CVT Transmission Issues. (Fail safe, Whining, Temps, & FIX!)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rmuth25
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5s CVT [Premium & Tech Packages]

It's been quite a while since I posted on nicoclub....but I figured my experience is worth sharing.

I drive a 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S with CVT. I had little issues with the car (or the transmission) up until about 2 weeks ago, at 127k miles. Juusssst outside of the warranty range for the CVT.

Here is what happened, on a trip to NYC (about 100 miles) about halfway through my car was going into the fail safe mode. I had no other symptoms that I noticed...definitely no check engine light but it might have been whining but I just didn't realize it. The fail safe is where the transmission is getting too hot, so the car does not accelerate what-so-ever. This issue continued on the trip back and the next couple days. I did some research online and was convinced that installing a transmission cooler would help. Also the transmission NEVER slipped, as in the engine revved up but the car did not move aka the classic transmission is failing symptom.

So I took it to the dealership. 2 hours later they call me and say they noticed the issue right away and the check engine light is on and its throwing out some codes. P0725 - Engine Speed Signal, P0476 - Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range/Performance, P0868 - Secondary Pressure Down. They told me because of this the transmission is shot and I need a new one asap. All at the super low cost of $3700 + tax. I tentatively told them okay go ahead and replace, but the more I thought about it I felt a transmission cooler could fix the issue.

So I quick called them back, told them I'm going to take it to my mechanic in install the cooler. Boy did I get a sales pitch!!! Doom and gloom will fall upon me if I don't give them $4 grand for a new transmission. A transmission that only comes with a 12000 mile warranty! I told them politely no thanks but I'd rather gamble $300 on the cooler before I shell out $4k.

My mechanic installed the cooler and did a full transmission fluid flush. Total was about $500 due to the crazy price of the NS-2 Tranny fluid. He also had to replace a speed sensor which was the cause of my check engine light (conspiracy theorist in me thinks the dealer put a bad sensor in...)That was about 3 days ago / 150 miles. So far no issues. I've taken it on rigorous test drives that before having the cooler installed would have put me into fail safe mode.

I still think my transmission is probably on the road to failing. But I'm hoping installing the cooler will get me 20k more miles until it does...

So tl/dr....If the dealer tells you the tranny is shot due to the car whining or going into fail safe mode, it might not be all doom a gloom, try to install a trans cooler to see if that fixes the issue or at least buys you some time to save up some $$$$ for the tranny.

Chivirrin
Car: Nissan rouge Krom 2010

I have a rouge krom do u need to flush the cvt or can i change the fluid my self has any done this

FantomLightning
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select AWD w/ Convenience Package.
Graphite Blue

Arikannm, I'm glad you've gotten your problem solved. I can guarantee your Rogue doesn't have the additional cooler on it unless the one of the previous dealers had it installed. The only Rogues that had the cooler from the factory were made from 2008 to 2009 and were loaded AWD models. You can do a simple visual inspection to determine if that is the case for your car. oil-cooler-leaking-t594826.html This post shows pictures in the fourth post of where the cooler is located in the vehicle and what it looks like, but chances are your Rogue doesn't have it.

arikannm
Car: 2012 Nissan Rouge S

Yes, I found this to be true when the dealer called mid-afternoon on Friday and said, after further research surrounding the external cooler I was asking about, it seems that replacing the Val-body was not the needed action. I actually need to have the transmission replaced.
Apparently there was a separate service bulletin surrounding the CVT fluid rating. The breakdown of my fluid was with I. The scope of the service bulletin and with the other issues, it calls for transmission replacement.

FantomLightning
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select AWD w/ Convenience Package.
Graphite Blue

Arikannm, sorry to hear that. Just as a piece of advice, unless the warranty you have will cover most if not all of the transmission cost try the fluid change/flush first. Many members around here have had dealers tell them the transmission needs replacement, only to find that new fluid has restored performance and kept the transmission running for long periods of time after. If it does cover, get the new transmission and a cooler straight away. Then with the regular servicing your Rogue should be with you for many trouble free miles to come.

arikannm
Car: 2012 Nissan Rouge S

The warranty covers the rebuilt tranny. My only out of pocket is $100. Considering what it could've been, I'm very relieved. It's more cost effective to do the tranny replacement than an fluid change by over $100.
I appreciate the advice. Fingers crossed, there are not issues with the replacement. If there is, please let it happen in the next 20k miles, cause that's when my warranty expires.

