M45 Fuel Gauge problem??? Post here if you have/had it!!!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
troubleowens
Car: 03 Infiniti M45

Had the same problem at around 50k. I took it in to Major Infiniti in Kansas City where they promptly fixed the sending unit(i think). Well it worked for a while; however, now I'm experiencing a stuck fuel gage. I can give the dash a good smack and it will eventually give me an accurate reading. It seems to happen when the cabin is hot. Don't no if I'm going to pay $400+ to have it fixed since I'm at 83k. I do have an extended warranty so I'll see if its covered.

coss8223
Car: 2003 M45

Hi guys.Yep same thing.2003 M45 57,000 miles

Ran out of gas on busy street, gas gauge showed half full. I never really let gas gauge run down. Have always filled up at half way mark. First time (without knowing) that tank ran empty. Have it scheduled for service this upcoming week. Will let you guys know outcome, but glad I have this thread to bring to the dealership.

Dennis

coss8223

A follow up guys -Dealer just called and guess what?

Gauge Cluster needs to be replaced; $650 job. Gee, who would have thought it could be that problem? Unbelieveable that Infiniti insists this is not a manufacturer problem. I have owned about 16 cars over the past 40 years and not one of them has ever had a fuel gauge problem. Let alone replacing the entire cluster of the dash board to fix one. I have a call into Consumer Affairs. They said they would look into this problem, but have not really seen it "as an issue". Will keep you posted on result.

coss8223

Thanks to the forum!Just heard from Consumer Affairs.All I have to pay is the dealer diagnostic fee ($110), the balance will be covered from Infiniti. It was a pleasant suprise, but shows this forum helps and Infiniti does "do the right thing".Have a good fourth everyone.Dennis

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

coss8223 wrote:Thanks to the forum!Just heard from Consumer Affairs.All I have to pay is the dealer diagnostic fee ($110), the balance will be covered from Infiniti. It was a pleasant suprise, but shows this forum helps and Inifiniti does "do the right thing".Have a good fourth everyone.Dennis
Good Stuff™!!

Z

Boon
Car: 03 M45 Black on Black Crime

Glad to hear they are helping ya out!

Motorsport Nut
Car: 1995 300ZX, 1973 240Z w/ '72 SU's, many others

I originally posted in this thread that I was having intermittent fuel gauge level readout problems. Since that post I have also had the service engine light soon come on. It started just after a fill up. I turned the car off and opened and retightened the gas cap, thinking it would clear itself. It did not.

It stayed on for a week or two, then went off and has come back a few times since. I had a friend run the code for me, DTC P0462 Fuel Level Sensor and I am ordering the parts from Pinnacle Infiniti including a new fuel filter to be installed with the new level sensor. I have already contacted Infiniti and opened a file claim mentioning the fuel gauge and the likely replacement of the gauge cluster, like many others here have had to have performed.

I'll let you all know how the sensor and fuel filter install goes and it is clears the code after the new test. Emissions control testing is required here in PA FYI.

Todd

MaxBolus
Car: 2004 M45

Just adding my "me too" to this post.

I noticed my tank is lasting much longer than usual..then remembered this thread and stopped to fill up.

Gauge was reading just under 1/2, but took 17.5 gallons, hmmm.. just to be sure, these cars don't have 34 gallon tanks, right?

Another thing to add to the 'to-do' list, sheesh.. (more accurately 'to-do when I have some cash to spare' list)

M45Caliber
Car: 03 M45, 54K mi, Pearl, Chromes, Frozen Rotors/Hawk pads, 5000K Fogs, MagnaFlow Exhst, Lip Spoiler

Good thread Boon -- I would not have known about this otherwise. Today, exactly 8 days after getting my M back from Scottsdale Infiniti where they replaced the crankshaft sensor unit, I noticed this same issue. I always reset my trip odo when I fill up, just to see how far between fill ups.

So, I get in the car this evening and fire it up and drive off. The gauge reads a little over 1/2, and the trip odo is at 145. I go into the store and pick up some things, come back out and drive off and notice I now have 3/4 of a tank! Some nice stranger apparently put gas in my car while I was in the grocery store. Or maybe not? When I parked it in the garage, I stopped, then started it again and the gauge dropped down to just over 1/2 again.

Is there a THREAD like this one that lists ALL the "Common" problems the03/04 M45's experience? It would be nice to know what else I can expect, especially since I only have 34K on this beast.

