Looking to purchase 2017 Rogue. Scared of CVT. Reliable?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
waid302

As the topic suggest, I am thinking about purchasing a 2017 Rogue with about 45,000 miles. Hertz rental fleet has tons of these can be purchased for about $13,000 like this one:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =229436356

I like Rogue because its roomy and the seats are more comfortable than any other compact SUV in its class. It has lots of room in the back which is a must for my tall kids. When I get a cars/suv, I usually keep it for at least 200,000 miles. I usually at ATF cooler to increase the life the automatics and it works. I have 2000 Accord V6 which is known for bad transmission but mine is at 200,000 miles and still going strong with really big ATF cooler. I am little scared of Nissan's CVT due to of all issues.

How reliable is the CVT in 2017 Rogue?

If the CVT does go out, what is a typical cost to get it repaired?

Any other issues I should look for in 2017?

Thanks

Waid

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I came from the CG Accord body style (98-02) not too long ago and also had the 4spd AT, and I also came from an 05 Odyssey that had a 5spd AT, each respectively had around 121k-151k miles on them. We have two new Nissans, my 2016 Rogue and my moms 2018 Kicks. So far with my Rogue, which has 73k miles on it, the CVT didn't go at all, which is good. I also purchased an extended warranty (hopefully they fulfill their promise) so that I won't be paying the huge price for the transmission repair/replace.

And one thing in mind, I ABUSE the HECK out of my Rogue while taking great care of it (I have major OCD for cars) and it hadn't have an issue yet. This year alone, I'm estimating that I will be adding 50k miles onto my Rogue due to work and school combined. The CVTs in the Rogue has improved over time, since many of us 2nd gen Owners didn't had an issue out of warranty (most of us have extended warranties).

If you are iffy on the CVTs, just get an extended warranty (DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY A WARRANTY).

waid302

Nissan has been making CVT for a long time now. I would think they would have fixed CVT problems by now.

Waid

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You'd be surprised. Stick around and do some reading, we've got plenty of horror stories.

BTW, if you buy a car from a rental fleet, you've shot yourself in the foot already. They're disposable, abused, and patched up for the uninformed buyer.

Also, an ATF cooler isn't relevant for a CVT. CVT fluid is nothing like ATF, and it has a very specific temp range - above or below and you're calling for a tow truck.

waid302

AZhitman wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm
You'd be surprised. Stick around and do some reading, we've got plenty of horror stories.

BTW, if you buy a car from a rental fleet, you've shot yourself in the foot already. They're disposable, abused, and patched up for the uninformed buyer.

Also, an ATF cooler isn't relevant for a CVT. CVT fluid is nothing like ATF, and it has a very specific temp range - above or below and you're calling for a tow truck.
Wow that does not sound good. I drove a 2017 SV with 50,000 miles yesterday seems to drive OK. It also came from rental fleet.

https://www.andymohr.com/inventory/2017 ... t0hp512999

Anyway or anything I could check or look for in the used CVT?

Waid

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Like any good product, the vehicle should sell itself. If you have to be talked into buying it, then it's not the right vehicle for you. My advice? Buy something else.

CVT: Vibration while accelerating

Nissan CVT rant - from the people who know them best.

POLL: Would You Buy Another Nissan?

I AM DONE WITH THIS BRAND!!!--- Rant!

waid302

Rogue One wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:04 am
Like any good product, the vehicle should sell itself. If you have to be talked into buying it, then it's not the right vehicle for you. My advice? Buy something else.

I was also considering Mitsubishi Outlander or the Sport version. However, Mitsubishi also uses same Jatco CVT8 transmission so I assume it will have same issues as well.

Waid

datechboss101

waid302 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 am
Rogue One wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:04 am

I was also considering Mitsubishi Outlander or the Sport version. However, Mitsubishi also uses same Jatco CVT8 transmission so I assume it will have same issues as well.

Waid
A percentage of Mitsubishi is owned by the Nissan-Renault alliance. I had a Mitsubishi Outlander as a rental when my Rogue was in the body shop under an insurance claim due to some sociopath vandalizing it and the Outlander was lifeless. You'd be better off with a Rogue than the Outlander, since the Rogue is more reliable than the Outlander.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

I've been driving my 17 Rogue SL for just going 18 months now and so far I've been very happy with it. It only has 13K miles on it though, so mileage wise I can't really give a solid opinion as far as reliability is concerned. I've been constantly reading reviews and reports about it, especially about its CVT, so I'm well aware about possible issues in the future and doing preventative maintenance. I don't baby it, but I don't drive it like a maniac either. And where I live, we have to contend with ice ruts and -30C weather in winter and salt slush and potholes in the spring, so it does get exposed to some extreme environments.

I say, do as much research as you can. But ultimately if you feel that it's worth the risk (or you really just want to get it :naughty:), then I guess you might as well go on ahead. :bigthumb:

tedc
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

Before purchasing my 2018, I checked with several Nissan service departments about CVT issues.
1. Design improvements showing promising results (much lower failure rates)
2. Requires frequent transmission fluid changes every 25,000 with only Nissan spec fluid (proper fluid level is extremely important)
3. Do NOT tow more that rated specifications. Not designed for HD towing.
I'm a firm supporter of proper fluid changes, and will be extra careful owning a CVT for the first time. 31.7 MPG on a 350 mile trip at 70 MPH. Very smooth transmission going up and down hills.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Wow, just a decade ago it was known as lifetime fluid in the Nissan CVT.

Now your suppose to change it every 25,000 miles? Almost comparable to doing a long oci for your motor oil.

