Izento's CA18DET Build Thread

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

If you don't mind how much were the cams and oil cooler also where did you find them?

Izento
Car: RPS13

I got my Poncams for like $500 and oil cooler, I forgot how much I got the oil cooler for, but I got it for deals and it was second hand and it came with an oil filter relocation. FRSport.com should have Tomei cams and as for the oil cooler, SummitRacing is a good site for that.

Izento

Bought some essentials for the swap. I didn't know so many things were needed when getting a T28!

So now the turbo is on the manifold, the manifold is partly bolted onto the head, but then I realized one of the exhaust mani gaskets is on backwards......f***! So now I have to take it off again and flip that gasket. The hard thing about all of this is 2 studs came out with the nut attached, so it's very hard to put the exhaust manifold on while juggling the studs and slipping the gasket on at the same time.

Anyways, more progress to come tomorrow since I finally have a couple of days off. And I still don't have a way to get my stock intake on, so I have to run to the store eventually during all this...again. Sucks not having a mentor to prevent the screw ups.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Just keep at it, you'll get there.

Sideways s12

Izento wrote:I got my Poncams for like $500 and oil cooler, I forgot how much I got the oil cooler for, but I got it for deals and it was second hand and it came with an oil filter relocation. FRSport.com should have Tomei cams and as for the oil cooler, SummitRacing is a good site for that.

Awesome thanks I'll check that out...

Izento

Wrong damn coupler! The turbo intake is 2.75", this coupler is 2.75" to 2". But it still doesn't fit because getting on the lip means the coupler has to stretch too much.....ugh....ebay again. 3" to 2.25" coming in 2 days.

Izento

So I had to cut the T28 drain pipe because it was getting in the way of the steering rack. This was somewhat annoying that it didn't work stock, but whatever.

The boost really kicks in at 4k and goes all the way to redline! And let's just say that I haven't been scared of my own car in a long time ;)

Also repositioned my hot pipe, power steering res and refilled it with lucas ps fluid.

More to come when I get the downpipe attached and car tuned with PFC.

float_6969

congrats! glad to hear you're up and running.

cbh148
Car: 2000 Civic Si, 1993 240sx Hatch CA18

:bigthumb: Thumbs up for another running ca18!

Izento

I had some spare time and decided to spray my heat shield. Took a while since I wanted to run the turbo without the shield to see if there were leaks. Something small but looks a lot better. Tomorrow comes the boost controller and Monday is the down pipe attachment. Found a good welder.

Izento

So, took the car to an exhaust shop today and got the 2.5" down pipe on, sounds slightly more hoarse, but not very noticeable, the car is still somewhat quiet when compared to modified cars.

These velcro pads are pretty damn useful and stick very well to the plastic material inside and metal in the engine bay.

Also installed my Greddy Profec B! I must say, it was a little more routing of s*** than I thought, but I got it all worked through, tested it with the low boost setting and got it set to about 11 psi and holy damn! The car is really fast now. I didn't set the high boost setting, I'll leave that for the dyno.

More news after I take the car to the tuner this Friday and get my Z32, Power FC and injectors installed.

float_6969

Congrats on the new fast!

Sideways s12

What size injectors are you running?

Izento

750 injectors will be installed. Currently its stock injectors.

Sideways s12

Oh ok Im.going to be running 560's from and evo to start....

Izento

Yeah, you can use those or Rx7 injectors.

srt4monster

sweet build. i take it you live around tacoma? im in auburn and there are a few CA's around. mines in a AE86

Izento

srt4monster wrote:sweet build. i take it you live around tacoma? im in auburn and there are a few CA's around. mines in a AE86
Nah, but close. Would definitely like to check out your 86 though one day at a meet or something, CAs are too rare here in the NW.

So, I have some bearing problems while on the dyno but they caught it at very early stages. Looking to throw some new ones on and get this thing rolling again to the track. This will all be done at the tuner since I am far too inexperienced to tackle internal work without personal guidance.

