ANYONE GET THE NEW TRANSMISSION UPDATE

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Cory1591

JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE GOT THE UPDATE AND WHAT YOU THINK OF IT. I JUST DID MINE AT RAMSEY NISSAN. MY ROGUE HAVE ALMOST 43000 MILES ABD ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT WORKED MY ONLY THING I AM NOTICING IS THAT EITHER IT HAS A 2 SECOND LAG LIKE A REGULAR 4 5 OR 6 SPEED AUTO HAS OR THE ECM NEEDS TO KNOW YOUR DRIVING STYLE AGAIN. NEED UR OPINION THANKS.

Another questions i would like feedback on. DUE TO THE 08-09 ROGUES HAVING CVT PROBLEMS AS DICUSSED. ALL THOSE WITH THE TIPTRONIC (PADDLE SHIFTER) DO YOU THINK THAT IS WHY THEY NO LONGER OFFER IT IN THE 10 MODELS? THANKS AGAIN
Modified by Cory1591 at 6:32 PM 1/4/2010

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I just received the update last Saturday at Woodfield Nissan in Hoffman Estates, IL and I have also noticed the rattle is gone but have not had any problems with lag. If anything, I would say that my Rogue is much easier to drive in the city because the CVT is more responsive now.

sileung

What is this update for? Is it part of a recall/replacement of the transmission? Or something I can just go into my dealer and ask them to install the new updates into the computer chip?

Cory1591

no doubt that the rattle is gone maybe after a day of driving im not used to the change. but the shifting is definently different then before.

Cory1591

well its part of the campaign there doing on some 08/09 rogues so maybe urs didnt fall under the category. but i still ask

Cypress_1973
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium

I just had the software update on Monday at my dealership. Noticed a huge difference right away. The RPM doesn't drop as low as it used to when starting off from a complete stop. Also noticed a little more get up and go and it seems more responsive. Not as much lag. Update to me seems pretty damn worth it.

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Cypress_1973 wrote:I just had the software update on Monday at my dealership. Noticed a huge difference right away. The RPM doesn't drop as low as it used to when starting off from a complete stop. Also noticed a little more get up and go and it seems more responsive. Not as much lag. Update to me seems pretty damn worth it.
I'm with you Cypress. I never had any noises before but sure runs better now. I have 40000 miles.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Got mine done last week and the dealer fried my TCM module. My Rogue is now dead at the dealers awaiting a new TCM that seems to be on backorder. They are telling me that they don't know what happened. I am an electrical engineer, and I know how static discharge effects electronics. I am sure they weren't careful when they hooked up to the TCM module.

Cory1591

A local dealer that I used to bring my rogue to did the same thing and all they said was sorry. The laptop they used probably sorted out or froze that's what my lincoln tech teacher said I was so pissed I called up consumer affairs and made a report for being careless. But since then no problems

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Cory1591 wrote:JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE GOT THE UPDATE AND WHAT YOU THINK OF IT. I JUST DID MINE AT RAMSEY NISSAN. MY ROGUE HAVE ALMOST 43000 MILES ABD ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT WORKED MY ONLY THING I AM NOTICING IS THAT EITHER IT HAS A 2 SECOND LAG LIKE A REGULAR 4 5 OR 6 SPEED AUTO HAS OR THE ECM NEEDS TO KNOW YOUR DRIVING STYLE AGAIN. NEED UR OPINION THANKS.
Hey Cory, this has been discussed on the big CVT discussion thread as well, check it out here: zer...ge=21

The main thing that I noticed was the rpms stay quite a bit higher at very low "parking lot" speeds, presumably this addresses the slack chain rattle issue. Overall I'm very happy with the reprogram, as there are other instances when the CVT seems to be more responsive, as others have stated.

Cory1591

thanks for the link, but i knew what it does i just thought it wasnt thank. actually today i drove the car and it seemed much better. Not to mention i drive at least 200 miles a day so if something was actually wrong i pin point it right then. i do agree it does seem quicker as the RPM's raise then it did before. almost as good as the altima VQ V6

metabo
Car: 2009 Rogue S AWD

Got the letter from Nissan a couple days before my first oil change was scheduled.

