Hi New here...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

My daughter just bought a 2009 Rogue SL (113,000 miles).
Just joined, so I can get advice and also give advice.

Worked on several kinds of cars (Honda, Cadillac, Buick, Xterra, etc.. (but never took an engine or transmission apart).

Anyway to start off, I noticed 2 things I'd like to fix on my daughter car (Yup, I am her free mechanic!).
1) I noticed the key will not turn unless the steering wheel is "perfectly straight". Is this a common issue and is there an easy fix?

2) There is quite a bit of rust under the car (not bad, but I want to remove it) . The previous owner said they got the Rogue from the North East.
Is there a undercoat spray paint that you guys stand by?

Stay safe and stay well!
Rockhoundrob

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello Rockhoundrob!

Welcome!

I am new here myself. I actually joined back in 2018 when we got a used 2011 Nissan Rogue SL. But just now getting caught up on figuring out how to take care of this thing! LOL.

1) One of the things I'd suggest is to consider changing the transmission fluid.

But don't do what I did. LOL.

When I got my car, my mechanic friend told me to go get it changed. He said Nissan said the transmission fluid was good for longer than what most considered it good for. So a lot of transmissions out there are running on old, ineffective transmission fluid.

So I went and got it changed.

And then when I came here, some users were saying that your really need to go to the dealership to get the exact transmission fluid for this Rogue.

Consider reading through some of the posts below about transmission fluid change.

Heck. I would say have all the fluids checked or changed. :)

As for your putting the key in, I personally am not experienced enough to know what is happening.

But as far as rust underneath . . . I don't know if you can get rid of the rust. That sounds like a big project.

When we got our Rogue, it was already 7 years old . . . and came along with 7 years of rust underneath.

What I did was take it to a place to be sprayed with Corrosion Free rust protection. Basically it is a liquid that seeps into all the cracks and joints and tries to reduce the amount of water / salt touching the metal work. If you reduce the water and salt, you slow down rusting.

The application is supposed to last 18 months. So it is supposed to work out a bit cheaper than Krown. I have my minivan sprayed with Krown rust protection every year since we got it. We got it used, but only 1 year old so very minimal rust underneath. Our van is now 5 years old, and since I had it spread every year . . . if you look underneath, it looks like a 1 year old car. Very minimal rust underneath. Probably close to being only the rust that was there when we got it.

As far as Corrosion Free, talk to me in 5 years and I'll say whether I am happy with it. But . . . so far, about a year and a half into Corrosion Free, I have to say it looks like it is working well.

Oh, yeah . . . with Krown . . . you can buy aerosol cans of Krown to either apply yourself or to touch up your car in between applications.

Corrosion Free, I know I can just go to our local Canadian Tire and buy an aerosol can of it. I've used that on my lawnmower myself. And now that I've gotten our Rogue sprayed with Corrosion Free, I am using it on our Rogue.

Another, oh, yeah . . . Haynes & Chilton has repair manuals available . . .But this site has service manuals as well here . . .

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

Take care! :)
TheRogue

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:inoutgay: :welcome:

Rockhoundrob

Thanks, I did a quick check of the basic stuff before my daughter bought it. (no gunk in the oil cap, oil was new, transmission fluid was red, no glitter, smooth shifting, smooth motor, etc...).
Tomorrow I really plan to go over it with a microscope ( check brakes, brake lines, brake fluid, there is a coat hanger under there for some reason - gotta check that!, etc...).
and YUP, Chilton manual is on the way!

As for the key turning, it is a remote start. leave the FOB in the pocket and just turn the knob (as if the key was already in there).
No big deal, I suspect there is a pin in the steering column that doesn't line up, or something funky. That's strange because most cars even if the steering wheel isn't straight, you can still turn the key.

I'll reply if I find out anything about it.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Rockhoundrob wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 pm
Chilton manual is on the way!
Sigh.

Here at NICO, we have Factory Service Manuals available FREE to members.
2009 Nissan Rogue FSM Index Page

TheRogue

Rockhoundrob wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 pm
Thanks, I did a quick check of the basic stuff before my daughter bought it. (no gunk in the oil cap, oil was new, transmission fluid was red, no glitter, smooth shifting, smooth motor, etc...).
Tomorrow I really plan to go over it with a microscope ( check brakes, brake lines, brake fluid, there is a coat hanger under there for some reason - gotta check that!, etc...).
and YUP, Chilton manual is on the way!
+1

The coat hanger sounds like either an exhaust hanger somewhere has rusted out, or . . . the heat shield has come loose.

One of the heat shields was rattling and finally came loose under my Rogue.

It was dangling underneath the car.

It had broken and was not attached to the hanger anymore.

I drilled a hole into the heat shield and used a metal bracket (small) from Home Depot and bolted it back to the hanger.

Take care. :)
TheRogue.

Rockhoundrob

WOW about the FSM !! Thank you Rogue One! I see it also has a 2000 Xterra- which my son has!