Gets me wondering if transmission oil should be changed every 6000-7000 miles and motor oil every 25,000 miles would be better since the transmission always goes first before the engine does.

Wouldn't be surprised if a Nissan vehicle would last longer that way considering the CVT history on these cars.

Interesting. :blush:

tedc
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

It is my opinion all manufactures over rate the miles one can travel before fluid changes. My AWD Ford Escape's PTU (power transfer unit fluid) looked like tar at 30,000 despite the service manager saying it was not required based on a Ford bulletin. I did not accept this and decided to change it myself every 20,000 and my MPG actually went up.

datechboss101

casperfun wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm
Wow, just a decade ago it was known as lifetime fluid in the Nissan CVT.

Now your suppose to change it every 25,000 miles? Almost comparable to doing a long oci for your motor oil.

Gets me wondering if transmission oil should be changed every 6000-7000 miles and motor oil every 25,000 miles would be better since the transmission always goes first before the engine does.

Wouldn't be surprised if a Nissan vehicle would last longer that way considering the CVT history on these cars.

Interesting. :blush:
The SAs over at the Nissan dealer in Coral Springs was surprised that I didn't do my CVT fluid change at 30k miles. The SAs over at Reed Nissan in Orlando told my dad to change every 60k miles.

Yet, NISSAN USA still resists to give us the trans fluid dipstick! :wtf2:

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Getting all kinds of info myself. Called three dealers here around Montreal and two tell me not to change the cvt fluid unless its required depending on what the "computer" tells them and the other says to change it at 100k km. Called Nissan Canada and they tell me to rely on the two dealers and change the fluid only when its "required".

datechboss101

Maximus099 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Getting all kinds of info myself. Called three dealers here around Montreal and two tell me not to change the cvt fluid unless its required depending on what the "computer" tells them and the other says to change it at 100k km. Called Nissan Canada and they tell me to rely on the two dealers and change the fluid only when its "required".
Thats sounds about right where the stealerships recommend to "change" (flush) the CVT fluid around. 60k miles/100k kilometers. How many kilometers is on your Rogue? Since you live in Montreal, with harsh winters, its better to do a D&F now instead of a flush. The D&F takes half the amount of a flush.

glaze182
Car: 2009 Rogue

Stay away from Nissan CVT's , they are junk. Buy a Honda or Toyota with regular geared auto transmission. The CVT is a crap shoot and too many horror stories of laying out 4500 dollars for a new CVT at less than 100K miles. They also overheat on 95 degree days going uphill on the interstate and you suddenly find yourself going 40 MPH in protection mode. It is dismaying to see every other car make it up the hill under the exact same conditions. This has happened to me twice. It also chews up ball joints, have replaced both control arms twice and it is asking for thirds. Passenger seat sensor ($1500.00 to replace went bad, which shuts off passenger airbag, fixed with a simulator which tricks it into thinking an adult is seated and turns bag on. Many other smaller problems, blower motor, steering clockspring, drive shaft, etc. This car will pick your pocket regularly, Stay away.

JonhG
Car: going to buy Infiniti

Hi guys, I'm also aiming to buy a Rogue soon, but I'm looking at a newer 2019 version . Maybe someone here can share their experiences? Starting from the place of purchase and ending with experience in operation? I'm from NY, we have a local lease deals , at the moment it is one of the few options I have found. Maybe someone will offer other options.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

We bought a 2015 Rogue SL in Oct 2014 brand new from a Nissan dealer. This is our 5th (I think, maybe 6th) car we have bought brand new from a dealer.
So far(knocking on wood) this has been the least troublesome, most reliable brand new vehicle we have ever owned. It is my wife's daily driver, and we have almost 50,000 miles on it.

We live on a gravel road about 1/4 mile off pavement. Mileage is about 60/40 mix of Hwy/City. We get temps of -20F in winter with plenty of snow and ice, and over 100F in the summer. So I feel like our Rogue gets subject to a wide variety of driving conditions, with the biggest exception being high altitude. Never been to the mountains with this car. We have done nothing to this car besides oil changes, air cleaner, and Cabin air filter changes. Still on original wipers, battery, brake pads/rotors, and tires.

At 4 and a half years of driving to this point, we have zero complaints. I would have liked the mpg to be better, but compared to v6 powered options, we really can't complain about 25-30mpg that we have been getting.

FWIW, I have done all of the maintenance myself. Dealership performed the very first oil change because it was free, but everything else has been done by myself in my garage. Tire rotations and oil changes are simple stuff. But I will be taking in to the dealer for the CVT fluid flush this fall. 5 years is the longest I want to go on that.

Qusserel

JonhG wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 pm
Hi guys, I'm also aiming to buy a Rogue soon, but I'm looking at a newer 2019 version . Maybe someone here can share their experiences? Starting from the place of purchase and ending with experience in operation? I'm from NY, we have a local lease deals , at the moment it is one of the few options I have found. Maybe someone will offer other options.
Hi John. I am also from NY, to be exact from Brooklyn. I recently leased Nissan Pathfinder from Nissan lease deals Brooklyn. It costs me $ 299/month. They have quite a wide range of Nissan, there are 2019 Rogue and Rogue Sport models too, so I advise you to look there.

mpscotia

Went from a 2015 SV AWD to a 2018 SL AWD and couldn't be happier. Our 2015 went 100k kms in ~3years with 0 mechanical problems (had the roof rack replaced due to corrosion).

Our 2018 has had a bad radio, which was replaced under warranty a week or two ago, but other than that in our experience(s) we wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Rogue at this point.

Return to “Rogue Forum”