Went to dealer, they checked by VIN and told me I should get the TCM flash update as well as the TPMS recall. They took care of these recalls and the oil change in about 1.5 hours.

Although I had my nissan for only 4 months now and have only ~2600 miles on it, I could immediately feel a difference in how the car accelerates. Actually, to me, it feels a bit LESS CVT-like and more like a traditional automatic tranny. During acceleration to enter highways, I can feel of 3-4 upshifts (like a traditional auto tranny), this seems much more pronounced. Acceleration definitely seems improved. I also noticed at highway speeds (~75mph), RPMs are being held lower. I have never had any low rpm hesitation, lurching, noise, or rattling issues.

So overall, not BLOWN AWAY, as I was perfectly happy with my vehicle pre-update, but YES I DO feel a difference and overall I think it was worthwhile.

Now the question is, will the update help prevent future problems with the tranny? I am guessing there is a good chance it will, and that is why ALL 2008-2009 Rogues going in for any dealership service seems to get this update, whether you ask for it or not!
Modified by metabo at 4:17 PM 12/25/2009

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

They are most likely doing the updates because they can bill for it. Almost all Rogue's as we know have a slight vibration through the steering wheel at 1300 to 1400 rpm. Does the computer flash fix that or is it more for the front end rattle that some people complain about. I am sought of use to these vibrations by know so I most likely will not have it done unless they really insist.

kerrton

Hey psfod3,

No, the reflash hasn't eliminated or changed in any way the vibration at around 1300 rpms that you were referring to, mine still vibrates significantly....although some owners report never having experienced this vibration, which I cannot explain.

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Getting it done tomorrow...see what it actually does...

cd_zzzzz
Car: 2009 Rogue SL

I had the CVT update done this weekend. I could tell the difference instantly. First, the tick, tick, tick noise was gone but when leaving the dealer I quickly discovered the gas pedal really does mean GO! The car is a lot more responsive. I would not have believed this update would have made this much of a difference. I am pleasantly surprised.

2009 Rogue AWD18,500 miles

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

I have a different question in relation to this update. While many have reported noticeable improvements... I'm worried about the possibility of negative effects and wonder if any members believe their Rogue is actually worse off after the update. BTW, I got the "Owner Notification" letter in the mail today.

"Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on certain 2008 to 2009 Nissan Rogues to reduce a subtle rattling noise that may come from the transmission at low speeds. On a small number of vehicles, possibly including yours, the transmission may make this noise." ... "To address this issue, your Nissan dealer will reprogram the Control Module and the Engine control Module on your vehicle, free of charge for parts and labor"

I've installed hundreds of firmware and software updates on computers, televisions, printers, autos, heck... I’ve even installed some on a few of the newer kitchen appliances. For the most part they always improve the operation of the item receiving the update... but in a few rare cases it has made the item so bad I’ve had to back off the update and revert back to the previous version. As you might guess this will be a little difficult to do since the Nissan dealership is the one with the updating equipment.

My concern is…my Rogue has never rattled, kicked, bumped, ticked or vibrated... at any speed. I'd sure hate for this update to introduce a problem considering I don't have any. I’m thinking … “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

As mentioned earlier by another member... its not a matter of requesting this transmission update because dealerships will most likely install the update on your next service call whether you ask for it or not since they get reimbursed from the factory.

Anyway… if after a couple weeks I don't hear of any ill effects in this forum I'll probably let the dealership apply the update and keep my fingers crossed the update doesn't introduce a problem to my perfect Rogue… (and hope they don't fry the module when attempting the update)

Also... several members have reported their Rogues are now zippy'er... after the update... i.e., more responsive to the gas pedal... quicker of the light. While this sounds exciting... I can't help but wonder how this might effect the miles per gallon.
Modified by Elton Noway at 11:40 PM 12/28/2009

maverick_rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 FWD

Hello Elton,

Its a good idea to wait and watch for a few days and then go for update since you have not experienced any issues.