I checked out my daughters car and I am pleasantly surprised. The rust isn't as bad as I first thought and I don't plan to do anything about it.
The coat hanger is to hold the heatshield in place. I plan to do a better job with better metal later. However I came across something and I have no idea what it is.
See attached picture. The curved part is a metal tube and nothing is attached to it. One end of that bracket has a broken threaded part where the arrow is pointing.
I am temped to just remove it and forget about it, but does anyone know what it is? (hmm I am having trouble posting the picture here. I am clicking on the icon with mountains and nothing happens).
If someone can tell me how to attach a pic, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, with me being a perfectionist, I'd like to replace quite a few things, since it has 113,000 miles. no idea if the parts have been replaced or not.
1) Alternator
2) starter
3) Everything else is splashshields, retainer clips, brake pads, serpentine belt, etc...
4) Transmission fluid looks good,l but I was surprised it was clear blue/green or maybe clear yellow. All other cars i've worked on are RED! Is this typical ( bluegreen)?

If I get alternator/starter at O'Rielys, I know they tend to last 3-4 years, but has lifetime warranty. But if I order from Rockauto, 1 year warranty, but if i get the factory unit, then they tend to last 100,000 miles.
What is the OEM manufacturer for Nissan? Denso?

Last but not least, there was no Service Engine Light, but I decided to do a scan and P1564 popped up. That is for the ASCD steering switch. It has to do with cruise control.
Is this a common problem where I can simply swap out the switch in the steering wheel or is there something else that tends to cause this problem?

I am looking forward to learning about this kind of vehicle and hope to share some of my knowledge with this forum.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

"Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up." Inigo Montoya

Instructions for attachment are in my sig line in my first post above. You can also add as an attachment. Are you using a pc/laptop or a phone?

NOTE: Utilizing copypasta...
There's lots of discussion on 'rattles', so I've narrowed down the search for you.
Rogue Rattling Noise - Heat Shield?
Rattle/Creaking sound in front end
2014 Rogue rattle/grind driver side rear?? Intermittent
Rattling

Nissan CVT Fluid NS-3 is a blue-green color.

No clue on the alternator brand used by Nissan, but the Denso version will probably be better than the OEM.

I don't recall anyone having a problem with the ASCD steering switch, so I'd say it's not a common issue.

2009 Nissan Rogue
2009 Rogue Owners Manual
2009 Rogue Reference Guide
2009 Rogue Tow Guide
2009 Rogue Service/Maint. Guide
2009 Rogue Warranty Information

I need to redo this section as some of the links are MIA, but there's still enough to get what you need.
08-13 ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc

Rockhoundrob

I am using a PC.

As far as the rattle, it is definitely the heat shield. The previous owner used a coat hanger to try holding it in place. "A" for effort, "D" for quality. I'll figure out something.
And glad to know trans fluid is green/blue.

I am using a PC. I'll just go with my guts and just remove the part that I see.

If i figure out the P1564, I'll post the results.
Attachments
Img_2073[1].jpg

Rockhoundrob

HUH??? oh well, there is the picture!
See the curved part( drawing in red)? That is the metal tube and nothing is attached to either end. There is duct tape, but no idea what it's for.
The arrow, points to a thread that comes through the hole, but that broke off.
So I am just tempted, to just remove the nut from the other side and remove the bracket with that tube.

the tube ends in the dark zone, but nothing there but the frame of the vehicle.
This is very close to the heat shield that came loose. maybe 10 inches down stream.

TheRogue

@Rockhoundrob,

Ok.

Just a guess.

This part is just past the flex pipe on the exhaust?

I am thinking that is a piece that was originally welded onto that section of the exhaust and it has just broken loose.

https://www.autopartskart.com/nissan-ro ... -pipe.html

IMHO I'd find a bolt to make sure not to loose the bracket. That way, when it comes time to replace that section of the exhaust, you have somewhere to attach it to? :)

TheRogue.
Last edited by TheRogue on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRogue

Rogue One wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:23 pm
"Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up." Inigo Montoya

I need to redo this section as some of the links are MIA, but there's still enough to get what you need.
08-13 ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc
@Rogue One,

Is there anything a newbie like me can do to help out?

I came here hoping to learn how to take care of my 2011 Nissan Rogue.

A resource like this is great! :)

TheRogue.

Rockhoundrob

Yes, it is past the flex pipe. I don't see anything welded.
Now that I see the picture, I guess it is a bar that helps hold the exhaust in place?
That kind of makes sense because there is a rubber molding that the tube in the picture I took.

Almost reminds me of the same concept as the muffler/tailpipe has a metal tube and fastened to rubber and then rubber to the frame.
Hope there is no hole in the exhaust at the section that broke off. I will have to find a way to patch it!

I'll take another look on Thursday...
If that is the case, I will have to improvise and find a way to help support that section of the exhaust.

on the other hand... maybe I should just replace that section of the pipe? I'll check and see if there is a hole or not.

Thanks!

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

TheRogue wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:22 pm

@Rogue One,

Is there anything a newbie like me can do to help out?

I came here hoping to learn how to take care of my 2011 Nissan Rogue.

A resource like this is great! :)

TheRogue.
Do what you're doing now. You're doing great! :dblthumb:

Don't be afraid to answer questions other members may pose. This is the biggest way you, or anyone can help. Share your experiences. Did you run into a particular problem and found a way to resolve it? That's something worth sharing. Found a cool/interesting accessory? Share that as well.

I would also say ask any questions you have, just know that one of my pet peeves is that people often fail to check first to see if it's something that's come up before (still working on how to slap people through the internet :chuckle: ).

Rockhoundrob

Yea.. I am really impressed with this forum so far.

I am a member of 15+ forums and this is in to top 3 already!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I do it all the time.

Its easy.

:slap:

But sometimes a good wack in the ballsack should suffice.

:nutkick

Return to “Rogue Forum”