is stuff that Isn't part of the setup for the SR.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

Many people ditch the charcoal canister and the emissions stuff. That bracket for your ignition coil can go also.

sped56737
Car: 2006 Mazdasped 6, 1995 Tacoma, 1965 Mustang, 1991 240sx, car hauler

planning on doing this soon, going to watch for updates!

TheBigS_42

Alright, due to some rain I got the day off work so as promised here come some pics:

Just got her home.

Front view.

Left front.

Left rear.

Rear.

Seats. They need a bit of help, probably going to get replaced eventually.

Dash, its all there, just needs a stereo which I have and dash kit and harness are on the way.

Engine bay prior to any work.

Good old rusty battery tray.

Engine top

Another engine shot, sizing up the task ahead :P

Shifter coming out

More hoses and such disconnected

Almost...

And done! ( I know the intake and exhaust are probably not the ideal place to chain it but it was getting late and the motors blown anyhow :P) Worked like a charm after some careful maneuvering.

Fuse box mess.

Yummy oily greasy mess.

Why the bumper is coming off to be repaired

Drive shaft removed

After an hour of using the power washer

Almost clean enough to eat on :P

Wire mess inside, I checked and its all there at least.

ECU Removal

EGR? This is where I'm still a bit confused. Whats gonna happen here, with the whole pipe coming off the exhaust going to the silver (pump?) and black box contraption? Input appreciated!

Bumper off, that was a bit of a pain to reach all the bolts

Checkin out the speaker situation, what do you know there isnt any in the doors haha. Happens to be JBL's installer properly in the rear at least.

----------

So there you have it. Needs some serious TLC, but for 750 bucks I don't think you can complain. Any help with the picture of what I'm thinking is the EGR would be great. Also I've got the canister itself out now but not the bracket and what not. What is the purpose of removing it altogether? What was its original purpose? Thanks!

vocationalzero
Car: 92 Too For Dee
87 BMW 635 CSi
06 Dodge Dakota Night Runner Edition
06 Nissan Sentra S

1)EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation - it just re burns some of the exhaust for cleaner emissions.2)charcoal canister - collects excess fuel fumes for cleaner emissions.

3)Car performance won't be affected by removal of either of said above items.

TheBigS_42

Thanks. So when removing the EGR, I suppose it would be easiest to take the downpipe with it from the KA motor since that nut is pretty seized on there as I hear is usual? This is starting to make sense, however what all can I take off with the EGR?

Does the whole setup along with the black box and 2 small hoses, 1 large hose and 1 electrical connection come off? If so is the electrical connection (sensor?) just left or how does that work? If someone wants to point out on MS Paint or something and circle what can be removed unless the whole thing is being removed that would be awesome. Here are some close ups below:

-------

Same deal with the charcoal, are the hoses just capped off, what about the one from the fuel tank, I would assume that has to be reconnected to something else?

I did a quick search on here for some guides on that, I found some that look ok, anyone have one they recommend?

Thanks for the help!

TheBigS_42

Anyone got any ideas, I'm going to try and do some work tonight.

TheBigS_42

Cleaned like crazy some more today tried to get as much gunk off as I could before I do any engine bay touch up work. Its not in too rough condition paint wise so I think im just going to use the 10 dollar Canadian Tire auto spray cans, I tested one on a spot and it worked out pretty good actualy. Also this is an excuse for me to BUMP this thread so I can ask again for help if anyone knows how to help the issues two posts above that would be great! :P

AE86_MT
Car: 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S

Lookin good

TheBigS_42

Thanks. Still lookin for assistance with the EGR and Canister. Anyone who can help, just look up a few posts.

supreamS14

Yank all this out and get a new down pipe!

this can come off 2!

Does that help you?

TheBigS_42

Very much so! You confirmed my hunch haha. Only last question is what to do with the sensor type dealy you can see plugged in in the second photo. Just tie it up aside?

Thanks!

supreamS14

un plug it, pull it out, throw it in a box somewhere and let it marinate for a year then eat it

TheBigS_42

supreamS14 wrote:un plug it, pull it out, throw it in a box somewhere and let it marinate for a year then eat it
Thanks

Went at trying to take the downpipe off the rest of the exhaust tonight so that I can just take the whole thing with the EGR out in one piece for convenience. The bolts holding the downpipe on are pretty dang seized so I hit them a few times with some liquid wrench and ill give em a try tomorrow and see if they will come.

Taped up everything on both sides of the engine bay yesterday and removed a few other parts to make getting at everything a little easier for painting. Also sanded down/sealed any small rust spots before I touch up the engine bay with paint.

Pictures tomorrow hopefully.

TheBigS_42

AHHH! Can't get the stupid bolts off, have hit them 4 or 5 times with liquid wrench over the past few days with no luck, im going to try again this morning. Any suggestions? Might have to resort to c

Also, new red top engine has been ordered! This time from an actually decent company that has been really helpful. Should be here by thursday.

TheBigS_42

Ya, nope the bolts arn't coming off, in fact every bolt on all the hangers and brackets are more than seized too. Not quite sure how im going to get the exhaust off.

SR20S13
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx - SR20 INSIDE....

yaayyyy...another Dark Blue S13 Sr....lol...heres mine btw...G/L with the build...

supreamS14

Did you hit them with an impact wrench or a breaker bar? Are you keeping the stock exhaust? If not is there any way you could you cut it off? I took my whole exhaust off by un hooking the o2 sensor's , grounds , mount to the tranny and the rubber hangers. If you are planing on keeping it you might want to consider something a little more free flowing before you drop the sr in. Turbo's love turbo back exhaust's! Its an eazy way to gain 15-30whp!

