Any VQ30DET experts around?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

My Cedric is a 1998, I don't have any info on the NEO engine, but I can see what I'll find.
It looks like I'll be throwing the VQ into an S14 Silvia, so I'm just trying to finalize the major parts I need. Once I can get the engine into it's new home I'll be safe from there. I might be worrying too much since I have a whole cedric to swap from, but can't be too safe can you?

Is there anyone/anyplace that sells VQ30DET specific swap mounts anymore? or should I just modify the mckinney ones?

I need to source a transmission, and there are so many different combinations people have done it seems there are overlapping explanations. I can flesh out some of what I've seen and I guess we can sort it out here. I'm partial to having the 6spd myself though...

350Z/G Transmission:
will work with VQ30DE(4th gen maxima) flywheel and 29mm Throw out bearing spacer
(Seems VQ20DE flywheel also works.)
or
350Z flywheel with 5speed/custom timing ring,vq35 clutch

300ZX trans:
needs adapter plate /auto bellhousing welded on

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Well, depending on what month your Cedric was built, you probably do have the Neo motor. They started in '98. It has 10 more hp and 14 more ft/lbs than the earlier motor. I'm just curious how they accomplisded this, which motor is more desireable, etc...

I'm really not sure about the mounts and tranny question. Might wanna contact xXTokesXx/Ameen about that or hit up VQ30DET.com. I think I remember 'Fast_Datsun' in the VQ board saying that they would start developing for the VQ30DET... He works for McKinney Motorsport, probably the foremost guys in pioneering any VQ swaps...

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

So I got a 350Z 6-speed, now I just have to get a VQ30DE flywheel, and the TOB spacer. (and of course a clutch n pilot bearing). The mounts n xmember are going to be custom, once the engine + trans are put together there will be progress. So, soon as things start moving again I'll start on my build thread. :whistle:

xljdmq45lx
Car: 98' Infiniti Q45t

How hard are these motors to come by? I have a 1998 Infiniti Q45t that I want to swap the VH41DE to the VQ30DET. To be honest, It should be a plug and play since the JDM models had these in them. I was looking around and the one that caught my attention was in Australia, had the whole motor for $1350, but I wonder if they can ship it to the U.S.A? Heres the link, who ever got this is LUCKY! That price is a steal!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =322469460

simmode1

Just find a reputable importer, tell them what cars the motor comes out of and have them keep and eye out for you. Might take 6 months or so since they aren't regularly brought over to the states like SR/RB/1JZ/etc... but they aren't impossible to get.

Just be sure to have your money ready so you won't waste the importer's time. Plus these motors go superfast when they go up for sale.

I have no idea about the Q45t swap though. Personally, I'd rather keep the V8, swap on a Z32 manual tranny and supercharge that, though. No replacement for displacement! :poke:

xljdmq45lx
Car: 98' Infiniti Q45t

Interesting point simmode1. Who makes superchargers for the V8 motor?

simmode1

I'm pretty sure it won't be an off the shelf affair, but it should still be easier than an engine swap like this and yield greater performance. You should ask around in the VH forum. Hopefully supercharging the VH41 won't too different than the VH45.

s13sickboi
Car: 1997 Nissan Hardbody XE

Found this thread posted in another thread from simmode and Man, I love the idea of a VQ in my 240. I've fallen in love with VQ's since I first drove my Mom's Maxima.

Maybe someday ill have the resources and the time to do this swap!

simmode1

Yeah, IMO, VQ is the way to go if you're striving for balance. Unfortunately, I've only seen discouragement at the idea of a VQ30DET in a USDM S-Chassis. Most importers never even heard of this engine. Odds of finding a good one after the big quake & tsunami in Japan? Not good.

At this point, I'm seriously considering using the FWD VQ35 with McKinney mounts. I fell in love with that motor after driving my ex's 3.5L Altima. With the Motordyne plenum spacer, Osirus Tune, the Mckinney headers and a good custom exhaust... I'm thinking that should get really close to 280whp in a 240.

With a short final drive gear, I think I should be more than happy with that. Can always bolt on a Vortech supercharger later...

