OFFICIAL S14 Pikes Peak Time Attack Build Thread - Take Two

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

i still love it, haha. Good stuff

Symyn240
Car: 1990, 1989, 1989, & 1993 240sx's

Thanks for keeping us in the know!!!! Looking great!

kenno470
Car: 1995Ish Nissan 240SX (P-I: Retired 2012)
1997 Nissan 240SX (P-II: Began 2012)

Updates.

Getting the hardlines fabbed for the fuel system. Waiting on fittings.

Gettng the side windows fabbed. The NACA duct will feed cool air to the turbo box and feed additional cool air to the intake filter:

New power steering reservoir. Made partially from an old oxygen container. Steve fabbed the screw on lid from scratch on the lathe.

Fabbed the new exhaust. The old one was 3", but it tapered from 2.25 up to 3". It was going to kill velocity to the turbo so we are making the new system entirely of 2.5" and modifying the collector to eliminate the 2.25" reduction. After the turbo it will exit at 2.5" and expand to 3" then dump out just behind the centerline of the rear axle.

This is the sump system and pump for the oil return from the turbo. The sump will allow the turbo to continue draining in the off chance that the return pump should fail or lose power. I'll have a low oil pressure warning light that will let me know if the pump loses pressure. The sump allows me plenty of time to make a decision about shutting down before oil starts forcing itself past the seals in the turbo.

Insulated the turbo box. This material will reflect heat up to 2000* and help keep me cool in the driver seat.

Got a few other boring things done: Dzused the front bumper, made a few plates for the firewall, started the brake line fabrication.

Engine goes to the builder tomorrow morning. New Kelford 272 cams are here. Pistons, Rods, double springs, etc. are all on their way.

Much more to do...deadline fast approaching.

Bye.

kenno470

Some updates from the weekend.

Got the battery tray installed and the trunk plumbing completed:

Inside door handle:

Mounted Radiator, Intercooler and headlights:

Dash is mounted and center stack is fabbed:

Most of the hardlines from the trunk and under hood are done. The big pipe next to the fuel lines is the charge pipe coming from the turbo:

It's almost a car.

Only three weekends left. It's gonna be close. We might go over schedule by a week or two, but still expect to be on the dyno by April 1st.

Next weekend:More plumbingWiring startsStopTech brake installationFinish the charge pipe to the intercoolermount gauges and switches in the dashfront brake cooling ducts into bumperMount the splitterand if we get the parts in: oil and power steering cooler install

Volunteers...? Anyone...?

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

Great stuff. The work you do is awesome. Love the way the car is looking. I been watching the whole thing

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

this car has come a long ways since i last saw it. keep it up!!!

Timos240
Car: '95 240sx not quite stock,

Congrat's on the baby girl. My first, also a girl, is 3 weeks old and she's sitting here reading this post with me. She says "its one heck of a build". Good job.

noobdrftr
Car: of crap...just pure crap

if i lived near you i would so come over and help you with your project...cant wait to see the final product

Johnnydrifter22
Car: 1990 S13

Geat Project!! 3 Questions what are those brown bronze things sticking out where your say radio would be?

Can you show us how you Dzus your front bumper, I want to do it to mine but dont know how to start.

Is your splitter plywood??

kenno470

Johnnydrifter22 wrote:Geat Project!! 3 Questions what are those brown bronze things sticking out where your say radio would be?

Can you show us how you Dzus your front bumper, I want to do it to mine but dont know how to start.

Is your splitter plywood??
Hi!

Those little bronze things are called Cleco's (pronounced: Kleeko). they hold the tin in place till I either rivet or screw them in place. They come in a few different sizes. Typically I use 1/8" for most tin work. Get them at your favorite parts house (Jegs, Summit, etc.) along with the tool to use them (Cleco pliers).

I'll take a few pictures of the front Dzus' for you this weekend so you can see. I just have them Dzused at the sides right now due to time constraints, but will have two Dzus' in the middle where I have screws now.

The splitter is plywood. Much research and advice from other guys who roadrace says that this is a good way to go on a small budget. If you roadrace with regularity (or race Pikes Peak, with it's soft shoulders), you will eventually jack one up. So better an $11.00 piece of ply than a $300.00 piece of carbon.

Thanks for the questions!

Ken

hazer396
Car: 2007 Tahoe, Impala

craziest build ive seenits like the 240SX Superleggera good luck and keep up the good work!

kenno470

Thanks everyone for the nice words.

You can see all of the 2009 photos of the build, including photos of the Dzus'd front bumper skin, starting here: http://www.fatmanracing.com/S1....html

With the state of the current global economic situation, our Principal financial sponsor backed out last week. As a result, we are struggling to get the car finished. Only lacking a few bits and pieces, and some safety equipment, but it all adds up and slows things down. We still expect to make the Hill Climb, but will have to do without some extras and will also have to limit our testing. It's a bummer to have come this far over the past eight months and have this happen. But I guess that's the nature of the beast.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Your wiring looks mint. Shoot me an email with what you still need. I can't guarantee anything but I can see what I can do for you.

kenno470

Thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it. Sent you an e-mail tonight.

I'll have a few more updates to post this weekend. We got the motor back from the engine builder today. It's clean...not sexy, though. Just a motor.

Bye.

kenno470

Got the car rolling on the suspension we'll be using for the race (Motons, Baby!...Dig it!). Rolled the car outside briefly to snap a few pictures before the rain came in. I know it looks a little hi right now. I didn't have time to set the ride height before rolling it out. It was getting dark and stormy.We also got the motor back from the engine builder. We o-ringed the deck, upgraded the head studs, etc, and should be good for 30+psi of boost.

