Concerns about CVT Trans

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
heidi
Car: Nissan Rogue

I have had my new Rogue for about 3 weeks now and love it except for one thing. I have noticed a sort of vibration when I am between 20 and 40 mph. I took it back to the dealer to get this checked and they told me it was normal and that the CVT was just doing it's job. They told me if I put it in manual mode the vibrations should disappear. So, for the last week I have been monitoring the vibrations as to when they occur and I've found that if I put the CVT into manual mode during the vibration I can see that the gear is too high for the speed the car is going. For example, during one of these vibration periods at 30mph, when I put the car into manual mode, the car was in 6th gear, which, being a stick shift driver for 30 years, is too high a gear. The car should be in 3rd or 4th gear, not 6th. Once I down shift to a lower gear, the vibration goes away. If I just leave the car in automatic mode during the vibration, the vibration will go away once the car downshifts on its own or I increase the speed. Obviously speeds 40 and above don't have this problem. I will be taking my car to the dealer again next week to better understand how this transmission really works, but I am not happy with this vibration and it seems to me that the car can't be performing at it optimal level if it's vibrating, no matter what the dealer tells me. I didn't notice this when I test drove the Rogue. Has anyone else been experiencing this problem? Your responses would be greatly appreciated!
Modified by heidi at 11:48 AM 11/27/2007

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

Hmm i didnt hear any vibrating when i test drove a Rouge. Someone on here said they test drove two Rouges and it had a vibration i don't know what they are talking about. My moms 06 Murano has 30,000 miles on it and it has a CVT transmission and no vibration. Could it be the drive by wire electronic throttle?

heidi
Car: Nissan Rogue

I don't know if vibration is the correct term. It's basically the same feeling one would get driving a stick shift in a gear that is too high for the speed the car is going. It's sort of a chattering.......not something you can hear, but something you can feel in the steering wheel and the gas pedal.

jasper24

I also have the same concern-- this doesn't feel right to me either.

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I understand the feeling and it's like a bit of a chatter or lag, like you get with a manual transmission. I find that when the rpms are at 1000-1500 there are a few rattles also. I will have it in soon to address a few issues.

Jaded TC
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Same here. I mentioned this awhile back with no replies. I'm not glad that others have this same "problem" but at least I know I'm not alone. I don't really notice any vibration. Maybe I need to pay more attention but it's pretty frustrating when you hit that spot where you feel it dragging like it's out of gear. Lately I just been giving it more gas so it gets past that spot. Guess I'll have to manually downshift if a cop is nearby!

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

Can someone post a video so everyone can hear it? i wouldn't be concerned about it though try putting in new transmission fluid in might help?

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I still bet this is normal for the CVT...time will tell but I think Nissan probably designed/programed the CVT to operate this way for fuel economy. Keep in mind the Rogue doesn't have gears so manual mode 6,5,4 etc. is just to simulate gears. At least in my Rogue there is nothing occuring that rates a trip to the dealer, it does like to get into a low rpm for a given speed pretty quick for fuel economy, but there is no significant vibration.

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

I know exactly what you mean by the vibration, as I drove stick for many years as well. Its the vibe you get when you're running to high a gear for the speed you're at.

From what I can tell, I'm not getting that vibration with the Rogue, but it might just be on the cusp. For me, its a fine setting and I've had no problems with it. Others may want a lower gear ratio to prevent the "struggling" of the engine from occurring.

Perhaps one day someone will come out with a tool allowing us to program our CVTs to better fit our driving preferences

Rogueman
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I also noticed the vibrations and its driving me nuts. Sad.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I have also experienced the vibration and it starting to irritate me as well. I think I will be going to the dealer within a couple of weeks to get the extended warranty. I just feel that with this being the first model year that there will be other problems coming up. I will hit 36,000 miles before 2 years is up, so I think I will go for the 72/100,000 ext. warranty.

amr40509

I know the feeling you are talking about (long time manual driver here also). I think the issue when talking about a manual is really that of oil starvation. When you drive a stick in too high of a gear and hit the gas, you feel the bit is bogged down, and you are gassing up, but not going anywhere. This is really bad as your are loading up the engine, but not upping the RPMS to keep up oil flow. The CVT is a bit different in that if you need more power, it will up the RPMS...hopefully before it boggs down. I don't like the feeling either...BUT I think I basically understand what is happening.

The part of the CVT that I do NOT know about is what it does heat wise. I know that my wife's Rogue does change RPM at even speed on the highway (for hills) and sometimes for long periods of time. I just don't know if it's building up heat and burning up the tranny in doing this or not.

Jaded TC

Whatever it is, it is definitely the most bothersome thing about the Rogue there is for me. I really like most everything else about the car.BTW- I am noticing the slight vibration along with it now also.

Modified by Jaded TC at 10:44 AM 12/8/2007

eastgurl

Yep, i'm experiencing the same vibration/chattering. My commute is generally local roads going below 45mph, therefore, I feel the vibration most of the time. Sometimes it goes away. Wonder if this is a defect or just the way it normally is?

