Help to diagnose noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
n9jcvhot
Car: 2013 Rogue

I purchased a 2013 Rogue 130,000 miles. I have had it for 6 months. It has made this noise since I purchased. The noise is somewhat of a whine (mechanical not electrical). What I consider very loud. It seems to make the most noise when above 1500 rpm. I tried to determine what it was. I removed the serpentine belt, then ran the car in Park. It still made the noise. So according to my thinking, that ruled out the alternator, waterpump, all the pulleys on the serpentine belt. Since I was in Park, I believe that rules out the transmission. The noise changes with the rpm of idle. So if I rev to 2 or 3 thousand, the intensity increases.

I did look online and see the timing chain is an actual chain, not a belt. This is an interference engine. Since it is an actual chain, I am inclined to say it will not break and I will not suffer engine damage. I am old school, and cars back in the days all had chains, and I don't think I ever heard of a chain breaking.

Anyway I see the chain go around the crank, by a tensioner and then around 2 gears at the top for the valve trains. I kind of suspect the noise is the chain rubbing on the tensioner.

I have a video, forget looking at it, just listen to it, to hear the noise I am speaking about. Any advice for how to isolate where it is coming from or what the noise is would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/CgBdrHr

Thank You
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

No sound on your video my friend...

Do you know if the CVT fluid has been changed or have you done it since you bought it?

n9jcvhot

It looks to me like it was done recently. The fluid is very clean

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

;)
n9jcvhot wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 am
It looks to me like it was done recently. The fluid is very clean
Unless it's documented, I wouldn't count on that. My fluid looked clear nearly 80,000 miles in.

It didn't whine but it shuddered and hesitated like crap.

No longer that jolting mini whiplash pile of poo acceleration since the good ole drain and fill.

Good gawd that was annoying as hell. :facepalm:

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

These CVT transmissions like to whine and likely that is the noise you hear. Changing out the fluid can help tremendously, Casper changed his 4 times over a short period of time and experienced a marked improvement in transmission functionality. You probably won’t need to do it 4 times but I would do it at least twice unless you’re going to pull the transmission cooler hose and change it that way.

Make sure you use the correct fluid, you can buy it from a dealer or find it on Amazon. Here is a write up by one forum member.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/cvt-transmi ... 72758.html

Here is casper’s write up.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/post6757586.html#p6757586

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

The mark improvement happened after the FIRST drain & fill.

I was sooooo happy that my ocd kicked in because my rogue was around 8 yrs old and I didn’t want the transmission to explode.

Hence wanted green as possible and majority of old fluid out. Until the point of diminishing returns after the 4th drain.

Yet inside of me I should let it explode so I can get a new transmission. Really a catch 22.

I ended up thinking, let’s keep it going as best we can, and it is what it is.

10 yr warranty ending soon.

So Up to the car gods now if transmission stays healthy.

n9jcvhot

Ok, I uploaded the video someplace else, don't know why imgur deleted the sound

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q0h34lmkd ... 0.mp4/file

So yes, I understand this car has transmission troubles. But, I stated in my post, I have the noise in PARK. When I rev the engine in PARK, the noise frequency changes. I do not see how this would be the transmission making the noise. Please help me understand, the transmission would not be moving at the same speed as the engine when in park.

Return to “Rogue Forum”