DIY: Rear Differential Fluid Change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Scooter71 wrote:That's so messed up I know I attached a picture to the last post....damn!
2011 Honda CBR600RR
you got yourself an awesome bike man. the CBR's short wheel base, makes from great cornering! i used to own a 2006 Honda CBR600 F4i.

here's my toy: 2007 GSXR600 (track only)

and of course the Ms. has to get one too lol (2006 yamaha R6)

Scooter71
Car: 09 Rogue SL AWD Fully Loaded

^^^ damn brother that must be awesome riding together. I love the streets, I wouldn't mind riding track, but I would miss the action on the streets, to much to see, and smell (seasonal changes, cut grass, bbq...etc). We are always doing meet and greets and riding up north (NY), last time out we met witht the gixer forum jersey riders at the base of Bear Mtn. I'll keep you posted if you guys are interested.
And she does handle like a dream, corners like it's on rails. I love pretty much everything about my bike. Love the R6 also, would have been my second choice no doubt.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Scooter71 wrote:^^^ damn brother that must be awesome riding together. I love the streets, I wouldn't mind riding track, but I would miss the action on the streets, to much to see, and smell (seasonal changes, cut grass, bbq...etc). We are always doing meet and greets and riding up north (NY), last time out we met witht the gixer forum jersey riders at the base of Bear Mtn. I'll keep you posted if you guys are interested.
And she does handle like a dream, corners like it's on rails. I love pretty much everything about my bike. Love the R6 also, would have been my second choice no doubt.
she doesnt do street anymore either. i PROMISE you that it only takes 1 day at the track, before you begin to hate the streets. unrestricted speeds... yes that means full throttle 150mph+ speeds. no animals, potholes, cops, cars, trucks, etc. its stress free fun.
everyone at the track knows the deal, and always tell people- once you try the track, you never go back. i know who you met from the gixxer forums- i ride track with them. Jerry(blue/white 2011 gixxer 600, Vitaly 2006 red/blk gixxer750(in the video below), etc)

i did a self-recorded video on my bike from a practice session. YES- my bike says "Hi MOM". lol - i swap the sticker for a diff family member every track day lol
roads where cold & wet from earlier rains, so we took it a little slow in the first session.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMhwm2AE7N8[/youtube]

Scooter71

ImStricken wrote:
Scooter71 wrote:^^^ damn brother that must be awesome riding together. I love the streets, I wouldn't mind riding track, but I would miss the action on the streets, to much to see, and smell (seasonal changes, cut grass, bbq...etc). We are always doing meet and greets and riding up north (NY), last time out we met witht the gixer forum jersey riders at the base of Bear Mtn. I'll keep you posted if you guys are interested.
she doesnt do street anymore either. i PROMISE you that it only takes 1 day at the track, before you begin to hate the streets. unrestricted speeds... yes that means full throttle 150mph+ speeds. no animals, potholes, cops, cars, trucks, etc. its stress free fun.
everyone at the track knows the deal, and always tell people- once you try the track, you never go back. i know who you met from the gixxer forums- i ride track with them. Jerry(blue/white 2011 gixxer 600, Vitaly 2006 red/blk gixxer750(in the video below), etc)

i did a self-recorded video on my bike from a practice session. YES- my bike says "Hi MOM". lol - i swap the sticker for a diff family member every track day lol
roads where cold & wet from earlier rains, so we took it a little slow in the first session.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I hear ya about the track, lots of guys say that on the forums, and on the street. That once you go track your never go back to the streets, it just seems so expensive to ride the track..Equipment, gear, track fee, suits, maintaince..etc. Plus I like riding when I can and feel like riding. The track limits you sort a to that day and time. I been riding since late 80's and always loved the freedom of get up and go. Rideing for you, for fun for the love. Yes it sounds a little girly, but you know when that thrill hits thats all you can think about. :BnB:
That day we all meet up there, was nutso. We left Yonkers with 18 and meet like 10 more and the 10 that was already up there. I honestly don't remeber all their names and bikes. It was bananas....and bananas are good!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:offtopic:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote::offtopic:
jealous :cry: oldie who cant ride LOL/jk

