Factory Water Leak in 2014 Nissan Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL

About 3 months after I purchased my 2014 Rogue SL brand new off the lot I noticed water pooled in the carpet underneath the Driver's Seat. I sucked up about 1.5 Gallons with the Wet/Dry and then took the vehicle into the dealer the next day they were open. I also noticed that the carpet was wet behind the gas pedal so that may have been where the water was getting in, or at least, travelling through on it's way to the area under the driver's seat.

I would not have noticed this if I had not decided to quickly clean the carpet underneath the driver's seat.

Previous to the water being noticed on the carpet under the seat I had noticed "fog" on the inside of the windshield once and awhile but shrugged it off - in Hindsight that was a signal something was wrong because it was in the middle of one of the driest summers we have had in years.

When I took it to the dealership they investigated, confirmed that there was indeed a water leak, and kept the vehicle for 2.5 days while they did repairs.

The determined that a "SYNTHETIC FACTORY WELD" had been missed and that was the cause of the water leaking into the vehicle.

They had to remove the inner fender liner on the driver side of the vehicle and who knows what else to Silicon the areas where the "SYNTHETIC FACTORY WELD" was missed and then they had to remove the driver seat and pull up the carpet and under lay to dry it all out.

So, a couple of months later, and I am back to square one, lots of water on the windshield and the sun roof glass, we had several days of very heavy rain followed by clear, sunny days so the moisture has evaporated in the car and then reformed on the glass.

So, this time I took pictures and emailed them to the dealership and am waiting for them to decide what they are going to do. They did thank me for sending them pictures of the moisture on the glass,and so far, have been great to deal with.

Anyways, one of the things discussed last time I had this problem was completely removing the Dash to get at the area where the leak might be, so I guess that is what they will want to do this time.

I have told them that I am not keen to have them do that because they will never get everything put back in as tight has it is installed in the factory.

They have already said they don't want to replace the carpet because it never goes in as good as the factory install.

I don't know yet where this will lead but I wanted to share it here because if they missed a "Synthetic Factory Weld" in my vehicle there are other vehicles out there as well where the weld was missed.

So check your 2014 Rogue to make sure you don't have wet carpets or water on the windshield or sun roof with no idea how it got there.

I leave the cloth cover pulled back on my sun roof now so the moisture does not gather there without me seeing it.

I have also been in touch with Nissan Corporate about this.

And I also have the Weathertech Floor Mats so it is not like there is water dripping off of my shoes and going into the carpet, the mats catch everything and I never leave standing water sitting in the mats anyways.

My Rogue is the Canadian Model with 3080 KM on it if that helps anyone.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That's good info. Thanks for sharing.
Would you also mind sharing the last 6 digits of your VIN? Anyone with a number close to that should also be on the lookout.

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:That's good info. Thanks for sharing.
Would you also mind sharing the last 6 digits of your VIN? Anyone with a number close to that should also be on the lookout.
Hi all,

The last 6 numbers of the VIN are 840325.

If anyone else has this problem I would really appreciate it if you would let me know.

I phoned Nissan Canada Corporate as well and got the usual "we are very sorry to hear of your problem" talk...

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

So is the dealer taking further steps to correct it? Or are you still debating letting them remove the dash?
I'd ask for an extended squeak and rattle warranty or something.

Hi PapaSmurf,

I am waiting for the Dealership to determine the way ahead with repairs so I don't know what the outcome will be yet.

I don't think I am going to have any choice but to agree to the Dash coming out if that is what they need to do to make the repairs because the leak has to be repaired, every time I wash the car or it rains water is getting in - I am in a tough spot.

When I spoke with Nissan Canada about this issue they kept saying they stand behind their product but would not commit to a Warranty Extension for any repairs that need to be done. All they would say is that my problem is being sent to higher management for review and that there are no Recalls or Maintenance Bulletins about this problem.

Since this is a "missed factory synthetic weld" I am guessing that my Rogue is not the only one with this problem and there may be some 2014 Rogue Owners that don't even know they have a problem.

Will keep everyone apprised of the situation.

tutor772
Car: 2014 Rogue SV

I have a 2014 Rogue SV with Premium Package. The last 6 digits on the VIN are 838756.
The car was delivered to the dealer last May. Believe it or not, it sat on the lot until I bought it in August (maybe I should have taken that as a warning). I had the car for a week when I accidentally discovered the same thing as the OP: the driver's side carpeting was soaking wet. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 2 weeks. This is an excerpt from the repair order: "Found water leak coming from windshield and driver side and left front lower fender well body seam. Resealed windshield and body seam to correct." The repair order also says they removed the wiper arms, cowl, left front wheel house liner, driver knee bolster, and kick panel to track down the leak.They also replaced the carpets with new carpets. I was worried about everything going back together properly, but the tech. seems to have a good job removing and replacing all the items. I'm a bit skeptical about the windshield leaking, but a bad body seam I can believe. I check regularly, and so far the car has stayed dry. Chrysler and BMW supposedly use robots to apply sealer to the body seams, and I would assume Nissan uses them, too. If so, I guess we don't have to worry too much about robots taking over the world if they can't apply sealer to a seam.

