Any VQ30DET experts around?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Mmm... Thats good stuff! You stay safe over there!

rat_ranger
Car: 03 ford ranger, 71 datsun 240Z

Lol, I am up in kurdistan right now. its about as dangerous as wandering around oklahoma. we drive around in suburbans, and toyotas with no body armor and unloaded weapons. Im just glad to be in a safe place with friendly people getting the combat pay to finance this project.

dre1507
Car: Some boring Lexus that's currently at home with a smashed mouth (crashed).

rat_ranger wrote: Lol, I am up in kurdistan right now. its about as dangerous as wandering around oklahoma. we drive around in suburbans, and toyotas with no body armor and unloaded weapons. Im just glad to be in a safe place with friendly people getting the combat pay to finance this project.
Glad that you're safe. Now hurry and get back to finish this project. I spent a couple minutes yesterday reading this entire thread. i REALLY want to see this project finished. If God preserves and i live to see another two years of life, i wanna start a build like this. hopefully by that time all info about this swap will be available with still the low prices im seeing so far on all the necessary components.

simmode1

^^^There's already quite a bit of info around... it's just all spread about! VQ30DET.com is the premier source, for sure though.

But just wait until the spring hits... I'm fairly certain Ameen will be hitting us up with progress on his USDM S14 vq30det swap. He was already pretty far along before he had to put the car away for the winter. I'm just wondering what the powerband is gonna look like with that bigass holset hx40...

dre1507

yea you're right there is quite a bit more info on the swap than i thought. im also watching ameen's build, and wondering if you'll also be starting one too. come spring?

simmode1

dre1507 wrote: wondering if you'll also be starting one too. come spring?
Pipedream, currently. It'll happen, but it's a ways off. I manage my money badly.

But thats one of my New Year's resolutions: make better use of my money to do the things I want to do. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to do this with my level of income and my tiny living expenses.

But don't hold your breath, though.

dre1507

the good thing is that you do plan to get it going eventually. im not gonna tell you to handle your money better, cause i currently have the same problem. and when you do start it make sure to picture to paragraph ratio is 10:1. lol.

rat_ranger

Well I will get plenty of pictures when I get back. I am still searching for a wiring diagram though, or even a pinout. with all the swaps done on vq30det.com you would think someone would have one or know where to get one.

simmode1

Have you seen this yet? I posted it on the first page:http://www.vq30det.com/phpBB3/...=1756

Not sure if it helps or not...

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

I wonder if the VQ30DET ECU that can control VTCs and cam timing can control my VQ35DE......all the while being nistune tuneable.

I don't think I'll get that lucky though but I need to look into it.

~Alex

hbpignosePA
Car: 90 240sx hatch (Jackstand Queen), 78 Datsun 280z (RIP), 89 cressida (Sold) 86 200sx hatch (sold) 83 280zx turbo (parts car)
90 volvo 240 (sold)
80 mx32 cressida (new daily)

sounds like a cool setup; i also get tired of the same old swaps

my only complaint would be the tightness of the bay

inline 6 motors are far easier to work on; and what i plan on going with. but im not quite ready to start yet

rat_ranger

I have seen that thread on vq30, but the big problem with that is only the ones in blue are verified. so there are alot of unknowns at this point. I guess I will be tracing wires and labeling stuff once I get home and start working. The company the guy got the quote from isnt known for reliability from what I could find.

Chingon

rat_ranger wrote: Its me that grabbed the vq from Jhot. Its gonna get put into a 71 datsun 240Z. I found a place where I should be able to get a wiring diagram, its gonna cost around $150 but once I have it I can post a pinout for it. and itll let me figure out how to install a turbo timer and all.

the parts list for the swap so far isVq30DETz33 6speedJWT flywheelshort throw shifterbosch 044 fuel pumpFMIC

exhaust, injectors, nistune, and other parts wil have towait till I get to the US and actually start work
simmode1 wrote:Oh it's going down guys. Jhot just sold a VQ30DET to a guy local to me and he's putting it and a 350z spd tranny in a 260Z. Apparently, Jhot was testing the waters for these motors and they got snapped up hella quick.