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

There is a lot of power to be gained with real headers and collectors on a VQ (I think the same goes for VH45's and KA's as well due to their similar architecture).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2h0JTq2fk Yeah, that car is flat out nuts. Now hes in the 340-350whp range. Makes power EVERYWHERE. His orange roadster is making just over 300whp with an un opened VQ35HR. Just intake manifold mods and his headers and exhaust and tune. Stock cams. Its amazing.

His ziptied build thread : http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=15975.0 Lots of generic info but the point is theres lots of power to be had by SMART tuning, not just megan/dc/nismo/etc headers and that stuff. Exhaust tuning is the key.

I'm working on a maxima VQ30 setup. I want to do a package that can be done for less then an SR swap. With a KA trans. 350z exhaust manifolds are down to $25 ea on car-part.com, oil pans are under $75, starters are under $100 and thats the specialty parts you need.

With nistune I want to try for 220whp or more NA. Small holset and 400whp with too much torque is quite easy. :D

~Alex

simmode1

Lol! Rustspec, You were the one who suggested going with the VQ35 instead of a VQ30 a few pages back anyways! Haha! It's all good. I know what its like to go back & forth on this kinda decision & be on a limited budget! Well, whichever setup you settle in on, good luck with it, buddy! I really like your idea of a VQ30DE+T swap for cheaper than an SR. Don't forget to share your results with us! :dblthumb:

Thanks for the exhaust tuning info. That's definently the kind of stuff I'd be looking to do with a VQ35 before considering supercharging.

RustspecS13

Well, the VQ30 is by far easier to wire in. I might run my 35 on a 30 ecu just for fun. Its better then nothing.

But as of right now I have 2 30's and 1 35. One 30 is blown and unrepairable. Good mock up motor.

Plan right now is to adapt my extra KA trans to a VQ bolt pattern. I have a 350z oil pan from my 35, so im going to buy stock 350z exhaust manifolds and a starter. Use my stock maxima clutch and flywheel, and rock out with 50hp more then a KA with na simplicity. Ive already mocked it up. The flywheel clears with some grinding, and the spines are the same on the input shaft.

Then after that's done, I want to make this an option for swappers. This is my SR comparable swap package. I can get motors for $250 from upartit with everything i need for that part. Add in rwd oil pan, starter, exh manifold. Then add in bell housing mods, wiring and exhaust and its running.

I can start work on the fab work as soon as my RB20 sells. Any one interested?

~Alex

simmode1

I'm liking this idea more and more. Somebody buy his RB20! lol

RustspecS13

haha I was in a rush earlier. As far as adapting the ka trans to the VQ bolt pattern, Im going to use aluminum tubes that fit around the bolts snugly, and then weld in braces if they need it. No adaptor plate. No machining. Nice and simple. It'll be strong or I'll go back to the drawing board lol.

Then soon after that, I'll get a 6 speed and swap that in. I will see how much my friend will charge for the welding on the bellhousing and see if its a viable option for most people. Because after a certain $$ amount it just makes sense to go with a 6 speed in the first place. But Id like to make the KA trans an option, that way you don't have to mess with the drive shaft, speedo or transmission wiring. Id like to even be able to use AC and cruise as well. I don't need it but its nice.

Goal is I want to be able to have something solid to sell people. Not purely to make money but to give the middle finger to SR's and LSx's. Last ones a stretch but with a nice single turbo and some handy fab work I don't see that as too unrealistic.

Oh that reminds me of another reason why I want to use the VQ30DE. They are dirt cheap. I can go get a long block for $100-200 any time and throw it in my car that's already swapped. Like if I was running 600whp worth of boost and blew a hole in the block and wanted to try it again :D

~Alex

cedricvq30det
Car: 1996 Y33 NISSAN CEDRIC GRAND TURISMO VQ30DET

I have many problems with my VQ30DET Y33 CEDRIC.
My abs pump is making a screeching sound.
These following problems bellow started occurring after a jump start and the wrong car oil used in an oil change.
When I put my foot flat on the accelerator the car stutters and wont go faster.
The rev limiter is all over the place.
My front electric seat doesn't move forward and back anymore.
HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED THANKYOU :)

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 1855_o.jpg

Return to “240sx General Discussion”