Stolen Parts Off 2018 Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
orchidbetty
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi,
I'm a fan and I just purchased my 6th Nissan vehicle after retiring my base model 2008 Nissan Sentra with 200K. I bought a 2018 Rogue, SV. Its been an adjustment getting use to all the new gadgets (push start, backup camera, lane detection etc) but I'm loving it and I want this one to last me 10 years too.

Anyhow, I bought the Rogue used & as-is. I have 30K on the vehicle and I am trying to find everything "wrong" with it in the next 6K miles for warranty purposes. I noticed that the gas lid doesn't pop open when you push the button. The dealership stated that it will cost me $495.27 + tax to have it fixed. They stated that it is not under warranty because the part is completely missing. Therefore, they do not have anything to return to Nissan for the warranty reimbursement. So I have to pay for this if I want it fixed.

The part number they gave me is "78850-AR00A, Fuel lid, actuator assy fuel lid opener, gas door latch solenoid" (All 3 descriptions are on my RO).

Is this possible? Could it have fallen off? Could someone have taken it? Is it inside a panel somewhere?

I hate to look at the Dealership suspciously but they quoted me $74.95 plus tax to replace the cabin air filter. (and $795 + tax for a 30K service -- oil change, coolant exchange, rear diff fluid, tran fluid and drive belt). I haven't done any research into the 30K but I know it took me $10 and 2 mins to replace the cabin air filter.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

It does seem odd to me that the part in question is missing. Could that particular part have just fallen off? Unlikely. There are two likely reason for it's absence. One is that it was never installed (again unlikely), or that at some point it failed and the previous owner removed it. Take your car to a reputable independent shop to verify what the dealership said.

There's a reason why dealerships received the nickname stealerships. As far as having ANY type of work done, you only take your car to them for warranty stuff. Period. Find a reputable independent shop and have them do any work that you cannot do yourself. The cabin and breather filters can be changed by you, and there's posts here that describe how to do this.

As for the missing part, it retails new for between $162 and $242 USD. I did a quick search on eBay and found similar used models for $30 or less, but not that exact part. A number of junk yards use eBay to part out vehicles, and will have their contact info listed to help you source the part that you need. You can usually have a local shop do the repair work for a lot less than what the dealership will charge you.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

RUN, do not walk....RUN as far away from that dealer as possible.
Some dealerships have great sales staff, but their service dept stinks. Some are other way around. Some are just plain awful all the way around, and a select few are actually decent all around.

The cabin air filter is actually a bit trickier than changing out rear diff and/or transfer case fluid(NOT the CVT transmission fluid). At least for me it was. I have a difficult time contorting myself into position to do that job. So if you have already tackled that one, I would definitely not spend money paying a dealer to do the other stuff. Your serpentine belt and coolant should not need changed for quite a while.

The CVT transmission fluid maintenance (drain/fill or flush) is an entirely different conversation from all the other maintenance.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

+1 to what was said above.
If you can do an oil/filter change you can do the diff/transfer case fluid change.
I just completed it on our Rogue. Took about 1.5 hours and that was me taking my time.

There is a DIY maintenance guide in the stickies at the top of the forum which help.

The differential is probably easier than an oil change. You just need to get a small hand pump that attaches to the new fluid bottles and pump in the fluid making sure the car is level. The transfer case is a little more difficult in that you have to remove the passenger side wheel and need a long(24")socket extension to reach the fill plug.

orchidbetty
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to respond. I already changed out the engine and cabin air filter. I'm short so this is probably the only time my height was an advantage!

This CVT thing is brand new to me. I read through the owners manual and it sounds like it's a wannabe stick shift transmission. I havent played with it yet.

Yeah, this dealership is literally the only Nissan dealership on island. I cant upset them since I need to have a second intelligent key fob made ($400!) And i understand that they are the only ones who Can program them.

I called a few pick ,n pull places but their prices for the part was too high to payout of pocket. The gas lid popper isnt worth a couple of hundred $ to me - hopefully when the car gets older, there will be more parts available. Meanwhile I'll pry it open to put gas in the car.

Oh, the owners manual said NOT to use fuel injector cleaner. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

NISSAN XTRONIC CVT EXPLAINED

A few threads on fuel injector cleaners:
Fuel injectors cleaning- Rogue 2008
fuel injector cleaner **do not use**
fuel injector cleaner... damage to injectors?

Despite the title that the following focuses on the 1st gens, a lot of the info will apply to your car as well.
08-13 ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc

BTW, we have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum.
--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

My attitude is too never put fuel injector cleaners in my new Rogue.

But several years later (9-10 yrs) it did help me get rid of a check engine light pertaining to a lean bank code. It was a desperate attempt to avoid having to go to the stealership. :bigfu:

Not only that, it brought back my missing orange last bar on my fuel display after missing for ALL the first 9 years when new. Thank god I didn’t get it torn apart for warranty work like other people here; and some more than twice. And still not guaranteed to fix issue. I just accepted it instead of the solution creating more problems.

But why need fuel injector cleaners then? Which probably would have fixed my missing orange bar while new.

All I know it did help my fuel system 10 years later.
My take is, we stuck with crappy gas with corn crap in it.
Fuel tanks at gas stations probably have a lot of sediments.

Eventually fuel injecting cleaning will be needed, but the method and when you need it is your choice. :werd:

Best ones have high p.e.a. And only certain ones will work for your situation such as it did with me.

Return to “Rogue Forum”