Best -- Drew

sji

Does anyone know if they remove the steering wheel when replacing the gauge cluster? My car had the cluster replaced for the fuel gauge issue...now the base of steering wheel gives off a rubbing sound when turning.. Starting to get annoying.

Boon

Most likely they have to drop the steering column when they remove the cluster. Don't think the actual steering wheel comes off but still could be part of the problem. I would at least have them take a look and let them know this issue starting following them servicing the vehicle.

rayM45
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Yes, me too. Started at about 51K miles. I took it to the dealer about 5 mos. ago and they said that unless I could leave the car with them for a "few day" and let them drive it to check it that there's nothing they could do to confirm the problem. This is a problem for me as the nearest Infiniti dealer (Marin Infiniti no less, San Rafael, CA) is 45 miles away and I have no convenient means to simply drop the car off unless I make arrangements way ahead of time. I plan to follow up as soon as I can. Mine shows full when filled up, remains showing full until I'm near empty and then falls to about 1/2 full reading when it runs out of gas. I do sometimes get accurate readings when I first start up the car and the outside temperature is < 60 degrees?!?!?!?! They also gave me the run around about the oil consumption (yes, I have that too -about a quart every 1,500 - 2,000 miles - dealer said that they would have to check every day for a period of time to verify). I fell that they are stalling so that I can fall outside of warranty and they won't have to deal with it. 2003 M45 originally purchased used with 25K miles December 2006.

rj52002
Car: 2003 M45 Infiniti

Fuel gauge is not working. It always tells me I have a full tank and I'm empty. Also the LCD screen tells me I have so many miles until I'm empty and I'm already empty. Is it the cluster that needs to be replaced? It has 83000 miles. I bought it from a friend about a year ago.

Sazar
Car: Infiniti M-45 2003

sji wrote:Does anyone know if they remove the steering wheel when replacing the gauge cluster? My car had the cluster replaced for the fuel gauge issue...now the base of steering wheel gives off a rubbing sound when turning.. Starting to get annoying.
Take it back to Infiniti.

I had my car serviced and they did some work on the steering wheel as there was a little rattle and they apparently put the cables back the wrong way so they were rubbing together. Annoyed the piss out of me.

I took it to another Infiniti and showed them the official service records and told them to take a look. They fixed it and said the cables had been routed wrong (just imagine that, from a DEALERSHIP you have this problem) and was the cause of the rubbing.

Everything now works perfectly but I would definitely take the car back in. Should not cost you a dime.
Modified by Sazar at 2:07 PM 9/10/2008

Boon

rayM45 wrote:Yes, me too. Started at about 51K miles. I took it to the dealer about 5 mos. ago and they said that unless I could leave the car with them for a "few day" and let them drive it to check it that there's nothing they could do to confirm the problem. This is a problem for me as the nearest Infiniti dealer (Marin Infiniti no less, San Rafael, CA) is 45 miles away and I have no convenient means to simply drop the car off unless I make arrangements way ahead of time. I plan to follow up as soon as I can. Mine shows full when filled up, remains showing full until I'm near empty and then falls to about 1/2 full reading when it runs out of gas. I do sometimes get accurate readings when I first start up the car and the outside temperature is < 60 degrees?!?!?!?! They also gave me the run around about the oil consumption (yes, I have that too -about a quart every 1,500 - 2,000 miles - dealer said that they would have to check every day for a period of time to verify). I fell that they are stalling so that I can fall outside of warranty and they won't have to deal with it. 2003 M45 originally purchased used with 25K miles December 2006.
I would call the dealer and ask to speak to the service manager. Then I would ask for his email, send him a link to this thread, and ask him to read it and then decide if this is not a common problem. If that does not work then I would call infiniti corperate and tell them of this issue. Tell them that this is obviously a known issue that they have yet to recognizing. Tell them what the dealer said and tell them that you are not satisfied with the dealers answer and what they are requesting of you.

Either way if the dealer does not do everything in their power to help you, I would find a new dealer to go to. We pay to much for these cars and the services they require to be pissing away your money at a dealer that is not willing to help. Hit them where it hurts the most, their bottom dollar. Buy your next $50k car somewhere else.

stroked347

2003 M45 ~72k

Fuel gauge has not functioned properly for past year (15-20k miles) but now service engine soon light is coming on.

Fuel level sensor (unit within gas tank) was replaced last week and light just came back on. I called my local infiniti dealer, Infiniti of Chantilly, VA and set up an appt. for tomorrow morning. They've always been extremely helpful and the service advisor said they would run the code and see what they can do to help me out once they've done that.

