Any VQ30DET experts around?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
spectral7
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

Hmm. You know if a VQ30-K swap would be similar, wiring and pricing and all?

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Nah... I just got alot of time on my hands. lol

I looked around and that group buy thread for VQ swap kits that I was referring to is closed. But those kits were advanced prototypes from what I understand. They are still undergoing some fine tuning, so to speak. I think that, within the next 5-6 months, there will probably be at least 3 good quality swap kits available. And kit prices range from $500 - $900.

Just gather info/resources and make sure the other areas of your car are in order first. By the time you've got your chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires all taken care of... VQ swap info will be everywhere.

simmode1

spectral7 wrote:Hmm. You know if a VQ30-K swap would be similar, wiring and pricing and all?
Isn't that the Maxima version? If so, that would be more like swapping a FWD VQ35DE into an s chassis, rather than a VQ30DET which is already setup for RWD...

But I'm fairly certain that swap has been done before too...

S14Juggalo
Car: 95 240sx (S14)

now is that swap kit mouter mounts trans mounts exhaust manifolds? Pretty much what all will the swap kit entail? You got me CRUNK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Chingon

I know it's all wonderful what if's when you find out about a new engine but this swap became unattractive to me when the 3.5 started becoming an inexpensive option that was readily available. I had sourced a complete clip for around 1200 (dropped to 1k) sans maf, located in bilouxi mississippi, but this was pre-katrina. I still have the address somewhere if anyone cares.

Chingon

PS: venus auto seemed to import these clips back in the day for around 1900 if I remember correctly, but don't know if they are still in business

simmode1

Chingon wrote:I know it's all wonderful what if's when you find out about a new engine but this swap became unattractive to me when the 3.5 started becoming an inexpensive option that was readily available. I had sourced a complete clip for around 1200 (dropped to 1k) sans maf, located in bilouxi mississippi, but this was pre-katrina. I still have the address somewhere if anyone cares.
I agree somewhat. You can't really ignore the great deals available for the 3.5L.

I'm really waiting to see how Ameen's project turns out before I make a final decision. Hopefully, that will be before I decide to get rid of both my 240's...

xxtokesxx
Car: I have a couple...

I really wish I could expedite the process here. Thankfully things are going smooth. The only real thing I need to do is finish the wiring, buy a driveshaft, and finish my piping. It's taking a while because we are taking things slow, and I'm also in the process of selling everything I own on my nx2000. Add in the fact that we are doing everything ourselves and bingo - time time time.

If you had any questions feel free to spit them. If I can answer them I will do my best.

Right now I'm assuming my build will be running maybe Summer 2010 but who knows, the way things are going it might be a boring winter

At the moment, I'm waiting on my turbo at the machine shop to have its turbine housing machined, and I just got my front 5 lug hubs and rotors back in. My boy Brennan (sinistersntra91) just finished up fabbing up the exhaust manifolds and charge piping on his car (the mock up car) a couple weeks ago. The foundation is set, and the main thing is reproducing it for my car. Again, we are taking our time mainly due to the obvious money (can only spend a certain amount a month; and definitely don't believe in putting car parts on credit) and time (working full time, have a house, and a girlfriend, am busy, etc, enter excuse here).

Time will come though. I will definitely keep dropping in...

Ameen

simmode1

Hey man, good things take time, right? There's no rush, on my account! I'm just glad you're taking your time to do it right the first time and you're keeping it really simple and easy for noobs like me to follow.

My #1 question is: What happened to the group buy for you and Brennan's VQ mounts? I've got a link to it on Zilvia, but it says I don't have access to it. Is the thread locked and closed? It had some good referrence info in it.

I'm trying to verify if the VQ35DE mounts are different from the VQ30DET mounting hardware or not.

Question #2 is: Can you comment on why you chose to run a big single instead of twin turbos? I know that would add a little complexity, but wouldn't there be less modifying that you guys would have had to do to those manifolds?

xxtokesxx

simmode1 wrote:Hey man, good things take time, right? There's no rush, on my account! I'm just glad you're taking your time to do it right the first time and you're keeping it really simple and easy for noobs like me to follow.

My #1 question is: What happened to the group buy for you and Brennan's VQ mounts? I've got a link to it on Zilvia, but it says I don't have access to it. Is the thread locked and closed? It had some good referrence info in it.

I'm trying to verify if the VQ35DE mounts are different from the VQ30DET mounting hardware or not.

