CVT Rattle/Noise - Discussion Thread

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

OK, so coming to work its mostly down hill and I go back and forth between D and N. Coast most of the 6 miles in. This morning I heard a rattle or grinding noise every time I threw the trany into N. By the time I got to work the noise was gone? Was it my imagination or something with the trany? Thx.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Hmm, I don't think you should ever hear a rattle like that, but also I'm not sure if it's a good practice to throw the tranny into neutral on a regular basis, such as when you hit a downhill slope - it may be hard on the tranny.

Anyone know if this is true?

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

We have been hearing a subtle rattling or tapping noise for the past 1,000 miles. We hear it at slow speeds, most often when we step on and off the gas. I think it's coming from the tranny.

Today it's been in the shop all day to get it checked out. The tech said it was 'strange'. They don't know how to fix it...they have asked Nissan for assistance.

Other than that, it runs GREAT! We love our Rogue (after 3,500 miles at 26.5 mpg)

Goblin

daytrippr wrote:We have been hearing a subtle rattling or tapping noise for the past 1,000 miles. We hear it at slow speeds, most often when we step on and off the gas. I think it's coming from the tranny.

Today it's been in the shop all day to get it checked out. The tech said it was 'strange'. They don't know how to fix it...they have asked Nissan for assistance.

Other than that, it runs GREAT! We love our Rogue (after 3,500 miles at 26.5 mpg)
That's sounds about right. I drive less than 35 mph on the way to work. Keep me posted on what they say. The car seems to drive fine.

Also, I figure if you can use the paddle shifter to shock the trany into false gears than throwing it in and out of neutral should not hurt it any. The CVT makes it impossible to coast. It feels like I put the breaks on when my foot comes off the accelerator. I'm use to my Dodge which I swear would pick up speed when you took your foot off.

daytrippr

We just got home with it...the shop thought it was in the transfer case...they said the tranny fluid seemed a little dark...Nissan said that it's in the tranny and they are 'working on it'...they also said it is OK to drive

I would take yours in and have the dealer check it out...

Goblin

daytrippr wrote:We just got home with it...the shop thought it was in the transfer case...they said the tranny fluid seemed a little dark...Nissan said that it's in the tranny and they are 'working on it'...they also said it is OK to drive

I would take yours in and have the dealer check it out...
OK, you talked me into it. Anyhow, I did manage to call the dealership and they would like me to bring it in Thursday (8th) night and leave it with them, so they can drive it first thing in the morning. I explained to the guy that by the time I get to work the car no longer makes the noise. He is keeping an open mind on the trany but named off a dozen other things it could be, as there is no TSB on the trany to date.

Seriously, if they were not offering to give me another car, etc. I'd wait for the thing to hit the ground before taking it in. I hate service centers!

kerrton

Ok I wish I hadn't read your post, now I'm a little parnoid and always listening for noises at slow speeds!! I'm sure there is nothing to worry about though, this is a proven power train that has been used in the Altima previously, so it's not like it is brand new with the introduction of the Rogue, right? Geez, I gotta relax!!

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

I've been hearing a weird noise coming from what I thought was the left front area at very slow speeds. I had it in for the first oil change and to check out this noise. After several hours they determined the noise was coming from the CVT. At first they though the CVT would be replaced but after contacting Nissan I was told that a solenoid was going to be replaced I was also told that Nissan was aware of the problem and I could continue to drive the car, that there hasn't been any failures

I'll keep you posted

philipa_240sx

kerrton wrote:this is a proven power train that has been used in the Altima previously, so it's not like it is brand new with the introduction of the Rogue, right?
... and the Sentra SE-R. If you look at just the CVT... add the Murano, Versa, Maxima. Nissan has sold over one million CVT equipped vehicles worldwide. The first was the 1992 Nissan March (also sold as the Nissan Micra during the eighties).

BTW, the CVT in my Rogue has not made any noticeable noises.

Briguy1027

I haven't noticed any noises with my transmission as well. One thing someone brought up that I have noticed is in going down a hill, the cvt changes your gear ratio and you do slow down, which is different from any other car I've driven. I actually sort of like that, because it means I don't need to ride the brakes down the hill at all. At least I'm guessing the CVT changes gear ratios when going down a hill.

philipa_240sx

Briguy1027 wrote:One thing someone brought up that I have noticed is in going down a hill, the cvt changes your gear ratio and you do slow down, which is different from any other car I've driven.
You are correct. Engine braking capabilities were added to the CVT in the Rogue. There is a link at Nissan Global News with all the tech info. Warning: it's a very big PDF file.

http://www.nissan-global.com/E...4.pdf

Goblin

I am supposed to take my Rogue in to check out the noise I heard on Monday and Tuesday morning. I'm going to cancel that visit since I have not heard it in the past two days. The car drives fine and I have had no problems with performance. I'm going to assume what ever it was fixed itself or fell off the car. Anyhow, there's not much since in taking in a car with a rattle or noise that just ain't there. I'll let you know if it comes back.

philipa_240sx

I have noticed a brief 'clicking' noise when driving very slow (<5mph). It seems to occur whenever you lightly depress or release the accelerator. Honestly I believe this is just the nature of the CVT transmission. The vehicle drives fine otherwise.

