M56 Interior & Exterior LED Lighting Overhaul

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

IEMaestro wrote:I agree! Where did you purchase those Philips fog lights MY2J?
Beautiful yellow color. I really like the look.

How are they for night driving? Better, worse, or same? Anybody flash highbeams at you yet?
Are they plug & play? Are they just swap in, or did you need to add resistors?
How much time & hassle to install them?

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

I'll let MY2J answer all of these except the resistor question. The ONLY LEDs on this car that need resistors are the turn signals. Our cars do not use CAN Bus bulbs either.

MY2J
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37

No, haven't had anyone flash their high beams but I would imagine if someone tried to use these as low beams then that would be completely different.
As far as installation goes, they are plug-n-play. I went in through the fender splash guards but the passenger side is very tricky due to the windshield washer reservoir's location which is directly in front of the fog light housing (LED length will not be an issue).
And as mentioned above, you only need resistors when changing the turn signals to LED's.

IEMaestro
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 S

MY2J wrote:eBay... seller: karpartstore (99.4% positive feedback)

Thanks!

MY2J
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37

installed some Alla Amber/Yellow parking lights and iJDMTOY (No Resistor Required) Amber turn signals. Honestly, did not see much improvement between the stock halogen turn signal bulbs and the iJDMTOY LED's during day time.

Debonair

MY2J wrote:installed some Alla Amber/Yellow parking lights and iJDMTOY (No Resistor Required) Amber turn signals. Honestly, did not see much improvement between the stock halogen turn signal bulbs and the iJDMTOY LED's during day time.
Those look good. Less connections to make is nice too with the built in resistance. The modern appearance that the LED instant on-off behavior adds is probably the main reason to upgrade to them, more so then brightness at least.

I can tell you that the Astar turn signal bulbs I use front and rear are blindingly bright in the rear position, way more than stock. I actually feel bad about letting them blink at night if a car is behind me since the are crazy bright. I am planning on pulling them out and modifying the top LED's somehow to see if it takes some of the visual sting out of them. I'll post some results.

DonPitdutch
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x S, Deluxe Touring Package

I realize when I walk closer to the vehicle, with the key on me, the interior lights power on but very dimmed. If I switch the LED's, does this dimming effect get lost?

Debonair

DonPitdutch wrote:I realize when I walk closer to the vehicle, with the key on me, the interior lights power on but very dimmed. If I switch the LED's, does this dimming effect get lost?
I think they dim to about 50% and then turn off. They will not dim all the way down like incandescent bulbs. I'll have to check for you.

DonPitdutch
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x S, Deluxe Touring Package

Thanks Debonair!

Debonair

Ok So I think its more 25-30% then off. Basically, you will not really notice a fade unless you are looking for it.

hagani
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x
2012 Infiniti M56x

Debonair wrote:
Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm
I have been disappointed with the color output of the HID bulbs I installed in my fogs. Not Amber enough. So I too was looking at LED options. It seems like most of the high output models have a large heat sink on their end. I am not sure how this will fit with the wiper fluid resivour being so close to fog light on the passenger side of the car. It's been a while since I was in there but I remember them being pretty close together. I need to get back in there and take a rough measurement of the available space. The driver side is wide open.

Debonair,

what do you think maximum wattage LED will be safe to install in fog light housing?

I've got these but have second thoughts about installing them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-H8-1200W-L ... SwmphaTdx4

Debonair

Debonair,

what do you think maximum wattage LED will be safe to install in fog light housing?

Those are listed at 1200W. Looking a little closer they say "1200W/set" so now we are down to 600W each. That is still 12x or more the wattage if most of the other bright LED H# bulbs out there. Other things I notice is the actual COBB LED on those is the same size or smaller then all the others and the heat sink is the same size too. All this tells me they are using their own special eBay seller math.

All that said these should be fine in your fog light housings, in my non-professional internet expert opinion of course.

hagani
2012 Infiniti M56x

Debonair wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:58 am
Debonair,

Those are listed at 1200W. Looking a little closer they say "1200W/set" so now we are down to 600W each. That is still 12x or more the wattage if most of the other bright LED H# bulbs out there. Other things I notice is the actual COBB LED on those is the same size or smaller then all the others and the heat sink is the same size too. All this tells me they are using their own special eBay seller math.

All that said these should be fine in your fog light housings, in my non-professional internet expert opinion of course.
Thank you. I actually bought this buy mistake. They are not switchable between white and yellow colors and all they have is a yellow glass sleeve that goes over the stock white LED. But I am planning to buy the other set which is switchable without any glass sleeves so I can change color without taking the bulb out. :)

Debonair

hagani wrote: Thank you. I actually bought this buy mistake. They are not switchable between white and yellow colors and all they have is a yellow glass sleeve that goes over the stock white LED. But I am planning to buy the other set which is switchable without any glass sleeves so I can change color without taking the bulb out. :)
No prob. I got my on HERE.

hagani
2012 Infiniti M56x

Debonair wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm
hagani wrote: Thank you. I actually bought this buy mistake. They are not switchable between white and yellow colors and all they have is a yellow glass sleeve that goes over the stock white LED. But I am planning to buy the other set which is switchable without any glass sleeves so I can change color without taking the bulb out. :)
Are you happy with those? Bright enough?

