M45 Fuel Gauge problem??? Post here if you have/had it!!!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

Based on this description, I might be in luck: http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/show ... hp?t=24703

I'm pulling the sending unit & inspecting in a couple of weeks.

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

A 2008 post comes back?

Double E

Yep... WIth 6 pages of posts, it never really went away.

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

Double E wrote:Yep... WIth 6 pages of posts, it never really went away.
I guess what shocks me most is that this has been a consistent issue that in my OP Infiniti should be fixing for free. I haven't had the issue, yet. It just annoy's me that so many posts have been made about this issue. I am not annoyed at the posters, I am disgusted that high end cars such as these are having relatively "stupid" problems. People pay top dollar for these machines and deserve better treatment. If Boon is trying to build up a case againist Infiniti on this matter I full support his efforts. If you go through the posts, its seems to me the same issues pop up consistently regardless of the year or model of the car. Makes me very leary of buying another one.

Double E

It is a stupid problem to have from a high end manufacturer, yes.

I will give credit, however, to the general relaibility though. No issues with:
Coil packs
Cat converters
Head gaskets
radiators
transmission
alternator
fuel injection
crank position sensor
knock sensor
sunroof
radio
lights
o2 sensors
heater coil

...you get the idea. In general, it's been pretty good (to me) for 7-8 years but yes, the fuel gague issue should not have happened.

Ryan Heo
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

I wish we could find a simple remedy like resoldering some pins of the cluster for the time being.

Double E

I think it will actually be simpler/easier to go after the sending unit as described in the link above. I have yet to see what it takes to get the cluster out and diagnose it.

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

I just saw this:

NHTSA has opened a preliminary defect investigation into the fuel gauges found on 2003 to 2004 model-year Infiniti M45 cars. According to a blurb on ConsumerReports.com, the agency opened the investigation due to an increasing number of consumer complaints about inaccurate fuel-level readings from the cars' gauge; the gauge doesn’t read empty, yet the vehicle has run out of fuel.

good luck, Freddie

PS now is the time to take action, everyone with the problem should call.

digimurda
Car: 2006 INFINITI M35X

06M4.5 wrote:I just saw this:

NHTSA has opened a preliminary defect investigation into the fuel gauges found on 2003 to 2004 model-year Infiniti M45 cars. According to a blurb on ConsumerReports.com, the agency opened the investigation due to an increasing number of consumer complaints about inaccurate fuel-level readings from the cars' gauge; the gauge doesn’t read empty, yet the vehicle has run out of fuel.

good luck, Freddie

PS now is the time to take action, everyone with the problem should call.

What's the phone number?

06M4.5

Ryan Heo

I filed my case about 1 week ago.
My M45 was stopped in the middle of passing lane on I-75.

digimurda

How long will it take the NHTSA to come up with a decision???

candymanfb
Car: 2004 M45 - Every possible option on an M!

Ryan Heo wrote:I filed my case about 1 week ago.
My M45 was stopped in the middle of passing lane on I-75.
Ryan,

The NHTSA would like to see more stories like yours. Your situation could have easily resulted in an injury from another car not seeing you stopped. They want to make sure your experience doesn"t happen to others.
I'm glad you're okay and you filed the complaint!

candymanfb

Here is another topic created about this issue by another member. It actually lists the contact info for a NHTSA engineer. I will be emailing him shortly.

post6117631.html?hilit=email NHTSA m45#p6117631

digimurda

jwong77 wrote:It seems BBA Reman is no longer offering this service. When I try to purchase the exchange from here http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Deta ... oduct=1681, it says "Exchange Unit P.O.A."

Does this mean we are out of luck, and for those who repaired their own gauge cluster by soldering pins 30 and 31, do you have any pics?

Thanks in advance!

What's the phone number to BBA Reman?

raregems
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Guys, the NHTSA is investigating 2003-04 Infiniti M45 Fuel Gauge Errors. Please go to their website and file a complaint, apparently there were only 43 customer complaints but I'm sure hundreds if not thousands just didn't complain with the NHTSA at http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Infiniti should have recalled the instrument cluster but figured that it wood be too expensive and meanwhile they can make more money from replacing them to suckers like us. But :nono: they need to pay and refund all those of us who got screwed.

Ryan Heo

This article should be stuck to the front page of forum.

Double E

Update: I pulled the fuel sending unit out of the tank this weekend.

Not too tough to do. (Take EVERYTHING out of the trunk. remove 8 bolts disconnect wire & fuel line. Be ready to clean up some spilled fuel.

My sending unit looked fine. Even the sock-filter was clean. I was able to turn on the ignition & actuate the float which in turn, moved the fuel gauge. It appears that mine ('04) just had an issue with the float arm getting stuck in the UP position.

Put it back together & it's good so far.
I'll report back if it's dead again.

Skunkworx
Car: 2003 M45 Black/Black

03 M45
Currently 79k
Peachtree City, GA

Fuel gauge false reading left my wife with my 2 kids stranded just short of a cross street intersection with a divided highway. Fortunately, she ran out of gas before entering the intersection. This occurred at 42k. We've been using the trip odometer ever since.

