Any VQ30DET experts around?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

The VQ engine board doesn't get alot of traffic, so I thought I'd post this here since I'm speculating about the merits of an s13 vq30det swap.

Maybe this motor is old news to most of you guys, but I just recently learned about it and have voraciously gobbling up all info that I can find on it. But I'm coming up empty on some tidbits of info. Apparently it hasn't become popular in the S chassis crowd, but I think all that's about to change soon.

So I'm going to list info I've found about it and need you guys to chime in. Hopefully we can create a comprehensive thread with useful info all compiled and centrally located.

The VQ30DET is only available in RWD form in the JDM vehicles Cedric, Gloria, Leopard and the Cima. Nissan started using them in 1995 and is still currently using them in the Cima apparently... So this motor has been in use for almost 15 years! It should take quite a while for supplies of them to start drying up.

Pros: -It's the only VQ turbocharged from the factory. -Depending on the year, it makes between 266 to 276hp and 271 to 285ft·lb.-Coming from a stock KA or SR, you get a big jump in displacement and power/torque while still being lightweight.-6spd VQ transmission bolts up with little work.-Parts interchangeabilty with VQ30DE and VQ35DE. Which parts? Not totally sure yet...

Cons: -VQ swaps aren't mainstream yet, so the swap maybe more involved than what most are used to, but this swap has been done before...-The turbo manifold is in the way of our steering components. Just fab a new manifold...-Not many ppl know how to wire up a VQ and diagrams seem hard to find.-Aftermarket? What is that? I can't find much at all. JWT's got a little stuff...

Things I've heard but can't confirm yet:-The VQ30DET internals can hold up to 550hp without much trouble.-Bolting on a Pathfinder 6spd tranny is less work than a Z/G tranny.-The bore and stroke are the same as VQ30DE motors. Does that mean the internals are the same? -How can we confirm the strength of this motor versus the VQ35 and VQ30DE?-The head/intake manifold are better designed than the VQ35 and are interchangeable. Can VQ35 head parts be used? Like cams, for example?-You can remain single turbo or bolt on twins pretty easy.

In stock form, you get RB-like power in a package lighter than a KA with an awesome 6spd tranny. And all without inter-brand swapping. Want more power? It's seems SR simple! Just universal bolt on upgrades like FMIC, injectors and bigger turbo with a tune. Whats not to like?

I really feel that this motor could be the perfect choice for a 240 swap if we compile all our knowlegde. Even moreso than anything previously exploited. If you got more info/questions or just wanna poke any holes in this idea, post it up!
Modified by simmode1 at 2:42 PM 5/24/2009

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

I would just get VQ30DE and swap it in. Or get the DE ECU and wire that into your s13.

As you pointed out the big thing with any engine, IE the turbo manifold doesn't really work.

So the only worth while part is the actual block/heads/IM.

I don't know if nistune is available to tune the VQ30DET or VQ30DE but if possible, I would get which ever has that option.

I know a guy on maxima.org has one in his maxima. He refabbed the engine mounts to fit the turbo and all that but he wanted a OE setup.

IMO best case VQ30 swap would be all stuff we can get here, as in ECU, wiring, Z/G tranny, custom exhaust manifolds, and a VQ30DET actual block. Only because it can hold good HP stock.

But then the VQ30 has been proven to 400WHP reliably on maxima.org too.

BTW I have a G35 VQ35 sitting in my garage. I used to have a VQ30 but I sold it. It'll probably be close to a year before I get it running :/

~Alex

simmode1

My thinking is this: Why go thru the trouble of converting a FWD motor to work when there is a RWD that's already been setup for turbo with possibly stronger internals? I mean, there's a huge difference in stock to stock power and ever peak power potential between theses two motor. Doing a custom manifold doesn't seem hard at all. Take a look at this build thread...

http://www.engineswaptech.com/....aspx

And I know that most 240 owners don't want to be capped at a 400whp limit like the VQ35de or VQ30de will do to you. We may never ever use it, but we all want the most potent motor that we can find with a low price. And I have been seeing VQ30DET's minus tranny on sale starting at around $1g...
Modified by simmode1 at 3:40 PM 5/24/2009

gregfarz78
Car: 04 Honda S2000
97 Nissan Hardbody King Cab 4x4
09 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5L

