Any VQ30DET experts around?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
PhillyDaKid-S13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx XE coupe, sold...(sniff)....1991 240sx fastback project, YEZZIR!!!

Found em.

Now mind you, this is the vq30 to 35 swaps specifically for the maximas, but I was looking at them for the timing equipment explanation (RustedSpec you were correct on the timing equipment and NOT the entire head, sry bout that.) Also, one shows you how to make the 01-02 Pathfinder cable driven throttle body work, as well as modifying the DBW throttle for cable, which is good info. and, for the cam spacing issue, there are members on the maxima forums (their names are listed in the writeups) that can do this for you for a fee, for all those who dont think theyre that inclined and afraid of screwing up their cams.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/arti...id=78

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/arti...id=82

PhillyDaKid-S13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx XE coupe, sold...(sniff)....1991 240sx fastback project, YEZZIR!!!

now my only other question is, since you would effectively be using a maxima ecu (or a standalone like megasquirt etc), this SHOULD negate the NATS/BCU security issue, as those systems are routed into the ecu, correct?

gregfarz78
Car: 04 Honda S2000
97 Nissan Hardbody King Cab 4x4
09 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5L

I would think so yes b/c the older maximas didn't have nats.

I guess my only question is with vq35 block and vq30 heads how much power is lost? Now I am seriously considering keeping the vq35 block and maybe even getting some aftermarket vq30 heads and cams. The wiring would be a hell of a lot easier

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

This thread has really diverted from the original purpose. But good info is being added, so I'm not trippin...

Carry on, guys...

In the meanwhile, I found a post with an OEM piston part #...
themadscientist wrote:VQ30DET piston. part # A2010-4P261drops right in, flat top with heat coating on the crown and dryfilm coating on the skirts. I will post pics when I get a chance.
...From the thread: zerothread?id=127315

I talked to a guy stationed in Japan about the aftermarket for VQ30DET's and I was pretty amped after hearing his impressions on the VQ30DET after he test drove a Cedric. Though the car was heavy, it was still really fast, even compared to his S15.

He assured me that there certainly is an aftermarket for this motor, but it helps to be able to read Japanese of course. But I got to looking around and found Jun's english website.

http://www.junauto.co.jp/index-e.html

It doesn't list any parts for the VQ30DET, but I bet a few calls and some cash will get you whatever you need. Aftermarket problem = Solved.

And for all this frankenstien block & head swapping talk... oi oi oi... Just going with the VQ30DET sounds sooo much easier and more powerful in both the short and long run. There's just less stuff you need to mess with. Just do the normal stuff you need to do in order to install a VQ and wire it up without any NATS nightmares. Done. Less headscratchin', wtf moments and with full power.
Modified by simmode1 at 8:15 PM 6/7/2009

PhillyDaKid-S13

Sry bout completely raping your topic, dude, LMAO. I really would be all over just getting a vq30det, dont get me wrong. But from what I can tell, there isnt a demand for it over in the states, and as such, would have to be shipped from j-land, which means hella shipping....I just thought it might be better to stick with the motors we already have domestically (and plentiful, therefore CHEAP).

simmode1

You might think that, but importing a VQ30DET would be no different than importing an SR or RB. Actually cheaper since you can source the tranny here.

I don't know if you're up to date on SinisterSntra91's insane VQ35DE s14 build over on Zilvia, but even he said, if he had it to do all over again, he would have gone with the VQ30DET. The only reason he didn't is because he didn't know about the motor until he was knee deep in with the VQ35...
SinisterSntra91;2848009 wrote:

If I had to do it all again, I would have found a VQ30DET, with a 350z 6spd, maxima wiring harness and either a reproggramed JWT maximaecu or run the stock Y33 VQ30DET ecu. That is the setup I am helping my buddy with along with building my car. That method would have been the easiest to me, but I was already balls deep into my method with too much money invested to change methods so I am finishing what I started.

PhillyDaKid-S13

Yea, but who is selling vq30dets? ive been trolling the sites of our normal importers, and havent seen it at all.....any ideas?

simmode1

I'm just gonna contact a reputable importer, like Jhot, since they're local to me. And I'll ask them to get me one on their next shipment.

Yeah, you might have to wait a little while since they aren't stocked like SR's or RB's yet... but think of all the quality low mileage motors you'll have available! Low mileage SR's are almost impossible to find these days.

You might find some low mileage RB's, but this motor will be cheaper, lighter, have comparable performance (or better) and an available 6 spd tranny.

