Took My M To The Dragstrip

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
TheMajesticKing
Car: '11 M56S Aero

DFW2011M56S wrote:
Ilya wrote:Mine is still a little sluggish and for some reason my rep doesn't seem to ever know if they did any of the transmission updates, etc. Going to have to try one more time as I'm about 5kmi left of warranty and will take it in when I get close to do a last thorough 'once over' on the car.
The only time I notice mine getting sluggish is in temps over 90° outside. Once you drive it a few miles in hot temps it becomes a DOG. I think it is Oil temp and IAT temp related. The transmission also starts acting very sluggish. It starts upshifting and locking the torque converter very early and lugs the engine at 1,200-1,500 rpm. You nearly have to floor it to get it to unlock the converter or downshift. My hope is a couple of added resistors to the IAT circuits and an engine oil cooler will fix this. I do not even attempt to hotlap my car at the track. I have been parking near the staging area and pop the hood and let it cool down 30-45 minutes between passes. I have been making passes with the engine in the 140-160°F range. I may also add a transmission cooler when the bumper comes off.
It's definitely oil temp related. Once temps go above 190+ (at least on mine) the ECU pulls timing. It was nearly impossible for me to run my car hard in the summer.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

DFW2011M56S wrote:
Ilya wrote:Mine is still a little sluggish and for some reason my rep doesn't seem to ever know if they did any of the transmission updates, etc. Going to have to try one more time as I'm about 5kmi left of warranty and will take it in when I get close to do a last thorough 'once over' on the car.
The only time I notice mine getting sluggish is in temps over 90° outside. Once you drive it a few miles in hot temps it becomes a DOG. I think it is Oil temp and IAT temp related. The transmission also starts acting very sluggish. It starts upshifting and locking the torque converter very early and lugs the engine at 1,200-1,500 rpm. You nearly have to floor it to get it to unlock the converter or downshift.
This is almost exactly what I'm experiencing...it's annoying. Especially when pulling out of a parking lot like a shopping center trying to beat traffic coming...the first second or to it just does nothing. Or coming out of a corner in the backroads.

DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

TheMajesticKing wrote:
DFW2011M56S wrote:
The only time I notice mine getting sluggish is in temps over 90° outside. Once you drive it a few miles in hot temps it becomes a DOG. I think it is Oil temp and IAT temp related. The transmission also starts acting very sluggish. It starts upshifting and locking the torque converter very early and lugs the engine at 1,200-1,500 rpm. You nearly have to floor it to get it to unlock the converter or downshift. My hope is a couple of added resistors to the IAT circuits and an engine oil cooler will fix this. I do not even attempt to hotlap my car at the track. I have been parking near the staging area and pop the hood and let it cool down 30-45 minutes between passes. I have been making passes with the engine in the 140-160°F range. I may also add a transmission cooler when the bumper comes off.
It's definitely oil temp related. Once temps go above 190+ (at least on mine) the ECU pulls timing. It was nearly impossible for me to run my car hard in the summer.
It was 106° on Friday here. I have noticed the same and when it is hot it has NO POWER anywhere. Its even worse in the 5,000-6,200 rpm range than it is out of the hole!!! It just revs and makes NO power.

It is so bad I just cruise when it is 90° or above outside because flooring it actually makes it go slower!

TheMajesticKing
Car: '11 M56S Aero

DFW2011M56S wrote:
TheMajesticKing wrote: It's definitely oil temp related. Once temps go above 190+ (at least on mine) the ECU pulls timing. It was nearly impossible for me to run my car hard in the summer.
It was 106° on Friday here. I have noticed the same and when it is hot it has NO POWER anywhere. Its even worse in the 5,000-6,200 rpm range than it is out of the hole!!! It just revs and makes NO power.

It is so bad I just cruise when it is 90° or above outside because flooring it actually makes it go slower!
Yep. It's not just you. My car used to cut the throttle by 50% once it went above 5800-6000rpm. It's one of the main reasons I sold the car.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Glad I ain't the only one. Carry on fellas.

DFW2011M56S

TheMajesticKing wrote:
DFW2011M56S wrote:

Yep. It's not just you. My car used to cut the throttle by 50% once it went above 5800-6000rpm. It's one of the main reasons I sold the car.
My Titan used to do the same thing before I created my own throttle map and ditched Uprevs map. It would go into full limp mode and have no pedal response if it tagged the 6,200 rpm limiter on Uprevs map. After my own map it would limit where I had it set at 6,400. It knocked 3 tenths off the 1/4 mile not tagging the throttle kill 2 times during the pass. Stock TCM wouldn't shift the stupid thing fast enough to keep it from over-reving. When it is cool outside though, my M56 pulls like a freight train to 6,700 and stays at WOT. Its not until it get hot outside that it starts acting stupid.

