CVT Transmission Fluid Change DIY Write-Up

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
dave08902
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360'

Supplies Required:
CVT Fluid 5 Quarts P/N 999MP-NS200P
Drain Plug Washer P/N 11026-JA00A
Drain pan to hold old oil
Lint free rags
19 MM Socket
Torque Wrench 25 Ft/Lbs
Small flat tip screwdriver
Funnel

Before I changed the CVT oil, I wanted to check the level as per Service Bulletin NTB12-057. I brought temp count right to 161 and I was shocked to see the fluid over serviced right from Nissan. It was beyond the full hash mark for full. Since I live in the north east I never got the transmission into fail safe.

First thing is to make sure you can remove the dip stick.

Use a small screw driver and push the little tab and then pull out dipstick

Jack up vehicle and remove CVT drain Plug and drain into pan. I then measured how much oil came out and I got 4 quarts and 23 ounces.

After CVT oil stops draining, replace gasket and install drain plug. Torque drain plug to 25 ft/lbs.
Update from Scooter71. The new style drain plug gasket is the same one as the oil drain plug and when torqued properly will show a gap between the plug and pan. The new gasket has a notch on one side, I faced it toward the plug side so I can give the smooth sealing surface to the drain pan

Take out dipstick and put funnel into tube and fill with CVT fluid. Be careful not to drip oil onto exhaust. I did that and car smoked for several days. The oil is very light like 10 weight oil so it is very easy to spill. Since the CVT was overfilled I filled CVT with 4 quarts of fluid. The 4 quarts just put me on the low side of the dipstick with engine off and cold.

I then took car out for a drive to warm it up and it took 8 miles before I got the temp count up to 161.

With the engine at idle and ran thru all gears, I then checked the fluid and was a little low and added an additional 10 ounces of oil to bring it to the middle of the mark in Service Bulletin NTB12-057. Since I measured the quantity out, the transmission was over serviced by 13 ounces right from the factory.

I then cleared the CVT fluid deterioration date.

Here is picture of the new fluid compared to the oil fluid. The new oil is green and you can see through it. This CVT has 37000 miles on it and this fluid is supposed to last the life of vehicle???

This job took me a total of 3 hours, including taking pictures and driving it around town to warm up transmission. Since I know exactly how much fluid I put in, the next time I change the oil should be faster than an oil change.

On a final note, I suggest everyone check their fluid level as mine was overfilled right from Nissan. I you don’t have a scanner for fluid temp count then I would suggest driving your car for about 8 miles of local 25-40 MPH roads with an outside air temp of 70 degrees. I did notice that my car is much quieter and I dont hear a gurgling noise anymore. I hope this helps anyone who plans on changing their oil.
Last edited by dave08902 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dave08902

Thanks, I am using the Nissan NS-2 fluid and I am going to follow the service bulletin for correct fluid level at a specfic temperature. I am also going to measure out exactly how much fluid I drained for reference of the amount to put back in.

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

I'm interested! I'm always willing to learn on how to do new things.

Black B15

JMed wrote:I'm interested! I'm always willing to learn on how to do new things.
Likewise. To quote that old kids show from when I was a kid....KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

dave08902 wrote:Thanks, I am using the Nissan NS-2 fluid and I am going to follow the service bulletin for correct fluid level at a specfic temperature. I am also going to measure out exactly how much fluid I drained for reference of the amount to put back in.
thankfully you are using the right fluid! :) do you have FSM?(field service manual)

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I'd be interested in it, however it's not something I would want to attempt myself given the CVT is under warranty right now :)

dave08902

Yes, I have the FSM and I don't do anything on my car's without reading and following the manual.

They can't void your warranty for your trans if you follow their procedure and use the correct fluid. It would be impossible for the dealer to prove you performed incorrect maintanance if all they could look at is the color of the fluid.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

they cant void your warranty for work performed(by anyone), as long as the damage being reported is not related to improper maintenance.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

dave08902 wrote:Yes, I have the FSM and I don't do anything on my car's without reading and following the manual.

They can't void your warranty for your trans if you follow their procedure and use the correct fluid. It would be impossible for the dealer to prove you performed incorrect maintanance if all they could look at is the color of the fluid.
And you cannot prove that you followed the correct maintenance procedure. It's really a chicken and egg situation.