I hate to plug another board but check out zilvia.net theres a guy on there thats swapping a vq30det into an s14 its lots of custom fab work but should be pretty badass. The VQ swap seems to be gaining popularity I would just stick with a vq35 from a G/Z get that up and running first then decide if you really need boost. VQ35 can handle up to 400whp before you need to start messing with internals, personally I'd rather have a 400whp VQ over a 400whp SR.

simmode1

fredlina wrote: Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump (Rotary Vane pump for short) is a mechanical vacuum pump oil seal. Pressure range of its work 101325-1.33 × 10-2 (Pa) a low-vacuum pump. It can be used alone, or as other high-vacuum or ultra-high vacuum pump before the class. It has been widely used in metallurgy, machinery, military, electronics, chemical industry, light industry, oil and pharmaceutical production and scientific research departments. Rotary vane pumps can be sealed container extraction in the dry gas, with gas if the town of devices can also be drawn in addition to a certain amount of gas condensate. But it is not suitable for high oxygen extraction of metal corrosive to pump oil from a chemical reaction, as well as gases containing dust particles.http://www.vacuum-pumps-manufacturer.com
Your 1st post = Fail? Wrong thread maybe?
gregfarz78 wrote:I hate to plug another board but check out zilvia.net theres a guy on there thats swapping a vq30det into an s14 its lots of custom fab work but should be pretty badass. The VQ swap seems to be gaining popularity I would just stick with a vq35 from a G/Z get that up and running first then decide if you really need boost. VQ35 can handle up to 400whp before you need to start messing with internals, personally I'd rather have a 400whp VQ over a 400whp SR.
I know the thread you're talking about, but I can't find it at the moment. I know he is doing both a VQ35 and VQ30DET to show it can be done so he can sell his swap kits. I applaud the man and will probably buy from him.

Yes, the VQ35 is a perfectly capable motor. And so is a KA when you turbo it. But some ppl want something stronger. I thnk this is a perfect way to compare the two motors... The VQ35DE is to the VQ30DET what the SR20DET is to the KA24DE. Reaching a certain HP goal with one of these motors will be easier (and maybe cheaper) than the other.

Some ppl want something built to withstand higher levels of boost from the factory. I feel like I'm finally starting to understand SR guys lol... But I would never want to swap in a motor with lower displacement than what I already had...
Modified by simmode1 at 8:55 PM 5/24/2009

gregfarz78

I feel you I have a vq35 sitting in my garage right now I keep going back and forth keep the vq or just go big and do a lsx...but then I kinda want to keep it pure and all nissan lol. I guess it depends what your goals are I just want a fun weekend cruiser so a 300hp n/a vq35 will be plenty fun for me, even an occasional trip to the track you should be in the 12s with some good tires and a few bolt ons.

Ask yourself...how fast do you want to go? how much money do you have? and how reliable do you want?

simmode1

To be honest, I can't see myself wanting more than 370 to the wheels, maybe even less. But I started this thread for the community, not just for me. This way we could discuss the merits of this motor, it's potential, it's strengths and it's weaknesses.

This thread is inspired by stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnEjNI9b_Y

500hp on a stock block. In the VQ35's dreams...

gregfarz78

Thats pretty sick

One thing I'll add is it would probably be a lot easier to wire up than a VQ35. From what I understand the weak point of the vq35 is the rods, still I've seen the vq35 getting cheaper and cheaper you can pick up a long block for $1000 now a days drop some money into new rods and pistons and you have a pretty stout motor to work with.

silviaS13lover
Car: yellow llama onevia

i hate to burst bubbles but i have to explain why this would not be as cool as it sounds.

z32 engines are a whore to work on being their so cramped. z32 is a much bigger car than an s13. ive done 2 vg30 swaps into z32's and it sucks balls. if a turbo goes tits up, you basically have to pull the engine to change the damn thing. the tt tranny is about as big as an rb25 tranny so you have to beat the hell out of the tranny tunnel for clearance. i can also see clearance issues with the steering rack clearing the down pipe on the left side. (lhd) also avoid an 0bd2 engine so that the wiring isnt such a pain. also driveline, mounts crossmember. it would be a huge project. if you want 370whp. look into an ls swap. that would be way simplier being their is already mount kits etc. available.