areoblackdog
Car: 2012 Nissan Teana 250xv v6

hi everybody, I am just new here...I been reading this thread and considering that u may can help with my cvt problem i got, i so decided to register. Thanks in advance to accept my request and for any further consideration. I just purchased a second hand Nissan Teana 250xv v6 here in Thailand, odo 134.000km at the time i bought it 3 months ago...now 148.000. After few days of my new driving i notice that whining sound from the trans on hot engine condition, promptly drove it in to a Nissan dealer to check and they drain and fill cvt fluid. I been told that it might helps but in any case the problem its was because a overheating fluid due to hot weather in Thailand. If it will happen again I should have consider to mount a fluid cooler next to solve the issue. Well, after cvt fluid service the car been run very fine at first. Even consider that the whining noise never comes up again, after a 2000km i start to notice a kind of slippage instead. Thats mainly between 2500/3500rpm. I so decided to fill and drain another 4lt. of ns2 in order to replace the most of dirty fluid possible with drain and fill tactic. Again... car act great again but not for long, 2.000 km and start to slip again. At that point I went to a garage and mount a cvt fluid cooler + I did a flush with 8 lt. of NS3 and cvt reprogram calibration. Nothing change... after 2/3000 km same story again... it slip again and again. Not so bad for now... I mean I can adjust my feet on the way to manage those shifts to keep them under 2500rpm or hier the 3500 where it seems like the trans does not slips (SEEMS NOT). Am feeling depress coz nobody gives me a good explanation on what is happening or how should I solve this. I hope here somebody can open a window where i can get a bit of fresh air for me ....and MY TRANNY....
THANK YOU THOUSAND FOR UR ATTENTION.
PS. Teana in Asia I believe is the same for Altima overseas, also my apologies for my poor written English...tried my best as an Italian... :)

zbushart
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD-Arctic Blue metallic

I have a 2015 Rogue with 20k on it and I just found out the transmission has to be replaced. When going high speeds I would hear a scraping noise of some type, at first I thought I needed new brakes. Then yesterday, when I put it into R or D, it wouldn't move for a couple of seconds, then it kicked forward. They ordered parts and it is supposed to be replaced tomorrow. Although my car never quit on me or stopped running.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

For those familiar, does the CVT whining sound similar to a supercharger whine?
My Rogue SL AWD w/ factory installed cooler is making a whining noise while driving in warm weather (+25*C) through hills and mountains.

However, it has not gone into limp mode when making this noise. Once I slow down and keep rpms down the whining goes away.

Is this a sign of imminent CVT failure?

Thanks

Rsabcd
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Bump

elgato748
Car: 2008 Sentra

My daughters 2008 Sentra SL with 95000 miles on it is on its third CVT. We are in Arizona and they always fail in the summer. 30 to 35,000 appears to be the life expectancy in hot climates. This weekend we took it from Tucson to Phoenix (about 120 miles). Just like the last two that failed it was screeching very loudly. It did not go into fail safe but neither did the previous two. Around town it is not too loud yet.
We took it to Jim Click Nissan and they wanted $95 to "diagnose" the problem. I have not seen this BS game before. All you have to do is drive it on the freeway for a while.
Suggestions?
Thanks

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

elgato748 wrote:My daughters 2008 Sentra SL with 95000 miles on it is on its third CVT. We are in Arizona and they always fail in the summer. 30 to 35,000 appears to be the life expectancy in hot climates. This weekend we took it from Tucson to Phoenix (about 120 miles). Just like the last two that failed it was screeching very loudly. It did not go into fail safe but neither did the previous two. Around town it is not too loud yet.
We took it to Jim Click Nissan and they wanted $95 to "diagnose" the problem. I have not seen this BS game before. All you have to do is drive it on the freeway for a while.
Suggestions?
Thanks
What happened the other 2 times you brought it in?

I was under the impression that once they replace the CVT under warranty the one they replace it with only has a 12,000 mile warranty.
So did your second CVT fail within 12K miles?

Every dealership has a diagnostic fee. If it's still under warranty I would tell them I'll pay the diag fee, but it is needs a new CVT then I get the money back. Or try another stearlership

danrog1
Car: 2015 Rogue SV FWD

I have 2015 SV rogue 2WD and I hear that there is a service bulletin on the CVT for this year can anyone here tell me what it is about? Thanks.