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:
Rogue One wrote::offtopic:
jealous :cry: oldie who cant ride LOL/jk
:ohsnap

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

:naughty: Back to the topic :naughty:
Done both the transfer case and differential, the differential is relatively easy cause of the easy access
The fluid doesn't look that bad either.
The from transfer case is a pain to remove the fill hole. :bang :bang But when it get lose, its easy :D
But fluid on the from is amost BLACK :picard: I guess I should have done this early (currently 56k on it)

Scooter71

I finally got around to doing this, so me being me had to do them both at the same time. Yes sir you got it, just had to do front and rear, not that it was difficult just used a jack in the rear to level off the Rogue. My only concern is I hope I didn't let to much fill in the rear and drip out leaving not enough for the front fill. Never the less, she's done and running smooth. Thanks again for posting the how to, was a huuuuuuuuge help. I'll stop by auto parts store tomorrow and pick up another quart put a little more in the front until it leeks out. Should be right as rain.
Sorry no pics, I was also doing the oil change was moving back and forth. I know I got issues but that's how I roll,

Colorado_Al
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Thanks for the great DIY on the rear dif! Super easy! Which is great since the front transfer case was such a pain.
I used Valvoline full synthetic 75W-90. Only $1 more than the partial synthetic. The rear fluid looked clear and just starting to brown and was not too stinky.
Thanks again!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

[quote="Colorado_Al"]Thanks for the great DIY on the rear dif! Super easy! Which is great since the front transfer case was such a pain.
I used Valvoline full synthetic 75W-90. Only $1 more than the partial synthetic. The rear fluid looked clear and just starting to brown and was not too stinky.
Thanks again![/qoute]
good work man! i just did ms.imstricken's diff this weekend:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp0txPukjmY[/youtube]

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

literally, just finished 20mins ago; did my rogues rear diff & front transaxle fluid again. simple, smelly, but worth it. once again its smooth as butter. (this is the 2nd service, now at 75k)

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Just did my transfer case and diff this weekend. The oil came out black and nasty. Don't know if that Valvoline syn blend is any good after these results.
Put in 100% synthetic this time and I think I will be changing these gear oils sooner than every 30K. Seems like all the stop and go city driving really takes a toll on this oil. Might change it every 20k now.
It's amazing how you can really tell the difference driving after servicing this oil.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

darylzero wrote: Seems like all the stop and go city driving really takes a toll on this oil. Might change it every 20k now.
dont forget that every time you stop, and accelerate to 9pm, its in awd mode. so yes, stop and go keeps the awd system engaged more often than just driving at 55mph on solid road.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

5.56 wrote:
darylzero wrote: Seems like all the stop and go city driving really takes a toll on this oil. Might change it every 20k now.
dont forget that every time you stop, and accelerate to 9pm, its in awd mode. so yes, stop and go keeps the awd system engaged more often than just driving at 55mph on solid road.
Exactly! That's why I'm thinking every 20k now. I went with Amsoil severe gear 75w-90 we'll see how that turns out.

Also, it's not just at 9pm, it's all the time :rotfl Obviously you meant 6 mph.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ahhahahha yes, i meant 6mph.

i love amsoil. i was sponsored by them. got free oil & supplies. my bike loved their stuff. in fact most racers used only amsoil. some of the name-brand-whorez used only used motul, but otherwise everyone else used amsoil only. i guess the name "motul" made them feel uppity and European lol

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

This is for the awd, right? It's located towards the rear? Not the same thing as the transfer case? For the newest generation, or 2015 rogue, is the viscocity the same? For the awd maintenance, do you change both the transfer case fluid and rear differential fluid at 30k, or just one, and it's not a simple drain and fill procedue, you need a fluid transfer pump, correct? Thanks. What about just using a siphon or regular tube?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

engineer20 wrote:This is for the awd, right? It's located towards the rear? Not the same thing as the transfer case? For the newest generation, or 2015 rogue, is the viscocity the same? For the awd maintenance, do you change both the transfer case fluid and rear differential fluid at 30k, or just one, and it's not a simple drain and fill procedue, you need a fluid transfer pump, correct? Thanks. What about just using a siphon or regular tube?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp0txPukjmY[/youtube]

