"Rattling noise in CVT"

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Ok lets get a count of this issue. This has been described as a rattling noise in the CVT area of some AWD Rogues at very low speed.

ssimon001 says "I can always duplicate the sound by driving in a silent area very slowly at around 5-7 mph and letting up on the accelerator..... rattle,...rattle,....ping....rattle.

I included the FWD in the poll just to be sure the problem is limited to the AWD Rogues.
Modified by Ticmxman at 11:59 AM 7/9/2008

Direwolf
Car: Nissan Rogue

For the record, I have the base S FWD model and have had zero problems other then a stereo issue.

Bigtamw65
Car: 2008 AWD Rogue Wicked Black w/ Black Leather Premium Package

I didn't pay close enough attention, I voted no noise, with AWD but I do have the noise, can you change my vote?

philipa_240sx

You may only vote once in polls. You cannot change it once you have voted.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Ok so far we have results confirming the issue is with AWD only and of the 50 votes 46 that are AWD a little over 50% (20votes) have a issue with noise in the CVT and (16 votes) report no report no problem so far with their AWD Rogues.

THE BIGGER ISSUE SEEMS TO BE A LACK OF A CONSISTANT RESPONCE FROM NISSAN DEALERS. MOST OWNERS SEEM TO SAY THAT IF THE RESPONCE FROM NISSAN WAS JUST "WE ARE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM ON SOME AWD ROGUES AND IT IS BEING EVALUATED AS TO THE CAUSE AND PROPER REPAIR." THE OWNER WOULD BE A LITTLE MORE UNDERSTANDING AND PATIENT. COME ON NISSAN I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MY FWD BUT I AM MONITORING YOUR ACTION ON THIS ISSUE AND IT WILL EFFECT MY FUTURE BUYING OF YOUR VEHICLES.

Sorry for the caps but sometimes you have to shout.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

Someone just voted that they have a FWD with the rattle? Is this a mistake? Please speak up....this is the first report of a FWD Rogue with this problem.

philipa_240sx

I cannot tell who voted, but it could be member '158814997' who has been reporting a vibration/rattle when stopped in D or R. It seems to be a different problem than our infamous rattle at slow speeds.

Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

I was just thinking if perhaps we could rule out a 'lot' of defective parts. Is there a transmission serial number? If so, is it in an easy place to read? Perhaps those with AWD Tranny rattles could provide their VIN numbers (assuming the VIN would roughly determine a production lot?) and we could narrow this down? The reason I ask is I had an Isuzu Rodeo before our Rogue and it's ABS pump failed. One day it just started buzzing. It was replaced under warranty with no hassle. Then several months later I get the recall notice in the mail. Seems there was a bad lot of ABS pumps by the manufacturer that sold them to Isuzu. I wonder if Nissan has the same problem with these Transmissions? Mine doesn't have the noise, but I'm betting it is either a bad lot of parts, or bad assembly (the person who installs the trannys was sick for three weeks and the fill in didn't torque the bolts right or something like that?).

alloveru
Car: 2013 - JX35
2011 - loaded suburb outback aka garbage

I am experience a rattling/shuttering noise at low speeds, specifically when i let the gas off to slow down.

I finally took it in yesterday to have the dealership to look at it. They have concluded that it is indeed the transmission. So they have ordered a new one as well as a new transfer case for some reason. They said it would probably be a week before it comes in though. fingers crossed that it fixes the noise. it is starting to get rather annoying.

BLPet
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

OK, I was clicker happy...

Nissan has just approved to replace my CVT in my 2008 Rogue SL AWD just this past Friday, Aug 22. Initially, my dealership tried to say the noise was coming from the steering column. The steering column was replaced, and the noise continued. They are taking out the bad transmission on Monday to look for "metal shards or gel-like fluid" as the reason for the water rushing gurgle. Once my dealership reports their findings to Nissan NA, a brand new transmission will be installed. My dealer had to gain authorization from Nissan NA since the total bill is going to be over $4000. Continue to let your dealership and Nissan NA know about this problem. Better to have corporate fix the problem than for us commoners to deal with a bad transmission a month after the warranty runs out!

minitrucker

So how loud is this rattle? Is it gonna be noticable or does it have to be quiet, i am trying to get as much info so i can have my wife listin for it.

Bibbers
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Black

I'm in need of everyone's opinion.I have the rattle/vibration noise coming from my rogue when i'm goingless then 10kms ( coasting in a parking lot).I've notified nissan, told them the problem and that several people are having the same problem. He asked me where i heard of this problem, i said nico forums on the web. He told me he would get back to me.I guess he called Nissa NA and their reply is that they can't take any comments seriously off of webpages unless it's an official Nissan webpage/Forum.Can you believe that BS??So, nissan is sending some "audio files" to the service bay to help diagnose the problem.So, looks like i'm **** out of luck.Hopefully my car completely implodes before my warrenty runs out.Any feed back would be Great!Thx

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

minitrucker wrote:So how loud is this rattle? Is it gonna be noticable or does it have to be quiet, i am trying to get as much info so i can have my wife listin for it.
And to further this question at what mileage range are most people beginning to hear this rattle?