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

bill875 wrote:I have also experienced the vibration and it starting to irritate me as well. I think I will be going to the dealer within a couple of weeks to get the extended warranty. I just feel that with this being the first model year that there will be other problems coming up. I will hit 36,000 miles before 2 years is up, so I think I will go for the 72/100,000 ext. warranty.
You do realize that you have a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain right? That includes the transmission. The 3 year/36,000 is for everything else like A/C, electronics, etc.

exeunt

Just curious, is anyone not being driven crazy by this? I know the feeling everyone is experiencing, and I can somewhat feel it, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I'm surprised that so many people find this unbearable, because really all the transmission is doing is saving you money by not feeding the engine gas it doesn't need.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one not bothered by this, or perhaps this is much worse on some Rogues than others.

Etch

exeunt wrote:Just curious, is anyone not being driven crazy by this? I know the feeling everyone is experiencing, and I can somewhat feel it, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I'm surprised that so many people find this unbearable, because really all the transmission is doing is saving you money by not feeding the engine gas it doesn't need.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one not bothered by this, or perhaps this is much worse on some Rogues than others.
I barely notice it and it doesn't bother me. I have a stick shift car so I know what is being experienced. As long as the power is there when I need it, I'm fine with it.

Lightforce18
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Black on Black. SL AWD. Leather. Moonroof. Premium.

does the radio being loud drown this out. or does the whole car vibrate?

Etch

Lightforce18 wrote:does the radio being loud drown this out. or does the whole car vibrate?
It's not very loud and it's more of a feel than a sound. Drive at low speed, maybe 35 to 45 mph and look at your tachometer. If it's reading under 1400 RPM then most likely you are experiencing it. It's just a low rumble.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

exeunt wrote:Just curious, is anyone not being driven crazy by this? I know the feeling everyone is experiencing, and I can somewhat feel it, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I'm surprised that so many people find this unbearable, because really all the transmission is doing is saving you money by not feeding the engine gas it doesn't need.

I have wondered the samething. No problems for me, I guess I feel that the Rogue does get to a high ratio in the CVT quickly and you can barely feel an "over geared sensation" at times. But like you I see $$ signs with this design. Low RPMs equal better fuel economy for the most part. I think mine is working as designed.

lozen13

Same situation here have not noticed this

Palmateer
Car: 2011 Ford Mustang V6 premium convertible

Nissan has been producing the Murano with CVT since 2003. Have Murano owners been experiencing this also?

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Palmateer wrote:Nissan has been producing the Murano with CVT since 2003. Have Murano owners been experiencing this also?
The biggest issue I've ever had with anyone and a CVT is their not being used to it NOT shifting. The CVT in the Murano has worked excellent and that's why Nissan decided to use it in all of their cars. I just hope they don't screw up and go CVT in the trucks...as Meathwad would say, "it'll get TORE up!"

fossa
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I have the same problem, so I just hit the downshift paddle, which works even when you're not in manual mode, and the vibration quickly goes away. I'm getting about 23.5 mpg in mixed driving, so it doesn't seem to have a major impact on mileage.

exeunt

Actually, CVT systems are being used in very high torque situations as well (from wikipedia):
CVT torque handling capability is limited by the strength of their transmission medium (usually a belt or chain), and by their ability to withstand friction wear between torque source and transmission medium for friction-driven CVTs. CVTs in production prior to 2005 are predominantly belt or chain driven and therefore typically limited to low powered cars and other light duty applications. More advanced IVT units using advanced lubricants, however, have been proven to support any amount of torque in production vehicles, including that used for buses, heavy trucks, and earth moving equipment.

EddNog

Aren't they talking about toroidal CVTs, though?

-Ed

exeunt

The article mentions IVTs, which are listed as a separate type of CVT versus the toroidal. I'm not sure if that means they're mutually exclusive or not.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

exeunt wrote:The article mentions IVTs, which are listed as a separate type of CVT versus the toroidal. I'm not sure if that means they're mutually exclusive or not.
Yeah, I didn't elaborate on that. The standard CVT wouldn't be able to handle a Caterpillar C-5

MHmidhudson
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD / 2006 Frontier CC SE 4x4

Etch wrote:
I barely notice it and it doesn't bother me. I have a stick shift car so I know what is being experienced. As long as the power is there when I need it, I'm fine with it.
Me too. I noticed it just today, after reviewing this thread last night. It occurs between 34 and 39 MPH, and only at steady speed. The poster who guessed that Nissan likely programmed the CVT for gas economy, and that the engine revs are low at this speed as a result, likely hit the nail on the head. So: No, it doesn't bother me a bit.

DaleB

I'm really surprised. Mine is only 2 weeks old but after reading the thread, I've been trying to duplicate the"vibration/feeling" but can't. Maybe after an eternity on this earth I may have finally bought a machine put together correctly. Did kind of worry me when I saw on my window sticker: Final Assembly Los Angeles, CA. Scary visions flashed before my eyes.

Good Luck with your vehicles.

Dale

Return to “Rogue Forum”