I wonder how our cars would respond to a G37/Q50 throttle map. Those suckers rev clean up to 7,500 rpm with NO lag or dead spots. Just limit it out about 6,800.

DFW2011M56S

I may just have to do what I don't want to do and spend more money because Uprev is lame with our cars and wants $200 more on top of the $700 I spent for my Titan to support our car. It would actually be interesting to see if the throttle map I made for the Titan would run in the car. It was very stable and had a very linear feel. More pedal, more throttle as opposed to the stock map that was delayed from WOT until 35 mph and closed partially after the 1-2 shift at 45 mph only to stay partially closed until 55 mph where it finally stayed WOT.

I also found playing with the Torque map settings, I was able to get the Titan transmission to actually upshift earlier. Helped because the torque curve fell off badly above 5,600 rpm. Shifting at 5,800 compared to 6,200 helped ALOT.

DFW2011M56S

I found alot of information in this thread on throttle mapping when I was messing with the Titan.

http://www.the370z.com/tuning/43384-smo ... uprev.html

Ilya

UpRev is fine for the casual user (and is only $500 or so) who doesn't go to the track. Read: Me. I love my UpRev.

DFW2011M56S

Also forgot to mention 660 ohms of resistance or two 330 ohm resistors soldered in series soldered in series with the IAT signal wire (wires on our cars since we have two IATs) will reduce the IAT reading by about 8-20°. More in hotter weather and less in cooler weather(the variance due to the IATs own resistance curve). Really helps keep the throttle response good in warmer weather by tricking the ECU into not retarding the timing. I have not done the M56 yet, but worked wonders on the Titan.
Last edited by DFW2011M56S on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DFW2011M56S

Ilya wrote:UpRev is fine for the casual user (and is only $500 or so) who doesn't go to the track. Read: Me. I love my UpRev.
For someone who tunes GMs with HPTuners and has worked with ECU code on older GM ECMs I find Uprev very lacking. Its bad when Uprev themselves admits they don't know exactly how some of the tables they have (very limited number) work.

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

DFW2011M56S wrote:No problem! Was diving a bit off the timing chain portion but I was actually shocked and still am that the chains made that much difference. I did have two guides that were metal to metal with the chain though and it may have been causing some timing retard from the knock sensor picking up the noise.

I am actually kind of glad you put my post in this thread. It is actually a perfect example of what I was saying anyway!

M56x that is heavier and has higher drivetrain losses trapped 84.4 mph in similar weather conditions stock.
What you got done to your car? I was confused I guess never saw a trap speed like that for an M56. Majestic trapped 86.75 with a decatted custom exhaust and Uprev tune. Seems like nobody really races these though so not a lot to compare to. But he is #1 on dragtimes list.

Ilya

DFW2011M56S wrote:Also forgot to mention 660 ohms of resistance or two 330 ohm resistors soldered in series soldered in series with the IAT signal wire (wires on our cars since we have two IATs) will reduce the IAT reading by about 8-20°. More in hotter weather and less in cooler weather(the variance due to the IATs own resistance curve). Really helps keep the throttle response good in warmer weather by tricking the ECU into not retarding the timing. I have not done the M56 yet, but worked wonders on the Titan.
Curious to see how this turns out and what the long term effects are or if the soldering has any negative effects.
DFW2011M56S wrote:
Ilya wrote:UpRev is fine for the casual user (and is only $500 or so) who doesn't go to the track. Read: Me. I love my UpRev.
For someone who tunes GMs with HPTuners and has worked with ECU code on older GM ECMs I find Uprev very lacking. Its bad when Uprev themselves admits they don't know exactly how some of the tables they have (very limited number) work.
I dunno but it's fine for me.

DFW2011M56S

DredM56 wrote:
DFW2011M56S wrote:No problem! Was diving a bit off the timing chain portion but I was actually shocked and still am that the chains made that much difference. I did have two guides that were metal to metal with the chain though and it may have been causing some timing retard from the knock sensor picking up the noise.

I am actually kind of glad you put my post in this thread. It is actually a perfect example of what I was saying anyway!

M56x that is heavier and has higher drivetrain losses trapped 84.4 mph in similar weather conditions stock.
What you got done to your car? I was confused I guess never saw a trap speed like that for an M56. Majestic trapped 86.75 with a decatted custom exhaust and Uprev tune. Seems like nobody really races these though so not a lot to compare to. But he is #1 on dragtimes list.
Not sure there, but I also put down 382/390 stock on a Dynojet and 390/410 with K&Ns, 2° advance and a 170°F thermostat as the only mods. Last dyno was 425/434 on the same Dynojet.