some guys i work with did an rb25dett swap, yes rb25dett. they tuned it on nistune and the engine bay is way easier to work in. it also made just under 400whp.

i hope you don't go threw with the vg30 swap. my complaining is over/ gl on your decision.

simmode1

^^^ I hate to burst bubbles but i have to explain why you're not as literate as you are trying to pretend to be lol... but we are not discussing the Z32 motor/VG30DETT. Please Re-read the original post. This is a VQ we are talking about. Totally different beast.

Z32 VG30DETT

Cima VQ30DET

By the way... ppl have swapp VG30DETT's into s13's too...

Don't get buttsore though! I'm just teasing you! But that is the very problem... Whenever ppl start talking about the VQ30DET, most folks think you're talking about the VG30DETT. If you read related threads online, this is a VERY common mistake. The VQ is smaller, lighter and far more advanced. Maybe even more so than the RB26 which was designed in the '80's.

The VQ30DET is STILL in use today! And get this, Nissan started making LHD Cima's for sale in China in 2003 with VQ30DETs. Maybe that might lead to the answer of our exhaust manifold/steering linking problem...

I would love for somebody who has been to Japan recently to comment on the aftermarket support for this motor. I mean, there must be some. Super GT used twin turbo versions of this same motor and JUN built this 700hp monster years ago...

http://www.superstreetonline.c....html
Modified by simmode1 at 6:58 PM 7/7/2009

1990-240sxsr20det
Car: 1992 s13 Coupe

[QUOTE=simmode1]^^^ I hate to burst bubbles but i have to explain why you're not as literate as you are trying to pretend to be lol... but we are not discussing the Z32 motor/VG30DETT. Please Re-read the original post. This is a VQ we are talking about. Totally different beast.

Touche...I hope i spelled that right lolI'm liking the idea, its new and not the same ole' swap that most do.It seems like everyone is going sr or ka't these days.So with that said +1 for something newAnd also +1 for something that very few have done.

silviaS13lover

sheeit. why did you post pics of that vg30? im gonna have nightmares. lol. anywho i mixed the 2 up. (long day at work) the vq in the picture looks bare as hell though. still kinda face the same problems as clearence and wiring issues. wondering if you would push the engine back, or pull it forward in an s-chassis? and you thaught rb/ca/sr parts are hard to find. unless the vq35de parts can cross over.

simmode1

silviaS13lover wrote: still kinda face the same problems as clearence and wiring issues. wondering if you would push the engine back, or pull it forward in an s-chassis? and you thaught rb/ca/sr parts are hard to find. unless the vq35de parts can cross over.
I'm glad you mentioned that. From the build thread I linked in my 2nd post. RHD S14 with VQ30DET...

I'm searching for info, but I think I remember VQ35DE exhaust and turbo manifolds being capatible. What these cats were doing for twin turbo projects was reversing Z manifold to mount on the opposite side so they point towards the front of the car and away front steering components.

Apparently there's a lot of compatible parts from Maximas' and Z33's too. I just don't know what all of them are yet... Stuff like water pumps, alternaters, starters, yada yada yada...

Edit: This is the stock VQ30DET manifold...

I wonder if you can just turn dat ho around and put the turbo side on the opposite side of the motor? You'd have to do something about that middle piping running in front of your engine though... Hmm... It's probably not that easy huh?
Modified by simmode1 at 10:57 PM 5/24/2009

silviaS13lover

simmode1 wrote:
I wonder if you can just turn dat ho around and put the turbo side on the opposite side of the motor? You'd have to do something about that middle piping running in front of your engine though... Hmm... It's probably not that easy huh?

Modified by simmode1 at 10:57 PM 5/24/2009
if that did work, then running an exhaust would suck being stock is on the left. also the flange's may be reversed if flipped. if people can make an rb26dett downpipe fit on lhd, i doubt this would be a huge problem.

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

You guys need to check out what the 350Z guys are doing now. 500WHP isn't really a problem on stock internals. They were blowing up easy before mostly because of too much timing. Now tuners are more familiar with the motor and are making more HP.