Contacted Roswell Infiniti who advised that the car was not under warranty and there was no recall. I have contacted Infiniti Consumer Affairs (ICA) citing this thread and the article from Consumer Reports about the NHTSA Investigation.

I would strongly advise any others with the Gauge problem to contact NHTSA as well.

I will update upon contact from ICA.

Double E

4 fuel tank full refills since I removed the tank sending unit to find a stuck float.

It's been fine since. ('04 Y34)

Ryan Heo

I got P0462 code yesterday.

ccolquitt
Car: 2004 M45

Mine failed at 72K miles. Going 70 in rush hour traffic on the Parkway. Coasting in neutral, 4 right lane changes later I'm safe. That was 18 months ago, haven't looked at the gauge since and pay no attention to low level light. Fill tank between 340 and 350 miles on odometer with my normal highway heavy driving. Would not trust car with my wife or daughter unless tank is filled first. Is this right, no way.

Add a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Different story.

I filed with NTSA site, will post if I hear from them.

I'll leave the car in the left lane next time that might be a more effective message.

richtree

Mine failed around 60,000 --- I didn't know what it was until 2 or 3 times of running out of gas when it showed half a tank...then I was towed to a local shop because I was Out of Warranty....they replaced the pump/sending unit and overall cost was 800-1000 bucks apprx ...

then 2 weeks later same problem...I drove to infiniti dealership and had to pay the 140 evaluation fee for them to sell me its the cluster and I probably have an electrical short now ....I then had to buy a used cluster just to operate my car without it running out of gas....all of this has cost me 1000-1300 plus the the airbag and abs lights are now on.......

I simply can't take it and its a shame that infinti told me "Its a common problem that occurs" --- I have a cracked headlight assembly and infiniti charges 1000 for a new headlight on a vechile that is worth 9000 ------overall I spent 45 thousand on this car, and I had to but it 5000 more it problem after problem...

I had a Maxima and traded it for the M45 --- I think I am done with Infinity....Especially after I wrote a letter and they wouldn't even give me a free evaluation at a dealership....

My dealership was permanently shutdown during this process and I was about a month past my service for Roadside Assistance when I first ran out of gas due to fuel gage problem., and Infiniti told me 160 for a tow --- for their problem.....

Not to mention that everyone here had to carry around a gas container in their trunk for a few months.....

People used to stop me everywhere because they loved the look of the car, its a shame that my response is "Worst Car I ever Had" and move on....

by the way, I also needed a part that had to be sent from Japan, and Infiniti took 33 days to get it to my mechanic only to send the Right instead of the LEFT.....so 45 days for a part where my car sat on a lift.....

If you don't have a dealership close to you...30mins plus for me...The company just doesn't care about you, especially if you have a mechanic trying to help figure out wants wrong when your car/gague when the dealership says "Its a common problem"

So mad.....

-rich

richtree

candymanfb

Were you able to file complaints with the NHTSA regarding all these issues you had?
richtree wrote: ...

then 2 weeks later same problem...I drove to infiniti dealership and had to pay the 140 evaluation fee for them to sell me its the cluster and I probably have an electrical short now ....I then had to buy a used cluster just to operate my car without it running out of gas....all of this has cost me 1000-1300 plus the the airbag and abs lights are now on.......

-rich

digimurda

We finally got thd recall!!!! Yessssssd, i just got the e-mail from NHTSA, check your emails people!

candymanfb

They also owe me some money back from diagnostics!
digimurda wrote:We finally got thd recall!!!! Yessssssd, i just got the e-mail from NHTSA, check your emails people!
Vehicle Make / Model:
Model Year(s):
INFINITI / M45

2003-2004

Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Mfr's Report Date: MAR 05, 2012

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V088000

NHTSA Action Number: PE11038

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Potential Number of Units Affected: 8,120

Summary:
NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003-2004 INFINITI M45 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM MARCH 7, 2002, THROUGH JUNE 3, 2004. DUE TO A CIRCUIT BOARD FAILURE, THE FUEL GAUGE MAY READ A FUEL LEVEL HIGHER THAN ACTUALLY EXISTS. AS A RESULT, THE VEHICLE MAY RUN OUT OF GAS WITHOUT NOTICE.

Consequence:
THE VEHICLE MAY STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
NISSAN WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE CIRCUIT BOARD FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN IN MID-APRIL 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Double E

Sweet! Y34 owners unite!

(Thanks Al Gore for inventing the Internet!)

candymanfb

I just got off the phone with them (Infiniti Consumer Affairs).
Have the campaign information handy, because the first response I got was "your car is not covered by this campaign". It was only after I provided the NHTSA info and inquired what the criteria was for the recall - then I got a confirmation my car was covered.

I was told I'll need to contact a dealership and make an appointment. The procedure.

06M4.5

It's about time!!!!!! :dblthumb:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”