Question #2 is: Can you comment on why you chose to run a big single instead of twin turbos? I know that would add a little complexity, but wouldn't there be less modifying that you guys would have had to do to those manifolds?
#1 It looks like either the moderators removed it from zilvia, or Brennan moved it. There was something screwey going on with the thread, because it wouldn't allow him to post anyway. There seemed to be a lot of interest, but there werent a lot of serious people. You know how that goes.

I bet as soon everything is squared away with wiring it would be a different story. Unfortunately, most zilvia people want something they don't have to do a lot of work to get in their cars. Most don't want to figure anything out... but what people fail to understand is this isn't an SR swap

The mounting locationg for the VQ30det and VQ35 are slightly different. From what we have gathered the vq30det mounting holes on the block are about 1/2" off. I can get exact measurements later. But we found that out by exchaning mount kits from the shop car to my car. I can provide more information as we get there.

#2 The reason is simple. Less material = less cost. Two turbos means more stainless altogether. Modifying the manifolds was definitely necessary regardless of doing one or two turbos. The manifolds were the cheapest part of the setup. The exhaust actually is vbanded to the manifolds so doing a twin system could work down the line but a single GT35R, or Holset HX40 will do wonders. Our power goals aren't too out there (400 street and 600 peak) and its more practical mainly because of the running of the exhaust system. The space issue seemed to be the main determining factor though. Brennan is running a single scroll turbine side that I think is 0.80+/- a/r and I will be running a twin scroll 0.70 a/r turbonetics exhaust housing and seperating the exhaust paths since i'm 0.5L smaller and have 9.0:1 compression.

I tell you, it all stems down to doing the stuff in the back yard. If we were sponsored or one of us won the lottery it would be a lot different, lol. It would be done tomorrow, and answers would be avail.

ill_lh
Car: lh torana

hey mate, dont know if i am releveant as i live in australia..lol

but

i see ur vision, i bought a vq30det halfcut, 60k for 2 grand...

i too was unable to find concrete evidence what these motors are capable of etcso i took the plunge and thought stuff it....

so 2g later i own a vq low k halfie...i have put it in the rodeo, everything fits perfect, like it should, and let me tell u that the bay of my rodeo is freaking tiny!!!! i couldnt fit a rb20/25 so began searching for another engine i could use instead of the holden/buick v6 iron clunker...then i came across an all alloy dohc 24 valve sexy little fuel eater...lol

i am aware that aftermarket sucks, even here, i am aware im using an engine that seems in itself to be a grey area, but meh, im willing to give it ago,

i plan to run it stock for awhile on stock ecu just to get everything running like it should, already have front mount as i couldnt use the factory cooler, but hopefully a set of injectors, gt35/40 and tune etc will come in the not too distant future

anyways im rambling...lol

simmode1

Thanks, Ameen. That answered alot of my questions. Zilvia and NICO are pretty similar when into comes down to talk of this motor. Hell most 240 forums have the same hesitancy about it, unless the live in Austrailia, then they're all about this swap!

Your power goals are precisely what I envision as well for my eventual project. But I'm curious as to what info you may have that indicates the stock block can handle 600hp? The highest hp I've seen on a stock vq30det is 500hp.

Now certainly turbocharging isn't black magic. As long as you've got the proper amounts of fuel and air going into the motor, combined with good tuning, things should be just fine. But I was just curious as to if you had some more solid input of the strength of this motor...

Ill_lh, the support is appreciated! Good luck on your project! I hope this thread can be useful to you somehow... Come back and post pics!

Roach
Car: 89 Z31

Very innovative I really enjoyed reading the fresh thread with new ideas thanks everybody for contributing. As I have the dohc in my s13 I'm eyeballing different swaps as well. I'll keep watching this make sure to include some price tags

ill_lh
Car: lh torana

[img][/img][img][/img]

engine mounts should be done next week, chocked for now, but...ye...lol i have about 65 mm infront of the engine to rad support....eeek

Modified by ill_lh at 2:02 AM 9/8/2009

Modified by ill_lh at 2:07 AM 9/8/2009
Modified by ill_lh at 2:22 AM 9/8/2009

simmode1

I'm suddenly very grateful for the size of the s13/s14's engine bay...

That's going to be a tight fit. What is a Rodeo anyway? Is that an Isuzu Rodeo?

xxtokesxx

His picture is a good indicator why its impossible to fit this in a USDM 240sx w/o problems with the steering.

As far as my power goals... 600 crank is a goal, but that's a max goal. I have no real indications that 600 can or can't be held unopen block but its not far. But I don't think I will be running that on the street. I'm not much of a power freak, I think 400 will be enough for me.