I think it is reasonable to say that if you experience a problem and they were able to suggest it is because you changed the fluid improperly you would, at a minimum, be without your car (as I am assuming the CVT broke at this point) while they make a decision on whether you are covered. This would most likely entail a hassle on your part and most likely the rental of a vehicle in the meantime. Hopefully your claim would be resolved quickly but it may be weeks, especially if they initially deny your claim.

Regardless of what people think this does happen. Not "all the time" because let's face it, it's not a common occurrence for a catastrophic failure. Some have it covered in the end and others don't but the one certainty is that you'll be out your time and most likely money (on a rental).

The only reason I would think this doesn't apply is if the US has some specific laws (not being an American I would not know of them). However in Canada having a receipt for a part isn't proof enough it was installed correctly.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

TrevorK wrote:
dave08902 wrote:Yes, I have the FSM and I don't do anything on my car's without reading and following the manual.

And you cannot prove that you followed the correct maintenance procedure. It's really a chicken and egg situation.

I think it is reasonable to say that if you experience a problem and they were able to suggest it is because you changed the fluid improperly you would, at a minimum, be without your car (as I am assuming the CVT broke at this point) while they make a decision on whether you are covered. This would most likely entail a hassle on your part and most likely the rental of a vehicle in the meantime. Hopefully your claim would be resolved quickly but it may be weeks, especially if they initially deny your claim.

Regardless of what people think this does happen. Not "all the time" because let's face it, it's not a common occurrence for a catastrophic failure. Some have it covered in the end and others don't but the one certainty is that you'll be out your time and most likely money (on a rental).

The only reason I would think this doesn't apply is if the US has some specific laws (not being an American I would not know of them). However in Canada having a receipt for a part isn't proof enough it was installed correctly.
i have to agree.
knowing how these companies try and save, and always throw fault on someone else - i wouldnt doubt it if nissan tried to do this as well.

Qashqai

Thank you Dave.

I have a question. When I check the CVT fluid level, when the engine is still running, the oil on the dipstick is all full of bubbles. How yours is so "bubble-free"?
dave08902 wrote: Image

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

great write-up! thank you very much.

PS: i did a little house keeping in here.

dave08902

Your welcome, Its the least I could do in this great Forum.

When the tranny was overfilled, it was full of bubbles and when I set down the dip stick to take the pictures they all popped. Then after I filled it to the correct level there was only one little bubble on stick and they quickly popped.

tiggy_rogue

Dave:

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I checked the transmission fluid the first time in 5 years and 70k miles this morning. Your instructions helped me tremendously. The fluid was definitely not black as yours, it was clear just like a freshly opened motor oil. However I am not comfortable being in the engine bay when the car is running or the car is hot. I checked it when the car is cold in the morning. The level was above the crosshatched region. If it is not too much work for you, can you please check the transmission fluid level the engine is cold,and post it here? I am thinking those notches in the dipstick should correspond to levels for room temperature check, maybe???

Thanks in advance.

dave08902

On a cold transmission and not running, the fluid level was between the top ash mark and just above the upper notch. I though my fluid was clean also, the first picture in this write-up of the dip stick was taken with the original fluid before the oil change. When the old fluid came out it looked like clean motor oil and when I pored it into a container it looked black. On a white rag it looks clean and clear, it is deceiving.

tiggy_rogue

Thank you Dave. I am now sure that my transmission was overfilled from the factory. As I live in south Florida with nights at low 80s and days in upper 90s, my transmission whines whenever I drive 75 or above. I have a top side oil change vacuum thingy, I will suck some from dipstick to reduce to the proper level, I will change the fluid this winter when the weather is much better.

Thank you again.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

tiggy_rogue wrote: I am not comfortable being in the engine bay when the car is running or the car is hot. I checked it when the car is cold in the morning.
tiggy_rogue wrote:Thank you Dave. I am now sure that my transmission was overfilled from the factory. As I live in south Florida with nights at low 80s and days in upper 90s, my transmission whines whenever I drive 75 or above. I have a top side oil change vacuum thingy, I will suck some from dipstick to reduce to the proper level, I will change the fluid this winter when the weather is much better.