Dan

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

re; CVT Whining -

2013 S with 72k miles. Mine developed a whine at higher RPMs (climbing hills at 2500-3k). Started about 45k miles and got progressively louder as mileage increased. I did a simple drain and refill at 70k. The whine disappeared. I did another drain and refill about 500 miles later. Why?
CVT holds ~9qts. Drain yields 6 qts, so after replacing the 6 you have a 33% contamination. If you do another drain/refill shortly after, you end up with ~10% contamination. Almost a complete fluid exchange. I found the NS-2 fluid on eBay for $11.67/qt. so the cost per drain/refill is $70 per. The drain/refill process is very easy. FYI...

mud1070
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL

Hello,
I have a 2011 Nissan Rogue SL w/ 118k, with the same CVT trans noise, slippage and fail safe as described here and many other forums. :mad:

Some background:
The first time the screeching belt noise was back around 90k, I had the cvt changed and it went away for a while. My wife an I went on a trip to VA from VT in hot weather, 85-90F, and the rpms shot up on the highway and went into limp mode. This happened 4 times on our way and 3 on the way back. I changed the fluid myself after this, about 6qt of fluid out and in. The fluid out was dark brown and looked pretty bad. The problem is better, but still consistently screeches after warm-up over 3k rpm. :bs:

My question is:
With this slippage and contaminated oil, is the CVT damaged? :confused:

I want to install an oil cooler (eBay 21606-1XF0A, GENUINE-COOLER-ASSY-AUTO-TRANSMISSION-OIL-21606-1XF0A-for-NISSAN ) with the transmission oil cooler radiator.
Is it worth the investment and time to do this, or just dump the POS and buy something else? :facepalm:

Thanks,

Jay

energizermax01

My 2008 Nissan Rogue with 123,251 miles. The Cvt transmission just locked up no fail-safe or any other warning. It's under warranty through the used car dealership here in San Antonio TX. They are replacing it with what they stated would be a salvage transmission. But I'm concerned that they may not have proper knowledge as to proper Cvt fluid and I don't understand why it just locked down completely in traffic. Is this because of improper fluid? Should I be concerned about the salvage transmission? I have read that once one has to be replaced it's never the same again. Is there any truth to this Any advice would be greatly appreciated

energizermax01

energizermax01 wrote:My 2008 Nissan Rogue with 123,251 miles. The Cvt transmission just locked up no fail-safe or any other warning. It's under warranty through the used car dealership here in San Antonio TX. They are replacing it with what they stated would be a salvage transmission. But I'm concerned that they may not have proper knowledge as to proper Cvt fluid and I don't understand why it just locked down completely in traffic. Is this because of improper fluid? Should I be concerned about the salvage transmission? I have read that once one has to be replaced it's never the same again. Is there any truth to this Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

It's been a while since I last posted here, but felt an obligation to report in on my recent CVT experience. Due to the number of negative reports regarding Nissan dealerships I'd like to offer a positive one so prospective buyers/owners won't think its all doom and gloom.

NOTE: Other than the dreaded leaking seals on the brake calipers hampering pad replacement :frown: ... my 09 Rogue has been pretty much problem free. However... truth be told we don't drive it very much. To date it only has 47,000 miles on it.

Somewhere around 40,000 miles we started to notice a "whistling" noise. To be clear... in our instance, it was a whistle sound... not a whine! It sounded like the whistle created when you purse your lips and whistle while inhaling. Similar to the sound of a leak on the intake manifold or a loose vacuum hose. We would only hear it when the engine was warm and when accelerating between 40 and 60 MPH.

I should point out that I always do all my own maintenance, and that I have "never" taken my Rogue back to the dealership for any of the recommended scheduled maintenance cycles, oil changes, etc. In my seven years of ownership I only returned to the dealership once and that was for recall notice involving the CVT... (a programming change of some sort.)

