Razi has got boost!

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Razi
Car: Moo

Gabes13 wrote:
Razi wrote:
Then I repainted my cooling panels in gloss black, and installed a stock SR20 airbox. ;)
That looks good.
Thanks!
spooled240 wrote:are you going to do any mods to your ka24det?

haha
:rotfl

EnjoiNismo
Car: 93 240sx

Razi your engine bay is too clean!

Razi

Thanks!

I might paint the radiator gloss or flat black.
What do you guys think? Should I leave it alone?

bersh240

i always thought the lil crotch bump in the z/altima ser driver seat looked stupid.
is it uncomfy for your man zone?

lovin the engine bay btw.

Razi

Haha, it's more in front of the 'man zone' so it doesn't get in the way.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

I say leave the radiator unpainted. I think that it and the strut tower bar compliment each other. If you do decide to paint it, make sure you use whatever that paint is that supposedly doesn't affect heat exchange.

Razi

That's true..

I'll worry about it later haha.

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

That is awesome news. I always thought I should buy some blue window tint and try to fix it to the rear view mirrors, but I hope I can track down some of those mirrors instead! Noice.
Clean bay as usual man, keeping the cops confuzzled eh?

Razi

Yep!

I got an SR20 manifold to modify to fit the KA, still need to get off my butt and chop off the KA flanges to send to Motoman.

So, story time:
I bought an "SR20 Manifold Heatshield" off of someone a couple of weeks ago.
I sent him the money and everything seemed dandy.

Today I received the package and thought, "This doesn't seem to be the right shape for the manifold!"
I open it up and what do I see?
The heatshield for the turbo.

At this point I have mixed feelings of disappointment and being content.
The item is not what I wanted, but the item is sort of hard to find in the states, and that made me feel a bit let down but I also lucky.

Anyways.
I sourced another person, local this time, that has a manifold heatshield that he'll hopefully separate from his manifold and sell to me.
I'm so tired of looking for the damn heatshields!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

Can you use the heatshield on the t28? Sucks that it's not what you ordered, but you might be able to use it and lower underhood temps at the same time haha. It would also make it look cleaner and hide the turbo even more.

Razi

Yeah, I think it'll fit on the T28, but my waterline is getting in the way.
So I'll either have to cut the heatshield ( :ohno: ) or redo the waterline, but that might be a pain in the butt.

We'll see!

homeslicej2

Most people ditch the stock turbo heatshield when they do an SR swap bc it hits the steering shaft on our LHD cars. Is this not an issue on your KA-T? That's pretty neat if it isn't.

Razi

I think I have a pretty good amount of clearance.
Our KA's exhaust ports are about 2 inches higher than the SR's so that should make enough room. :D

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

hey what exactly is involved with that quest alternator swap?

so far i've read that
-needs to be 93-98 quest w/ VQ30E (110A)
-bottom mount hole has to be drilled out a tad bigger
-cable has to be drilled out to accept the bigger post
-belt

is that it???

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

I think thats pretty much it, I've had this thread bookmarked for when my alternator dies on me.
diy-110-amp-nissan-quest-alternator-int ... 31961.html

Razi

+ back pain

And yeah, that's pretty much it!

homeslicej2

Spooled, CodyAce sells kits to adapt the Quest alternator to the SR and as part of his research into it, he found that the later model 125amp Quest alternators are the same size as the earlier 110amp ones. You should be able to install the later 125amp alt on your KA as well since they are the same size.

spooled240

nice, i'll have to look into that when i swap alt to keep up with all my stuff thx

coolbone28

josh, you also need to grind off part of the tab that the tensioner lock bolt goes into. Its not really hard. Ive already done it twice in mine...stupid reman alt. Anyway, if you want some help..or just some encouragement haha, just let me know. btw this is trevor,, with the black zenki.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

and make sure your car draws more than stock. My friend did the swap but didn't have anymore load on the system and blew all his accessories after a month or so. When the car came to me it started and drove but thats about it. no tach no speedo. nothing.

I recall something like his volt meter/turbo timer reading 14volts constant at high way speed.

coolbone28

^prolly fried the big fusible link in the engine bay. 75A one. that controls the entire cabin fuse panel

Razi

Yep, I blew that fuse because I didn't bother unhooking my battery and I touched the two alternator wires on accident.
A lot of the lights in the interior didn't work and my headlights didn't go up.

I think Autozone has them for like 3 bucks or something.

coolbone28

I just had my quest alt. give out... i think the power regulator in it went out and sent a big wave through my system. Blew that fusible link and i looked at every autoparts store. Couldn't find a damn thing. $21 bucks from the dealer...i said F that and bought 4 of them on ebay for $7 each.
There are 100A ones for SE's and whatnot that i believe are a different style than the 75A ones. But i still couldnt find anything that big in the average autoparts store.

Razi

Hmm, odd.

I saw a lot of those fuses at the most well stocked Autozone around here.

I found mine at the junkyard though.

spooled240

whats up trevor havn't seen you in a while man! where did you get your reman alt from?

razi how about you?

coolbone28

I just got mine from autozone. went bad after a couple years. I was having some electrical issues at the time tho and probably was putting more stress on the system than needed. Cool thing is it was still under warranty so i just got another replacement.

Razi

I bought mine from KrazyDriver I think, where is that guy these days anyways?

spooled240

how much was the reman'd trevor?

I'm trying to decide if I should get an OE one from the junkyard or get a reman'd one..sounds like an easy decision but I heard those reman'd alternators are junk and we all know OE Nissan is superior in terms of reliability

homeslicej2

I think Krazy doesn't really get on here anymore since he sold the 240 and has the bike. Spooled, that's also why I suggested the newer Quest alt. If you find one in the junkyard, it's still probably new enough and low mileage enough, that the alt is good (might be a pain to remove though) and a decent price. I'll pay more for OEM parts than aftermarket bc I know they will last longer and I plan on keeping my 240 as long as I can. I might end up paying through the nose for my Quest alt bc of this. I'm thinking of just buying a new one bc there are no Quests in the local junkyards.

Razi

Yeah, definitely OEM over Refurb'd.

In other news:
It's been a little over a year since my last oil change, did about 4000 miles since then.
So I ordered some more Amsoil oil from Pezi and I'm doing my oil change right now.

Just getting some fresh oil in the car before putting around Irvine all day on Saturday for a UCI carshow/meet thing.

Anyone have a trick for getting the oil filter off without making a mess?
I hate the KA's oil filter location.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”