CHATROOM: Fuel / Gas Gauge Issues

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

My fuel gauge never reads full. It's always one bar from filled. Is anyone else having the same problem?? Also, when refilling with gas I have always waited a couple of clicks before I stop filling with gas on all my cars in the past. Always worked great for me. Now for this Rogue, I find it stops well short of filling my tank using 2 click rule from past cars. I can get an additional 3 or 4 dollars of gas, in the tank. Of coarse it never reads filled. What gives? Is anyone else experiancing the samething or is something wrong? I did mention this to the dealer at the first oil change and of course they blew me off...

SD_Rogue
Car: Rogue

I have noticed the gauge issue too! When I picked it up at the dealer it was full, but every time I've filled it up since the gauge never goes to full.

Haven't gone for my first oil change yet, but I'll certainly ask them about it then.

wbloomfield

SD_Rogue wrote:I have noticed the gauge issue too! When I picked it up at the dealer it was full, but every time I've filled it up since the gauge never goes to full.

Haven't gone for my first oil change yet, but I'll certainly ask them about it then.
I just ran accross someone in a strip mall that had a Rogue. I parked near the person and just asked her if she had a problem like that and she said to me, yes. The gauge never seems to be filled and when she mentioned it at the first oil change, the dealer blew her off too. Her car came from a different dealer then mine. I have got a bad feeling that a pattern is developing here...

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

I have filled mine up twice since I got it. Same issue, never seems to read full.

crypto1300
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Iridium Graphite Premium Package

Hi, I've had mine through 3 gas fills and so far haven't had this problem. Always registers full, and I only let it click once while filling.

wbloomfield

wbloomfield wrote:My fuel gauge never reads full. It's always one bar from filled. Is anyone else having the same problem?? Also, when refilling with gas I have always waited a couple of clicks before I stop filling with gas on all my cars in the past. Always worked great for me. Now for this Rogue, I find it stops well short of filling my tank using 2 click rule from past cars. I can get an additional 3 or 4 dollars of gas, in the tank. Of coarse it never reads filled. What gives? Is anyone else experiancing the samething or is something wrong? I did mention this to the dealer at the first oil change and of course they blew me off...
Well, for the first time in awhile, I filled up my car and it read full on the gauge. This is only the second or third time its read full ever. I bought it in Oct.

Lightforce18
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Black on Black. SL AWD. Leather. Moonroof. Premium.

my gauge reads full when i fill mine.

mhudgens

This is most likely a saftey control at the gas station. They have a sensor that tells the pump to stop pumping so it does not overfill the car and create a mess. This would be consistant if you use the same station use the auto fill lever. Change in stations may be why you can sometime register full.

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

filled mine up 3 times so far and no problem. always fills up all the way every time.

wbloomfield

mhudgens wrote:This is most likely a saftey control at the gas station. They have a sensor that tells the pump to stop pumping so it does not overfill the car and create a mess. This would be consistant if you use the same station use the auto fill lever. Change in stations may be why you can sometime register full.
I have tried that already... No luck !!

SD_Rogue

I just filled it again, at the same station I always do, and this time it read full. It makes no sense...

EZ300
Car: '08 Rogue S AWD

i wouldn't consider this an issue with the gauge reading full or not, what i would be concerned is when it reads empty when there's fuel, or when it reads full, then conks out on you.

my 2 cents.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

You gotta see the dealer on that one. Something's wrong.

wbloomfield

SD_Rogue wrote:I just filled it again, at the same station I always do, and this time it read full. It makes no sense...
I know !!

wbloomfield

wbloomfield wrote:
I know !!
So, assuming that there is some kind of problem, does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on?? I will have this looked at the next time, maybe by another dealer when I am in for an OLF change...

wifes rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 S AWD

Well this is the second time this has happened. My wife filled up the tank on the Rogue, and the last bar on the gas gauge doesn't come on, like its not full.The first time she filled it, she drove about 3 km, and arrived home with the last 1 bar down and told me. I started the car and it was not on but then went completely fully.Now, yesterday she filled up again but this time we have driven the car about 30 km and still the last light is not on. And when she fills it, she can see the gas, so we know its full.

