Rattle/Creaking sound in front end

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
david1624
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I love my Rogue but have a very annoying rattling/creaking noise coming from the front passenger side. Had it in to a dealer but the noise is still there. It is heard when travelling over rough roads or bumps. Has anyone else been experiencing this problem? Thanks!!!

tellurian
Car: Rogue

It could be the glove compartment door (or a panel in the glove compartment adjacent to the door). I found that on occasion it would rattle given the right road and cabin temperature characteristics. If I pressed against the glove compartment door (even gently) the rattle would stop. I have not noticed it since, perhaps I am tuning it out (?) or the door was just not closed properly.

philipa_240sx

There is a TSB for a squeak from the shifter area. From the TSB sticky:

NTB08031 - SB 08 Rogue; Creaking Noise from Console FinisherIF YOU CONFIRM There is a creaking noise coming from the console finisher assembly when making turns. ACTIONS Remove the console finisher assembly. Put tape from the squeak and rattle kit on the 9 ribs located on the upper half of the console finisher assembly. See Figure 1. See this bulletin for further detail.

david1624

Thank you for the bulletin but this is a sound that is coming from the front end. My wife also has a Rogue and forutnately she does not have this problem. Take care!

david1624

Thanks for the help but this noise sounds like it is coming from the undercarriage or somewhere under the hood.Really appreciate the help though.

aloe
Car: 2008 Rogue SL FWD

I just bought a pre-owned 2008 Rogue and I'm having the same problem. I brought it in to the dealer and had it serviced but the noise seems even louder now. I hear it when I drive on bumpy roads at about 25 mph and it comes from the front passenger side.

munkymonkjr
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S FWD

make sure nothing is wobbly in your arm rest / sunglass holder / cup holder / glove box storage, if you put a penny in your cup holder it will drive you nuts. Sounds stupid, but you have no idea how many times it happens to me.

aloe

Thanks, but this is definitely something external. david1624 must have figured it out since he hasn't posted on this thread for a while. I'd appreciate it he'd share. Took it to the dealer once already and they said they adjusted the loose e. brake bracket, although the noise is still there. Tomorrow I'm going back but this is frustrating!

ny_shopping_lover
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I have a 2009 Rogue, and hear a rattle coming from the passenger/center dash area. I have had my car sent in twice. The first time they told me they couldn't hear it the second they tightened something behind the glovebox. I still hear the rattle when going over slight bumps at least 50% of the time I drive it. I have completely emptied the car but the rattle is still there. This is driving me nuts.

david1624

Sorry for not replying sooner. I became so frustrated with both this rattle and the ongoing problems with the CVT transmission that I sold my Rogue and purchased a Toyota Highlander which has been just great. I wish you all good luck with your Rogues.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I've had this problem for a few month, at first when it was cold it sounded like engine knock, but it's a rattle that usually occurs when hitting a bump at just the right "frequency" to bring out the vibration/rattle. When it was cold the engine would hit a certain "frequency" and this rattle would be susatined for a few seconds, which made me initially think it was the engine. Anyway, I'm sure that something is loose in the front end, or engine compartment, it is pretty annoying but like I said only does it when you hit the "right" bumps, usually a big crack in the road that just produces a momentary but significant bump. I'm going to mention it next month when I go for my 1-year maintenance....if anyone has ideas of what this could be I'd be interested, otherwise I'll report back then for those who may be interested.

williammoses
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Kerrton:I am also having a rattle/creaking sound that seems similar to yours. Please let me know what your learn. On the positive side, my new transmission performs flawlessly.

williammoses

Kerrton:I am also having a rattle/creaking sound that seems similar to yours. Please let me know what your learn. On the positive side, my new transmission performs flawlessly.

JacintoRogue

David, I haven't had the sound over bumps all the time, but I have had a clunk or thunk type noise when the car is cold and going over a bump. The sound happens only once per day, only when the engine is cold, and only on the passenger side (near the front wheel). I think it might be the CVT bands?

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

My Rogue suffers from this as well. It's brought on by sharp bumps in the road. On my daily work commute I have to drive over those multiple bumps in the road placed just before some stop signs to alert youof an upcoming stop. Those really bring the rattle out.

Please post any solutions when/if anyone comes up with one.

williammoses

I am having the same noise in my Rogue as others are describing in this thread. I notice that the noise appeared after I had my transmission replaced. A number of suspension components are removed during the transmission removal/installation procedure. Coincidence? Cause and effect?

kerrton

Intersting, I never thought about that. If it is the suspension then that is more serious than just a lose heat shield.... Perhaps we should take it in for a special trip to have it checked...who volunteers to go first??!!!

