CHATROOM: Fuel / Gas Gauge Issues

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

I still sporadically lose the top bar on the gauge. Honestly, I do not worry about it since the rest of the gauge reads accurately right down to the low fuel warning light.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

We could have probably lived with it if it came out only 1 bar low, but on some fill-ups, it'd only read 3/4 full. I haven't had that problem with my 350Z (knock on wood). Sometimes my Mitsubishi Eclipse would take 5 minutes to register full after a fill-up, but at least it'd get there eventually.

nbguy66
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD with leather and tech package - black

Odd problem here - my tank was filled to 3/4. My wife starts the Rogue after work and notices the tank is almost empty, she gets 50km left warning and the Service Engine light is on. She exist the Rogue, unscrews and screws the cap back on. Gauge no reading correctly but the Service Engine light is still on. My dealership order a part to fix the problem of the gauge not showing full after a fill-up, but this is an odd problem.

We also noticed that after the last fill-up the top two gauge lights were not full. After about 75 km, the gauge showed we had more gas than when we started. The Rogue is certainly a miraculous vehicle.

We will be getting the tank problem fixed along with the tire pressure sensor fix once the all stock rims and tires are back on. Almost time to get those winter tires off!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Had 3 bars yesterday, so I decided to fill up. Stop til it clicked. Then continued until it clicked. Then squeezed to make it even steven.

SO around 12- 13 gallons if I am not mistaken.

Point is, missing the first orange bar again. Weather was less warmer pass couple of days. Who knows why..........

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

filled up the rogue last week and according to the trip computer it has 120km so far BUT the gas gauge has not decreased, it only went down 1 bar yesterday...im thinking the reading should be a lot lower than just minus 1 bar...

I had the dealership look at the missing one bar problem last month, and they changed out the fuel sender unit...I refilled once after that and the bar finally showed and the gauge went down as the fuel was consumed, then refilled again last week and now the gauge isnt going down (only 1 bar so far)

09 SL AWD w/ 4988km on odometer

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I usually lose the first bar after at least 160-180 kms. Give it some time.

casperfun

Well I filled up today with 16.136 gallons when I had 1 bar left. The gas gauge had ALL the orange bars. The trip computer said 92 degrees outside.

I know, it's kinda sad when this has to be good news for people like myself. And for those who care about these updates to show your not alone.

casperfun

Well you know I got gas yesterday. So today the first orange bar disappears after the usual 40-45 miles (give or take a few) and early on the day I remember it being around 299-300 dte or mls on the trip computer.

WELLLLLLLLL....the first orange bar re-appeared at 54-55 miles and disappeared after 55.6 miles. I thought cool....my tank is magically making more gas with the re-appearing 1st orange bar. Outside temp said 77 degrees. Also the DTE went to 330, 326, 324,315, eventually 311 when I was in my driveway. Also final miles driven so far was 66.5.

please feel free to interpret my findings to your desire. I understand this trip computer is not accurate. A couple of weeks ago I went from 20.9 mpg to 21.1 mpg. I dont watch that screen as much anymore. I been looking at the mls or dte as you might prefer and make it a game trying to increase it when I drive in conjunction with the garmin eco-drive system.

my 2cents

casperfun

Well I lost the 2nd orange bar around 75 miles driven. The mls(dte) is 311. SO folks that means 386 on my 16gal tank. That comes to around 24.12mpg. (while the trip computer says 21.1 mpg avereage)

I know, I know.....that the trip computer is not accurate on the mpg. But I personally feel the mls(dte) is KINDA accurate. Its no big deal if its not.I like watching the mls to help me improve mileage because looking at the average mpg screen takes forever to change and see improvement.(as in weeks on end)

But with the mls, you can make it go higher or lower depending on how you drive which is good real time feedback in improving gas mileage.

I know this post might belong in the gas mileage section. But really its me trying to detail my experience with my first missing orange fuel bar and my mileage details during this time for those who might be interested.

Hopefully, I'm getting better mileage while studying my missing orange bar situation. Mostly city driving and occassional highway. Its getting warm, different fuel formulation? who knows.......but seeing the mls go from 298 yesterday to 330 to even today going to 315 and 326 and again settling to 315 gives me the fuzzie wuzzies and makes me all warm inside. Oh joy. I never bothered having Nissan replace the fuel sending unit because it seems no one really knows. I read people in here changing it twice and STILL having the problem. Hopefully, people such as myself describing their situation would help others understand their predicament if they come across the dreaded missing fuel bar.