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

The main thing I'm worried about is I want nistune on it if I use the stock ecu, or another good way to tune the stock ecu. IE I don't want to go through all that trouble of using the stock ecu and figuring out the wiring only to find out I need to throw it away to tune it.

Because if there isn't then Id just megasquirt a VQ30DE or 35DE and call it done. And at best put it some OEM 30DET pistons in the 3L.

Yes the VQ30DET is a great option stock. But who keeps theirs stock?

~Alex

gregfarz78

What are the major difference between the USDM VQ30DE and the VQ30DET? I'm thinking it would just be easier and much cheaper to buy a VQ30DE and do a light build for boost.

simmode1

gregfarz78 wrote:What are the major difference between the USDM VQ30DE and the VQ30DET? I'm thinking it would just be easier and much cheaper to buy a VQ30DE and do a light build for boost.
The DET head flows better than the DE, unless you have the DE-K. And of course, the intake manifold & oil pan are different, stronger rods/ pistons, oil squirters to cool the pistons and more aggressive cams. There could be more, but thats all I know for sure.

Basically, it's like comparing an SR20DET to a KA24DE.
RustspecS13 wrote:The main thing I'm worried about is I want nistune on it if I use the stock ecu, or another good way to tune the stock ecu. IE I don't want to go through all that trouble of using the stock ecu and figuring out the wiring only to find out I need to throw it away to tune it.

Because if there isn't then Id just megasquirt a VQ30DE or 35DE and call it done. And at best put it some OEM 30DET pistons in the 3L.

Yes the VQ30DET is a great option stock. But who keeps theirs stock?

~Alex
Gonna be honest here... I don't know alot about tuning. But some ppl seem to think using the VQ30DE wiring harness and ecu will get the job done. If you can use those tuning programs for the US VQ30DE ecu, it seems to reason that the same method can tune the DET. Especially since the motor isn't doing anything fancy, like controlling NATS or VTC and whatnot. the DET doesn't have that stuff.

But I need to be clear: I am in no way an expert on this subject or this motor. I'm just taking input from ppl more knowledgeable than myself and drawing my own conclusions...

s14tan
Car: 95 ZenKi SE w/ S14 SR GT28r and bolt ons

Lol, Dude you're still thinking about doing this? We Talked in the Mall parking lot for like 3 hours lmao.

Hurry and buy my 5 Lug please. I need money for a tune!

gregfarz78

Can you use usdm vq30 accessories on the vq30det? That would be my main concern being able to easily buy parts over the counter, thats one reason I was hesitant for going RB

simmode1

s14tan wrote:Lol, Dude you're still thinking about doing this? We Talked in the Mall parking lot for like 3 hours lmao.

Hurry and buy my 5 Lug please. I need money for a tune!
Oi oi oi! Everybody wants money from me! They are priority #2 right now for me... I'm buying s14 kouki skirts for the same price this week... If that deal falls apart, I'll get the 5 lug... If you gotta sell them to somebody else, I understand...
gregfarz78 wrote:Can you use usdm vq30 accessories on the vq30det? That would be my main concern being able to easily buy parts over the counter, thats one reason I was hesitant for going RB
I remember vaguely reading something like that over at VQ30DET.com... I can't remember details, though...

Orphan
Car: UZZ31 Soarer

Here is a Q does anyone know if Nistune can disable NATS on the ECU? Maybe even if it means sending them a VQ30DET ECU to make up a new preset for it as Nistune from what I have seen is able to alter every factory control on the ECU which to me means it should be able to disable NATS if it knows how to, should be as simple as a little untick of a box or removing an extra board.

simmode1

^^^Just to clarify... The VQ35DE has NATS. The VQ30DE(T) does not. What you propose has already been done, with the N/A VQ30 ecu. But if it were that easy, I wouldn't be interested in the VQ30DET. Yes, it can disable NATS, but that's not the problem.

The problem is: how do you disable NATS and still retain the VQ35DE's VTC? The VQ30's don't have VTC, so their ecu's can't control that system on a VQ35. As a result, you will lose anywhere from 20-40hp. This idea could mean the difference between having a 280hp+ engine or having a ~240hp engine.

That's why I'm looking into the VQ30DET. It's just a more simple motor. It's easier to get working up to it's stock specs and has dynamic upgrade potential. But once someone truly figures out the best answer to this problem, the VQ30 will lose it's biggest advantage over the VQ35: simplicity.

We have yet to confirm whether Nistune can tune a VQ30DET ecu yet though. However, JWT probably can.

