CHATROOM: Fuel / Gas Gauge Issues

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I just went through this again. My service engine light came back on and it was the fuel sender unit again. They said there are 2 of them in the gas tank and apparently only changed out one last time. They also changed the fuel gauge for some reason.

It's only been a couple of days so I will have to wait and see until the fuel gets low.

walt227
Car: 2011 rogue sv awd

2010 Rogue SV..... My fuel gauge works but seems to be backloaded. I pretty much go through about 12 or the Rogue's 16 gallon capacity and my gauge reads 1/2 full or 1/2 empty if you prefer. The gauge works but seems to be way off with respect to how it meauses what is in the tank. Is that typical and/or is it something that is worth a trip to the dealer?

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

That seems to be out of spec.
I would take it to a dealer and have it looked at.
The workshop manual should state what the limits are on parts (wear limits on belts or gears etc, and acceptable limits for gauge readings)
If the part in question (in this case, the fuel sender unit) is outside of specifications, then it should be replaced.
If you are auto savvy enough, get to the gas tank, and make sure the plug for the fuel gauge is on snug, and that the connector pins are clean. Otherwise just take it to a mechanic/dealer and let them troubleshoot it for you.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i combined a boatload of similar threads on this issue

kelleyb
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

When gas tank is "full" (gas pump shuts it self off) and i turn car back on, gas gauge reads one bar below full. any ideas? its an 09 rogue

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kelleyb wrote:When gas tank is "full" (gas pump shuts it self off) and i turn car back on, gas gauge reads one bar below full. any ideas? its an 09 rogue
welcome to the boards. :welcome:

please use the search function and the 1st thread marked CHATROOMS & POPULAR TOPICS (tires, mpg, brakes, etc) to search for your answer before making a new thread. 75% of all questions have been asked already.

to answer your question: its a common problem. you can read more here: CHATROOM: Fuel / Gas Gauge Issues

Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I have had my fuel sending unit replaced on my 09 Rogue twice now by the dealer and the gauge is still showing way more then I have in the tank. Not sure if its worth them ripping the tank out again or not.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

kelleyb wrote:When gas tank is "full" (gas pump shuts it self off) and i turn car back on, gas gauge reads one bar below full. any ideas? its an 09 rogue

Live with it. I did.

The infamous missing orange bar.

No biggie. Not worth the trouble of dealer taking your Rogue apart and making something get worse. No guarantee it will solve problem along with them scuffing up the inside not that I worry about scratches anymore. :cool:

di_gent
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

i am not sure if i should post this here but i have searched on the forum and this seems to be the most relevant topic. for the past few weeks my 08 Rogue SL FWD (just over 165,000 km) has been having some issues with the fuel level. when i start the car it reads that the tank is empty and the warning light comes on. the first time this happen i panicked because i never let my tank go empty and every time i fill up i reset the trip so i know how much fuel i actually have. when this happened I turned off the car and went out to see if there were any leaks, i could not see anything. i got back in the car and started it up again to my surprise the gauge went back to 1/4 where it was suppose to be. this has started to happen more frequently. now i have noticed that when i start the car and it reads empty, when in reality i have over 1/4 tank of gas, as i continue to drive the bars magically seem to appear and after a little while it goes up to the actual level. this does not only happen when i have 1/4 tank of gas it has happen when i had over 3/4 tank of gas as well. has anyone else experienced similar issues? what should i do? all your suggestions/comments are much appreciated :) .

di_gent

okay so i got the service engine soon light on. i hooked it up to an OBD2 and it gave me the code P0463. after doing a quick search online i got this explanation "Fuel level gauge may fluctuate abnormally or read empty or full". so this explains the problem i've been having. i know there is a service bulletin for this NTB08037-SB 08 Rogue. does this mean the dealer will repair it for free?

di_gent

no one has any suggestions for this??? the service engine soon light is annoying me :mad: :mad:

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

di_gent wrote:okay so i got the service engine soon light on. i hooked it up to an OBD2 and it gave me the code P0463. after doing a quick search online i got this explanation "Fuel level gauge may fluctuate abnormally or read empty or full". so this explains the problem i've been having. i know there is a service bulletin for this NTB08037-SB 08 Rogue. does this mean the dealer will repair it for free?
The dealer will not fix it for free even if there is a TSB. A TSB means Nissan knows about the issue and gave the mechanics a "how to" fix document. It is not wide spread enough (in their eyes) to issue a recall.

You don't have to take your car to a dealer to get this fixed. A mechanic can easily fix this.

Return to “Rogue Forum”