CVT Auxiliary Cooler - Where did it come from?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

The CVT Auxiliary Cooler.

Is it ever installed in new vehicles before delivery? Maybe as part of a tow package?

Or is it only ever an after the fact installation?

And . . . is this done for something like a Nissan Versa, Sentra or Rogue Sport?

I've been reading up on the CVT Auxiliary Cooler. Saw it mentioned in a service bulletin. And I saw 2 threads here talking about installing it yourself.

cvt-auxiliary-cooler-install-t598905.ht ... t%20cooler

cooling-issue-after-auxiliary-cvt-coole ... 92948.html

So I opened up the hood of my 2011 Nissan Rogue to see if I had one. If not, I was thinking of getting one installed. But . . . my 2011 Nissan Rogue already has one.

We got the 2011 Nissan Rogue used in 2018. It was a fleet car at my wife's work. It was not really leased or rented out. It just floated around different staff members.

So . . . I don't really know the history of the vehicle.

And I am confused as to how it got the CVT Auxiliary Cooler.

Take care! :)
TheRogue.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

You missed at least one...
2011 nissan rogue awd transmission cooler

AFAIK, it's was standard on the SV/SL models with premium package. Nissan did not offer a "Tow Package" on the 1st gens.

I haven't really researched which other vehicles the added the aux cooler to, but I can't see them adding it to Vesra. Ditto for the Sentra. As for the Rogue Sport, most likely they followed the same pattern as the Rogue.

TheRogue

@Rogue One

I actually saw that thread. But I found it hard to follow. And it didn't ask the same question I wanted to know the answer to. :)

I like that it might be standard. (So not put in after the fact because it needed it.)

It definitely saves me from putting one in.

I tried to research it myself. I tried finding a VIN decoder that would generate a Window Sticker or Build Sheet to see if it was mentioned there, but I couldn't find one that was detailed enough to mention a transmission cooler. And I even went back and looked through the 2011 Nissan Rogue brochure to see if it mentioned an extra transmission cooler or a tow package.

Nothing anywhere. LOL.

So it kinda answers my question.

But also, this Rogue is our 2nd car, but also the smaller vehicle our older daughter learned to drive on. I am figuring that when she graduates she'll probably take over the Rogue. (Which is partly why I am trying to keep it well maintained.) But when that happens, we will then need to find another small vehicle for our youngest to learn to drive on. So . . . if SL models potentially have the CVT Auxiliary Cooler, I'll focus in on those models. Or . . . I have been reading that it might be possible to add this to a Versa or Sentra. So, another couple of potential vehicles to consider there. :)

Thanks for your help! :)

Take care. :)
TheRogue.

xnisstech
Car: 1987 Nissan D21
2011 Infiniti G25
2014 Nissan Rogue Select

The transmissions all have a coolant to fluid cooler on the front of the case, but the air to fluid coolers were added as part of a service campaign to address high CVT temperatures and the resulting limited power mode that came with it. If the CVT temp counts were high enough the kit was installed under warranty. I dont recall any vehicles having them as originally built.
I was going to add one to my 2014 but the kit was like $1000 or something.

PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

xnisstech wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm
I added one to my 2014, it was a pretty easy DIY. I think was around $200 including a case of AMSOIL cvt fluid and doing a change

TheRogue

Thanks for the feedback! :)

@xnisstech. I was thinking that was the case. I actually dropped by our local Nissan dealer here in town to look at the various new and used Rogues they had on the lot. None of them had the CVT Auxiliary Cooler. But they didn't seem to have an SL on the lot. I'll probably drop by from time to time to see if I can look underneath whatever SL they have on the lot. LOL.

@PeterH_605. +1. I am not too handy myself, but I looked at the thread for the install and I think I might be up for that. I don't need it for this 2011 Nissan Rogue because it already has it. But . . . a few years out, my older daughter might take over this Rogue and my wife and I would be in the market for a replacement 2nd vehicle, which would also double as the vehicle our younger daughter could learn on. I'm thinking either a Versa (Note), Qashqai (aka Rogue Sport) or a Rogue. If I go that route, I'd be looking at installing the CVT Auxiliary Cooler. And probably do it myself with some help. :)

TheRogue.

xnisstech
Car: 1987 Nissan D21
2011 Infiniti G25
2014 Nissan Rogue Select

PeterH_605 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:06 pm
xnisstech wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm
I added one to my 2014, it was a pretty easy DIY. I think was around $200 including a case of AMSOIL cvt fluid and doing a change
Im talking about the factory kit. Its more that just a cooler.
I would never put anything other than real Nissan NS-2 in a CVT.

worldbikr
Car: na

Rogue mileage king here 312k miles. I've used Wal-Mart cvt fluid and amsoil and castrol.

TheRogue

@worldbikr,

312K miles! Wow! Over 500,000 KM's! My 2011 only has 150,000 KM's!

What did you do to keep it running so long?

I am already trying to map out all the maintenance I want to consider on our 2011 Rogue to try to make it last a long time. I've mapped it out here . . .

maintenance-sched-checklist-for-non-techie-t627343.html

But is there anything that you think is above / beyond or outside of regular maintenance or regular things to consider that has made your Rogue make it to 312K miles?

My goal is to see how long I can get this Rogue to last.

I've owned a bunch of vehicles, but really did not take (or know how to take) care of them for the most part.

It really wasn't until we bought a used 2000 Nissan Altima in 2015 that I decided to really try to learn this. (Yes. We bought a 15 year old car.)

I figured . . . even if I make a huge mistake with the Altima, it's already a 15-year-old vehicle! LOL.

It was still working in 2018, but when it needed new brakes we decided not to keep the vehicle on the road, because the amount of rust underneath. But the engine and transmission were still going strong. It had 157K miles (250K KM's). That was a great car.

I had created a spreadsheet to try to keep track of what I needed to do, and if I did them.

So when we got the Rogue, I tossed everything into high gear to see if I could get this thing to last 20 years! LOL. 'hence all the questions I've been asking here.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

TheRogue.

Return to “Rogue Forum”