Here's a few new pieces of info I've come across on this subject:-Nistune is compatible with this motor.-Stock injectors are 330cc, but are the same style as SR20DET & RB25DET injectors.-Uses the same tps, waterpump and pulleys as the A32 Maxima/Cefiro.-Seems like running the turbo in front of the motor is optimal placement for LHD S-Chassis.

370whp at 12psihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKJiBGItpM
huh...you two are local? Interesting. I'm guessing you're in ft. bliss rat_ranger? Need some help, I may be available for some wrench time. Hit me up on the PM.

rat_ranger

Yep ft bliss. I wont be there until the end of this year though. over in iraq right now. The datun and engine are sitting in oklahoma at the moment but when I go to get my truck after this deployment the datsun will move to el paso and then in april 2011 to ft lewis.

simmode1

Chingon wrote:huh...you two are local? Interesting.
Well,,, not as local as I thought. since he bought the motor on DallasImports.net, I assumed he was in the DFW area... turns out he's actually from El Paso... 14 hours away. I was gonna offer a hand with the work until I realized that...

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

PhillyDaKid-S13 wrote:Sry bout completely raping your topic, dude, LMAO. I really would be all over just getting a vq30det, dont get me wrong. But from what I can tell, there isnt a demand for it over in the states, and as such, would have to be shipped from j-land, which means hella shipping....I just thought it might be better to stick with the motors we already have domestically (and plentiful, therefore CHEAP).
People still import "not popular" jdm engines to the states man, My friend got the roller rocker N/A b14 FWD SR20det for his nissan sentra. He just needed a replacement but happened to find the jdm motorset (not sure if it came w/ trans though) for 250 dollars + shipping.Runs amazing, quick little n/a imo.

So I'm sure you could find someone to import this engine for you, but there aren't any cars currently here that have use for them.It would probably be quite cheap seeing demand is very low.

Props to Simmode for calling attention to this subject IMO if I were thinking about a vq35de swap and could come across a vq30det instead, I'd definitely choose the 3l turbo version

rat_ranger

I picked up the motor for $900. I was looking for a while before Jhot brought the one in. I got it without trans but I picked up a 350Z 6 speed for 300 to mate up to it. IMO with being built for turbo, not having to deal with NATS and being able to use parts you can get from autozone make it a better motor than the rb26 and the vq35. Once wiring gets cheaper to get around nats the vq35 wouldnt be bad, but the RB with how much parts cost and the cost of one to start with just is not worth it to me.

Yep, El paso, its only about 10hrs from ft worth, but its about that far from everything known to man.

simmode1

$1200 for a 3.0L turbo motor and a 6spd tranny. God. Damn.

rat_ranger

Yep, and depending on how you shop around you can get 400hp out of it with minor mods and tuning for probably less than 1k. Nistune with cables around 500, injectors depending on where you get them 2-700, and a boost controller 100+ depending on the kind you get.

I got a turbonetics t04E 50 trim with .60a/r, stage 5 compressor wheel, for $400 to go with it as well. Shop around and you can get good deals.

simmode1

Now... for us S-Chassis guys, our steering components are in the way of the exhaust manifold, basically forcing us to fab up a new manifold. Is your Z the same way? If so, how will you be routing your manifold?

rat_ranger

My plan is to use a set of maxima headers and have the Y-pipe redone to put the turbo on the passenger side of the motor and use header wrap or something simlar to keep the heat in. Basically hve the pipe coming off the passenger side do a 180 and point up, and the drivers side come under the motor and up to the passenger side with the turbo flange at the merge.

Then I can run the pipe from the turbo forward to the intercooler and have the pipe come off the intercooler on the driver side and run right back to the throttle body. helping make he piping shorter as well.

rat_ranger

Just an FYI to everyone. I had to sell the datsun so the vq30det is up for sale. no shipping and pick up only. it is in oklahoma city. asking $2200 for everything, synchronic wastegate, vq30 headers, HKS SSQV BOV, complete engine, vq 6speed trans, JWT flywheel, intercooler, short throw shifter. email if you want to see, engine has not been unwrapped since bought. also have a never installed turbonetics t04e stage 5 50trim big shaft journal bearing for $500. [email protected]

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

So I just started working at a fabrication shop. My boss (who is a great friend of mine and I've known for about 7 years) convinced me to bring my vq35 in and we'll start making stuff for it.