Leo2005

Exactly same thing happened to my GF's Rogue. 1.5 months ago she went to the dealership and their respond was like: "You A/C got clogged and condensation was going in. So we dried the carpet, cleaned the A/C and now you are good to go." Last week she came back to them with the same problem and repaired it but I don't think either me nor her want to get into Nissan again. With that quality...

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Leo - would you mind posting the last 6 digits of the VIN as well?

I was speaking with Nissan Canada today and they say they have no record of anyone else having this water leak problem and my problem is still with Senior Management for review.

I explained to the young lady that I am aware of other folks who own the 2014 Nissan Rogue who have the same problem and she essentially brushed me off saying people get confused sometimes when they write things on the internet.

It would really help if folks that have had these water leaks were to call either Nissan USA or Nissan Canada (Corporate Offices) to let them know that you have had issues so that documentation of the problem is built up, hopefully, it will result in an extended warranty and detailed repair instructions for the Nissan Service Departments to follow concerning this water leak, that is, by all accounts the result of a missed factory weld.

This will help all of us out who own the 2014 Rogue, both now and in the future.

Thanks in advance!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I agree!
When people here post that they've reported it to corporate, you could actually tell them the last 6 of the VIN and call their bluff.

Typical Nissan. I hope this doesn't turn into another "melting dash" type scenario.
my-dashboard-is-melting-t569582.html

Leo2005

Sorry for the late reply but here's the info: 849708

Thanks Leo2005.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Well, assuming the problem with Leo was in fact a missed weld (and not clogged AC like the dealer said), that gives us a low VIN of
838756 and a high of 849708.
You'd think they would have caught the problem over the course of 11,000ish cars during an audit or something.

memyself

Had a similar problem, check out my thread : rouge-2014-sv-w-family-package-mold-odor-t593329.html

Hi Memyself,

Thanks for your response, is there any chance you can supply the last 6 digits of your VIN?

Thanks,

memyself

my last 6 digits are 796050.

Thanks memyself,

From the spread between your VIN and my VIN there must be a ton of folks out there driving around in a leaking Rogue, I suspect after we get through this winter that there are going to lots of people who discover they have water getting into their vehicle...

MQXtrail
Car: Nissan X Trail

How about someone explaining how water is getting into the cabin from the fender well and somehow you cannot feel a spray while driving? How could it possibly fly upwards and get behind your firewall? I saw you posted the same concern on another forum. This happens in many vehicles including my friends BMW X5 and its always related to sunroof seal or drain tubes, or a poor seal on bottom of windshield. I get a kick out of the mystical nature of new models according to dealerships. Again can someone explain what is meant by synthetic factory weld? Aren't all those now done by robots? Maybe there was a bad batch of flux, but I doubt it would be possible for this be systematically missed.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I think they call that sealer stuff "synthetic factory weld" now.
It seems like its harder than silicone, softer than JB weld. It holds the metal together well and has good protection agains rattles, etc.

Hi MQXtrail,

The term "Synthetic Weld" is a term used by the Dealership to describe a factory robot applied sealant application - their terminology, not mine.

The water leak appears to be a widespread problem with the 2014 Rogue and I know this because I have been told that there is chatter about it on the Nissan Tech Site that the Techs at the Dealerships use to communicate with one another, it is also evident from the responses on this web site that more than one or two owners are experiencing the leak.

How the water is getting into the Cabin of the vehicle seems to be a mystery right now, either Nissan does not know, or, they know and are not saying.

The solutions on how to repair the leak are varied and seem to be " Try this and if that does not work try this" approach to repair the leak.

It is not like there is a hole or opening that the water is coming into the cabin through - that would have been found very quickly - but rather a seam or something that the water "seeps" through over a period of time.

If your vehicle is parked inside a garage, or under cover, or you are in an area where you do not get a lot of rain or snow you may not even be aware that you have a leak because the water does not "gush" in like you left a window open or something, but rather, it seeps in over time.

My vehicle is parked outside, we get a lot of rain, and after a few days of steady rain, I have moisture in my vehicle, right now I have one of those "Dri-Air" units that use the moisture pellets placed in my vehicle to absorb moisture.

The Service Department has been great to deal with and right now they are developing a plan to deal with my leak once and for all and once they have a final plan I will post it here.