Though, in my understanding, Nissan has included other patches in this update as well. These patches could have been a result of all the data/feedback they have gathered in past two years or so.

At the least, better response from CVT / Engine at 20~ 40 MPH is a good enough reason to go for it.

As you rightly pointed , there are always chances of something going wrong with such software patches ( I know this first hand because I deal with Oracle on this everyday) and at the same time chances of Nissan making positive changes are equally bright.

A few Nissan Owners have reported issues with fried TCM etc, which I believe can happen with any hardware machine (bad sector/ bad circuit or motherboard). Nissan should take care of such cases as well.

Happy driving

metabo
Car: 2009 Rogue S AWD

Elton Noway wrote:I have a different question in relation to this update. While many have reported noticeable improvements... I'm worried about the possibility of negative effects and wonder if any members believe their Rogue is actually worse off after the update. BTW, I got the "Owner Notification" letter in the mail today.

"Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on certain 2008 to 2009 Nissan Rogues to reduce a subtle rattling noise that may come from the transmission at low speeds. On a small number of vehicles, possibly including yours, the transmission may make this noise." ... "To address this issue, your Nissan dealer will reprogram the Control Module and the Engine control Module on your vehicle, free of charge for parts and labor"

I've installed hundreds of firmware and software updates on computers, televisions, printers, autos, heck... I’ve even installed some on a few of the newer kitchen appliances. For the most part they always improve the operation of the item receiving the update... but in a few rare cases it has made the item so bad I’ve had to back off the update and revert back to the previous version. As you might guess this will be a little difficult to do since the Nissan dealership is the one with the updating equipment.

My concern is…my Rogue has never rattled, kicked, bumped, ticked or vibrated... at any speed. I'd sure hate for this update to introduce a problem considering I don't have any. I’m thinking … “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

As mentioned earlier by another member... its not a matter of requesting this transmission update because dealerships will most likely install the update on your next service call whether you ask for it or not since they get reimbursed from the factory.

Anyway… if after a couple weeks I don't hear of any ill effects in this forum I'll probably let the dealership apply the update and keep my fingers crossed the update doesn't introduce a problem to my perfect Rogue… (and hope they don't fry the module when attempting the update)

Also... several members have reported their Rogues are now zippy'er... after the update... i.e., more responsive to the gas pedal... quicker of the light. While this sounds exciting... I can't help but wonder how this might effect the miles per gallon.

Modified by Elton Noway at 11:40 PM 12/28/2009
Hi Elton... I was on the same boat as you... was a bit hesitant, because I had been PERFECTLY happy with how my Rogue drove (at least for the 4 months or so I've had it so far). In the end, when the dealer mentioned I should get that done, figured I wasn't gonna argue, in case the tranny breaks down later and it turns out I shoulda gotten the update when told to. Thinking there is a small chance the update might prevent some situations of mechanical wear or other other problems, but pretty much nil chance of the update itself producing problems. And there's the 10/100,000 to fall back on.

For what it's worth, I'm appreciating the update the more I drive, and no problems introduced by the update for me.

Let's stay tuned regarding the update and gas mileage... but I'm thinking the 2010s probably have this TCM/ECU setup and their mileage is the same, no?

kerrton

Good point metabo,

We can only assume that the Nissan engineers know what they're doing, and this improvemet will not only affect performance but should optimize the operation of the CVT and possibly reduce the risk of abnormal wear and tear. Over the long-term I'm sure it'll be beneficial (as sure as is possible in an uncertain world I guess). Since this knowledge is guarded by Nissan, all we can do is trust them - I'm sure they're much better than, say Microsoft and their almost weekly software patches....

