2017 Rogue CVT loud noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Nissanrogue2017
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue

My 2017 Rogue 50k mile Tranny makes loud noise when going up hill. It it normal?

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

If your referring to a whining sound then no, it’s not normal. What kind of noise? At 50 if you haven’t dumped the fluid I’d highly recommend it. Luckily it’s still under warranty.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

Sorry to hear that your car is having trouble. Just so you know, we have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Also, please take a moment to read the Rogue Forum rules before creating a new topic.

Even though the 1st & 2nd gen Rogues do not have the same CVT, information in older posts may still be relevant to your situation.

CVT Transmission Issues. (Fail safe, Whining, Temps, & FIX!)
Concerns about CVT Trans
Mechanical Whine: CVT or other?
CVT Recommendations
Need advice for a '13 Rogue with CVT problems
Help to diagnose noise
2010 Nissan Rogue SL CVT problems
bill875 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:06 pm
After you've driven your car and heated everything up, put the car in park and rev the engine and see if you hear the buzzing. If you do, It could be an exhaust heat shield that is loose and causing the buzz sound. Take it to a muffler shop to have them weld the shield(s) back in place. I've had to do that twice now on my 2008 SL AWD.
frijolito wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41 am
gusbootrogue wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 pm
So somebody totaled my pristine 2010 RAV4 and after some power shopping I ended up buying a 2013 Nissan Rogue SV (? the one with all the bells and whistles) with 55,500 miles on it. Seemed like a nice little SUV after test driving it. I've had it about a month. Never owned a Nissan before, but my girlfriend in HS had a Datsun station wagon that we used and abused and could not kill the thing!

A couple weeks ago I notice a whining/purring noise coming from the engine compartment. It happens when the engine is at about 1150 RPM. So I hear it when accelerating or decelerating when the engine passes 1150 RPM, maybe 1200 RPM. It does it when driving or parked or in neutral when the engine hits about 1150 RPM. I've read about the CVT whining noise, but would the CVT noise happen if the car is not in motion (parked or neutral)? My mind tells me "no".

The noise is not so loud it can't be drowned out with the Bose stereo. Is this just normal Nissan engine sounds? Could it just be belt noise? I think this car has a timing chain? Maybe the chain whirs around 1150 RPM? I can't find how to rev the engine in the engine compartment so it's difficult to pin-point the noise when sitting in the car revving the engine.

Anybody else experience this? Any ideas?

Depends on the noise, I had a odd noise, I called it a vibration, but the nissan guy said I should call it a humming... My one happened more when it was in D with low revs, turned out to be the insulation on the back of the AC/heater matrix and worn down a little and caused the sound (plastic was vibrating on plastic). Maybe worth checking out, as I swore it was a engine noise too, but turned out to be that...

Return to “Rogue Forum”