engineer20

For the differential/transfer case, or the awd fluid, it's 80w90, apparenlty, right, or was it 75 90? Anyways, which one of these is better, will a quart or gallon transfer pump work? What about a multipurpose transfer pump? What about this gear oil/differential pump they sell at harbor freight, or is it the same thing? Thanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use- ... 66418.html

vs

http://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-a ... 61746.html

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool- ... B00329VL3G or http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W1139.oap http://www.ebay.com/bhp/quart-pump also available readily at walmart/meijer in Pennzoil brand

engineer20

quart and gallon transfer pump (has a silver metal thing at the top) or the "gear oil" thing from harbor freight, which they also sell at advance auto as well as oreilly? or just get the quart and gallon? that harbor freight one also says it works for quart and gallon containers.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

as i stated in the original post, i like the simple qt pump from advanced auto. its small, and works just fine. it looks like this:

psyman42
Car: 2001 Honda Accord EX (Totaled)
2007 Honda CRV EX (Traded In)
2014 Nissan Rogue SV Premium Package (Sold)
2017 Nissan Rogue SL Platinum Reserve Premium Package

I have a 2014 Rogue, Do I follow the same steps in this DYI to change my Diff Fluid? Really surprised there hasn't been a separate write up for the Second Gen Rogues in regards to this topic. I'm currently approaching 25K Miles.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

The 2nd gen Rogue got a face lift. The guts are the same. So yes, follow the same steps.

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Does it make sense to do this for the FWD model?

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

ImStricken06 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:42 am
The 2nd gen Rogue got a face lift. The guts are the same. So yes, follow the same steps.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

nabril wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:19 am
Technically, it wouldn't have either transfer case or rear diff, so there's nothing to do :bigthumb:

EDIT: @mods Realized this is a fairly old thread, sorry if I had necro'd it

lk777
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

What I do not see in these posts is a warning about how easily those allen key head plugs (fill and drain) can be rounded out if the all rust and backed dirt not removed from the hex holes. It is not a piece of cake, btw.
And regarding differential (gear) oil change I have found this Amsoil article https://www.amsoil.com/p/severe-gear-75w-90-svg/. Normal service: Drain at 100,000 miles of service or according to the owner's manual, whichever is longer. Severe Service: Drain at 50,000 miles of service or according to the owner's manual, whichever is longer.

lk777
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

This is my small contribution (from my experience) into this already comprehensive write-up.

I have not lifted a car onto jack stands, so it was quite challenging to loose the differential fill and drain bolts.

My steps:
10mm Allen key (Husky) - shortened an Allen key short arm to the size of 1-1/4". Used an angle grinder with a metal cut-off disc. This Husky Allen key is a high quality tool.
Used a small 2-ton trolley floor jack under the car with the modified Allen key as a breaker bar to brake loose of very tight fill and drain bolts.
It worked like a charm.
Aluminum differentials (and other aluminum parts) do not like impact wrenches.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I just did my 2018 yesterday, rear diff and transfer case with 40k on the clock. The rear was horrible looking. Lots of sludge on the magnet and well spent. Surprisingly the transfer fluid wasn’t bad at all. I got a gallon of carquest gl5 80-90 for $10 so I changed the fluid, which took around 1 3/4 qts for both. Drove it 20 miles and did it again. The first time was much harder than the second due to the tightness of the plugs and having to figure out how to go about the transfer plugs, where their isn’t much wiggle room. I swear they put them on with an air impact. The spec I found showed 26 ft lbs, which comparing to an oil drain plug is 16, so good and tight is what I went with. I only have a 1/2” torque wrench and only had a 3/8 10mm bit. All in all a messy job when your using ramps and a Jack stands, but not a job I’d pay a few hundred dollars for which is what I’m sure the dealer would want. In the end I noticed absolutely no difference in the drive of the car but it makes me feel better.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Also please use a good quality 10mm when tackling this. I grabbed a kobalt out of the box and it almost rounded off the drain bolt on the transfer. I quickly went back to my tools and found an SK and the difference was night and day. If you don’t have a quality tool then I second the notion of doing a wrap of electrical tape.

Return to “Rogue Forum”