So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
SmallCity765
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby SmallCity765 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I will read this entire forum and hopeful answer most of my laundry list of questions. I am a longstanding member on a bmx forum so I too hate it when people do this. Apologies for posting prior to investigation.


SmallCity765
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby SmallCity765 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Alright. First off, AZhitman I can't believe you've answered the same questions year in and year out about this subject. Kudos to you. I got some of my questions answered and some of them still loom out there.
*I can't store the car until 2020 because it is not coming from its original country of origin.
*Cars aren't getting crushed, but worst case scenario is they could be.

Unanswered questions:
*Could you part these seized & auctioned cars out stateside? This is sacrelige to me, but is it possible?
*Do you have to do anything to own these cars and just have them in your garage or can the govt just take them based on the fact they're in the US.

This car went at auction today for $5500, which is absurd to me considering its a GTR. I ended up winning the auction but no money has changed hands yet. If I can own this car and just take it to the track Im heavily considering it
Image

tittitbangbang
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:07 pm
Car: 06 nissan 350z

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby tittitbangbang » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 pm

man i read all of it... this guy have a r32 92 with the wisconsin title and the guys seem to be honest about it... what really inrested in his vehicle is because he have the form from japan with english translate, the bill of sales, the bills of lading, and he have wiscoinsin title for the car and rehgistration also ( Currently US TITLE and successfull registration ) but he also hold canana title and registration from canada too... so can AZHITMAN help me and answer me ?

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby AZhitman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:12 pm

SmallCity765 wrote:I will read this entire forum and hopeful answer most of my laundry list of questions. I am a longstanding member on a bmx forum so I too hate it when people do this. Apologies for posting prior to investigation.
No worries, brother - All good questions. There's no "grandfathering" in... otherwise, I'd have a warehouse full of R32/33/34 just waiting for the calendar to roll by.

Part out - Yep (but still exposes you to some risk). Track use? Yep. The only issue comes when you try to pass one off as a legitimately-titled, street-legal, registered car.

Trust me, I think the whole legal issue is stupid, but while it's in effect, we're here to help keep you guys from getting screwed.

I don't give a damn about the importers - Most of them are shady, and in the 13 years I've been doing this, they ALL think they're smarter than the rest of us, without fail. :)

p.s. <-- long-time BMX dad (ABA).

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby AZhitman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 pm

tittitbangbang wrote:man i read all of it... this guy have a r32 92 with the wisconsin title and the guys seem to be honest about it... what really inrested in his vehicle is because he have the form from japan with english translate, the bill of sales, the bills of lading, and he have wiscoinsin title for the car and rehgistration also ( Currently US TITLE and successfull registration ) but he also hold canana title and registration from canada too... so can AZHITMAN help me and answer me ?
I already answered these questions. A Wisconsin title just means he found someone stupid at the Wisconsin DMV. :)

It's not Federally legal, so if you buy it, all the concerns still apply (can't legally insure it, can't legally register it, and if you get in an accident, you'll get your a$$ sued off by any attorney worth his degree). AND, your insurance company won't pay out, because you obtained coverage fraudulently.

It can still be seized by Customs.

Ask him for the Bond Release paperwork and ask which Registered Importer made the car Federally legal. He won't answer you, because he won't have that.
tittitbangbang wrote:the guys seem to be honest about it...
Don't ALL car salesmen? :rotfl

tittitbangbang
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:07 pm
Car: 06 nissan 350z

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby tittitbangbang » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:43 pm

:wtf2:
AZhitman wrote:
tittitbangbang wrote:man i read all of it... this guy have a r32 92 with the wisconsin title and the guys seem to be honest about it... what really inrested in his vehicle is because he have the form from japan with english translate, the bill of sales, the bills of lading, and he have wiscoinsin title for the car and rehgistration also ( Currently US TITLE and successfull registration ) but he also hold canana title and registration from canada too... so can AZHITMAN help me and answer me ?
I already answered these questions. A Wisconsin title just means he found someone stupid at the Wisconsin DMV. :)

It's not Federally legal, so if you buy it, all the concerns still apply (can't legally insure it, can't legally register it, and if you get in an accident, you'll get your a$$ sued off by any attorney worth his degree). AND, your insurance company won't pay out, because you obtained coverage fraudulently.

It can still be seized by Customs.

Ask him for the Bond Release paperwork and ask which Registered Importer made the car Federally legal. He won't answer you, because he won't have that.
tittitbangbang wrote:the guys seem to be honest about it...
Don't ALL car salesmen? :rotfl
sorry if i miss your question about it and if you already nanswer it , but what i planning to purchase the car for is just track it and have fun with it as a event and track car and wont be driving it to public until 2016 and willing to wait three years from 2013 and 2 more years at 2016 and then register it from there....but then since it will be legal from 2016 what do i have to fills out and form and suchs, and what else do i need to get it legal in 2016. agains im sorry for your time if i miss the question u answered.....thank you man.. what part of arizona are you from

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby AZhitman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 pm

tittitbangbang wrote:wont be driving it to public until 2016 and willing to wait three years from 2013 and 2 more years at 2016 and then register it from there
Won't matter. You'd have to export it, then re-import it.