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

mx6bfast wrote:And to further this question at what mileage range are most people beginning to hear this rattle?
We first noticed ours around 2,000 miles ...it was very quiet

Now, at 9,800 miles it is much louder and constant.

BLPet
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

GREAT NEWS!Sorry it has taken me a while to get back... I got my Rogue back almost two weeks ago. After Nissan changed the CVT, I haven't had a problem since. No more noises! I have tried to replicate the conditions of when the noise came from before the tranny was replaced. Can't do it! Yeah! Had the car in last week to add some toys (spoiler and chrome grill... go for it), and the master tech, John, saw me and asked how my car was doing. First off, I was impressed he came to see me, or recognized me, and that he was taking personal interest to see if his work was of quality! Go Nissan!

andcolom13
Car: 2007 Nissan Maxima

Wow. this is good to know, since the wifey wants a Rogue soon. I'll have to test this out on the test drive...

pammy
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Orange Alloy

I took my Rogue AWD into my local Nissan dealership in NH about two months ago, and I have been talking to the service manager since then, through email. He told me that Nissan Corporate told him that they are no longer replacing the CVT. Seems like some are still getting new CVTs though. This is what the service manager emailed me a month ago....

"they (corporate) said that they ‘probably’ have gotten it nailed down to either performing some king of reprogram, or valve body replacement/repair. The personnel at Nissan who have been authorizing these replacements at other dealers were most likely unaware of this concern at the time they did so. Since it has become more prevalent Nissan has specifically told us not to replace the CVT. They know other places have, and it hasn’t fixed the problem. They believe or know that the noise will return and that is why they are telling us not to at this time. I know it’s frustrating but please know you are in good hands and a solution should be coming soon".

Well, it's hard not to be frustrated, when I've been listening to this noise for almost 11,000 miles now. Car is only 4 months old, and the noise just makes it sound like an old car. We shouldn't have to deal with this noise for months on end.

Pam

williammoses
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Have you had any more contact with your Nissan Service Advisor about the CVT rattling noise? More specifically, has your Nissan Service Advisor heard anything definitive from Nissan in regard to fixing this problem on our Nissan Rogue automobiles?

dpacurar80
Car: Rouge

I have this same noise...its getting louder... I hate when i bring it in and they act stupid like they cant hear it...its like they dont want to replace it....and whats with the no rentals...?I bought the car in MI,,,i live in IL....no one will rent me a car...cant they charge it to nissan?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

pammy wrote:I took my Rogue AWD into my local Nissan dealership in NH about two months ago, and I have been talking to the service manager since then, through email. He told me that Nissan Corporate told him that they are no longer replacing the CVT. Seems like some are still getting new CVTs though. This is what the service manager emailed me a month ago....

"they (corporate) said that they ‘probably’ have gotten it nailed down to either performing some king of reprogram, or valve body replacement/repair. The personnel at Nissan who have been authorizing these replacements at other dealers were most likely unaware of this concern at the time they did so. Since it has become more prevalent Nissan has specifically told us not to replace the CVT. They know other places have, and it hasn’t fixed the problem. They believe or know that the noise will return and that is why they are telling us not to at this time. I know it’s frustrating but please know you are in good hands and a solution should be coming soon".

Well, it's hard not to be frustrated, when I've been listening to this noise for almost 11,000 miles now. Car is only 4 months old, and the noise just makes it sound like an old car. We shouldn't have to deal with this noise for months on end.

Pam

Pam, I agree with you, that is total crap. Even if they do release a fix for the problem that doesn't involve replacing the tranny, that should have nothing to do with you. Your tranny should be replaced without question, because it has already endured 11000 miles of abnormal wear and tear, and like you said your new vehicle should not be making those scary noises. The fact that they are "working on a solution" is fine with me, but we the consumers should not suffer because of it. In the meantime, while they are working on solutions, these crappy transmissions should be replaced.

Every time you hear that grinding noise it must be creating excessive wear on the tranny parts, and simply reprogramming the computer to eliminate the noise won't reverse all the wear from the past grinding. The new fix should apply to relatively new vehicles with the problem, and yours who is suffering from an advanced case of severe grinding should be replaced. If I were you, I'd use this argument to get that tranny replaced at some point when Nissan finally develops a solution, tell them you don't want the solution, you want a new tranny.
Modified by kerrton at 9:18 AM 10/27/2008

italianqt819
Car: Black with Black leather interior 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I bought my 08 Rogue SL AWD a month ago and have not had any problems with it so far (knock on wood). I guess I should start to listen for that noise. I hope I dont hear it. If they change the transmission, is that covered under the warrenty?