BTW, I towed a loaded 5x10 landscape trailer today. I figure the load was at least 800lbs including trailer. No problems at all... the Rogue tows very well. I do not have the paddle/manual shift option but the CVT responds very well to the additional load. If I need lower gearing for hills, I just activate the Overdrive Lock button on the shifter.

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

Goblin wrote:OK, so coming to work its mostly down hill and I go back and forth between D and N. Coast most of the 6 miles in. This morning I heard a rattle or grinding noise every time I threw the trany into N. By the time I got to work the noise was gone? Was it my imagination or something with the trany? Thx.
I'm not too bad when it comes to the mechanical, plus, my dad was a good mechanic for years.....but, that said....I'm not the most versed inour new CVT trannys, (are any of us at this stage?), but.....I just get thisomninous feeling about the practice of alternating from D to N while drivingat speed....it seems logical that the tranny has to figure out where its atand "catch up/adjust" each time you slip it back in to D.....that has to addundo stress to the internals.

I just don't think it would be a recommended practice.....just to be on the safe side, I flat wouldn't do it.....but, thats me and my .02 worth....Iseriously doubt that Nissan anticipated/planned that people would drive in this manner, and therefore have designed the tranny thusly??It may or may not hurt anything, ...do ya feel lucky?....Your call.

Modified by mistergib at 5:36 PM 5/10/2008

lenvoile
Car: nissan rogue, nissan maxima, nissan frontier

My Rogue started doing this noise approx. at 6,000 km and now at 9,000km the noise is getting worst (rattle or grinding noise at slow speed or on deceleration). I went to the dealer this morning, they did a road test and called nissan (TECHLINE), they said nissan is aware of this problem and they should replace the transmission to fix this problem.

theczecho

My girlfriend, who owns the Rogue, first brought in the car to the shop about a month ago. The noise was especially prevalent when she slowed and was making a left turn.They thought it was the CV Joint and replaced that. The noise kept up after the replacement. They then told her that Nissan told them that they had come across one other Rogue with a similar problem, and that they would get back to her.

By Mother's day, the noise had gotten worse. When I drove the car, there was the faint smell of either something rubbery burning, or automotive fluid being fried.

She took it back in Monday. The mechanic agreed there was a sound, but after inspecting the car, he couldn't figure out what it might be. He told her (get this!):"Nissan knows that there is something making the noise, but doesn't know what it is, but they assure her that it is safe!"

They don't know what it is, but they know that it is safe?

A little difficult to swallow, no?

Now I don't think the wheels are going to fall off, but if the tranny train craps when she is driving through a bad neighborhood on her way to or from work in upper Manhattan, "safe" takes on a different meaning.

Hopefully Nissan figures it out before they start calling themselves Datsun again!
Modified by theczecho at 4:04 PM 5/20/2008

philipa_240sx

Hmm, this is very unusual. I have nearly 10,000km on my Rogue and I have not noticed any transmission issues. Let us know what happens.

neovision1981
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

5000 km on my Rogue today (Yes I drive a lot since the car was picked up Apr 17th of this year), the only noise I hear is a slight hum from the CVT usually when the car is around 1000-1500 rpm. Once above that it is virtually silent. Definately not the same as the 98 Maxima I replaced but I'm loving it so far.

There was a problem with the First model year Murano and the CVT transfer casing would be damaged as people would be driving with AWD Lock Mode On at highway speeds. Could there be a similar situation with some of these scenarios where people do not realize that Lock Mode is on?

fairges
Car: 2008 Rogue

We will be having our transmission changed in the next couple weeks (just ordered the transmission today). Our Rogue has just about 4,000 miles and the noise is VERY ANNOYING, especially for a brand new vehicle. We had to bring it in a few times and let them know that we would not deal with this noise and it needed to be fixed.

I'll follow up and let you know if the noise goes away.

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

fairges wrote:We will be having our transmission changed in the next couple weeks (just ordered the transmission today). Our Rogue has just about 4,000 miles and the noise is VERY ANNOYING, especially for a brand new vehicle. We had to bring it in a few times and let them know that we would not deal with this noise and it needed to be fixed.

I'll follow up and let you know if the noise goes away.
I must say that having to have the tranny replaced at 4,000 miles has me a bit concerned now.

theczecho

Funny how a story can change. When the GF told Nissan that she was now aware of several other Rogue owners who had the same problem, courtesy of this site, the tune changed overnight.

Now he's saying that Nissan is aware of this problem as they have had many complaints. the new theory is that the transfer case is the culprit. A far cry from the "We don't know what it is, but the car is safe" line from yesterday.