Pescakl1

casperfun wrote:WELLLLLLLLL....the first orange bar re-appeared at 54-55 miles and disappeared after 55.6 miles. I thought cool....my tank is magically making more gas with the re-appearing 1st orange bar.
That is normal: Fuel getting warmer by circulating around the engine (not all fuel is used, some is returned to the tank) can make a bar reappeared if you are close to move from one bar to another.

Pescakl1

casperfun wrote:Well I lost the 2nd orange bar around 75 miles driven. The mls(dte) is 311. SO folks that means 386 on my 16gal tank. That comes to around 24.12mpg. (while the trip computer says 21.1 mpg avereage)

I know, I know.....that the trip computer is not accurate on the mpg. But I personally feel the mls(dte) is KINDA accurate. Its no big deal if its not.I like watching the mls to help me improve mileage because looking at the average mpg screen takes forever to change and see improvement.(as in weeks on end)
You know you can reset your average mpg display anytime you want, don't you? Of course, DTE display is automatically reset when you fill up as it is based on your fuel tank level.

If you do it when you fill up your tank, you will get a better precision on your driving techniques if you want to improve your fuel consumption.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:
That is normal: Fuel getting warmer by circulating around the engine (not all fuel is used, some is returned to the tank) can make a bar reappeared if you are close to move from one bar to another.
Pescakl,

Sorry, but the old theory of fuel heating no longer applies.

Newer cars (almost anything produced in the last 7-10 years) use returnless fuel systems. On a returnless system, the fuel pressure regulator is located inside the fuel tank. Unused fuel never leaves the tank. This was done to avoid heating the fuel (as you describe) and increasing evaporative emissions.

Pescakl1

Double post , see below

Pescakl1

Oh, I did not know that. I wrote that because that is what usually happens to me: lose the 1st bar after about 180kms and sometimes it comes back for a few kms.

BTW, you stole my 1 again , I need my 1 or I am not complete (full name is Klin). I want my 1 back .

lowquality
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue S AWD

I bought a 2010 Rogue S AWD five days ago. The dealer filled the tank (probably overfilled). We've driven 160 miles and the gauge still shows as being completely full. You would think after a few years of the same problem Nissan would put their knuckle-heads together and implement a proper solution. This is a real safety issue - driving down a busy freeway and you run out of gas because the gauge is incorrect. Everyone should file a complaint with the NHTSA (http://www.safercar.gov/) for a recall.

harryg

lowquality wrote:I bought a 2010 Rogue S AWD five days ago. The dealer filled the tank (probably overfilled). We've driven 160 miles and the gauge still shows as being completely full. You would think after a few years of the same problem Nissan would put their knuckle-heads together and implement a proper solution. This is a real safety issue - driving down a busy freeway and you run out of gas because the gauge is incorrect. Everyone should file a complaint with the NHTSA (http://www.safercar.gov/) for a recall.
this happened to me also (just a few weeks after i had the fuel sending unit replaced for the dreaded one missing bar) mine went all the way up to 180km until the first bar dropped...its been going down normally ever since :)

philipa_240sx

I sometimes get 100+km (60 miles) before the first bar disappears. It's not a big deal really. I care more about accuracy when the tank is closer to empty... I know I'm not going to run out of gas when it's full!

wifes rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 S AWD

I just did a trip to New Jersey. I usually fill the tank to the point I can see the gas at the top of the tank.
I was able to get almost 300 kms before the first bar was gone. I was not going slow, I was pushing the Rogue to make sure it was reading correctly. Its strange though, it takes for ever for the first bar to go, but once it gets to half a tank the bars go very fast.
I was getting at least 700 kms and still had 1/4 tank left but would always fill at that time.
I had to have the sending unit replace before, it seems to still be working fine.... for now.

lowquality
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Mine finally started going down after 140 miles. They hold a lot more gas than 15 gallons. Lesson: don't overfill

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

koolyce wrote:My gauge is reading right now, but the temp is over 0C, so I'm pretty that the low temperature is making this behaviour.
You're probably right. Mine read one bar low after a fillup all winter and most of the spring. Now that it is in the 80's and 90's it reads all bars with a fillup.

ncsu

In Aug I had the missing bar issue. I made comment about it to the dealership when I was having the oil changed. They replaced both units in the tank. Since then, I will stay on full for 120-130 city miles before it moves. Once the first bar is gone, the next several will drop very quickly over the next 200 miles or so. This past week the gas light came on with 2 bars left at the bottom. After about 12 miles of mixed driving I stopped at the gas station and filled up with 15 gallons of gas.