One of the reasons why I'm going with a VQ35 is so I can just buy parts here. VQ30DE can get parts here, but there's shops based on the VQ35/350Z. plus .5L more spools some nice turbos.

Just wondering, why does the JUN 350z have 350z timing equipment? They may have put on 350z heads for the VTCs but that says 3.5L to me.

~Alex

simmode1

I had a feeling that would happen to the 350z. Just like how years ago, ppl said 6-8psi was all the stock KA could handle. As time progresses, the knowledge available makes a motor easier to tune.

Now, I had recently read that some Z guys were replacing their internals with VQ30DET internals (crank, rods and maybe pistons) because they were stronger and de-stroking their motor to a 3.3L for higher boost.

Not to disregard the VQ35, but I really want to focus on the VQ30 in order to explore even more options for inexpensive power. Because it seem like, based on what I'm seeing on other boards, the 500hp is just bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and a bigger turbo away for the VQ. Kinda like hitting mid 300's with an SR. I haven't seen anything yet that even hints that 500hp is the limit of this motor's stock potential...

I guess maybe I need to sign up at vq30det.com to see what's really up. Because telling someone to just go VQ35DE-T is just like telling someone interested in SR to go KA-T. The only problem is there's tons of SR info around, but very little VQ30DET info. The more info we have, the more informed decisions/opinions we can make...
Modified by simmode1 at 7:03 PM 7/7/2009

gregfarz78

You can probably run 500whp on stock vq35 internals but for how long and how reliable? Just spend a little bit of extra money and upgrade the rods and pistons then never worry about touching the internals again.

But let us know what you find out about the vq30 I'm interested even though I'm not going that route.

simmode1

I want proof of these 500hp stock block VQ35's. I'm in the 350Z board all the time and the fastest car over there belongs to Jetpilot. He's got a fully built, forged bottom end with twin turbos. He's making about 550hp and 518tq. He seems like a really smart guy and if the VQ35 stock internals were capable of 500hp, I doubt he would have spent all that money for just an extra 50hp.

If I sign up at VQ30DET.com, I'll bring whatever info I understand back, because this really needs to be available on NICO since this is the world's leading Nissan forum. But we really need someone with more mechanical expertise than me contributing info. I'm a noob...

Edit: I just read on Wiki that the VQ30DET actually was discontinued in 2007 due to tighter emissions restrictions for turbocharged cars. But by that time it was making 280 and had a Nismo ECU upgrade available that produced another 50hp.

Seriously guys... this motor sounds like a sleeping giant to me. A diamond in the rough. A secret uber motor...
Modified by simmode1 at 7:04 PM 7/7/2009

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

this is pretty interesting stuff. I will keep reading, always cool to find something new.

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

Why deal with pioneering a vq swap when it would be easily outdone by an ls1?

simmode1

mattblancarte wrote:Why deal with pioneering a vq swap when it would be easily outdone by an ls1?
For the same reason anyone would swap in an RB25 or 26 which is also easily outdone by the LS1. The difference is, at least this swap will let you use a 6spd tranny with ease versus having to use 5spd RB25 trannys for your swap. Another plus? Saving over a 120 lbs compared to a LS1 swap and even more compared to a RB25/RB26. RB's are great and all, but let's not get it twisted. This motor was used in Super GT racing far more recently than any RB, so it's racing pedigree should not be in question here.

I wouldn't exactly call what I am doing as pioneering. It's been done. And it's been proven to be effective. I just want there to be a centrally located source of info on NICO.

Ok... in addition to that Jun built Option Z33 I posted earlier, there is this Top Secret built VQ30DET as well. But Super Street has crappy writers and very little detail is available on the motor. Apparently it has some Jun goodies that helps it make almost 700hp while revving to 8k rpm.

http://www.superstreetonline.c....html

I was able to find some nice info. The stock turbo on VQ30DET's is a ceramic T3 similar to what you'd find on Z31 turbo's and RB25DET's. Therefore, they are prone to turbo failure if you push them too far. Generally speaking, the stock snail can give you about 280whp. Beyond that is pushing it. However, some ppl replace the stock turbo internals with a gt30 cartridge and make up to 310hp. An actual GT30 turbo is easily capable of 450hp on this motor.

