Supplemental Maintenance? Confused

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Legend11
Car: My Car: 2001.0 Infiniti QX4
Dad's Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

:confused:
I have reviewed the FSM for the 2001.0 QX4 and it makes no mention of flushing the transmission/diferrentials/transfer case, (only inspect) etc... It also doesn't mention replacing PCV valve, thermostat, water control valve, fuel filter (no set mileage/time; just "when needed" etc... This forum recommends replacing this stuff from time to time. Is there a maintenance guide anywhere for enthusiasts? I'm a little confused on what parts I should replace regularly

Also, a guide showing "recommended" parts to replace would be extremely helpful. For example, on the thread-locker DIY, it should clearly state what you should replace since you have everything off (PCV Valve, Spark Plugs, water control valve, hoses, etc...). Same for various other projects...

I'm having a hard time drawing the line on what I should/shouldn't replace.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Yeah, the FSM is sadly light on the details :chuckle: Here's the maintenance schedule I employ:

Every 3,000 miles or 3 months:
Repack the front hubs and wheel bearings (If driven frequently through deep water)

Every 6,000 miles or 6 months:
Rotate the tires

Every 15,000 miles or 12 months:
Lubricate the chassis (anything with a zerk fitting)

Every 30,000 miles or 24 months:
Change the brake fluid (DOT3, DOT4, or DOT5.1)
Replace the cabin air filter
Replace the spark plugs (3.3L)
Replace the air filter (or more frequently if dirty)
Replace the fuel filter
Drain, flush and refill the cooling system (thermostat(s) is recommended as well)
Replace radiator cap
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter
Inspect and repack the front hubs and wheel bearings (and free-running hubs on 4WD)
Replace the PCV valve
If noisy, check and adjust the valve clearances

Every 60,000 miles or 48 months:
Replace spark plug wires and cap (3.3L)
Change manual transmission lubricant
Change transfer case fluid
Change differential fluid

Every 100,000 miles or 60 months:
Replace the spark plugs
Replace the timing belt (3.3L)

It's recommended that the automatic transmission fluid/filter and differential fluids be changed at half this interval if frequently driven in 90°+ heavy traffic, hills or mountains, towing, or though deep water.

You should be also be periodically inspecting the level and quality of each of these fluids as well as the belts, tires, battery, hoses, exhaust, brakes, and EGR system.

Fluid recommendations:
what-fluids-and-filters-do-you-use-main ... 58213.html
Fluid/part recommendations and general maintenance topics:
pathfinder-qx4-general-information-and-q-a-t549378.html

If I didn't link to a discussion or howto, we don't have one yet. If you can't find a suitable guide for a given procedure here or elsewhere on the interwebs, I highly recommend investing in the Chilton guide. As for parts...there's so many! If you can't find any good recommendations in the guides, there's plenty of opinions here for the asking :biggrin:

Schedule was heavily borrowed from the Chilton guide.

Cheers and good luck! :cheers:

Legend11
Car: My Car: 2001.0 Infiniti QX4
Dad's Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

This is perfect, thank you. My truck has 127,000 miles on it with no maintenance records. Treating it like nothing has been done and following this guide going forward. Figure do all PM, then fix things immediately when they break and truck should be good

mvmcali
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

@atraudes. thanks for all the good info you post. I just had the shop replace my front wheel bearings for the 2nd time (now at 150k miles, first time in 2010 at 90k miles). I see you suggest repacking the bearings every 3k miles if driving in water. thats sounds like a lot.. how about if we dont drive in deep water :)

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

mvmcali wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:20 pm
I see you suggest repacking the bearings every 3k miles if driving in water. thats sounds like a lot.. how about if we dont drive in deep water :)
30k miles/24mo is the recommended maintenance schedule for repacking front hubs and wheel bearings. 3k miles/3mo is only recommended if frequently driven through deep water.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:06 am
30k miles/24mo is the recommended maintenance schedule for repacking front hubs and wheel bearings. 3k miles/3mo is only recommended if frequently driven through deep water.
Give me a long enough snorkel......

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”