Anyway... several months ago I received the Safety Recall notice involving inspection of the driver side kick panel wiring harness. I chose to ignore it. As a result I kept getting recall notice reminders. So... on Monday of this week I took it to the dealership so they could check off the recall. While the service technician was writing up the service form I asked if he could also have the mechanic investigate the whistling sound. 40 minutes later the mechanic walked in. He reported the recall had been addressed and he determined the whistling sound was a problem with the front end of the CVT unit and that the transmission would have to be replaced. The service manager said they would order a CVT unit and call me when it arrived. They called Wednesday morning saying the new CVT unit was in. Within the hour Rogue was back at the dealership and they gave me a brand new 2016 Altima for a loaner (it only had 42 miles on it) The very next day, Thursday afternoon, they called to say my car was ready. Wow... in less than one week... with "no" hassle of any kind they replaced the transmission. No charge of any kind. No diagnostic fees. Did not pay one penny! Heck... I didn't even have to refill the gas tank on the loaner car. :dblthumb:

NET: I was in and out of the Nissan dealership with an new CVT unit in 3 days, no grief... and didn't pay a single penny for anything! I'm happy to report, I for one, can't complain about my dealership or the service I received. It's unfortunate every Nissan owner doesn't receive the same level of service.
darylzero wrote: I was under the impression that once they replace the CVT under warranty the one they replace it with only has a 12,000 mile warranty.
So did your second CVT fail within 12K miles?

Every dealership has a diagnostic fee. If it's still under warranty I would tell them I'll pay the diag fee, but it is needs a new CVT then I get the money back. Or try another dealership
I asked the Service Manager about CVT unit and the warranty. He explained said the Nissan CVT units have gone through 3 iterations since 2008. He also acknowledged they (the dealership) have replaced quite a few CVT units particularly the earlier 2008 2009 Nissans models. He said Nissan reimburses the dealership for all costs. He added... due to the labor, time involved. time lost, and maintaining customer satisfaction that they only install the latest iteration of CVT in an effort to minimize the potential for any further problems. He showed me the paperwork from Nissan with a bunch on models and numbers and indicated a line verifying I received the latest and greatest iteration. (Sorry... I failed to record any of the number information) I also asked about the warranty. He said "if" they replace a CVT unit in a vehicle that is out of the CVT warranty period (greater than 10 years or 120,000 miles) then a CVT replacement would be covered by a one year 12,000 mile warranty. However, if the vehicle is still within the warranty period then the replacement transmission is covered by the original factory warranty and it will be replaced as many times as needed within the 10 year / 120,000 mile period at no charge.

As I mentioned above I didn't have to pay for anything... i.e., no diagnostic fee... although I would have been happy to since it only seems fair. Regardless I'm a happy camper.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

@Elton Noway - Nice of you to check back in :dblthumb:

I think your positive experience with the CVT replacement has 100% to do with that amazing dealership.

What dealership was this anyway?

energizermax01

energizermax01 wrote:My 2008 Nissan Rogue with 123,251 miles. The Cvt transmission just locked up no fail-safe or any other warning. It's under warranty through the used car dealership here in San Antonio TX. They are replacing it with what they stated would be a salvage transmission. But I'm concerned that they may not have proper knowledge as to proper Cvt fluid and I don't understand why it just locked down completely in traffic. Is this because of improper fluid? Should I be concerned about the salvage transmission? I have read that once one has to be replaced it's never the same again. Is there any truth to this Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Others have posted and got replies with in 24 hours and I posted 5 days ago and nothing. I could really use some opinions on the matter

disallow
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - 110000 km
2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 270000km

energizermax01 wrote:
Others have posted and got replies with in 24 hours and I posted 5 days ago and nothing. I could really use some opinions on the matter
Umm ok... well you aren't really asking anything specific. They will replace your trans with a salvage, sounds like you don't have to pay. Use some of the info from this forum and insist that they use Nissan Genuine fluid, though they probably won't, so maybe do a drain and fill after the fact.

As far as comments like 'it's never the same again' I would think thats a good thing? vs being locked up on the freeway?

Elton Noway

darylzero wrote:

I think your positive experience with the CVT replacement has 100% to do with that amazing dealership.

What dealership was this anyway?
CrossRoads Nissan, Wake Forest, NC

kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

disallow wrote:
energizermax01 wrote: Others have posted and got replies with in 24 hours and I posted 5 days ago and nothing. I could really use some opinions on the matter
Umm ok... well you aren't really asking anything specific. They will replace your trans with a salvage, sounds like you don't have to pay. Use some of the info from this forum and insist that they use Nissan Genuine fluid, though they probably won't, so maybe do a drain and fill after the fact.