dalebrown
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hi everyone. I Googled this symptom which brought me to join your forum. I bought an awesome 2008 SL AWD Rogue demonstrator model with 5800 miles on it. In the first 2 weeks, I noticed it sometimes makes this noise at low speed. When I called the dealer, and dropped it off, I explained the noise. When I picked it up, they said that all they could hear was the ABS cycling through the self test. The free loaner car they gave me, a Nissan Sentra also made this noise, only MUCH louder. The other day I called again explaining that I thought it was the CVT....etc. They also told me that there was nothing that could be adjusted and that Nissan is aware of the problem. "They will check it out and document it when I bring it in for an oil change. This is my first Nissan, and I have also never paid this much for a vehicle....I hope that they resolve this soon. I am also wondering...to those that have had the CVT replaced, can you keep us all posted on the results, milege wise and over time? Will this eventually happen again over a matter of time with this type of transmission?

dalebrown
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Is it possible to add to the poll...I'm new and have the same problem with the noise. 2008 Rogue SL AWD

alloveru
Car: 2013 - JX35
2011 - loaded suburb outback aka garbage

I bought mine back in April. They replaced my transmission in the beginning of September as the noise was extreme.2 weeks after the replacement the noise has started, no where near as loud, but i can tell it is getting worse. The dealership told me that they are talking with Nissan for a fix and would get back to me. I called Nissan Canada Customer Care, and well they are useless.

They said since I only notified them in after the 2nd transmission noise in late September, that i have to give them more time before i am allowed to escilate the issue further. So apparently, whenever you have an issue and you notify your dealership like i did back in May they don't notify Nissan. Useless. So now Nissan receives a call from me weekly about issues. Ie, 2 weeks ago my speedometer didn't work! of course i was only able to replicate it twice since... it is an issue!

Oh to make Nissan Customer Care that much more special, they don't even have my correct VIN number!

Anyways, the way it stands now is i have to contact my dealership regularily to see if there is a fix.
Modified by alloveru at 8:40 AM 10/29/2008

DougEMG
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Had the rattlingnoise problem from the front end at low speeds (around 6 mph). Noticed it when driving in parking lots. Took it to the Nissan dealer here in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and after looking at it they said it was a transmission problem and that they would replace it. So the car is in the shop right now. They also said that this is the 5th one that they have had to do.

zeroride
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I have had this issue since I bought my Rogue in 2008. It is almost a year old now and I've had the transmission replaced but I still have the noise. Every time I ask about this at the dealer, one guy didn't know about it but another guy did and indicated it is a known problem with Nissan and they are "looking into it".

kerrton

zeroride wrote:I have had this issue since I bought my Rogue in 2008. It is almost a year old now and I've had the transmission replaced but I still have the noise. Every time I ask about this at the dealer, one guy didn't know about it but another guy did and indicated it is a known problem with Nissan and they are "looking into it".
So, after they replaced the CVT the noise was still there, or did the noise return after several months of driving with the new tranny?

tickitout
Car: Nissan Rogue

I have the rattle when I take my foot off the accelerator... Paul

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

Ticmxman wrote:Ok lets get a count of this issue. This has been described as a rattling noise in the CVT area of some AWD Rogues at very low speed.

ssimon001 says "I can always duplicate the sound by driving in a silent area very slowly at around 5-7 mph and letting up on the accelerator..... rattle,...rattle,....ping....rattle.

I included the FWD in the poll just to be sure the problem is limited to the AWD Rogues.

Modified by Ticmxman at 11:59 AM 7/9/2008
Where is the rattle coming from? Front end or rear? I hear something when i have window open and step on the gas coming from the rear. Is it the same thing?

kerrton

No that's not it. This CVT rattle noise only occurs when you are decelerating and going very slow, just barely rolling forward and applying gentle on/off pressure to the gas peddle or just before coming to a stop when braking into a red light/stop sign. The noise seems to come from directly under the vehicle, definately not the rear end.

Also, if you aren't sure if you have the noise then you probably don't, because for those of us who had or have the noise it is very obvious. I'm sure you're fine, this seems to be a very rare thing.

And like Philip said, this exact CVT part number is shared with the Altima, Sentra, Ford Escape hybrid, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, Dodge Caliber, and Mitsubishi Outlander. I was bored so I checked all of their forums, and they were very detailed covering tons of issues from bad suspension, road noise, check engine lights, engine knock, poor fuel economy etc. etc. but absolute ZERO CVT rattle/grinding posts, not even one!!! There were several complaining about the CVT and wondering if it was working properly mainly due to the cold weather behavior, high rpms at times, and some weird rubber band effects that I've never heard of, but NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT about grinding rattling noises coming from the CVT, and NOT A SINGLE person having a CVT replaced or trying to fight with a dealer to have their CVT replaced. This is what I don't understand, why on the Rogue forum do we have several people with these problems while all the other vehicles including Nissan Altima and Sentra's seem to have no problems?

Return to “Rogue Forum”