It was brought in illegally, so it can't be "grandfathered" in.

Like I said, if that was a feasible way around the rules, I'd have a warehouse full of R32/33/34 just waiting to be registered. Customs is smarter than that.

EDIT: Surprise, AZ

User avatar
usafdarkhorse
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:48 pm
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z
Location: Knoxville, TN / Akishima-shi, Japan

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby usafdarkhorse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:29 am

Props to you for fielding all the questions, AZhitman.

It gets really old, especially when no one does the leg work to read about what they profess to know. What has really frustrated the flow of accurate information is the confusion over previous eligibility to import several models to now loopholes being closed into virtual non-eligibility; people just "know a guy" who has one and assume that it was done correctly.

The topic of R34 GT-R legality came up recently in a car forum local to me with one member proclaiming that the R34, as well as most Japanese Honda Type-R models (NSX-R, ITR), were on a "lifetime NHTSA ban list" where you could not import them, even over 25 years old. When I asked where he found that info, he dredged up an excel file from NHTSA with the filename "List of Nonconforming Vehicles Ineligible for admittance under Show or Display", which I found humorous.

Moral of the story: Go to NHTSA and read the import regs for yourself, with emphasis on READ (understand).

tittitbangbang
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:07 pm
Car: 06 nissan 350z

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby tittitbangbang » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 am

yep that what i thought... .. i read . and just want to confirm the info on the law with the pro's thank once again azhitman, i guess save up now for 89 or 90 thens

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby AZhitman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Glad to help.

At some point, we'll need to clean up this thread, and turn it into a FAQ... Sounds like a week-long project. :)

SmallCity765
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby SmallCity765 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Has anyone on here bought one of the govt repo ' s to use as a racecar? That's the only reason I want this csr, what scares me is the export only title. I don't k ow if they will come after me if it's not exported. They made note of some promissory note I'd have to sign before I could take possession.

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby AZhitman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 pm

SmallCity765 wrote:Has anyone on here bought one of the govt repo ' s to use as a racecar? That's the only reason I want this csr, what scares me is the export only title. I don't k ow if they will come after me if it's not exported. They made note of some promissory note I'd have to sign before I could take possession.
To my knowledge, you've got to have the export already arranged. It's set up for people who want to sell the car to someone in another country.

User avatar
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:35 pm
Car: Maxima, G35 (x3), s2000 (x2) Integra, Tundra, 350z (x2), MR2 turbo, s14,Miata (x2), GMC Envoy, Trailblazer, Jeep Cherokee x 3
Location: Fullerton, CA
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby Extreme Dimensions » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 pm


nismo1118
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby nismo1118 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Saw this posted on Sean's blog. So is it not necessary to wait until August for an early production car like I have seen stated here several times in the past?

Caplax40
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 8:57 pm
Car: 1992 Sentra SE-R
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby Caplax40 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm

nismo1118 wrote:Saw this posted on Sean's blog. So is it not necessary to wait until August for an early production car like I have seen stated here several times in the past?
I have the same question and am confused as well. I talked with JDM Legends earlier this year and also exchanged emails with Sean in the past few months regarding the date the cars would be available and was told the same thing.

What gives??

cdn_bmxer
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 am

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby cdn_bmxer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05 pm

I saw this also on Sean's Blog. Very confusing/interesting .

I have a possible theory. Maybe it can be "Busted" by someone who knows better than I .

In Japan the cars VIN plate does not show the month/year of production , this is only on the Japanese registration . So when someone imports a car in from Japan it clearly states on the de-registration papers the first month/year of production .

Now if the car is already registered in Canada it no longer states the month of first registration in Japan on its Title/Registration paperwork only the year of the car.

So unless the Custom officer checks with Nissan on the month of production there is no information on the Car or Paperwork stating exact month of production ,only the year.

This is only a Theory on my part based on the VIN plate info on my 89 , my Canadian registration ( British Columbia ) & all the paperwork I have kept since importing it from Japan.

If this is the case , you will be able to import cars that are already registered somewhere in Canada earlier than getting one out of Japan.

cdn_bmxer
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 am

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby cdn_bmxer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Sean just posted an answer on his Blog to our questions .

BTW Sean , thanks for clearing this up.

User avatar
Tofubadguy
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 pm
Car: 94' R32 GTR, Track Car
90' Silvia, w/ RB25, Track Car
90' 240 AWD LHD Coupe, RB26, in the works
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion
Location: Phoenix-ish, AZ
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby Tofubadguy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:43 am

AZhitman wrote:Glad to help.