Have some extra money for belts, plugs, z32 fuel filter, gear oil for the tranny, coolent, oil and extra oil and filters so you can change the oil after running it. I changed mine after 150 miles then after 600 miles. Also some simple things you can change with the motor out are front and rear main oil seal's, water pump, clutch and rear tranny seal. Check the bottom of your oil pan for dents(Very bad)! Also a good thing to have is an oil pressure gauge and a boost gauge. I suggest to not mount them on your a piller. Thats how I have mine mounted and rice lookin cars are like donuts to cops here in the USA. I love the sleeper look. I would de-rice my car but It's gonna be a track only car after my baby is born in 3 months! I'm gonna need something some thing bigger and safer for my family.

What will you be using this car for?

TheBigS_42

supreamS14 wrote:Did you hit them with an impact wrench or a breaker bar? Are you keeping the stock exhaust? If not is there any way you could you cut it off? I took my whole exhaust off by un hooking the o2 sensor's , grounds , mount to the tranny and the rubber hangers. If you are planing on keeping it you might want to consider something a little more free flowing before you drop the sr in. Turbo's love turbo back exhaust's! Its an eazy way to gain 15-30whp!

Have some extra money for belts, plugs, z32 fuel filter, gear oil for the tranny, coolent, oil and extra oil and filters so you can change the oil after running it. I changed mine after 150 miles then after 600 miles. Also some simple things you can change with the motor out are front and rear main oil seal's, water pump, clutch and rear tranny seal. Check the bottom of your oil pan for dents(Very bad)! Also a good thing to have is an oil pressure gauge and a boost gauge. I suggest to not mount them on your a piller. Thats how I have mine mounted and rice lookin cars are like donuts to cops here in the USA. I love the sleeper look. I would de-rice my car but It's gonna be a track only car after my baby is born in 3 months! I'm gonna need something some thing bigger and safer for my family.

What will you be using this car for?
Thanks for the advice! Im going to run out right away and pick up a breaker bar as I dont actually own one. Hopefully that will get me somewhere. At first I was thinking of keeping the stock cat-back for now and then eventually replacing it but now I think since im down there im just going to get it done and do the whole deal. The only thing holding the whole exhaust on now is the two rubber hangers in the middle of the exhaust and the two at the back but none of the bolts will budge. Is cutting the rubber going to make life miserable for me to replace it? Ill see where the breaker bar takes me but I know it wont fit in the back where you have to reach above the muffler unless its easier to just take the pins and slide them out some how?

As for the rest of the setup, I am working on a somewhat limited budget for now as I am going through university right now and have to fork over a bit of money for that :P. However I will consider some of the things you have mentioned. I imagine changing the clutch is much easier with the engine/tranny out of the car, but is it going to be too much of a pain if I leave it for a while and just get it up and running first?

The car will be used primarily for daily summer driving as up here where I live we get a solid few feet of snow and -30 C degree temps in the winter. Other than maybe taking it to the strip once or twice I have no track or autocross or what have you plans as of now (don't actually know of any around here) but I would like to just get it running as a daily driver first with a little bit of minor mods for added fun. Next year will be suspension work.

TheBigS_42

Got the exhaust off!!!! Woot lol. Managed to get the rubber hangers off the car with a bit of pain and bashing the bolts came out. Its in pretty rough condition so its probably a good thing to replace it anyhow. Got any recommendations for a good full exhaust from turbo back? Shipping to Canada is an essential too unless I can find somewhere in town that will ship it although we only have 2 or 3 places that deal with that kind of stuff here.

supreamS14

I cheeped out and ordered an invidia cat back from ssautochrome and they sent me an xs power catback . It looks close but its Not the same! Some Police here in the USA are probably bigger D!<k$ than Canada( I have always wanted to see Canada, Ive heard nothing but good things). If the law is a problem then there some good stock looking catbacks that flow very well and are not crazy loud. Circut sports and megan off the top of the noggin. These will make your car look more of a sleeper, anti rice and classy in my opinion. I havent personally heard these but you can hear them on youtube. Throw some factory nissan areo BOOM your car will look classy! If your hoppin on the rice band wagon than that includes big exhaust cans, big wings, crazy bodykits, huge wheels and dont forget the neons. There is a mass selection of big can catbacks. Some cheeper ones might not have good fitment. I suggest at least looking at the clutch threw the pressure plate to make sure it is not toast. People in japan dont buy a silvia/180sx 5 speed to drive it like a grandma.

TheBigS_42

I was looking at the Megan cat-back, I may end up going with that although I will do a bit more looking around first. Laws arn't too much of an issue where I live, we don't have emissions testing where I live so once a car has passed its safety your good to go unless you do something that is breaking any laws with you car and get caught :P. Im not gonna be jumping on the rice wagon so sleeper looking yet effective is definitely what im going for. I will look into some areo next summer when I get the body done/painted. Also when the motor comes I will take your advice and at least check out the clutch/pressure plate and see what kind of condition its in. heck maybe ill luck out and get one thats been replaced In the middle of doing some painting in the engine bay at the moment, just waiting for my primer to dry. Camera is with another family member atm but when I get it back ill throw some pics up.

Thanks again!

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”