We're getting closer.

Bye.

initial_jc
Car: KOUKI

which engine are you going to use? SR or KA?

Hype
Car: 93 240SX SE fb Super HICAS

initial_jc wrote:which engine are you going to use? SR or KA?
He said earlier in the thread that he has a built KA for boosting 30psi. Just wondering if that has gotten on the rollers yet for tuning!

kenno470

We haven't had the engine on the Dyno yet. The engine is in place and the car is nearly complete, though. Should see the dyno in about two to three weeks if everything goes well. The motor is a well prepped KA with a 60-1 turbo. It has an o-ringed deck and uses copper head gaskets. The combination we are running has been proven to 60psi in drag motors. So the 25-30psi we plan on pushing doesn't seem like much.

We expect to have the front Motons back today...fresh off the dyno. Looking forward to getting them slapped on. With that, the front suspension and braking system will be complete. The rear was completed last weekend.

Here's what the car looks like today:

Right now we are about 2 months behind schedule. It's unfortunate, I know. We will have minimal time to test before heading to the Peak, but with help from Forrest and Kyle at PTP, we should be able to get the car sorted and ready to make a go of it.

Ken

sil80_chris
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

i never heard of pikes peak before this...sounds like an awesome event though! anyways your build has been a pretty amazing thing, hope your kids are doing great, and whats gonna be the final color (or colours) of the car? good luck with the rest!!

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

WOW!! how in the fucck did i miss this thread??? i remember a long time ago seeing this car. i think you may have even emailed me about my ITBs i had a couple years ago (or whoever had the car before you...???). this car is SERIOUS shlt!!! i wish i couldve turned a wrench or two on this, and some metal work on this car. this is an example of the next S chassis i will be building. YES, i know its going to be alot of work, and will take alot of time. all i have to say is mad skills, and props... along with good luck for getting her fully prepped for the race. keep updating this thread.

MODS: put this thread on the front of the nico homepage. this is a very inspiring thread to lots!!!

ViciousCesar
Car: '90 420sx Hatch

[QUOTE=kenno470][QUOTE]

jeff gordon eat your heart out. lol

kenno470

sil80_chris wrote:i never heard of pikes peak before this...sounds like an awesome event though! anyways your build has been a pretty amazing thing, hope your kids are doing great, and whats gonna be the final color (or colours) of the car? good luck with the rest!!
http://www.ppihc.com

Go check it out. It's good stuff.

kenno470

j-z wrote:WOW!! how in the fucck did i miss this thread??? i remember a long time ago seeing this car. i think you may have even emailed me about my ITBs i had a couple years ago (or whoever had the car before you...???). this car is SERIOUS shlt!!! i wish i couldve turned a wrench or two on this, and some metal work on this car. this is an example of the next S chassis i will be building. YES, i know its going to be alot of work, and will take alot of time. all i have to say is mad skills, and props... along with good luck for getting her fully prepped for the race. keep updating this thread.

MODS: put this thread on the front of the nico homepage. this is a very inspiring thread to lots!!!
Thanks! Might have been me that asked about the ITB's. I looked at it for this car.

kenno470

[QUOTE=ViciousCesarjeff gordon eat your heart out. lol[/QUOTE]

Jeff who...? Never heard of him.

kenno470

Got a few things done on the hot rod this weekend.

Got the charge pipe complete from the intercooler to the throttle body. I still need to find an aluminum Tial BOV flange so I can get that finished up. Got the exhaust completed...it'll get sent for ceramic coating this week.Also got the Motons bolted on and got the reservoirs mounted, as well.

Started going through my wiring and find that I am short a couple harness plugs that I'm really going to need. Specifically the one for my distributor. So...bummer.

Still a long way to go, it seems.

Bye.

S13Joe
Car: 92 Coupe

j-z wrote:WOW!! how in the fucck did i miss this thread??? i remember a long time ago seeing this car. i think you may have even emailed me about my ITBs i had a couple years ago (or whoever had the car before you...???). this car is SERIOUS shlt!!! i wish i couldve turned a wrench or two on this, and some metal work on this car. this is an example of the next S chassis i will be building. YES, i know its going to be alot of work, and will take alot of time. all i have to say is mad skills, and props... along with good luck for getting her fully prepped for the race. keep updating this thread.

Agreed. This is one of the best threads I've seen here since I've been here. OP, great job man, keep it going. I honestly think your choosing the wrong chassis for your goal but hey man, prove me wrong, please.

kenno470

DirtyGhettoKids wrote:
Agreed. This is one of the best threads I've seen here since I've been here. OP, great job man, keep it going. I honestly think your choosing the wrong chassis for your goal but hey man, prove me wrong, please.
Thanks. There probably are better palces to start, but it's what we have.

We'll see what we can wring out of it.

kenno470

Got a few more things done tonight. Worked on getting the fuel system buttoned up and figuring out what other plugs I might be missing.

I start the wiring tomorrow. Good times.

Shiny new alternator. The old one was hammered, so I broke down and got a refurb...

Power without control isn't really power. This is the secret to going really fast...or some such.

I'm missing this plug. If you have one laying around, please let me know.

Bye.

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

yummy . everything looks tastefully done even though it was done for function over form. what fuel rail is that?

kenno470

j-z wrote:yummy . everything looks tastefully done even though it was done for function over form. what fuel rail is that?

Definitely function first.

I got the fuel rail from PTP (Pro Tuning Performance) in Ft. Worth. Not sure of the manufacturer. Quite possibly AEM.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”