3rd Gen Rogue Moonroof Water Leak

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Ynorum
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue

Anyone else seen this? This my my wife's 2 month old 2021 Rogue...... not excited! I'm not buying into the "clogged sunroof drains" I've been reading about that some dealerships seem to be telling owners they are responsible to clean.
Attachments
Resized_20210607_153845.jpeg
Resized_20210607_153848.jpeg

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That shouldn't be possible on a 2-month old car unless you drove through a mud-storm. My guess is the factory pinched or didn't connect the front drains. There has to be water underneath the carpet as well. Warranty will approve a headliner for sure, along with a carpet if the existing one can't be dried out. Get to the dealer in a hurry, mold never sleeps.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Even if it's clogged drains, Nissan will cover them if they happen during the warranty period. See this post:

topic628636.html

Nissan covered that on a 2-year-old vehicle, even though it was clearly lack of customer maintenance. Headliner and carpet both replaced, full disinfection and Lysol-boil. Customer paid $0.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

That's pretty poor craftmanship for a new Rogue. This is probably why I rarely used my sunroof because I don't want it to break or leak for that matter.

So far so good after 12 years. :werd:

flipfrog
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum
Boulder Grey

Is it a platinum made in japan by chance?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:45 pm
That's pretty poor craftmanship for a new Rogue. This is probably why I rarely used my sunroof because I don't want it to break or leak for that matter.

So far so good after 12 years. :werd:
You're not actually doing it a favor by disuse, the pane gasket is an air-stop but isn't meant to stop water. The drains do that. The biggest favor you can do a sunroof is don't park under trees. The most pernicious drain clogs are always tree sap mixed with dirt.
flipfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:55 pm
Easy to tell from the VIN, first character J=Japan, K=Korea, 1 or 5=USA (I think US Rogues are all 5).

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:45 pm
Btw, I only ever saw a disconnected drain once before on a new Nissan, but it was also a Rogue (gen2). The drain wasn't actually disconnected, it was missing.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I use once in a blue moon, but mostly as a roof window to get a more spacious feel so I won't feel so confined and to get a view of the sky.

Occasionally clean the seals and wipe 303 protectant on it.

Mostly garaged too on a battery maintainer, but driven alot.

My theory is less use, less wear & tear. Of course use just like driving a car is good for it instead of sitting there. I concur. :cheers:

Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

flipfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:55 pm
Just curious as my 2018 Rogue SL Platinum was made in Japan (JN8...).

Are there issues with Rogue's made in Japan?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I feel safe in saying we see more unseated connectors and those sorts of "nuisance workmanship" issues on Smyrna-built vehicles than those built in Mississippi, Japan or Korea. I've actually always wondered if it wasn't related to unrequited union activism, since the UAW didn't get "booted over the fence" in Smyrna to the extent they did in Canton. However, I also feel safe in saying it's practically all nuisance issues, we don't see any big workmanship issues from any of the plants.

Lag8550
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hello, new user here just trying to get some answers. I have a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV w/ the premium package. Both of my A-Pillars are leaking. It is now at the 3rd dealership. So far, the first dealership said it was clogged sunroof drains. The second one said that they couldn't reproduce the leak (bogus answer) and I have yet to get an answer from the 3rd dealership. I have opened a case with Nissan Corporate and all they kept saying was the "dealership is your best point of contact" and suggested I try another dealer. I'm at a loss here and curious e=if you have gotten a fix for your Rogue? Thanks for your time.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's coming down the A-pillars on both sides then it pretty much has to be the sunroof drains or a bad sunroof frame. You can check them yourself with a bottle of clean water. Open the roof on level or downhill ground, pop the A-pillar trims loose so you can see inside, then pour water into the sunroof gutter on each side. If the drains are working, water should drip out behind the front wheels. If they're clogged, most or all of the water will come out the A-pillar and not underneath. If you get water in both places, either the frame is leaking or the tops of the hoses are popped off the nipples underneath the headliner. The latter may have happened if either dealership tried to blow them clear with compressed air but it didn't work.

abad7d2

yes I sure have. Actually in a lawsuit with Nissan for the lemon law. They have had it back 6 times. Head engineer the last time and it took them a week to "Fix it". Picked it up and they said all is good, we ran it through the car wash and no leaks. Well we took it through one near our house and it leaked like hell. They said well what car wash was that? I said what does it matter it should not leak.

Wife loves the vehicle but this one is going back and not sure If we will get it replaced or move onto another brand

abad7d2

mine leaked on day 5

abad7d2

ours was at the dealership multiple times before we filed the lawsuit. The engineer flat out said they can't fix it. It is a design flaw. Many of these will be going back to Nissan. Mine may be the first

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

abad7d2 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 am
ours was at the dealership multiple times before we filed the lawsuit. The engineer flat out said they can't fix it. It is a design flaw. Many of these will be going back to Nissan. Mine may be the first
We see half the sunroof problems in Arkansas and I have yet to see one on a gen3, but there's still nothing mysterious about sunroof drains. If they can't fix it then I have no idea why. I'd also love to know who the "engineer" was, DTS's aren't usually engineers (with one exception that I know of) and don't pretend to be. Something here smells fishy.

Return to “Rogue Forum”