His heavy wheel/tire combo is surely not helping his trap speed. Also seem to remember him running a 2.25" X-pipe setup that is too small for these engines as well as OEM mufflers.

I also seem to remember a car that lost power trying to adjust the timing with Uprev. I seem to remember it being Majestic's car as well. Then Majestic even said his launch felt weak on his best run.

From personal experience the 100 hp weaker VK56DE in my Titan gained 20 rwhp near redline merely ditching the secondary cats and replacing them with 2.5" pipes built to go into their place. I saw those gains despite still having the 2 1/8" od (1.97" ID) factory exhaust tubing into a magnaflow muffler. I never dyno'd the truck or ran it after, but before I sold it, I was running a 2.5" to 3.5" merge Y and a 3.5" single in/single out magnaflow. It was running GREAT with that setup.

My 5,300 lbs truck picked up 7-8 mph and dropped nearly a full second in the 1/8 from a cold air, hypertech tune, thermostat, B-pipe cat delete and muffler swap. Our cars are 1,200 lbs lighter and start out nearly 100 hp more. After mods the truck was putting down 334/402 on the same Dynojet I ran my car on and ran 78 mph 1/8 mile traps fairly consistently.

DFW2011M56S

This was a clip of my car bone stock. I hit 80 mph in 7 seconds even spinning a little and chirping the tires on the 1-2 shift on a section of road that has a slight uphill grade. Traction control was on so it was pulling some power from the wheelspin even in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeXX5tNewoI

This one was bone stock as well, out of a light and headed up an on-ramp. From 60 mph and beyond it was climbing a bit of a hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySb8r_W3vN4

I actually made a couple of videos today while I was driving around also Cipher logging it. IATs were over 120°F and oil temp stayed over 210°F. Talk about a DOG. I was only seeing about 18° of timing advance and the throttle plates were 1/2 closing in the 5,500 rpm range. It is a weird feeling to listen to the engine rev and sound so choked at the same time. Even still my tires took some punishment as soon as I got on it both times.
Last edited by DFW2011M56S on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilya

DFW2011M56S wrote:
DredM56 wrote:
Not sure there, but I also put down 382/390 stock on a Dynojet and 390/410 with K&Ns, 2° advance and a 170°F thermostat as the only mods. Last dyno was 425/434 on the same Dynojet.

His heavy wheel/tire combo is surely not helping his trap speed. Also seem to remember him running a 2.25" X-pipe setup that is too small for these engines as well as OEM mufflers.

I also seem to remember a car that lost power trying to adjust the timing with Uprev. I seem to remember it being Majestic's car as well. Then Majestic even said his launch felt weak on his best run.

From personal experience the 100 hp weaker VK56DE in my Titan gained 20 rwhp near redline merely ditching the secondary cats and replacing them with 2.5" pipes built to go into their place. I saw those gains despite still having the 2 1/8" od (1.97" ID) factory exhaust tubing into a magnaflow muffler. I never dyno'd the truck or ran it after, but before I sold it, I was running a 2.5" to 3.5" merge Y and a 3.5" single in/single out magnaflow. It was running GREAT with that setup.

My 5,300 lbs truck picked up 7-8 mph and dropped nearly a full second in the 1/8 from a cold air, hypertech tune, thermostat, B-pipe cat delete and muffler swap. Our cars are 1,200 lbs lighter and start out nearly 100 hp more. After mods the truck was putting down 334/402 on the same Dynojet I ran my car on and ran 78 mph 1/8 mile traps fairly consistently.
What does the 170*F thermostat do/help? I believe my timing is advanced 2* but will have to check with Seymore (Joe - who did my tune).

DFW2011M56S

Ilya wrote:
DFW2011M56S wrote:

What does the 170*F thermostat do/help? I believe my timing is advanced 2* but will have to check with Seymore (Joe - who did my tune).
It helps keep the ECU from pulling as much timing when the engine is up to operating temp. Nissan actually makes a Nismo 62°C (144°F) thermostat for a 300ZX that would work in our engines, but when I tried it in the Titan it would throw codes for the thermostat function in cooler weather. The cooler thermostat helps keep the IATs lower as well by keeping the engine and engine compartment cooler. Someday if I decide to pay Uprev another $200 I may revisit that thermostat. I just turned the ECUs ability to throw that code off in the Titan.