The one improvement that I notice very clearly is the higher rpms at "parking lot" speeds, which is the speed range when the "rattling CVT" issue presented itself. I was told by my service manager that the cause of the CVT rattle was a slack CVT drive chain problem, so presumably the reprogram is addressing this issue by keeping a lower gear ratio (which equals higher rpms) at these low speeds to keep the belt from going slack. Anyone who has heard the rattle instinctively knows this sound = friction and wear. So this new re-program/patch has attempted to eliminate this behavior, which in my opinion should reduce or eliminate the risk of the CVT rattle and the excess wear that accompanies it. Based on this, I'd personally recommend getting the reprogram without hesitation, regardless if you're having problems or not, as it should ensure a long and trouble-free life for your CVT.

If you're apprehensive about it, I don't think there is any reason that you can't wait a few months for peace of mind just to be sure this fix doesn't cause any additional problems.

Keep checking back and I'm sure the Nico forums will be able to provide the most current and up-to-date information based on first-hand owner experiences!

sirbikesalot
Car: Nissan Rogue AWD SL - Wicked Black

Anyone know yet how this update is affecting gas mileage? City/Hwy? My '08 Rogue always gets 22mpg city average. Hwy 24mpg because I drive 70-80mph. I do mostly city driving so hopefully this won't reduce mpg.

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

The dealer put in a new CVT about 6 months ago, and the tranny rattle disappeared. I am getting the updates tomorrow. I want all the improvements that will come, figuring that the engine and transmission controller updates are made to work together.

I also believe that not getting the updates may cause a problem with Nissan later if you have to use the 100,000 mile warrantee on the CVT.

mmyye
Car: blue rogue sl awd, leather premium and moonroof

i did update today, i'm happy with it, my mileage is lots better than before. i can see 20+ mpg in city, that never happen before. i always get like 17 18 in local

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Brought my 2009 Rogue in for routine maintenance and they hijacked it over an entire weekend to do the tranny update and replace some part in the steering gear. They gave me a Sentra to drive (very nice car, top of the line).

Anyway, the Rogue drives great and no noises (not that I noticed much beforehand).

And I got a letter stating my warranty on the CVT has been doubled to 120,000 miles.

sirbikesalot
Car: Nissan Rogue AWD SL - Wicked Black

So I got the update done today, and I did notice a difference. It seems to accelerate better/more smoothly...doesn't seem to either hesitate at the low rpms or immediately jump to the high 3's or 4 like before...seems to stick more around 3 when accelerating, and it does seem peppier. I hope the fuel efficiency improves...seems to rev a bit higher at low speeds, but a bit lower at high speeds. I noted the following:Speed (mph) Revs (000s)60 ~270 275 2.2580 2.5

So it seems to rev a bit higher up to 60mph than before but then sticks there up to 70mph.

MrsRogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL

I have a 2009 got it in March. Will they do the update for any Rogue owner? Is it at a cost or is it free? Cuz my transmission is sluggish after stops, it takes a while to get going after a stop light or sign.

kerrton

MrsRogue, yes the update applies to 08 and 09 Rogues, and yes it is warranty work that won't cost you anything. Just give you dealer a call and they'll advise you further if you wish, but most likely they'll say bring it on in.

DELL
Car: 2010 BLACK ROGUE SL

MrsRogue wrote:I have a 2009 got it in March. Will they do the update for any Rogue owner? Is it at a cost or is it free? Cuz my transmission is sluggish after stops, it takes a while to get going after a stop light or sign.
I assume that a 2010 already has the update?

kerrton

Whether you need the update will depend on the build date of your Rogue, it is impossible to guess if the update was included in the early 2010's or not because we have no way of knowing when the update was completed, we only know when it was released as a recall.

The way to find out is to give your dealer a call, they will be able to tell you immediately if you require the update or if you already have it.

Southpaw75

Did anyone get the update and notice that the ticking noise is still there? This is what happened to me today. Took it in for an oil change and the software update. Left and immediately noticed the same ticking noise still there, especially when turning or going around bends in the road. I'm wondering if they even applied the update or is my noise caused from something else entirely. Not sure what to do now.

Return to “Rogue Forum”