At some point, we'll need to clean up this thread, and turn it into a FAQ... Sounds like a week-long project. :)
Can we make wagers? I bet a basket of vegetables from Bountiful Baskets it'll take longer than a week! ;)

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby AZhitman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:51 am

Hmmmm.... I like me some Bountiful Baskets... ;)

User avatar
themadscientist
Posts: 29308
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:30 pm
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby themadscientist » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:40 am

You mean bath and bodyworks baskets you old softee.

User avatar
Tofubadguy
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 pm
Car: 94' R32 GTR, Track Car
90' Silvia, w/ RB25, Track Car
90' 240 AWD LHD Coupe, RB26, in the works
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion
Location: Phoenix-ish, AZ
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US.... (Rex)

Postby Tofubadguy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm

l31nismo wrote:The Altima and Maxima Sub-frames are identical. You can swap suspension components between the 2. I know this because I work on these cars all day long. Unless you've dropped the front cradle on any of these cars your opinions are not valid to me......
AZhitman wrote: The Altima and Maxima DO NOT share a common front subframe.

The LCA from each car is more than $100 difference in price. They're different parts. That's just the FIRST part I checked.

So which is it? Swapping subframes is a subject near and dear to my heart! ;)

User avatar
hotwings2112
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:23 pm
Car: 1998 240sx SE(wrecked)
1989 Nissan Skyline R32
Location: Atsugi, JP

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby hotwings2112 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

hey there guys and gals,

kinda newer to this GTR thread but I am stationed in Japan. At the end of this year, 1989 GTR's will be legal to import because of the 25 year mark. If you are looking for cars or parts, please don't be afraid to ask. I've got a few friends who can speak japanese pretty fluently.

:werd:

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 69732
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 73 240Z, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan CC 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US.... (Rex)

Postby AZhitman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Tofubadguy wrote:So which is it? Swapping subframes is a subject near and dear to my heart! ;)
How do ya feel about helping a brotha swap S13 F/R subframes onto a 620 pickup frame? :)

User avatar
Gold Digger
Posts: 7312
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:48 pm
Car: (Previous) 1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
Contact:

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby Gold Digger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:31 am

hotwings2112 wrote:hey there guys and gals,

kinda newer to this GTR thread but I am stationed in Japan. At the end of this year, 1989 GTR's will be legal to import because of the 25 year mark. If you are looking for cars or parts, please don't be afraid to ask. I've got a few friends who can speak japanese pretty fluently.

:werd:
They usually just ask me...been here 10 years now. I gots seniority...LOL

loopyR31
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:22 pm
Car: 1988 R31

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby loopyR31 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm

A little late on reply here, I've been an avid lurker of this forum for awhile and didn't bother to register until recently after purchasing a R31. Just wanted to toss a thanks out for the info posted here. After having to do all the leg work myself to get my car I found this thread to be quite helpful though I still would never do it again.

User avatar
jbracy7
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:39 pm
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces
Location: S.A. TX

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby jbracy7 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Idont even have gtr and the money I spent to get this dawm car,could been a down payment on 13 gtr

federalizedrhd
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:22 pm

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby federalizedrhd » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:48 pm

Hey guys,
New here as you can see...
I want to crash test some R34's and EPA compliance.
Are there any registered importers that will do it? And will stand by their word and contrast?
My understanding is there needs to be three crash tests: Side, front, and rear and a simulated roll-over to test for fuel leakage.
I have read over the released conformance package for the R33.
J&k used two cars for all tests it seems and still is keeping airbag information to themselves.

Any insightful information would be appreciated...

User avatar
usafdarkhorse
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:48 pm
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z
Location: Knoxville, TN / Akishima-shi, Japan

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby usafdarkhorse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Good luck

User avatar
EL MAMITO USMC
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:16 pm
Car: SENTRA SER

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby EL MAMITO USMC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:11 pm

federalizedrhd wrote:Hey guys,
New here as you can see...
I want to crash test some R34's and EPA compliance.
Are there any registered importers that will do it? And will stand by their word and contrast?
My understanding is there needs to be three crash tests: Side, front, and rear and a simulated roll-over to test for fuel leakage.
I have read over the released conformance package for the R33.
J&k used two cars for all tests it seems and still is keeping airbag information to themselves.

Any insightful information would be appreciated...
not really..

just hit up Rivsu Imports and they can bring you a Skyline 100% legal... :bigthumb:

User avatar
kabob
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:26 pm
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

Postby kabob » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:32 pm

federalizedrhd wrote:Hey guys,
New here as you can see...
I want to crash test some R34's and EPA compliance.
Are there any registered importers that will do it? And will stand by their word and contrast?
My understanding is there needs to be three crash tests: Side, front, and rear and a simulated roll-over to test for fuel leakage.
I have read over the released conformance package for the R33.
J&k used two cars for all tests it seems and still is keeping airbag information to themselves.

Any insightful information would be appreciated...
That will cost you into near 6 figures just for two cars, much less the thousands and thousands you'd need for JK to do the testing and certification.


Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”