DFW2011M56S

Cooling system conversation actually has me thinking of something as well. Have any of you heard multiple cooling fan speeds in our cars? I know most Nissans have dual speed fans. The 2016 Q50 loaner I drove had dual speed fans. In the mornings the fans would stay on the lower speed. In the afternoon they were noticeably louder. I have never heard the fans in my M56 kick on a higher speed even at 200°F. Going down the highway my car runs 178°F. Get in traffic for a few minutes and it is over 200°F. Does not seem right to me. I am coming from a Titan with a mechanical fan that would hold the temps under 185°F in all driving conditions though. I guess I have some more investigation to do. It would be interesting to see an Uprev file for a M56 as well. I am kinda curious if the fan temps are adjustable like the auxiliary fan on the Titan was. If I were to run the cooler thermostat it would be nice to have the fans on high speed by 160°F to help keep things cool. I bet the a/c would stay even colder as well.

Ilya

How much do these thermostats run? And is it a hard job to do? What is the best one for this car? The car is plenty powerful for me, honestly, so I'm more interested in eeking out efficiency, keeping the engine bay (and thus engine) cooler, etc. This is why I did mods like the plenum spacer on the M35x I had...but alas, as far as I know, no one makes thermal spacers for the M56/VK56DE. We're pretty much limited to intake tubes and exhaust on this car + tune. Almost no bolt ons.

DFW2011M56S

Ilya wrote:How much do these thermostats run? And is it a hard job to do? What is the best one for this car? The car is plenty powerful for me, honestly, so I'm more interested in eeking out efficiency, keeping the engine bay (and thus engine) cooler, etc. This is why I did mods like the plenum spacer on the M35x I had...but alas, as far as I know, no one makes thermal spacers for the M56/VK56DE. We're pretty much limited to intake tubes and exhaust on this car + tune. Almost no bolt ons.
The 170 you can get at Oreillys for less than $20 and the gasket is about $4.00 from Infiniti. The Nismo is ALOT more. I think I paid $120 for it at employee price 4 or so years ago. I took it out of the Titan and kept it when I traded the truck.

Its a shame the two biggest HP gains we could make are not out there to be had. American Racing headers and high flow cats gain about 40 RWHP on a QX56. The exhaust cam profile is also very mild compared to the VVEL intake cam system. Exhaust cams could gain 30-40 hp more with a decent set of headers. 1 7/8" long tube headers + high flow cats + exhaust cams + higher stall or maybe even a V6 torque converter would turn these cars into a MONSTER. TCM tuning would also be a great thing to have. Imagine a cammed VK56VD using the 3.36 gears from the M37 and a high stall allowing the transmission to shift at 7,000 rpm in drive after stalling 2,800 rpm on the launch. The lower ends in these engines can hold a stupid amount of RPM. It is the factory valve springs and cam profile that holds them back. Hopefully our internal engine aftermarket will step up now that this engine is being used in the new Titan too.

I actually emailed American Racing headers asking if they had plans to build headers for our cars with NO REPLY!!!

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/Ne ... X56-models
https://americanracingheaders.com/Produ ... ductID/830
Last edited by DFW2011M56S on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilya

The new Titan is using the exact same VK (dual intake)? Last I knew they had a slightly different one with a single intake. That would be promising if it is in fact our exact engine.

As for the thermostat, I see only 180* ones at Advance Auto (we don't have O'Reilly's here). I see some on Autozone that are like 195*, etc.

DFW2011M56S

This is the reason I say we need cams!!!

This is a cammed VK56DE still running the long runner truck intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJALiPmzAEg

DFW2011M56S

Ilya wrote:The new Titan is using the exact same VK (dual intake)? Last I knew they had a slightly different one with a single intake. That would be promising if it is in fact our exact engine.

As for the thermostat, I see only 180* ones at Advance Auto (we don't have O'Reilly's here). I see some on Autozone that are like 195*, etc.
The intake is the same as the QX, the engine itself internally is the same as our car.

The 170°F I run is for a 1995 300ZX. You cut a small piece off the back and it works great.

DredM56

I like those numbers sounds promising. Seems like that dyno likely reads a little high but the gains from so little is awesome.

The car is very inconsistent in general it seems which I hate you never have confidence the power will be there. I want a throttle like my Subaru. It just acts like a cable operated throttle

Despite that at the track it was actually very consistent making 4 passes all in less than a half hour. First three were 13.4x last one was only when different 13.5 but I tried to launch from 1500 and it acted like it didn't know what to do while shifting.

Oil cooler and lower thermostat a good idea I noticed how hot this thing gets in the heat.

How are you advancing the timing without uprev? Just 2° across the board mechanically.

This is why there's no parts for this car though we need more discussion and talk like this on the site.