Here is the hybrid holset I put together.

Here is the car in its winter spot as of yesterday.

adam922

Idk if you saw this or not, you probably did, but I did not see an link for it here.

http://www.engineswaptech.com/....aspx

Seems to be USDM and has a good 8 pages of info...

simmode1

adam922 wrote:Idk if you saw this or not, you probably did, but I did not see an link for it here.

http://www.engineswaptech.com/....aspx

Seems to be USDM and has a good 8 pages of info...
I posted that on the 1st page. It's the 3rd post in this thread. That car is Austrailian and RHD. Thanks for getting my hopes up!

J/K!

adam922

Wow, i feel like a huuge idiot. Well, this seems like an awesome alternative to and LS1, ans SM legal.That would be a good selling point for this motor, OEM Nissan.Legal in autocross so you can actually compete, without breaking the rules with a Frankenstien car.

simmode1

Don't sweat it, man!

Yeah, this swap has real merits... but to be perfectly honest, it has very real competition from the VQ35DE swaps. Those are gradually picking up more and more speed as ppl start to refine that swap. Whereas, to my knowlegde, Ameen might be the very first USDM car with a VQ30DET.

I would feel better about the possibilities of this motor's future if it could use the same mounts as the VQ35, but it seems that those are a little different too.We'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

EDIT: BTW... did you imply that this motor might be Smog legal? Is that what you meant by SM Legal? Because I have no indication at all that this will be a legal swap. This is for the guys that don't care about that stuff... Basically everybody outside of Cali...

Or maybe you meant 'Street Modified', as in the racing classification?
Modified by simmode1 at 7:34 PM 9/8/2009

adam922

Street Modified. I think i saw something in the rule book that an car can have any OEM engine. So any Nissan can have any Nissan engine. Right?An LS would keep you out of SM.

kanye240
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe'^2001 jeep grand cherokee

I'm asking my buddy if his shop can get me one next year . I'm defiantly looking more into this swap .

SilviaMike
Car: RHD Silvia

Damn havent heard someone mention VQ30DET in a while, I'm prolly one of the only people on here who have ever had or even seen a RWD VQ30DET haha here is my old car...

and yes pictures were taken here in the US

simmode1

VIP Sickness! It's sooo clean that I doubt you did a RHD Gloria conversion. I could be wrong, but is it imported? Got any power adders? What's it feel like to drive?

I'm considering getting a GS sometime soon too!

SilviaMike
Car: RHD Silvia

there isnt a US version of the Y33 cedric so a conversion wouldnt really be feasible so yes imported... and just HKS intake, full exhaust, K-sport coilover convserion, Work Eurolines, FMIC.

simmode1

Oh it's going down guys. Jhot just sold a VQ30DET to a guy local to me and he's putting it and a 350z spd tranny in a 260Z. Apparently, Jhot was testing the waters for these motors and they got snapped up hella quick.

Here's a few new pieces of info I've come across on this subject:-Nistune is compatible with this motor.-Stock injectors are 330cc, but are the same style as SR20DET & RB25DET injectors.-Uses the same tps, waterpump and pulleys as the A32 Maxima/Cefiro.-Seems like running the turbo in front of the motor is optimal placement for LHD S-Chassis.

370whp at 12psihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKJiBGItpM

rat_ranger
Car: 03 ford ranger, 71 datsun 240Z

Its me that grabbed the vq from Jhot. Its gonna get put into a 71 datsun 240Z. I found a place where I should be able to get a wiring diagram, its gonna cost around $150 but once I have it I can post a pinout for it. and itll let me figure out how to install a turbo timer and all.

the parts list for the swap so far isVq30DETz33 6speedJWT flywheelshort throw shifterbosch 044 fuel pumpFMIC

exhaust, injectors, nistune, and other parts wil have towait till I get to the US and actually start work

GoTRicEo0
Car: Slowest crap the earth have ever seen.

welcome to nico. Make a build thread once you start to build it.

simmode1

Thanks for taking the time and coming over to share some info, Ian. If you do decide to make a build thread here on NICO, there's a nice little 'Classic Z' forum that would love to have you aboard!

And Welcome to NICO!

rat_ranger
Car: 03 ford ranger, 71 datsun 240Z

Itll be atleast june before I start the build as I am in iraq till atleast then. The last big thing I gotta get is a clutch and I am looking at a spec twin disk for that. costs about the same as a good stage 3 or stage 3+ but with more torque holding capabilities.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”