CVT Recommendations - 2019 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L FWD

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV 2.5L FWD

Good Morning, and thank you for such an informative forum!!:)

Back story...I am mechanically inclined as I worked as a Service Technician for GM & FOMOCO mainly with 60's, 70's,and 80's platforms (boy, things have sure changed a lot through the decades). That said, I recently purchased this Rogue and been reading a LOT of information about this vehicle. My main concern today is the CVT transmission and fluid/servicing...the vehicle has 37,263 miles on it and I am getting ready to do a pretty comprehensive 40K service on the fluids and maintenance items. So here goes:

1) The vehicle came from a very reputable Infiniti/Nissan dealership and the CVT fluid is very new looking (but it's clear to slightly yellow in color) and from pretty much everything I'm reading, the CVT NS-3 Nissan fluid is a blue/green color?? I guess my question is "do they have the correct fluid in it, or did they just use something onsite for the Infiniti/Nissan vehicles?" My gut tells me that I need to flush this fluid out and replace it with the 999MP-NS300P OEM recommended fluid...thoughts??

2) If a flush is warranted, I've seen several youtube videos on how to go about this so that you not only drain the pan, but also the associated system (coolers and such)...any links here would be appreciated:)

The CVT shifts flawlessly, no slipping, no flairs, no noise...just want to be sure that JATCO tranny holds up over the test of time...thanks!!

Ron

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

OEM Nissan CVT fluid NS-3 is a blue-green color. Both Amsoil and Valvoline make CVT fluids, but I don't know what color they use. The dealership could be buying one of those brands in bulk to save money vs the OEM. A fast way to kill a CVT is by putting in AT fluid, however Nissan's Matic J color is red, so I'd rule that out.

If they sold the car as 'Certified' then it should have included a detailed list of it's maintenance work history. Even so you can always drop by their service department and ask them if they have a work history for it, and what brand fluids they use.

Re: Pre 36k checkup list

Valvoline CVT Fluid
Rogue One wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:21 pm
Welcome to NICO!

First and foremost, you cannot use color as a guide to determine if the CVT fluid is bad or not.

Second, you'll find a lot of useful info in these threads:
Concerns about CVT Trans
CVT: Fluid Check
CVT: Fluid Change
CVT: Fluid Change 2
"Rattling noise in CVT"
Nissan Gives 10-Year CVT Warranty to All Vehicles?

PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I used the amsoil, comes in a case of 12qt and has a discount on the caselot. Amsoil is light green.

Can confirm after the change is no different than before other than my wallet is fuller.

Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV 2.5L FWD

Great, and thanks for the responses!!!

Rogue One - appreciate the links and info, for sure!! :yesnod

Peter H - I have used the Amsoil product in many applications through the years (mostly in High-Performance SBC-IMCA/BBC-Marine applications) and have seen nothing but stellar results...just wasn't sure if the Amsoil CVT fluid had been used by enough people to have quantifiable feedback in the Rogue?? :dblthumb: :chuckle:

Return to “Rogue Forum”