As far as comments like 'it's never the same again' I would think thats a good thing? vs being locked up on the freeway?
If it's free or minimal cost bec of warranty, just do it versus having to buy for another replacement vehicle. If it's going to cost you more than $3,000, I don't think it's worth to replace the tranny. Is this a Nissan dealership?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

energizermax01 wrote:They are replacing it with what they stated would be a salvage transmission.
this could be great, or it could be horrible. very little room in between. regardless, they will have to replace the bad one.
I'm concerned that they may not have proper knowledge as to proper Cvt fluid
just mention the fluid to them. tell them what you know.
I don't understand why it just locked down completely in traffic.
as most DR's cant tell you where a certain problem came from - mechanics cant always either.
Is this because of improper fluid?
possibly. doubt it though. i think this was due to neglect, or just spontaneous internal failure. these transmission are problematic
Should I be concerned about the salvage transmission?
see my answer above.
I have read that once one has to be replaced it's never the same again. Is there any truth to this Any advice would be greatly appreciated
yes/no. something just are never 100% right; and sometimes they are. depends on the mechanic. sometimes they are even better. i once noticed the factory didnt install a long enough hose on a 2006 ram truck (and the clamp was before the nipple) for the power steering- i installed a longer hose and fixed the leak.

just roll with it - and see how it goes. you'll know within an hour or so of driving if its good or bad. the used transmission will have a VIN number on it - run that via carfax to see how many miles were on it; odds are it will be less than your car. if so - thats a win!

Elton Noway

ImStricken06 wrote: [snip] the used transmission will have a VIN number on it - run that via carfax to see how many miles were on it; odds are it will be less than your car. if so - thats a win!
Out of curiosity, since mine CVT was replaced just last week (and was told it was a new unit) I crawled under my Rogue looking for a VIN number. I didn't see a vin number per se' (then again I wasn't sure where to look) But... I did spot these markings via the driver side wheel well. The stamping to the left of the numbers it almost looks like a QR code although I couldn't get it to scan. I thought about filling the detents with black paint and trying to scan it again but due to the tight squeeze and slight angle... I decided it was probably more trouble than it was worth.

BASE957

I just joined up to post a reply because I gained a lot of knowledge on this subject by reading through this entire thread. I want to share my story because its now been two+ years since this thread was started by the OP.

I own an 2012 Rogue S, 38K miles. My vehicle started with all the same symptoms described in this thread and other online forums/blogs. It first started happening at around 25K miles but only once a month or so. At that time because it would go back to normal after sitting/cooling off I did not know what was going on. The symptoms (mostly the fail safe mode and severe whining noise) started happening more and more as the summer heat here in Las Vegas began full swing. I'd experience most of the problems at higher altitude 7-8K+ (I do a lot of camping/hiking in the mts) while going up any hills/incline. Because it became more regular I started doing some research online to find out what the hell was going on. And that's how I stumbled onto this forum. So yesterday 8/23/16 I took it into local Nissan dealership early in the AM, they called a couple hours later and told me a new trans (more than 50 overheating codes showed up in the cars computer wow) was needed and they would also be installing a "cooling fan". I got it back in the late afternoon. Nissan is so booked up with replacing these s*** transmissions, they keep a stock pile of new trans on the shelves....that's just crazy. I can already feel a difference in the way the vehicles accelerates from a complete stop and does not "hesitate" to get going. Taking it on a long 4 hour road trip this weekend to test it out. I was really lucky this happened while still in warranty as they told me it was $4K+ in parts, labor, taxes, etc. I could never afford that right now. That being said, as long as the car is running good now, I'm dumping it. Just because I live in Vegas does not mean I have to roll the dice on whether or not this same crap will happen 20,40,maybe 60K miles later when its outta warranty. I feel so bad about an old lady I met in the courtesy shuttle van, she was original owner on a 2006 Maxima with only 67K original miles on it. She was having terrible transmission problems and yes 7K miles past the warranty. Sucks!!!

Why am I telling everyone this, because I want folks to know this crap with the CVTs is still happening. Does anyone know if Nissan is STILL installing these BST (bull s*** transmissions) in the 2016s? Have the changed the design at all?

So frustrating.