He has a NA 3 rotor 20B powered FD, and it made 320whp in very bad shape couple years ago and now it should be making 390-400whp NA, at about 10K rpm. I'm in good company now!

So I'm going to look for some sport bike ITB's and bigger then stock 350z injectors and I'm going to call haltech about their stand alone and see what I have to do use it in my s13.

My goal is 300whp, and not bumping the compression that much. I want to boost it and go for 450whp later, if im not having too much fun na.

~Alex

simmode1

*Sigh* I need moneys... :frown:
http://mattfresh.wordpress.com/2010/04/ ... 15-silvia/

Oh god, just listen to it...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo4AIfBOUvI[/youtube]

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

I'm looking right now into doing the VQ30DET swap into an S-chassis (It'll be RHD though). My Cedric got mashed in January this year, and the opportunity arises, I can either get a 180SX or Zenki S14 Silvia shell to throw the motor into. Of course, I'm doing my research and price checking so I can have the most cost affordable swap possible. Still trying to get the cash owed to me by the guy who hit my car (I know, it's MAD right?).

but yeah, I'll be doing a full write up once I pull the trigger on the project, so that'll be another one to add to the list once it gets there. I'm trying to figure out if it's easier just to buy a mount kit or modify the S and Y chassis xmembers to make it work... The VQ35 mounts in the kit need to be modified to accommodate for that 1/2" difference or no?

But really, since I just have the car sitting in my driveway I guess I can answer some questions ppl have about the engine. though, I don't have a lift and stand yet, so I can't go doing all the internal measurements.

simmode1

From what I gather from Ameen's mounting of his VQ30DET into his S14, yes, the VQ35 mounts are only a little off. Shouldn't be too hard to get them corrected.

A write up would certainly be appreciated, even if it is for RHD. None of the Down Under builds I have seen use a 350Z tranny, so some intel there would be helpful. And as I see more and more VQ30DET's in S-Chassis, it seems like mounting the turbo in front of the motor really is the optimal place. I'm really in love with Siluty's side mounted turbo + V mount intercooler, but his is the only car that I've seen do that even among the RHD cars. So I believe the major points of the swap would overlap between RHD and LHD if you used the front mounted turbo route. If you do, thats more info for the rest of us!

BTW, I have a question for you: what year was your Cedric? I'm trying to get a better grasp on the differences between the VQ30DET and the VQ30DET Neo other than the power/torque increase. Got any info?

Metal Angel
Car: 1990 240sx hatchback

Wow... I would seriously consider this if there were some kits to make the install easier. Even if there were some manifold flange kits. I don't mind doing some cutting and welding but I just wouldn't want it to be leaky from having an ill fitting flange. That s15 looks really natural with a v6 turbo in it. And that front mount turbo looks great. I'm gonna keep this on my list of possible swaps.

simmode1, you are always yammering on about VQs and I think I finally understand why. This looks like a way better option than RBs... Aside from the fact that RBs will always sound better.

simmode1

Metal Angel wrote:This looks like a way better option than RBs... Aside from the fact that RBs will always sound better.
Hmmm... aural gratification versus weight distribution. Tough call. :rolleyes:

Just playing with ya, man! RB's are great and have alot of pro's in their favor, like swap kits, for example. A VQ30DET swap is gonna be a labor of love for just about anybody doing it. You gotta try your best to plan wisely, but it's hard to accurately tell how much you're gonna end up spending to do it right. I think ya just gotta be determined to keep spending time and money until it gets done! Such is the path of the pioneers.

But I've talked to some quality manifold fabricators in my area to get quotes on building me a front mounted setup like this. Most of them say about a grand. That's fine by me. Thats about what AMS was charging for their old badass KA-T manifolds. I have even tried reaching Maytech in Austrailia to see if they market the front mount kit used on their car:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKJiBGItpM[/youtube]
No response by email yet. Not sure if that garage is even still open. But I sent a message asking about MAytech and their manifold to the VQ30DET.com page on Youtube. Still waiting on a response there too. If I don't hear back soon, I go hit up Butters at VQ30DET.com and ask him.

Metal Angel
Car: 1990 240sx hatchback

so with the front mount trubo... do you just remove the fan clutch and run e-fans?

simmode1

Yeah, you'd kinda have to. But I'd do that even if the front mount wasn't needed. I'm not a fan of clutch... um... fans.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”