I also found that the stock rev limit is 6800rm. Many ppl tune theirs to a 7500 rpm limit. At 8000rpm, stuff starts breaking. Ppl have installed stronger valve springs and retainers but haven't really pushed them to the max for fear of breaking more stuff...

Also, I have confirmed that the VQ30DET has stronger pistons/rods than the VQ35, It also has a micropolished crank, oil squiters for the pistons and a lower compression ratio ( 9:1) than the VQ35.
Modified by simmode1 at 2:07 PM 5/25/2009

mattblancarte

Yeah, I have no idea why people swap RB's when they could do an LS1. I would trade my 26 for a clean LS1 swap (with comparable mods) any day. It would be way better for what I use my car for.

The weight savings of the VQ do sound good, though. I'd still go with the 13b over all of these motors, though.

Just looked around on google for a bit and found out that Nissan used the TT version for a few years in JGTC competition. I wonder what modifications they used for road racing...

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

sometime people want to do things to their cars just to do them. Why does everything have to be as cost effective as possible. If he wanted to do an LSx swap then he wouldn't be making this topic.....

He didn't ask for opinions, he asked for help.

mattblancarte

DMan II-40 wrote:He didn't ask for opinions, he asked for help.
False. Please take a moment to re-read the OP.

"If you got more info/questions or just wanna poke any holes in this idea, post it up!"
DMan II-40 wrote:Why does everything have to be as cost effective as possible.
Some folks like to let logic dictate the majority of their decision making. Doing things to "do them" can often lead to regret.

Ali 556
Car: '95 S14 Se....

to run the bull crap VQ you must swap keys in order to get threw the NATS system BS

swaping a LS1 is faster and will get you more HP/$$$ and it has one hell of aft. market support,,,

S14 With LS7 Block And L92 heads + intake + cam + Headers + Tune...Made 525 WHP N/A

Get me a crappy Z engine to do that

simmode1

Ali 556 wrote:
S14 With LS7 Block And L92 heads + intake + cam + Headers + Tune...Made 525 WHP N/A

Get me a crappy Z engine to do that
How many phucking times do I have to say that this is NOT A PHUCKING Z ENGINE!!!

And you can refer to the youtube link I posted earlier for your inane request. It's the one of the 500hp Skyline running an 11.2 in the quarter mile on street tires with a VQ30DET that has never been opened. Bolt on upgrades only. In an s13, that motor could possibly make a very streetable 10 second car. Not that many of us care about 10 second cars though...

mattblancarte

I believe the caveat to that request was a naturally-aspirated VQ.

The VQ30DET seems like a legit motor from what I've read here, and in a few moments of googling.

simmode1

mattblancarte wrote:I believe the caveat to that request was a naturally-aspirated VQ.
You're right, he did. But since this thread isn't about VQ35's or N/A power, I choose to ignore that. But the most powerful N/A VQ35 I've seen was the Cosworth VQ. It made 385 at the crank and revved over 10k rpm.

Sorry for flying off the handle.

At this point, I guess, the info I want to know but haven't found yet are:- How much power can the stock internals really handle?-What are common solutions to the turbo manifold/steering linkage issue?-Exactly what parts are interchangable between the VQ35DE & VQ30DE?-What's up on the aftermarket? Does Jun have it cornered? I know there are valve springs/retainers available, but I'm curious about cams. JWT has some, but they look.... meh...

I... think... that's about it.
Modified by simmode1 at 3:48 PM 5/25/2009

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

this does seem iteresting. what i would like to know is electrical. how much BS do they run into in doin the swap.

simmode1

Wc240 wrote:this does seem iteresting. what i would like to know is electrical. how much BS do they run into in doin the swap.
If you go to VQ30DET.com, they seem to have this swap down packed! Of course, most of them seem to be in Australia...

I hunted around and found wiring info! I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at, but here it is!

http://www.vq30det.com/phpBB3/...=1756

I feel kinda bad ripping off VQ30DET.com... I'm getting ALL my info from them and Wiki...
Modified by simmode1 at 5:43 PM 5/25/2009

Return to “240sx General Discussion”