If anyone wants a 2012 Rogue with a brand new tranny and low miles, and is in the Vegas area shoot me a PM.

bLuE001
Car: Sentra

I realize this post is a few years old, but wanted to add 2 cents in case it comes up for someone. Ive been reading many of the posts, wish I had read these a year ago. Over a few years owning the car (Sentra) I thought I had just got used to the 'whine' but it seemed it was louder and the car was more sluggish. I went to dealership for a cursory inspection, all good but they recommended some work, such as struts which I KNEW I was going to need. So after I get that done, THEN they mention the air intake is cracked, and my tranny fluid should be replaced. I do plan to do the fluid soon when I can arrange it, but showed the car to my son in law who is a bit of a mechanic. He agreed, need air intake ASAP, I bought the part and he did the work. Here's the thing, the dealership had put tape around the crack, but the tape slipped inside and I was very lucky it didn't get sucked into the engine parts. But as soon as I had the new air intake, wow!! My car drove like it was new again, no whine. I mean you always have a bit from a cvt tranny, but it was reduced back to normal. And it had renewed power, of course. My lesson I learned, when you have a good dealership, don't avoid them too long or damage can be done to the car. I will be getting the tranny fluid shortly.
When I first bought the car, I asked at the dealer and they told me "no' do not touch the tranny fluid, it is meant to stay sealed for life. That was maybe 2012. This year they said 'well yes, that is what Nissan originally told us, but now they recommend changing the tranny fluid"
So, after reading things here, I think the least I should do is still get the fluid changed to avoid trouble later. I thought I still had 60 K (36,000 miles) to go, but since read its 200, 000 k or 10 yrs, whichever comes first, so next year ends my warranty, id best treat the tranny well.

2008and2016Rogue
Car: 2008 Blue Rogue SL and 2016 Red Rogue SV

Our 2008 Rogue with 138,000 miles on the odometer and 120,000 miles on our replaced cvt died on me today. just driving along minding my own business when all of a sudden, 2 huge shudders from the tranny and then it just stopped working. I got it towed to the Nissan dealer and they diagnosed that the cvt is TOAST!. Metal pieces in the fluid! Gonna cost $3400, which is actually much less than I had expected. As the extended warranty is 10 years and 120K miles, I am hoping that Nissan corporate will have a heart, since 120K miles is how many we have on our replacement tranny and we feel the extended warranty should apply to the cvt itself. I will let you know if this works.

BTW, I am thinking about checking out the new Rogue Sport this spring when it comes out. I like the look of it better than our 2016 Rogue and after 9 years it is probably time to replace old 'blue'

avsphins76
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue "Special Edition"

Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of reading on this particular forum as something similar has popped up regarding our 2012 Rogue. We have never had an ounce of trouble with the car until this past fall after we had moved from the greater Chicagoland area to Pierre, SD (I am from rural AK originally). Needless to say, we have a few more hills out here. In October we were cruising down I-90 heading uphill towards Sioux Falls for a getaway and shopping with our cruise control on when it suddenly gave out and the "limp mode" problems (with what I presume an overheating problem with the fluid) have been happening at random since then. I too have called Nissan (and brought to the local dealer) both of which said I would have to pay for a technician to drive our car until it "recreated the problem." The customer service helpline acted as though this was a completely new problem.

I've had my fill with morons on the other end of the phone and here in town so I am driving the car back out to SF to have the thing looked at.

Does anyone have any tips, thoughts, things to say to the dealer that might be helpful to get them to deal with the problem?

Thanks!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

avsphins76 wrote:Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of reading on this particular forum as something similar has popped up regarding our 2012 Rogue. We have never had an ounce of trouble with the car until this past fall after we had moved from the greater Chicagoland area to Pierre, SD (I am from rural AK originally). Needless to say, we have a few more hills out here. In October we were cruising down I-90 heading uphill towards Sioux Falls for a getaway and shopping with our cruise control on when it suddenly gave out and the "limp mode" problems (with what I presume an overheating problem with the fluid) have been happening at random since then. I too have called Nissan (and brought to the local dealer) both of which said I would have to pay for a technician to drive our car until it "recreated the problem." The customer service helpline acted as though this was a completely new problem.

I've had my fill with morons on the other end of the phone and here in town so I am driving the car back out to SF to have the thing looked at.

Does anyone have any tips, thoughts, things to say to the dealer that might be helpful to get them to deal with the problem?

Thanks!
You've posted this in the correct area, so there was no need to stand a new thread for the same thing (also a no no under House Rules). There's not much Nissan can or will do for you. As far as they're concerned, the car is operating as designed. The best solution is to do what others have done and add the auxiliary transmission cooler, or trade it in.

Return to “Rogue Forum”