Sunroof draining into passenger side interior

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
JAKEHAROLD21
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SV

Can anyone help me find access to the sunroof drain outlet..I poured water in the sunroof drain and it's coming out inside and outside of my Rogue

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's coming out inside and out, there's a good chance the drain hose is either kinked or has pulled loose from the nipple at one end. Is it a front or rear that's leaking?

JAKEHAROLD21

Front...I can see it dripping down but not sure where from

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Been awhile since I worked on a gen1, but as I recall the bottom of the hose will be way up the firewall behind the glove box. The top will be underneath the headliner about even with the back edge of the sunvisor. Since some water is coming out underneath, the hose should still be emptying out. That means you can verify if the hose is off a nipple by removing the A-pillar trim. That's easy, it just pops loose and then you disconnect the strap retainers (unscrew if they're screwed, twist 90 deg with a needlenose plier if they're the plastic type). That will let you see any water coming out of the headliner. Carefully pour an ounce or so of water into the drain channel, not enough to fill the hose. If it comes out of the headliner, it means the hose is loose from the top nipple. The corner of the headliner has to drop to repair that. If it comes out on the bottom carpet but none comes out the top, it means the bottom of the hose is off the nipple. If neither one shows water, it means the hose is connected and it's either clogged or kinked. The most likely spot for a kink is right at the bottom nipple, so feel for that part of the hose. If it doesn't feel kinked then just blow the hose clear with compressed air from the top, or snake it with a piece of trimmer line if air isn't available.

JAKEHAROLD21

So I pulled the carpet back , reached in and found the drain hose.. it was still attached to the outlet.. Then I pealed Back the cover on the pillar and the roof cover to check that end. Sure enough the hose was detached. I checked the driver side....also detached...I just bought this car. I'm guessing prior owner had drains blown out with compressor and blew them off...How else would that happen? Anyway I got a great deal on the car and problem is solved.....Thanks a million for responding and your expertise...Much appreciated

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

JAKEHAROLD21 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:51 pm
I'm guessing prior owner had drains blown out with compressor and blew them off...How else would that happen?
Actually, it's not uncommon for hoses to shrink in old age and pull loose by themselves (or during a blowout). GM actually had a major recall over too-short hoses pulling loose at the firewall on many models. Either way, glad you got it fixed!

One more thing, make sure you pop the door sills and check for water in the floorpan. Most Nissans have a 1~2" thick foam spacer underneath the carpet and a plastic liner built into the carpet, so you can get a full inch or so of water in the pan without any visible clue. It will still soak your undercarpets and eventually lead to creeping mold, so it's important to drain and dry it.

JAKEHAROLD21

Yes...I did that and it was full of water...Thanks again...big relief getting that fixed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome! Hit the floorpan and undercarpets with some Lysol Cleaner with Bleach (purple bottle) before they dry out. The genuine Lysol is colorfast vis Nissan's carpet and upholstery materials, some other products aren't. Bleach is the only 100% effective agent, and you want to do it while the undercarpet is still wet so the bleach will percolate into it and kill whatever is in there.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Get a utility spray bottle for the Lysol, though. The sprayers on the Lysol bottles are more spitters than sprayers, and you want a good mist that will cover well.

JAKEHAROLD21

Got it . Thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”