I took the car in for oil change and asked them to look at this again. More parts on order, I hopefully will get this fixed.

I wish I had the missing bar back – it was at least accurate during the rest of the gauge.

casperfun

I feel your pain. I too have th missing bar occasionally, actually MOSTLY. The only reason I never had it fixed is because i am afraid my situation would get worse like what happen to you if one can consider that worse.

The details of fixing it in some of these posts made me even MORE not wanting to risk something going wrong.

I accepted the missing bar but at times, I see the first orange bar come on like a old visiting friend. :)

At least they have the analog needle for 2011.

Now only if they could put a locking door on the gas cap even though I noticed I can actually do without it. :rotfl

ncsu

The gas gauge saga continues…. This week te dealership has now replaced the sending unit (can’t remember exactly) along with a bill to Nissan for $414.xx.

I decided to run the tank until the low fuel light came on since the last time there was very little gas in the tank. This morning I filled up – 2 bars on the gauge and only drove 8-10 miles after the light came on, pumped 15.1 gallons into the tank. I am very concerned. Can anyone confirm how much fuel they put in their tank after the low fuel light comes on?

philipa_240sx

Usually it's around 15.8 gal (60l) when the light is on, but i have run it down to a single bar... 17.6gal (67l) once !!!! :eek:

Pescakl1

Last week, I put more than 68 liters in the tank (68.5l if I remember correctly) with no bar left on the gauge.
When I fill up the tank with one bar left, I usually put between 66 and 68l depending how long I wait.
When the light comes on, you can easily drive another 50 kms, and push it close to 100 kms if you have difficulties finding a gas station. Going further is at you own risk.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1, you are the KING of using every last drop of fuel in your tank. I just hope you never get stranded on the side of the road!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

This is really strange to me, I usually fill up shortly after the low-fuel light comes on and it takes 55 L. A few times I've gotten down to 1 bar but still could only fit 58 L in the tank. That is a full 10 L difference from what Pescakl has experienced, I can't figure out why that would be.

Pescakl1

philipa_240sx wrote:Pescakl1, you are the KING of using every last drop of fuel in your tank. I just hope you never get stranded on the side of the road!
I almost did that time: I was low on fuel (about 70 kms left) and my wife needed the car. I thought that was only to do some errands close by, so I told to let it like that as I don't like how she fills up the tank (and usually forget to reset the gauge and the scangauge). But she changed her mind and did a BIG errand, about 70-80 kms. And of course, did not fill up.
To add up, next morning, there was a snow storm and nobody was moving on the road with me looking at the gauge and expecting the car to die every minute. I was not too proud.
Still some communication problems with my wife.

You can push to the limit when you learned your car and you have the tools (scangauge for example) to do it.

Kerrton, I suppose you stop filling the tank after the first click? Just that would make a 4-5 liters difference between you and me. I always fill up until the end as I don't like stopping at gas stations. I did a post explaining how to know how much we can still put in it depending of reaction and noises. Basically, 4-5 liters after first click, a little more than 1 liter after hearing tubing gurgling.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:a little more than 1 liter after hearing tubing gurgling.
Yikes! Do you also use the trick of rocking the car back and forth to get the air out too? :chuckle:

hammester
Car: 2010 Wicked Black Nissan Rogue SL with leather and premium packages

Pescakl1 wrote:
philipa_240sx wrote:Pescakl1, you are the KING of using every last drop of fuel in your tank. I just hope you never get stranded on the side of the road!
I almost did that time: I was low on fuel (about 70 kms left) and my wife needed the car. I thought that was only to do some errands close by, so I told to let it like that as I don't like how she fills up the tank (and usually forget to reset the gauge and the scangauge). But she changed her mind and did a BIG errand, about 70-80 kms. And of course, did not fill up.
To add up, next morning, there was a snow storm and nobody was moving on the road with me looking at the gauge and expecting the car to die every minute. I was not too proud.
Still some communication problems with my wife.

You can push to the limit when you learned your car and you have the tools (scangauge for example) to do it.

Kerrton, I suppose you stop filling the tank after the first click? Just that would make a 4-5 liters difference between you and me. I always fill up until the end as I don't like stopping at gas stations. I did a post explaining how to know how much we can still put in it depending of reaction and noises. Basically, 4-5 liters after first click, a little more than 1 liter after hearing tubing gurgling.
Be prepared to be replacing your EVAP canister and valve soon then. These are known to break from being overfilled and continuing to fill up after it clicks

Return to “Rogue Forum”