Towing

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Lilifixit
Car: 2008 Infinity EX35

I want to tow a small sailboat with my 2008 EX34. The boat weighs 700 lbs. Not sure what the trailer weighs. I'm aware the manual does not recommend towing, but I know people tow this same boat with things like VW Jettas or Golfs, and that Curt does make a hitch for our car. Also see that the whole load rating for this car is only is 860 lbs! Anyone know anything about this? Thanks! :wavey: :ohno:

macgiver

mac, I'm really not being a wiseguy , but it sounds like YOU are the one who already knows it shouldn't be done with that vehicle (forget the Jettas & Golfs) . :crazy: Then again they'll "Rag" me as MR SAFETY :rotflmao All that OSHA safety stuff :rotflmao in my UNION training ! G

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

There have been others here who have towed with their EX and haven't really had any issues.

Here are a few threads in the forum about towing:
towing-experiences-t612822.html
cannot-tow-a-trailer-with-ex37-t567675.html
towing-t522414.html

The only issue I can remember is that the hitch receiver comes in close proximity with an exhaust component (heat shield maybe?) and they come into contact on occasion, causing some noise. Should you choose to install a hitch yourself or get it professionally done, take note that a bit of metal work may have to done (I don't recall if it's the hitch receiver or heat shield) to keep that noise away.

We all pretty much know that this car is technically capable of towing. I think more than anything it may be a liability issue since Infiniti does not recommend it; so that might be your biggest risk. And it looks like you are well out of the warranty period, so any mechanical problems as a result of towing would be on you anyway. As long as you're smart about it and play things safe, I think you'll be fine.

Lilifixit
Car: 2008 Infinity EX35

Thanks to Mac and NJguy for their replies. I'll let ya'll know how it goes in a couple of months. Probably should have said, it's a V6, though I get that issues are probably more around cooling and transmission wear than power.

macgiver

mac, be careful ,cause reason why, as previously stated " some have no issues" - "Dead men tell no tales" :rotflmao

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I have a hitch on mine, but use it for a mountain bike rack. That said, I read somewhere that the towing capacity, at least for my AWD model was around 1500lbs. Pretty much enough to pull a jetski or the like. I haven't actually tried though, so TIFWIW.

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

I have a Curt on my EX. Besides using it for a bike rack, or pulling a small trailer with kayaks, I use it to pull a 2 up clamshell snowmobile trailer in the winter. Each sled weighs 600 lbs or so, plus there is the weight of the trailer itself. The engine has so much power that it is easy to forget the trailer is back there. I do not think you would have any difficulty with a 700 lb sailboat. The EX had the same engine and I believe rear suspension as the FX (QX 70), which was rated to tow. The Curt fits on but it has a couple of metal ears (for lack of a better term) that can hit the exhaust on bumps (I don't recall specifically where, and my daughter has the car now). The original installer had to lower one of the two a bit to get that to stop. After a rearender and a body shop's new installation I had the same problem. Their solution was to bend the ears. I am not sure why a hitch custom designed for the car would have that problem, but it can be remedied and seems to be the only option for a hitch. Never had any problem with the tranny, overheating, breaking, etc.. Also never had any comment from my dealer about it, but then I never needed warranty work that related to suspension. I now have 114k on the car so could care less what Infinity thinks about it.

mrzuzzo
Car: '08 EX35 Journey AWD

Yeah, I've towed a bunch of things with the Curt hitch, including a totally loaded enclosed trailer. No problems at all.

steveh2011
Car: 2011 EX 35

I just put a curt hitch on mine (2011 EX). The hitch looks well built. A bit of pain to put on. The rods (which are just bolts) are part of the hitch and used for the exhaust hanger are too small for the rubber hangers which I was a disappointed with.

Even though the hitch looks strong the uni body frame on the EX is pretty thin. Im not planning to overload mine.

Steve

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”