The reason I posted the problem on another site is that I want to make sure that as many 2014 Rogue Owners as possible know about the problem, it is not isolated to one or two vehicles and it is a lot easier to identify if you know what to look for.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

The bit about the dealership not being able to install the factory carpets as good as the factory is bunk. The carpets are form-fitted to the cabin. They just have to remove all the trim and seats and it's a matter of yanking the old carpet out and putting the new one in. They should check the padding underneath as well for mold or damage. The padding is THICK, so they may need to replace that if there's water that made it to the floorboards where it will not be reachable and will likely cause rust.

I would consider making a case to have your car declared a lemon based on manufacturing defect and get it replaced. If you were able to suck out a gallon and a half of water from the area under the driver's seat, it's likely your entire cabin has been flooded and this car will NEVER be made whole again. Contact your state Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs or whatever the equivalent is to weigh out your options.

Trust me, no one is going to want to buy a flooded car that smells like turd. This may end up on Carfax, resulting in diminished value, and could result in a health hazard if mold starts to grow.

I've been fixing cars for 30 years and have never seen a flood-damaged car that wasn't a basket case.

bsam

I haven't seen water on the driver side floor yet.
Vin 782127

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I wish we had some pictures of the specific seal/weld they are talking about, so owners could check their own vehicles.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i have a feeling the culprit is in the evaporator intake / firewall area. some of the firewall area is in fact "silicone welded".
i would keep checking for water, and bringing it back. 3x's and its a legal LEMON.

you better stay on it, before you end up soaking modules, which wont count under lemon law, because they will replace the module and state it simply malfunctioned - and its unrelated. before you know it, you'll be going to the dealer for a module replacement after every rainstorm. or worse, you'll get stuck somewhere on a dark saturday, and no dealerships will be open in the next 30hours.

whizkidtn
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (AWD), Premium package

Thus far, we haven't found any water leaks with our Rogue :) and we have been in all kinds of wet weather. Perhaps by the 6/14 build date in Smyrna, TN, the engineers found out what was the problem and fixed it. We'll just have to see.

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update to the water leak in my Rogue,

This week the Service Department at the Nissan Dealership I purchased the vehicle from is sending it to a Auto Body Repair Shop where they are going to pressurize the cabin of the vehicle to determine where the water is getting into the cabin from.

The Service Department is confident that this process will solve the mystery of where the water is getting into the cabin from.

Once I have word on what they find I will post it here.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Update:

Nissan Canada has just issued a Service Bulletin concerning the water leak in the 2014 Rogue, finally, an acknowledgement from Nissan Corporate that there is a problem!

My Service Department has had two other Rogues in with the exact same problem has mine since mine went in, I was the first.

My vehicle will be going in next week so they can fix the issue once and for all, they are sending it out to a Body Shop who are going to pressurize the cabin to chase the leak down.

Will advise of outcome.

Another update on the water leaks in my 2014 Nissan Rogue SL with Tech Package.

The vehicle was sent to an outside Body Shop by the Dealer where the vehicle interior was pressure tested to check for leaks.

They found that the repairs done to the previously reported leak in the front of the vehicle were holding and were not the source of the water getting in.

They located a leak at the top of the Rear Hatch where the glass attaches to the frame, they described it has the glass "de-laminating from the frame".

That leak has now been repaired, they removed the glass from the hatch back frame and re-attached it.

I am told that the seats were removed, carpets were dried, anti mold agents were applied as well as the repairs to the glass, the vehicle was away for a 5 full days while they did the work at the third party body shop - more on this below.

The Service Department at the Dealership told me that they have seen other Rogues with the "de-laminated" glass in the hatch back leaking along with others with the water getting in through the fire wall which was the source of the initial leak.

So, I get the vehicle back from the Dealership and notice a rattle coming from the back of the vehicle when driving, so, I take everything out of the back to re-pack to try and find the "new" rattling sound, and when I remove the spare tire I find about 1 inch of water in the well!

This could be another leak, or shoddy clean up by the Body Shop after they repaired the second leak in the Hatch Back.

I am wondering now about the claims of removing the seats and thoroughly drying the interior but at this point in time I really do not care anymore.

I have told the Service Manager that I have lost all confidence in the vehicle, do not enjoy driving it anymore and want the Dealership to buy the vehicle back and give me a screaming discount on another vehicle - I am done!

I have not heard back from the Dealership yet but am taking the vehicle in on Wednesday for them to follow up on the water in the spare tire wheel well.

All I can say is that I am glad that I was parking this vehicle outside and not in a garage because I would not have found these leaks as quickly has I did.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah, that sounds fishy as hell. Keep us posted on the outcome and what the dealer says! Thanks again for the update.

Return to “Rogue Forum”