DFW2011M56S

DredM56 wrote:I like those numbers sounds promising. Seems like that dyno likely reads a little high but the gains from so little is awesome.

The car is very inconsistent in general it seems which I hate you never have confidence the power will be there. I want a throttle like my Subaru. It just acts like a cable operated throttle

Despite that at the track it was actually very consistent making 4 passes all in less than a half hour. First three were 13.4x last one was only when different 13.5 but I tried to launch from 1500 and it acted like it didn't know what to do while shifting.

Oil cooler and lower thermostat a good idea I noticed how hot this thing gets in the heat.

How are you advancing the timing without uprev? Just 2° across the board mechanically.

This is why there's no parts for this car though we need more discussion and talk like this on the site.

You can advance the base timing 2° with Consult. Basically adds 2° across everything, including idle. Running Bullydog's tune using their handheld you can go 4°. Running 93 octane, I started at 0° and moved up 1° at a time until I got the quickest 0-60 logs.

Really do not feel that the dyno in question reads that high. My car with the setup I made 390/410 with put down more trap speed in the 1/8 than Majestiks car did after Uprev and Exhaust mods. Same day I watched about 10 other vehicles dyno'd that all seemed to be about where they should be. I saw a 1990 Suburban put down an amazing 120 hp.

DFW2011M56S

Also I had my Express van I tow my travel trailer on the same dyno while tuning it after a cam swap. With a 350 making 300-320 hp at the engine and 380-400 ft/lbs, it put down 230/303 to the tires. The massive 4L80E and 10.5" GM 14-bolt eat about 25% of whatever engine is in front of them. Dyno seems fairly accurate to me and at most 10-20 hp optimistic.

I watched a stock 3/4 ton Suburban with the 340 hp 8.1L vortec dyno right before the Express. It put down a boring for a big block 240 RWHP and only 340 RWTQ.

DredM56

Just thought 380 stock seemed high that is only 10% loss.I would never say this car felt like they under-rated it. Other one seems right. Either way you're clearly making power. I thought uprev was the only options we had that's nice to know. Consult is super expensive though right? HAve to look at the other one.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

UpRev does have the option to change the timing advance / delay based on the temperature. I noticed when tuning my ETC after a few runs the car would get hot and would limp a bit in the high RPMs. As far as ETC tuning, good luck, I messed with it for so long, must have flashed over 60 ETC maps, and although I found some that worked very well I just couldnt get the shifting to line up with it. Some changes in the ETC table seems to cause strange throttle issues as well.

If UpRev could put a little more research in to the M56/Q70 I think we could really release some ponies. My feeling is the car was dumbed down a lot in Infinitis efforts to keep it a luxury cruising car and to aim for better fuel economy. I am hoping with the 5.6L continuing in the Q70 more people purchase the car and more people get into tuning.

I have contacted UpRev numerous times and have never received any response. Maybe if we write to them on behalf of the members here we can get a response?

Ilya

adeedpb wrote:UpRev does have the option to change the timing advance / delay based on the temperature. I noticed when tuning my ETC after a few runs the car would get hot and would limp a bit in the high RPMs. As far as ETC tuning, good luck, I messed with it for so long, must have flashed over 60 ETC maps, and although I found some that worked very well I just couldnt get the shifting to line up with it. Some changes in the ETC table seems to cause strange throttle issues as well.

If UpRev could put a little more research in to the M56/Q70 I think we could really release some ponies. My feeling is the car was dumbed down a lot in Infinitis efforts to keep it a luxury cruising car and to aim for better fuel economy. I am hoping with the 5.6L continuing in the Q70 more people purchase the car and more people get into tuning.

I have contacted UpRev numerous times and have never received any response. Maybe if we write to them on behalf of the members here we can get a response?
Nope. UpRev is notorious for ignoring customer requests for support unless it's something super serious. They generally want dealers doing the customer service. UpRev (I think) is a nice piece of kit...but their customer support is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS.

DredM56

Finally got back to the track. Air was good 200' DA I had a weird experience though. The car has been feeling better since the recall work. Been having issues with brake light and traction control light coming on under acceleration sometimes though.

First pass at the track felt like a dog again when it shifted to second lights came on and stayed on and it ran a 14.1@103. I wanted to drive into the wall. Second pass tried manual felt much better lights came on like half track I let off then got back on it to see if they would go out and ran 13.65@104.

Final pass manual mode stayed in it and it ran 13.27@108. Lights came on at half track. Something still doesn't seem right it should of ran that just from da change. Seems like it's pulling power after the lights come on. Bringing it in Monday to figure it out.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”