Any ideas, what it could be? Ill be going for an oil change in the new year and to see about the recalls, Im going to mention it then also.

Cypress_1973
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium

Here is a link from previous threads to follow about the gas gauge. Quite the common problem. I have the issue too. Scroll down halfway the thread and the fuel gauge TSB is there.

zerothread/340557

wifes rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 S AWD

thanks for the help cypress

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

No big deal, the dealer will replace it for free on warranty, just tell them the problem.

stephenpl
Car: rogue

I had the same problem, dealer changed a senser and that fixed the problem. There is a bulletin in this from Nissan and dealers are aware of it.

Cypress_1973
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium

I'm actually getting my fuel sender unit replaced this coming Monday now for the problem. Had enough of the erroneous readings.

sml
Car: 09 Rogue SL AWD

I also couldn't get the last bar to show on the gas gauge after filling up and aftert Nissan replaced the fuel sender unit it still doesn't show full. I don't really care about it anymore.

ta1yn
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

I am also having this problem. Unfortunately, my rogue is out of warranty and the dealership is going to be charging me $400 to get this fixed. Waiting for the parts to come in now.

kerrton

That is unfortunate considering there is a TSB on the subject, and the problem is due to a defect from the factory rather than driver wear and tear causing failure.

Since it's an original defect I would recommend being assertive and asking if they'll cover it "in kind", since your mileage has nothing to do with the repair and everything to do with a factory defect, AND the timing of the TSB. If the problem was caught earlier and the TSB released earlier, you may have been able to have caught the problem under warranty.

For all of these reasons I'd say your chances should be good to have Nissan cover the cost of this repair, they may just need some persuading - give my ideas a try and you may get a pleasant surprise. It can't hurt to try! Good luck.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I've had this problem for over a 18 Months now and after replacing the level sensors twice and the gauge cluster once the service department has referred the problem to the Nissan Technical Department Black Hole. Everytime I go in there I ask about the status and I am told "Nothing Yet". I guess Nissan's solution is to ignore the problem until I go away. I hope you have better luck getting it fixed than I did..............

philipa_240sx

My Rogue was 'missing the last bar' for about the first year. It has since disappeared.

There appears to be a calibration issue with the fuel level sensor. Mine was likely right at the limit and maybe age/wear has affected it so it back to normal.

More information on the repair can be found in Nissan Technical Bulletin NTB09-009.

philipa_240sx

A TSB does not 'imply' the warranty is extended for that particular part or service. Your vehicle is still subject to the original warranty terms.

However I do agree with Kerrton, approach the dealer to see what they will do. Many times they will contact Nissan who many cover all or some of the costs as a 'good will' gesture. Be persistent but not to the point of being a PITA.

P.S. I can supply you the TSB (via e-mail) if you wish.

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Funny I just went grocery shopping and had to fill up....I usually don't fill up, put $40 at a time so I never get to see if I get the last bar.

Well after reading this I decided to fill up to see, and of course I too am missing the last bar on a fill up.

The question is does this only happen on the last bar or do you guys think its always short a bar no matter where the level is?

kerrton

Based on my experience, it's only at the top end where the bar is missing.

Be careful at the bottom end of the gauge, don't assume that it's ready a bar low, I think it's fairly accurate at the low end and I wouldn't want you to run out of fuel because you assumed you had an extra bar when you didn't. That is why I was happy to have my fuel sender replaced on warranty because it was pretty deceiving, and I'd recommend you doing the same.

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Actually yesterday after I came on here to report the missing bar I had at the top after a fill up I had to go back out low and behold the gas gauge read full.

I guess like a few here I need to drive around or let the gas expand with heat so it gets an accurate reading.

So, I guess I have no issues.

Return to “Rogue Forum”