Thank you again.
unless you checked your fluid level the proper way, dont touch it. if you are afraid of going under the hood while the engine is working - please stay out.

tiggy_rogue

ImStricken wrote:
tiggy_rogue wrote: I am not comfortable being in the engine bay when the car is running or the car is hot. I checked it when the car is cold in the morning.
tiggy_rogue wrote:Thank you Dave. I am now sure that my transmission was overfilled from the factory. As I live in south Florida with nights at low 80s and days in upper 90s, my transmission whines whenever I drive 75 or above. I have a top side oil change vacuum thingy, I will suck some from dipstick to reduce to the proper level, I will change the fluid this winter when the weather is much better.

Thank you again.
unless you checked your fluid level the proper way, dont touch it. if you are afraid of going under the hood while the engine is working - please stay out.
Actually, this is a fair comment. Maybe I shouldn't mess with it. It is still under warranty for another 50k. Thanks for the good point.

dave08902

ImStricken is right, you should check transmission properly. Since you are not comfortable and its still under warranty, I would suggest going to dealer and have it done there. At least you will know it's done correctly and tell them that you are getting winning noise and tell them about Service Bulletin NTB12-057 and you might get it done for free.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

tiggy_rogue wrote:"unless you checked your fluid level the proper way, dont touch it. if you are afraid of going under the hood while the engine is working - please stay out."
tiggy_rogue wrote:Actually, this is a fair comment. Maybe I shouldn't mess with it. It is still under warranty for another 50k. Thanks for the good point.
tiggy's post right here is why i love this forum. this place is filled with wise, level headed, mature, adults that have the inner strength to know right from wrong, without puffing their chest out like a stubborn rooster. any other forum, and my post would have been needlessly taken as an insult, and resulted in some forum fight. i wasnt trying to offend you in any way, i just wanted to give you sound advice, and thats exactly how you took it. thank you for adding to this forum, by being a leveled, good person.

tiggy_rogue

Thank you Imstricken for helping many of us. I agree that this place is unusually nice:) Both the moderators and contributors. I usually don't reply and thank you but take advantage of many of your posts. I am sure there are many others members like me here. CHEERS.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

tiggy_rogue wrote:Thank you Imstricken for helping many of us. I agree that this place is unusually nice:) Both the moderators and contributors. I usually don't reply and thank you but take advantage of many of your posts. I am sure there are many others members like me here. CHEERS.
thank you for the kind words. :) and i agree, this place is unusually nice. the members here are absolutely the best. one couldn't ask for more.

jarko
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hey, thanks for the great write up. I have a couple questions regarding this, the service manual states that CVT takes about 10Q of oil, is it normal that only about 4QT of fluid gets replaced?

I looked into the CONSULT III Diagnostic tool, this is a fairly expensive item, is there any other way to clear the CVT fluid deterioration date?

Thanks!

dave08902

Your Welcome.
It holds 9 quarts with a empty transmission and torque converter. When you change the oil, you only get 4 1/2 quarts of oil out. The rest of the oil is in the torque converter, valve body, clutch packs and fluid passages. With all transmissions you can only do partial oil changes unless you overhaul the transmission and change the torque converter. The scanner I used to view and clear the CVT fluid deteration date is a Autoenginuity Proline scanner with domestic and Asian packages.

jarko

Thanks again for the additional information, it was helpful.

SlimSlammedRogue

My CVT makes a whining noise and i can only hear it when the windows down, not when its up

dave08902

I checked my car from 0 to 80 mph next to a jersey barrier and I got no whining sound. Does it go away if you turn the wheel a little? It might be a wheel bearing going bad.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

you dont need a jersey barrier, nor the windows down. you can hear it in the cabin, just fine with daily driving. the hotter it is outside, the louder this whine is. if you dont hear it: your fine or your deaf. lol

KTM144sx
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

Great write up with pics but I'm concerned I'm missing some of the details. In some of the posts it mentions to check the fluid level with the engine running but it doesn't mention that in the write up. So I'm thinking it must be in the TSB which I don't have access to??

Do you have to jack your car up to drain the oil?? Is there anything else missing from the write up that's in the TSB?

dave08902

Yes you are right, you need to have engine running and the fluid at the correct temp to check the level. You don't need to jack up the car to change the oil. All you need to get to is the drain plug and if you can crawl under car and get to it your fine.

Return to “Rogue Forum”