M45 Fuel Gauge problem??? Post here if you have/had it!!!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Ryan Heo
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

I reported the issue on Mar. 20th. but I haven't got any phone call yet.
Did I something wrong?

ODI Numbers Searched: 10440528

http://nhthqnwas700.nhtsa.dot.gov/compl ... furl=email

Thanks.

Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

What makes you think you're getting a phone call?

Ryan Heo
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

Sorry, I was confused.
Anyway, I talked with a dealer in IL. He got a warning about the recall but doesn't receive any specific notification or parts yet. He told me that it will take a month or more to get my car serviced.

onebassplayer
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

Just called the dealer and they said they had not even heard of the recall. Says they won't start fixing the issue until mid April.

lswaidz
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

I'm assuming 8,120 = all 03/04's? Kinda sucks because I live ~200 miles from the nearest Infiniti dealer now... at least it'll finally get fixed... gonna be weird having a working gauge again, so used to filling up at a certain mileage.

RalphKramden
Car: 2003 Infinity M45

I filed my NHTSA report on the fuel gauge almost two years ago (see my August 2010 post above). This week I got an official recall notice - it will be fixed for free by Infinity - "repair the fuel gauge circuit board". I'm not sure this is the problem since posts here reference the trunk sending unit, float arm, and gauge cluster - but I will demand it be fixed if the it is something besides the circuit board.

I called Roswell Infinity today and they know about the recall and gave me an appointment tomorrow.

The recall says "If you have previously paid to have it repaired, you may be eligible for reimbursement". If you have a problem, call Infinity @ 800-662-6200, NHTSA hotline @ 888-327-4236, or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Like others posting here - losing about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Changed the spark plugs, put a quart of Lucas oil treatment in with an oil change, and am replacing the valve cover gasket while checking valve clearance. We'll see if those things work.

Also, the trunk closing struts no longer pop the trunk, but I hope to find after market ones a lot cheaper than what Infinity will charge.

Se@ttleM35S
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

I've owned my 06 M35 Sport (56k mi) for about 3 months. When I first filled up, the gauage wouldn't move off of half a tank. Then, I reset the odo, including the fuel economy tracker under Settings. The next time I went to fill up, the gauge moved and has been working fine ever since... This thread's making me a little nervous though. I may check with my local dealership and see what the deal is for replacing if necessary.

sebvox
Car: 1995 Q45 **R.I.P.** 2003 M45

RalphKramden wrote:I filed my NHTSA report on the fuel gauge almost two years ago (see my August 2010 post above). This week I got an official recall notice - it will be fixed for free by Infinity - "repair the fuel gauge circuit board". I'm not sure this is the problem since posts here reference the trunk sending unit, float arm, and gauge cluster - but I will demand it be fixed if the it is something besides the circuit board.

I called Roswell Infinity today and they know about the recall and gave me an appointment tomorrow.

The recall says "If you have previously paid to have it repaired, you may be eligible for reimbursement". If you have a problem, call Infinity @ 800-662-6200, NHTSA hotline @ 888-327-4236, or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Like others posting here - losing about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Changed the spark plugs, put a quart of Lucas oil treatment in with an oil change, and am replacing the valve cover gasket while checking valve clearance. We'll see if those things work.

Also, the trunk closing struts no longer pop the trunk, but I hope to find after market ones a lot cheaper than what Infinity will charge.
I had my car in to the dealership for the recall fix. I had them print out the recall fix procedure so I could see exactly what they did to fix it. They basically remove the instrument cluster, remove the back of the cluster and replace it with a new cover which now adds a "sub-amplifier". They also add a new wiring harness and some padding in the cluster cavity. My fuel gauge now works. People suspected the fuel sending unit because that 's the the code it would throw. People also would take the fuel pump out and "fix" the float. This seemed logical as the fuel gauge seemed to be stuck. Others also have resoldered the pins on the circuit board. But have no fear, the recall fixes the problem.

Columbia CS1525-90 gas struts on the bay for $12.99 ea. The OEM struts are 80 pound force, the Columbias are 90 pound.

RalphKramden
Car: 2003 Infinity M45

sebvox - Thanks. Had it fixed today. They didn't tell me what they did, but I did notice they reset my trip odometer which I was using for fill-ups.

They wanted to charge me $124 to do a diagnostic check for the check engine light. I have had it done for free at Autozone and by my local mechanic - it came on a few months after the fuel gauge quit working and the readout said it was for the fuel sending unit (wrong). It worked in Winter months when the temperature is low and the check engine light goes out, so I knew it was an electrical connection problem. I told the rep., but he didn't believe me. He put on my paperwork that I refused to have a necessary diagnostic. The check engine light was out today once fixed, so I went back in and told the rep. He wasn't very happy since I previously told him I don't pay $124/ hour labor dealership mechanic fees - I have a good local mechanic @ $65/hr. He put "client uses 3rd party maintenance/repair" on my paperwork, too.

jjmdoucet
Car: 2003 INFINITI M45

Took car to infiniti told them about the recall. They look it up told me to come back in week as they had to order the cluster part that needed to be fixed. The fix was done and now the gauge works. They also paid me back for the fuel sending unit that they replaced tinking that that was the problem. Now my only question is why did they take 8 years to come up with the recall and why where they not admitting that ther was something wrong ???

Double E

Because the fine folks on this forum had not joined together to complain on the NHSTA website yet. I bet 30 complaints were added from the efforts of folks on this site, including mine.

Nissan wasn't going to turn down money for repairs we needed and sure were not going to give money back for the repairs previously performed ...until told to do so.

It's typical to the automotive/specialized machinery business with regulatory oversight.

Boon
Car: 03 M45 Black on Black Crime

I sold my M45 back in 2011, and am now looking at purchasing an M56, so I figured I'd come back and check out my old friends at NicoClub to see how things were going. I had forgotten all about this thread and decided to see how things went. I was happy to see that everyone's hard work payed off, and this turned into a full fledged recall. Thanks to everyone that posted, and to those that took it to the next level and filed complaints with the NHSTA. You guys rock!

Double E

:-)

larmond
Car: 2003 Infinity m45

[quote="Boston Beast"]03 M45
49k miles

I am having mine fixed at BBR REman here in MA as we speak - should get it back tomorrow.
I hope not to have any more problems. This is what the gage cluster looks like once it was removed from dash.
I shipped it out yesterday and getting it back tomorrow - not a bad deal $295 after like 20 bucks each way and insurance.

Hello Boston Beast. I'm having problem with fuel gage cluster reading full when empty. I need info on where you sent yours for repairs.

MinnesotaM45
Car: 03 M45

Had mine fixed 4 months ago and works great!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”