What Broadfield Has Been Up To......

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

^That would be pretty neat to accompany the LS3 swap. Toby, did you re-paint the interior and exterior, is it just the original paint for both? That firewall looks crisp and so do a lot of your underdash/console parts is why I ask.

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

Taran14 wrote:Maybe since its so cold outside.... you can heat up by cutting out your firewall and weld in a Rhd one! :chuckle:
Yeah, I don't know about that one... I'm not a fan of RHD conversions. Since it actually serves as a disadvantage, then it's just gimmicky to me.
homeslicej2 wrote:Toby, did you re-paint the interior and exterior, is it just the original paint for both? That firewall looks crisp and so do a lot of your underdash/console parts is why I ask.
The interior is original. The guy that owned the car before me painted the exterior and engine bay around 6 years ago. I myself have had the entire car painted in the last 2 years by my friends that run a REALLY good paint and body shop. However, when the previous owner had the bay painted, he painted it an off white. I obviously want it to match my exterior color and since I'm filling/shaving the bay, it will need to be painted anyway. So I can get rid of that garbage off white. I will paint the bay myself in the garage at my house. However, I will take the OEM aero to the body shop to make sure it's absolutely perfect.

ka-t4u

wow!!! i haven't checked on this thread in forever!! and now i can't believe what am seeing..... i thought you would settle for a long time with what you had... i know what's coming is going to be mind blowing and amazing but man i thought the sr would last in there a little longer, due to the fact that it was a super baller s15 sr.... but hey keep it up!! keep inspiring the masses(which includes me) with your awesome work!! best of luck on the whole re-build!i'll keep a lookout and keep learning!!

homeslicej2

Broadfield wrote:The interior is original. The guy that owned the car before me painted the exterior and engine bay around 6 years ago. I myself have had the entire car painted in the last 2 years by my friends that run a REALLY good paint and body shop. However, when the previous owner had the bay painted, he painted it an off white. I obviously want it to match my exterior color and since I'm filling/shaving the bay, it will need to be painted anyway. So I can get rid of that garbage off white. I will paint the bay myself in the garage at my house. However, I will take the OEM aero to the body shop to make sure it's absolutely perfect.
Hmm...the previous owner must have taken pretty good care of it too then, or at least stored it indoors. I've had the entire interior of my car out before when I Dynamated the hatch area and installed the stereo system. Some of the brackets and whatnot where a bit rusted, but the car has spent most of it's life outside too. I also want to re-paint my engine bay. Right now it's Satin black, which is fine, but it has a rough texture and holds dirt and dust really well. I'd like to paint it gloss black, or a white that matches the exterior.

Broadfield

ka-t4u wrote:wow!!! i haven't checked on this thread in forever!! and now i can't believe what am seeing..... i thought you would settle for a long time with what you had... i know what's coming is going to be mind blowing and amazing but man i thought the sr would last in there a little longer, due to the fact that it was a super baller s15 sr.... but hey keep it up!! keep inspiring the masses(which includes me) with your awesome work!! best of luck on the whole re-build!i'll keep a lookout and keep learning!!
Well, I had the SR in there for over 4 years... so it's not like I gave up on it per say. Just time for something new and different.

Broadfield

Well, pretty much the only thing left is a long block and transmission. And those are getting pulled out on Sunday. Damon(SolaraOnBronze) is coming down for the weekend and I told him I would wait till he got here to pull the motor. That way he can have the honor of helping me, along with Kyle, pull the last SR this car will ever have:) And it's not like it's going to take long to yank it... there's nothing left.

I also got every last item off the firewall and ready to start prepping for welding up all of the unused holes. Simply pull the carpet back and I'm ready to rock and roll. I'm also still trying to decide if I want to do an A/C setup with the LS... decisions, decisions.

Ahhh, the lovely engine and chassis harness... bye-bye!

Razi
Car: Moo

Is an A/C setup difficult for the swap?