The car has been flawless other than this, and obviously this is a common problem so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be a big help, as usual.

Boon

stroked347 wrote:2003 M45 ~72k

Fuel gauge has not functioned properly for past year (15-20k miles) but now service engine soon light is coming on.

Fuel level sensor (unit within gas tank) was replaced last week and light just came back on. I called my local infiniti dealer, Infiniti of Chantilly, VA and set up an appt. for tomorrow morning. They've always been extremely helpful and the service advisor said they would run the code and see what they can do to help me out once they've done that.

The car has been flawless other than this, and obviously this is a common problem so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be a big help, as usual.
They need to replace the entire gauge cluster then you will be good as new.

stroked347

Just heard from the service advisor and they ran the code which indicated Fuel level sensor (same old story). So, he ran a google search for this forum, saw this thread and after reading all the posts, got infiniti to agree to cover 100% of the gauge cluster replacement.

SO, big shout out to Boon for starting this thread and for everyone who's documented their fuel gauge related problems!

Also to Scott at Chantilly Infiniti for all the help!

Boon

Awesome, glad you got it taken care of. Good stuff!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

stroked347 wrote:Just heard from the service advisor and they ran the code which indicated Fuel level sensor (same old story). So, he ran a google search for this forum, saw this thread and after reading all the posts, got infiniti to agree to cover 100% of the gauge cluster replacement.

SO, big shout out to Boon for starting this thread and for everyone who's documented their fuel gauge related problems!

Also to Scott at Chantilly Infiniti for all the help!
Outstanding!!!

Z

MaxBolus
Car: 2004 M45

Just wanted to add this 'quick fix' for the malfunctioning gauge..

Mine has still been acting up, but generally works OK. The other day I started up, and the gauge was showing 3/4 full, but I remembered the night before it was down to less than 1/4. (And I knew the "fill 'er up gremlins" hadn't visited..)

So I gave the dash a good whack just above the gauge..and the needle gently swung down to the proper level.

Until I get it in the shop, this is my backup plan

M45Caliber
Car: 03 M45, 54K mi, Pearl, Chromes, Frozen Rotors/Hawk pads, 5000K Fogs, MagnaFlow Exhst, Lip Spoiler

Update on process (time it takes) and approach I took.

I took my wifes EX35 in for an oil/filter change today. Asked for and met with the service manager. I explained the fuel gauge problem and the solution, as outlined in this forum. He was more than aware of the issue.Told him my M45, 2003 with 35,000 miles now, just started encountering this problem and aked him if it would be fixed by Infiniti corporate, as this is obviously a known defect with the part/cluster, and that per the forum, Infiniti has taken care of this for the vast majority of owners.

Now whether it's because he's a good guy or because I own and service two Infiniti's with his dealership, he agreed to take care of this for me.

I had told him I was bringing the M in for oil/filter, coolant, and rear diff fluid change and would welcome his repair as long as Infiniti would pay. He said, without any hesitation whatsoever, that he could get Infiniti to cover the repair, which tells me Infiniti must have a policy shared directly with the service managers, but NOT with the general public, to step up when asked. My guess is that if the mileage is reasonable AND you have maintained your car with the dealer, you should be golden.

As for the amount of time, plan on 3-4 days minimum. Bring your car in, they have to record the EXACT mileage and then Infiniti Corp has to program that mileage into the new cluster BEFORE it is shipped to the dealer. Once it arrives, it is then installed. So this is not a quick 1 day install from a part that is in stock at the dealer.

ONE MORE THING -- M45 related but not fuel gauge related. My starting problem was traced to a faulty Crankshaft sensor. This is a WARRANTY repair as there is a recall on this (and other related sensors - search the NHTSA website) If you've paid for this type of repair, you should be eligible for a reimbursement -- just an FYI. The cost would have been around $300 otherwise.

allpro

my 03 m45 ran out of gas on me a day after i bought it. Unfortunately for me, i bought it "as is" from a bank repo dealership. A few days after it ran out of gas, the "service engine soon" light came on and it doesn't go away although i've had the car serviced at midas. The car has 78k miles.

danbgood
Car: 2003 M45, 2004 FX35

I've started having this same problem - started around 72K. I haven't taken it to the dealer for repair - it's an 85 mi drive, leave car for the day, order part, make another return trip for actual repair. It's good to hear some people are having luck with repairs even when car is out of warranty.

mikeds35

hi im a 03 m45 owner and a infiniti technican for 9yrs. i had the same problem and it was the cluster assy. you can check it also by disconnecting the connector at the fuel sending unit in the trunk and checking for 12v at the red wire. anything else then 12v is a faulty cluster due to the fact that it sends power to the sending unit. any other questions just ask

mike

M45Caliber

update on the time this takes. My service advisor quoted 3 to 5 days and gave me the explanation in my previous post. She then calls me the day after I dropped the car off to tell me it's ready.

