2010 Nissan Rogue SL CVT problems

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
RBWhoooo
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL

Hey guys,

I own a 2010 Nissan Rogue SL with 170xxx miles.

Got stuck in some snow today, gave it some gas and heard a loud clunky noise and all four wheels stop spinning. Turned the car off and turned it back on and was able to get the car going again. But now when the car is in drive or reverse it makes a whole bunch of clunking/clicking noises they seem to get a little worse when you give it gas. They go away once I put it in park. Now when I put it in park on a hill it slides like park is not working so I have to use the parking brake. The rpms also seem to jump up and down while driving depending on how much gas you try to give it, best way to describe it as like the clutch is slipping. This all happened today. Been researching a bit and found a little but not so much.

Just wanted your guys opinion on what it could be before I dig into or if it’s even worth digging into it.

Thanks.

RBWhoooo

Should mention it’s AWD

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

The first thing I do when something like this happens is pop the hood or crawl underneath and see if there are obvious problems. Have you even done that? You could have a number of things wrong from an axle that came apart to a CVT that is knackered.

A friend of mine drove a Honda CR-V, a little older model. He and his wife were in a nearby town and heard a noise from the front of the vehicle, did he stop, pop the hood and look? Of course not he just kept driving. Down the road five miles he noticed that the heat gauge was pegged. Now he pulls off the road and stops and calls someone.

His serpentine belt broke, a $35 item, but because he wouldn’t even look and kept going he ruined the engine. That belt drives the water pump on his particular model year. Now he’s looking for a new vehicle and has 0 trade in value from the old.

When something makes a terrible or unusual noise take a look and see if something is obviously, visually wrong. Vehicles are always worth digging into.

I would think a noise like that could very well be a cv axle joint that came apart. If so and you keep driving it and it’s flopping around it will do all kinds of additional damage, and the fix cost could go from a couple of hundred to several thousand dollars.
Stop driving it until you figure out what’s going on.

RBWhoooo

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 am
The first thing I do when something like this happens is pop the hood or crawl underneath and see if there are obvious problems. Have you even done that? You could have a number of things wrong from an axle that came apart to a CVT that is knackered.

A friend of mine drove a Honda CR-V, a little older model. He and his wife were in a nearby town and heard a noise from the front of the vehicle, did he stop, pop the hood and look? Of course not he just kept driving. Down the road five miles he noticed that the heat gauge was pegged. Now he pulls off the road and stops and calls someone.

His serpentine belt broke, a $35 item, but because he wouldn’t even look and kept going he ruined the engine. That belt drives the water pump on his particular model year. Now he’s looking for a new vehicle and has 0 trade in value from the old.

When something makes a terrible or unusual noise take a look and see if something is obviously, visually wrong. Vehicles are always worth digging into.

I would think a noise like that could very well be a cv axle joint that came apart. If so and you keep driving it and it’s flopping around it will do all kinds of additional damage, and the fix cost could go from a couple of hundred to several thousand dollars.
Stop driving it until you figure out what’s going on.
Yes, I did try looking under the car. Yes, I popped the hood. No, I didn't keep driving it. This happened in my driveway. It was dark when this happened so I wasn't able to see the best last night, and the shop was full so we couldn't pull it in. Will be pulling it in tonight and will look at the axles and everything else. Thanks for the reply.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I apologize, in reading your original post it sounded like you were driving down the road and just kept going. You’re lucky it happened in your driveway. I’ll be interested to know what the problem turns out to be.

dave08902
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360'

With the mileage you have. I think your push belt is worn and destroying itself. The reason it will not go into park is because the parking lock is on the secondary output pulley and most likely pieces of the belt are preventing the parking lock to work. When the vehicle is in park the forward clutch is not engaged so the primary and secondary pulleys are not moving, that is why when you put it into park the noise stops. Hopefully, if both pulleys are good, then all you need is a new push belt.

Return to “Rogue Forum”