BTW... I loooove Soarers! I'm still considering selling my Zenki for an SC400. To break this down in Toyota terms... this issue is kinda like how most North American JZZ30 owners prefer swapping in earlier 1J twin turbos instead of the later 1J single turbo. Most get hung up over the wiring and how to control the VVTI.
Modified by simmode1 at 10:58 AM 6/15/2009

RedDragun
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe, 1990 2x4 Hardbody

I am having the hardest time finding a front clip from a Cima/Cedric...

simmode1

I talked to Jhotimports.com just last week and they had some Y33's in recently. Talk to them. Plus they are really looking into this swap to see if there is a market for it.

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

So whats the word on parts compatability.

I can say with 90% certanty that all the parts on the head are compatable with usdm 3L stuff. Don't spread the roumour that the DET heads flow better, Im not 100% on that.

The bottom end is all the same, as far as the bearings go and alot of the gaskets.

The only differences I can think of are the oil pan (same as 350z?) the piston oil squirters, the pistons are tougher, and maybe the headgasket is different. Also of course the intake manifold and injectors are different.

Thats looking like a pretty attractive option right now. My RB is PITA to get gaskets right now. Plus more displacement...hmm.

~Alex

simmode1

RustspecS13 wrote:So whats the word on parts compatability.

~Alex
I dunno. I got burnt out of looking into it until recently, to be honest...

But since ppl are starting to talking about it again, I just found this today:http://www.vq30det.com/phpBB3/...=1773

It makes me want to cry tears of joy ... Finally! A USDM VQ30DET swap thread! These guys are on Zilvia, too. And from judging the caliber of their previous projects, I'm very hopeful that this project with reach completion and be a great source of information. So read up guys!

S14Juggalo
Car: 95 240sx (S14)

VQ30DET's suck^^^^^!!!! Hahahahaha im just yanking your chain man! Whats the vq30det out of exactly and what years? Your making me want one you arsh hole!

simmode1

All that info is on the first page. It comes in RWD JDM sedans like the Cedric, Gloria and the Cima. It ran from 1995 -2005. I'd go with one from 1995-2001 though. The later ones got more powerful, but also more advanced and complicated with varible valve timing and stuff. I'd rather not deal with that. Keep it simple.

Importers don't have it just laying around for sale since it's not popular yet. So you'll have to order it and wait a little while. But I've already talked to Jhot and they comfirmed that they can get them. And the price will be nice too, since we don't need the JDM transmission. Just buy a 350Z or G35 tranny off ebay. Or if you prefer 5spd, you can use a 300ZX tranny with an adapter.

S14Juggalo

i like the vvl tho its a nice little boost of torque and hp out of nowhere. Hmmmm how much they run? and if i have to have a adapter i might as well just go for the 6 speed tranny less bolts and work.

simmode1

I have seen VQ30DET's with everything needed for the swap except the transmission on sale for around $1000-$1200. I think 350Z tranny's run about $600.

Keep an eye on that build thread I posted of the USDM s14. I'm sure he'll post a total price for his project at some point. But the swap seems pretty straightforward so far. They have a crew of at least 3 friends in the same city, all doing USDM S14 VQ swaps. One with VQ30DET, one with VQ35DE+TT and I think the other one is supercharging his VQ35.

S14Juggalo

[QUOTE=simmode1]I have seen VQ30DET's with everything needed for the swap except the transmission on sale for around $1000-$1200. I think 350Z tranny's run about $600.

^^^ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!

simmode1

S14Juggalo wrote:^^^ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!
Yeah... There no demand for these motors yet, so the prices are still low from what I've seen.

S14Juggalo

Holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Where can we get said swappage parts?

simmode1

I have a link to a Zilvia group buy for the swap kit, but for some reason the link isn't working...

I know there's a few ppl that are selling kits with good quality. I'll look for them and get back to you.

Edit: Here's a mount kit for the RWD variant of the VQ35DE. It's block and mounting points are the same as the VQ30DET.

http://www.mckinneymotorsports...+swap

But this is not the kit I had in mind. I'm still looking for that one again. I'm also waiting to pull the trigger on this swap until all info has been exhausted on the subject. I want this thing to be so easy when I start, that a trained monkey could do it... And IMO, it's not there yet. But it's getting close. I'd say... by the end of the year, The 240sx/VQ swap will probably be streamlined and perfected. I'm hoping...
Modified by simmode1 at 1:16 AM 8/23/2009

S14Juggalo

Alright kool! You are one determined mug to go through alot of stuff to find out what the deal is with the vq30det

tEknoS13
Car: 93' Type X

Holy donkey balls!!! That turbo setup is crazy

Return to “240sx General Discussion”