I don't use A/C that much, but I'd go with one if it's not too difficult to setup.

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

God bless America. Can't wait to fap to this swap when it's done. ;)

Ugh... wrenching in freezing weather is much less fun. Props to you for having the cajones to work through it.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Go with the A/C setup. You'll want it running around Nashville this summer. Even if you don't use it, it'll be nice to have in reserve.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Your dog's beard is epic. And nice work as always. You try out those 8" hybrid audio subs yet?

NicG90
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx LE

Holy hell alot has changed with your car toby since the 2010 Broadfield cookout. You think it will be anywhere near done by the 2011 BBQ? but regardless I cant wait to see it. Hope your having another BBQ this summer my car changed alot. I dont know if you remember it but it was the the really clean 100% stock white hatch. Keep up the good work man your car is mind blowing

Broadfield

NicG90 wrote:Holy hell alot has changed with your car toby since the 2010 Broadfield cookout. You think it will be anywhere near done by the 2011 BBQ? but regardless I cant wait to see it. Hope your having another BBQ this summer my car changed alot. I dont know if you remember it but it was the the really clean 100% stock white hatch. Keep up the good work man your car is mind blowing
Well it only took a few nights to get it completely torn down from when you saw it at the cookout. I plan to have this done way before the cookout.... early July if not sooner. Hope to see you at the next cookout!

Broadfield

Got the motor out yesterday. Damon(SolaraOnBronze) came down for the weekend, so I purposely waited till this weekend to yank the motor. So Damon, Kyle and a couple other friends stopped by to help/watch.

Yanked all of the goodies off of it and it's ready for it's new home... unfortunately it doesn't have one yet :frown:

A quick snap of the late night crew. Left to right: Jeff, Kyle and Damon

So I'll probably drop the cross member one of the nights this week then start prepping the bay for welding.

nando
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx se
1989 nissan 240sx

what are you going to do for the burn through?

bedliner is a good idea for the spots you can cover and maybe some 3m rust fighter for the rails and everything you cant get at

Speckid4
Car: 1995 240sx
1993 240sx

Saw your pedals on your blog, what kind of pedals are those? lol

Broadfield

nando wrote:what are you going to do for the burn through?

bedliner is a good idea for the spots you can cover and maybe some 3m rust fighter for the rails and everything you cant get at
Most likely POR15 then 3M under coating.
Speckid4 wrote:Saw your pedals on your blog, what kind of pedals are those? lol
Z33 pedals

SolaraOnBronze
Car: 1993 240sx SR20DET

It's getting good now!

Broadfield

Got some fairly good news this week. Sikky is going to give me the hook-up on their gear. Then also allow me to test new upcoming product. I was also contacted by Stance to run their new XR line of coilovers. Then Chase from Chase Bays and I are working out some trade for a full mil-spec harness, tucked radiator and new power steering reservoir with AN lines. I think I'm also going to buy all of my AN fittings through him instead of Summit/Jegs like I usually do. Better pricing and the company he gets them from can even do custom color setups if necessary. They basically supply all of the aerospace type facilities, military etc. with their AN gear. So it's not something you can buy from a store. I also received my LS3 "engine controller kit" today. It's pretty cool because it has the fuse box and everything. I've never purchased a harness like this before... I'm always use to the SR harness. The harness is going to Chase so he can compare it to his and make sure his harness is complete with everything I need. The kit also includes the ECU, MAF sensor, weld-on MAF boss, drive-by-wire gas pedal and 2 oxygen sensors with weld-on boss.

Razi

Wow!
Broadfield getting the hookups!

About that gas pedal, are you gonna modify that one for the 350z pedal cover too?