Apparently the Service Manager is authorized to call in the the ODO reading, Infiniti programs the new unit and overnights it to the dealer, who then installs it the next day --- WOW!

And I had the PS flushed, the rear diff fluid changed and the coolant flushed and changed, as it wasn't done @ 30K when the trans and brake fluid were changed out by the previous owner 6 months back.

Overall I thought the turn around was quick. pretty soon all '03 M's should have been swapped out!

jmoo2010

Mike,

I am the second owner of 2003 Infiniti M45. The Fuel gage has not worked like it should, and the previous owner advised to go according to the millage driven. Today the check engine light came on. I took it to autozone and got a code of P0462 (Voltage level from the fuel level sensor is too low for current engine operating condition).

The car is out of warranty. I plan on purchasing an after market bumper to bumper warranty and waiting a while before taking the car to an Infiniti Dealership.

This is my only car and my daily driver, could the above mentioned issues make the car inoperable?Any suggestion on a good after market warranty? (the car currently has 66642 miles)I would also like to get a rough estimate on getting the instrument cluster replaced?

James

sleepy45
Car: 2003 m45

I sent a complaint to infiniti corp about the gauge issue...no response.

M4T5
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

sji wrote:I emailed my service manager and attached a link to this thread. Mentioned that I was experienceing the same issues. I got a response from the SM and requested I bring the car in to be checked out. My thought was, "oh great, Im taking it in and getting screwed because it need to get fixed and out of warranty." I waited a couple of weeks and another problem arose...the check engine light kept coming on and off after fill ups until it just stayed stuck and would not come off. So I had my wife take it in with the I inspect mailer. I did not mention the fuel gauage problem, btw. Service rep calls me and says that my gauge cluster is bad and needs to be replaced and gives me a good size $$$ figure...So i request to talk to the SM I had emailed and mentioned my email to him several weeks back. He remembered and worked with me and found a way to get the whole thing done FREE OF CHARGE!!! All I have to say is, Clear Lake Infiniti ROCKS!!! I did have to pay for some other things that needed to be taken care of, but all in all it was a great thing they did to make sure the customer was taken care of. Definately going to buy my next M there. That's my story. Pretty sure if you go in with a good attitude and willing to work with them things should go well.
I didn't buy my M from Clear lake Infiniti, but I really wanted too over North Houston Infiniti. The salesman (Luis) at Clear Lake Infiniti was one of the best sales persons I've ever dealt with. Though he could not locate the exact M45 I was looking for at the time. I actually gave him almost 2mo to try and find me the M45 I was looking for. I eventually ended up purchasing it from North Houston Infiniti. The purchasing experience there was sub par. I still have to bring it back into them to have it detailed and few items addressed that they said they would fix before they gave it to me the day I purchased it. They didn't fix 75% of the issues, nor did they detail it. They said they could finally get to it this Tuesday (01/13/2009). That is really irritating knowing they would put me off like that. They should have addressed those issues prior to handing me the keys. I even let the sales person know I was unhappy about his attitude and their quality of service they gave me. All he said was, "Bring it back and we will get to it next week.". Well it actually took them over two weeks to take care of the issues. I was even told I would be contacted for an appointment to have it brought in. I had to call them! This was yesterday. They never called me. The salesman told me that he about to call me....oh good one....Back to the point, Clear Lake Infiniti does Rock! After I get my M back from North Houston Infiniti next week, it will be only going to Clear Lake Infiniti from there on out.Sorry for the long story! I guess I needed to vent some.

J

lahad38
Car: 2003 M45 Infiniti

'03 M4557,500Under Elite Extended WarrantyAustin, TX02/20/09

Fuel gauge worked erratically, mostly when getting near empty it would sometimes read 1/2 tank with 345 miles - no way!

Took it to dealership today and was told it was instrument cluster that needed replacing. Said it was not covered by my elite extended warranty and would cost $500+. I told them I belonged to this forum and posts indicated that, indeed, the elite warranty covered this problem. Dealership said they would rehuddle and let me know on Monday.

Will post result later!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”