EgNyTeR
Car: Rogue SL AWD

ny_shopping_lover wrote:I have a 2009 Rogue, and hear a rattle coming from the passenger/center dash area. I have had my car sent in twice. The first time they told me they couldn't hear it the second they tightened something behind the glovebox. I still hear the rattle when going over slight bumps at least 50% of the time I drive it. I have completely emptied the car but the rattle is still there. This is driving me nuts.
Hi, I seem to having that same problem. . . it's so very little but enough to drive me nuts! It's creaks when I turn or hit bumps but it doesn't happen all the time. If I turn the music up loud then it drowns out the creak. . . when I don't have the radio on, I keep hearing it once in awhile This problem only just started for about a week now. I own a 2008 Rogue and it's exactly 1yr and 3months old. I think after time, things just get loose in the car and will eventually rattle. I would love to try to isolate the creaking and try to fix the issue but it's so darn difficult. It only happens when I'm driving and I can't pinpoint where it's happening from. I only know that it's on the passenger side somewhere and it's near the dash/winshield area!

caroline84
Car: nissan rogue

i have 3 mths old rogue and it has a rattle in the rear end. i can hear the noise at low speeds (20-30 mph) when driving over bumps.it's extremely annoying because it's a new car and things are not supposed be like that. having the car brought to the dealership four times the guys told me that everything is acoording to spec and there is nothing wrong with the suspension....but the noise is still there. i requested a test drive with another rogue and the same noise was there. i was told that all rogues have the same type of noise and i will just have to get used to it or turn the radio on...yeah great im stuck with a junky car:(

chove1437
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have this noise as well. Seems to be coming from the driver's side front wheel. Usually hear this creaking when taking slow turns not over bumps though.Any thoughts?

I'm going in tomorrow to get it checked out along with an oil change
Modified by chove1437 at 1:47 PM 2/23/2009

the1lizz

I had a problem that sounds the same as yours. Mine was the left front it was a bad strut. It was leaking ans the bushing was damaged, only made the noise on rough roads at a low speed. Nissan replaced strut and it fixed the problem. 2008 SL FWD 14200 miles I found what the problem was by shaking the car and holding on to the coil spring on the strut, you could feel a clunk when bouncing the car.

chove1437

the1lizz wrote:I had a problem that sounds the same as yours. Mine was the left front it was a bad strut. It was leaking ans the bushing was damaged, only made the noise on rough roads at a low speed. Nissan replaced strut and it fixed the problem. 2008 SL FWD 14200 miles I found what the problem was by shaking the car and holding on to the coil spring on the strut, you could feel a clunk when bouncing the car.

I'm at Nissan as we speak.....good tip. I'm going to try that in front of the Tech/MechanicThanks!

williammoses

the1lizz:I am hearing a sound that seemas to be coming from inside the vehicle on the passenger sound in the forward section of the dashboard. Just to be sure I understand, was the sound you described seeming to come from inside or outside the vehicle?Thanks,William Moses

the1lizz

The sound was coming from the outside of the car,but it was hard to tell until I drove around the mall parking lot with the window open.

williammoses

the1lizz:I have one more question, but I realize it may be hard to answer.You stated that while replacing the front strut on your Nissan Rogue, a part that you described as a "bushing" was also replaced. Is the "bushing" that you are referring the "stabilizer bushing"? I have a diagram of the Rogue front suspension member and its parts, and the only "busing" I see in the diagram is a "stabilizer bushing".

the1lizz

I did not see which parts they replaced because it was in warranty and that is what they told me they replaced,so your guess is as good as mine but if that is the only bushing that you see on the parts breakdown then may be it. I have noticed since they changed the strut that I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left to keep the car straight on the road. I don't think they did a good job aligning the front when they replaced the strut so I will have them ck this when I take it back in. I also had the back seats (seat backs) rattling with no passengers so they ordered some parts for them.

philipa_240sx

williammoses wrote:the1lizz:I have one more question, but I realize it may be hard to answer.You stated that while replacing the front strut on your Nissan Rogue, a part that you described as a "bushing" was also replaced.
They likely replaced a few other parts that make up the strut assembly including the upper insulator/strut mount, bearing, and the lower spring 'rubber' insulator. These are all wear items that are sometimes replaced when servicing the front strut.

As for the alignment. Get that check out ASAP. There is no reason why the vehicle should be pulling in either direction on a flat road. Note: Sometimes roads are that are crowned (higher near the centre line so water can drain off) can pull the vehicle to the slightly to the right. To eliminate this as a cause, try driving in an empty, flat parking lot to see if it still pulls to the right.

the1lizz

Thanks, I thought of the crown of the road and drove it in a flat parking lot and it still pulls to the right, so when they have my parts for the rear seats I will have them recheck the alignment

chove1437

Got back from the dealer. They said is was the front upper strut not being lubricated.They took care of that and I haven't heard the noise since. Will monitor to see if it comes back.Work was taken care of under warranty.

kerrton

williammoses and kcfm (and others):

Did you guys ever discover what was causing that rattle noise in the front end when going over cracks in the road? When I had them check mine out, they said it was the hood rattling so they adjusted it, but it did not eliminate the noise. I've since been speculating that it's two plastic covers, specifically the one that covers the oil filter and there is one on the drivers side too that isn't supported well at all, but I'm not 100% sure. Any thoughts or discoveries?

Return to “Rogue Forum”