I'm guessing that Nissan is trying to keep this quiet in the hopes that most do not complain, which might cause a recall. Those that complain will probably get fixed, but quietly.

Boards like this are very useful, and much hated by car manufacturers.

philipa_240sx

I don't know if it's Nissan or the dealer itself sometimes. My experience with the door sill scratching issue has been very positive. The dealer has been looking after me and I even had the opportunity to speak directly with a rep from Nissan Canada. The issue isn't resolved yet, but I am happy with how it's progressed so far.

My Altima was part of the '02-03 QR25DE pre-catalyst failure issue. I had the entire motor changed under warranty with no BS or coverup by the dealer. They just got it done!

I guess your mileage may vary????

kerrton

Hmmm, since this is not a new powertrain (correct me if I'm wrong), I would guess that this won't turn in to a widespread recall issue with the transfer case, or whatever the problem is with the tranny. At least that is what I hope, I purchased this vehicle thinking that this was a proven power train that has been in use in the Altima for several years and so obviously would have no unexpected major recalls on it requiring total tranny replacement. So I would venture to say that we Rogue owners have nothing to worry about if we currently hear no loud tranny noises, and the majority of us will have a powertrain that will takes decades to wear out!! (I hope!!)

daytrippr

kerrton wrote:... So I would venture to say that we Rogue owners have nothing to worry about if we currently hear no loud tranny noises, and the majority of us will have a powertrain that will takes decades to wear out!! (I hope!!)
We posted further up the page...first ones to mention the 'rattle'

Update: We continue to call the dealer who says that they are still waiting for an answer from Nissan, although, now there is another Rogue in our area with the same noise.

The noise is (as best as I can describe it) a rattle from under the hood, not unlike an engine 'ping', yet it can only be heard at low speeds and usually as you are coming to a stop. It kind of sounds/feels like the tranny is vibrating as it downshifts to whatever 'first' is in the CVT... BUT, the noise is very subtle...no loud obnoxious noises, just a slight rattle.

I have not smelled any burning smell and it runs great, just makes this annoying rattle and since it is mechanical (we assume) very disconcerting.

We are going for a 700 mile trip over the Holiday Weekend, so we will let you know how it got thru it all.

philipa_240sx

The QR25DE motor is on it's second generation and has been used in a variety of Nissan products including the Altima, Sentra, Rogue, X-Trail (Canada), and Frontier.

The CVT itself has been changed since it first appeared on the Murano. The current CVT design is shared with the Altima 2.5 and Sentra SE-R. The Chrysler/Mitsu twins also share use the same CVT: Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, and Mitsubishi Outlander.

The transfer case, AWD transfer coupling, and other components are based on the unit on the Murano. They should be identical to the those used on the Rogue's twins: the Dualis (Japan) and Qashqai (UK).

So yes, components of the drivetrain have been around for awhile. However, the Rogue is the first to pair Nissan's QR25DE motor, the Jatco CVT, and the AWD system together.

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:The noise is (as best as I can describe it) a rattle from under the hood, not unlike an engine 'ping', yet it can only be heard at low speeds and usually as you are coming to a stop. It kind of sounds/feels like the tranny is vibrating as it downshifts to whatever 'first' is in the CVT... BUT, the noise is very subtle...no loud obnoxious noises, just a slight rattle.
I too have noticed a slight vibration/metallic rattle but you really have to listen for it. It happens just before you come to a stop. It does not happen all the time, and performance has not been affected. IMHO it seems to part of normal CVT operation.

kerrton

Yeah, now that you mention it, I notice that just as you are slowing down and coming to a stop, there is a bit of a surge forward, presumably as the CVT unlocks the torque converter?

Does everyone feel this surge just before stopping, and I am guessing this is the same moment when some of you are hearing the rattle? I don't hear the rattle, but I definately feel the surge, which isn't a big deal but it does feel a bit odd.

daytrippr

philipa_240sx wrote:... IMHO it seems to part of normal CVT operation.
Definitely NOT a normal operating sound...sometimes it is subtle and sometimes quite loud...usually when the car is good and warmed up. We would not have bought the Rogue if this noise was happening all the time. It just started after a 300 mile trip and is getting progressively worse.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I dont hear a rattle, but I do notice a slight surge when I slow down and coast and than accelerate slowly.First time I noticed it when I was slowing down in a parking lot and sort of coasted going slow, upon slight acceleration it almost felt like I hit a speed bump and it felt like the car was being "jerked" around. I am having a hard time explaining this, but I thought it was just my imagination, does not happen all the time.

Paul

kerrton

Paul, that is exactly what I was trying to describe, it happens to me almost every time I stop. I don't think it's a problem though, just the way the CVT works? I'm just glad there isn't a rattle, then I'd get worried.

Return to “Rogue Forum”