Broadfield

Razi wrote:
About that gas pedal, are you gonna modify that one for the 350z pedal cover too?
LOL, no idea man... that's the least of my concerns at the moment ;)

But I'm sure it will be taken care of one way or another. Now that I'm going to have a Chevy V8 motor, I figured it would be appropriate to have one of these as my gas pedal:

Oh... and grow out a mullet.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Don't forget the spittoon in the cupholder.. oh snap, now you're gonna have to install a cup holder!

homeslicej2

Wow, definitely some serious hook-ups. That's what happens when you take the time to do things right. People notice and want to be a part of it. Congrats.

JoseBronx

Broadfield wrote:I also got every last item off the firewall and ready to start prepping for welding up all of the unused holes. Simply pull the carpet back and I'm ready to rock and roll. I'm also still trying to decide if I want to do an A/C setup with the LS... decisions, decisions.
you should :dblthumb: would it be possible to control it with the DCC?

Broadfield

Kyle came over real quick and helped me drop out the cross member and the rest of the front suspension:

This is what I'm left with after the tear down... thank God I decided to organize it all:

Razi

Broadfield wrote:
Razi wrote:
LOL, no idea man... that's the least of my concerns at the moment ;)

But I'm sure it will be taken care of one way or another. Now that I'm going to have a Chevy V8 motor, I figured it would be appropriate to have one of these as my gas pedal:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/spideraccessories_2143_5307236

Oh... and grow out a mullet.
:rotfl

I think you mentioned this previously, but are you going to weld and shave the holes in the engine bay before the repaint?

Broadfield

Razi wrote:I think you mentioned this previously, but are you going to weld and shave the holes in the engine bay before the repaint?
I could tell you to search, it's been discussed several times in this thread. But since I like you, I'll save you the hassle :)

This whole thing actually started out to just shave/fill the bay, paint it body color, brake line tuck and booster delete. Then I figured if I'm tearing the whole damn thing out, what's the point of putting the same damn thing back in... so I decided to do an LS3 swap. Then I decided to do an entire new custom chassis harness and fuse box. Then OEM K's aero. Then a new cluster, then...... who knows what!?! I'm out of control to say the least. On top of that I want to have it all done by July.

Razi

:rotfl
:couch

Broadfield out of control = good results. :gapteeth:

I look forward to more updates. :banana:

angelscrx

You are an automotive god! You projects always start in one place and somehow always seem to end up some where better!

Broadfield

angelscrx wrote:You are an automotive god! You projects always start in one place and somehow always seem to end up some where better!
Haha, thanks man!

In case anyone missed it, I'm also getting rid of all the Defi gear along with the custom cluster, HUD shroud and center vent. You can find the for sale ad here:

fs-s13-defi-link-gauge-package-cluster- ... 25674.html

I have decided to go with some form of race display. I initially was set on the Stack piece because of it's simplicity in style and it's classic look. However, the AIM Sports display will hook into the CAN data bus system of the LS3 ECU and utilize all of the OEM sensors. It's literally a 4 wire hook up: IGN, ground, CAN hi and CAN low. No sensors, no nothing. The only problem, the thing is ugly! So as usual, if you haven't noticed with me, I take a product and modify it to make it better. I usually do this with a lot of the parts I buy. So here is my plan as of now....

This will be retrofitted into my cluster as follows: My thought is first get rid of the lower section of the unit. There appears to be a perfect overhang there that I can hide the lower section below the bottom of the cluster surround. So I would simply mount the unit so that straight edge is touching the bottom of the cluster surround. The lower section would be "dropped" down out of sight. I would then relocate those buttons in that section to somewhere else. The RPM waring lights at the top are perfectly fine and obviously very useful. But the programmable alert lights on either side are just plain fugly. So I would at the very least disassemble the unit so I can repaint the housing and not have the text "AL 1 - AL 6" on there. Maybe even remove the indicators and fill them in smooth before I paint it. I could then always relocate the warning indicators to somewhere else or even use my own LED's in whatever color I choose.

Razi

Awesome plans as usual.

So, is the center A/C vent coming back?
I hope you can keep your DCC and make it able to control the LS's A/C compressor!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”