Personally I don't like Evergreen and I wish they would bring back PGP, but it'll have to tie me over until then (or maybe if The Ridge opened up for drift).

srt4monster

while you are at it get your oil pan modify for more oil capacity.

Izento

srt4monster wrote:while you are at it get your oil pan modify for more oil capacity.
Sadly I don't have the funds to do that. I barely have enough to get those bearings in and finish up the tune, otherwise I would. Maybe I will pull the pan myself, cause it doesn't sound too hard since it's just taking off a pan and spilling oil everywhere (actually, on second though, my apartment manager might kill me).

Sideways s12

Where did you buy your t28? and how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking. I was going to run the precision 5252e but I need oversized pistons so I'm going to run the t28 if i can find one for a decent and not made in china lol

Izento

Sideways s12 wrote:Where did you buy your t28? and how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking. I was going to run the precision 5252e but I need oversized pistons so I'm going to run the t28 if i can find one for a decent and not made in china lol
Well, it all depends on what you are going to do with the car. If you are streeting, AutoX daily driving, I would suggest a ball bearing turbo, like the 2871r or S15 turbo. If you are tracking the car and don't have a great income, journal bearing is fine.

I personally got my turbo from http://www.AceUpMotorsports.com.

Sideways s12

Yeah i don't have a great income but it will my dd / track/ street

Izento

Sideways s12 wrote:Yeah i don't have a great income but it will my dd / track/ street
Then I would suggest a S14 or s15 t28 if you can find one in good condition. Also, since it's hot as f*** in Vegas, you definitely should focus on cooling first before upgrading your turbo. Think about FMIC, different thermostat and aftermarket radiator.

Sideways s12

Izento wrote:
Sideways s12 wrote:Yeah i don't have a great income but it will my dd / track/ street
Then I would suggest a S14 or s15 t28 if you can find one in good condition. Also, since it's hot as f*** in Vegas, you definitely should focus on cooling first before upgrading your turbo. Think about FMIC, different thermostat and aftermarket radiator.

Lol I have all that covered I got a decent sized ic I picked up the mishimoto rad and rad fans and the thermostat that I'm running is pretty good with the stock s12 rad with the fan I was running last summer....

Izento

More progress!

I got a racing oil filter from Canton Racing, got the oil bypass welded, so all oil is going through the filter. I also put on a NRG magnetic drain plug. Idled through with a change of oil, refilled with new oil and then got some extra magnets on the oil pan and idled the engine again.

I don't have the knowledge or space to do internal work, so currently the car sits at UP Garage, getting torn apart at the bottom end and bearings replaced. I'll have to wait to finish the tune later down the road as I am starting school this fall.

More to come with the status of the car at the shop. I'll get pics of the dirty oil filter element if there's anything interesting in there :)

Izento

Here's my crank. Rod bearing #4 is scored.

So, now the simple job of rod bearings has turned into taking the engine out and grinding the crank. The car is currently getting this process done, crank has yet to come out but engine is being prepped for removal. This s*** is costing way more than I thought it would -_-

float_6969

Sorry to hear the bad news :(

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

#4 looks like it can be polished-up. That's just from viewing the pictures less the pictures of the bearings and rod themselves. For peace of mind, just get it re-ground.

Izento

So, I went to the shop the other day, they have my motor out, on a stand and nothing was out of the ordinary when they took it out, didn't have any troubles, which is awesome (less expensive :). The owner was debating with the 2nd lead mechanic on whether my rods would need resizing. 2nd was saying that the rod may be out of round because his experience with Sr20s when they spin bearings is that the rods go bad too. The owner explained that it's not always what happens and CAs are a slightly different motor, so it's anyone's ball game. But I didn't even drive on my bearings so I don't believe the roundness was sacrificed (I hope). They haven't called me back on whether the rods were screwed, so I'm gonna say I'm good to go, lol.

More news later.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”