Debonair

hagani wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:21 pm
Debonair wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm happy with mine for sure. They are not blindingly bright by any means (a good thing), at least not on yellow. The white is a bit brighter. I very rarely see fog so real inclement weather performance is hard for me to rate. But as a cosmetic feature they look awesome next to my Osram Xenarc headllights. :dblthumb:

hagani
2012 Infiniti M56x

Debonair wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 am
hagani wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm happy with mine for sure. They are not blindingly bright by any means (a good thing), at least not on yellow. The white is a bit brighter. I very rarely see fog so real inclement weather performance is hard for me to rate. But as a cosmetic feature they look awesome next to my Osram Xenarc headllights. :dblthumb:
Standard or Night Breaker?

Debonair

hagani wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 am
Osram Xenarc CBI 5K, I have been running them since 11/15. They are $40 cheaper now too :blush:

I should mention that I am speaking of the contrast of yellow fog and white headlights. I modified the LED fogs to default to yellow instead of white.

hagani
2012 Infiniti M56x

Debonair wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am
hagani wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 am
Osram Xenarc CBI 5K, I have been running them since 11/15. They are $40 cheaper now too :blush:

I should mention that I am speaking of the contrast of yellow fog and white headlights. I modified the LED fogs to default to yellow instead of white.
There are relatively new bulbs on the market I am looking at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D2S-OSRAM-Xena ... 1438.l2649

Review says it's brighter than CBI and produce more white color at 4800K. Not sure if it's true.

Also there are new (2017) Philips bulbs that are (or what they claim) 150% brighter than OSRAM Night Breaker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Authentic- ... 1438.l2649

Debonair

hagani wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 am
There are relatively new bulbs on the market I am looking at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D2S-OSRAM-Xena ... 1438.l2649

Review says it's brighter than CBI and produce more white color at 4800K. Not sure if it's true.

Also there are new (2017) Philips bulbs that are (or what they claim) 150% brighter than OSRAM Night Breaker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Authentic- ... 1438.l2649
I personally prefer 5K, pure cool white. Higher gets bluer, lower gets yellower. The additional brightness of the Nightbreaker appears to be made by warming up the color based on the YouTube videos I can find.

DrftkingIII
Car: E36 M3, S14, M37S

Debonair, you may know;

I've tried two different bulbs from two different companies for the main front overhead lights (the big ones that you click on and off) and neither have worked. The factory incandescent bulbs work just fine, but the LED's don't.

Can you point me to a company to purchase these from?

Debonair

DrftkingIII wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 am
Debonair, you may know;

I've tried two different bulbs from two different companies for the main front overhead lights (the big ones that you click on and off) and neither have worked. The factory incandescent bulbs work just fine, but the LED's don't.

Can you point me to a company to purchase these from?
Yeah, this is discussed earlier in this thread but I don't fault you for missing it among all the posts.

The front dome light LED's need to be hooked up reverse polarity. If you are using an LED panel like I did hook the red wire(s) to the black wire on the socket part and the black wire(s) to the red wired on the socket part.

The OEM bulb is reverse polarity.

ALSO - disconnect the negative battery. People have cooked the BCM changing bulbs in these cars. There is no fuse protection between the sockets and the BCM.

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I just had the front passenger headlight go out.

I purchased the Osram D2S 66240CBI 6000 and the OSRAM H8 Cool Blue Intense 12V 35W PGJ19-1 4200k. I'm looking forward to getting this stuff installed. I really liked how bright the stock bulbs were in my car until 430 this morning. I had a new Genesis, Hyundai, next to me. He must have LED headlights, they totally took my headlights out, like they weren't even there. Hope these help.

Andy

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

Well

I had my maiden voyage this morning and they are definitely brighter than the originals. I was hoping on getting more benefit from the fog lights but not really. They are pretty useless IMHO, that being said in glad I changed them all out.

Andy

Debonair

Very cool. They should get a bit brighter too. :dblthumb:

And yeah, the fog lights are almost cosmetic on this car. LED's add a bit more and HID''s add a little more then that but not much.

Purenv
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x stormfront gray

I know that this is an old thread but, why do you need to connect resistors to the turn signal bulbs?

Debonair

Purenv wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:58 am
I know that this is an old thread but, why do you need to connect resistors to the turn signal bulbs?
Most cars use the resistance of the incandescent turn signal bulb to verify it is present and working. If it is not, the turn signal will blink extra fast to let the operator know one or more of the turn signal bulbs are out.

When an LED bulb, which all have very low resistance, is used the turn signals will blink extra fast becuase it thinks there is a bulb out. Adding some resistance back into the circuit fixes this behavior and returns the turn signal speed to normal.

The resistors are ONLY needed for the turn signals. All other bulbs can be swapped for LED without them.

Public Service Announcement: Disconnect your negative terminal before doing ANY electrical work on these cars or risk you BCM dying.

Purenv

First off, thank you so much for your hard work and starting this thread. You have saved me a lot of headaches with posting all this great information on all the bulbs and replacements. I ordered the dual colored fog lights you posted earlier as well as some Phillips 194 parking, side marker, and license plate led bulbs as well as some 1750 lumen each “back-up” led lights. When I get them installed I’ll take and post some pictures.
I would love to do the interior but one of my sons has light sensitive eyes so, I have to stay with the factory “dimmable” incandescent bulbs.
Great to see this forum staying active.
Cheers gents.

Debonair

As always I am happy to help and share the little bit of knowledge that my tinkering habits/hobbies get me. :dblthumb:

Purenv

@Debonair what did you end up using for your parking lights? The ones I ordered are not bright enough for me. But they do work very well for license plate lighting.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”