96 Q45 speedometer&odometer not working but drives normal

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
yohai
Car: 96 Infiniti Q45

Hello,

The speedometer on my 96 Q45 is staying at 0 when driving, and the odometer is not updating - staying at the same number. But the vehicle is driving normally - shifts normal.

I've searched online and it seems the vehicle speed sensor should be fine, otherwise I cannot drive normally. And I've took out the instrument cluster, got the speedometer/odometer piece out, which looks new - nothing suspicious.

While doing so, I do found the rats have got inside the AT part and left macadamia nut shells inside... One of the cables leading to the smoke lighter got bitten - but not other cables...yet.

I'm now following EL-81, finished the first 2 steps without issue. But having trouble with the 3rd step - cannot find the vehicle speed sensor, and cannot find any information online. According to EL-375, it's supposed to be in the "Passenger Compartment" (on rear extension) - but the plot didn't shown where exactly the location is, unlike the other parts.

Anyone to shed some lights?

Thanks!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO! The vehicle speed sensor appears to be bolted on to the transmission. Check out EC-211 for more information. Have you tried pulling codes with an OBDII scan tool? 1996 was the first year of OBDII, so I don't know how well that will work, but it's worth a shot. Also check out EL-80.

Here are some other threads with useful information. From reading these threads, if your power steering isn't dropping out, I think a bad speedometer in the cluster is most likely, but I would still go through the troubleshooting steps to be sure.

q45-speedometer-intermittent-diagnosis- ... 50463.html

speed-sensor-on-q45-or-speedo-cluster-c ... 73619.html

vehicle-speed-sensor-removal-t601563.html

tachometer-creep-on-96-q45-t543842.html

yohai

Thank you very much for the response!

I've checked the threads you mentioned, also by transmission I hope you mean the handle part between the driver and passenger seat? I did check that and there is no cable running with only two wires and a black housing.

EL-384 actually mentioned the harness for the vehicle speed sensor(M211) goes to the engine compartment, but I didn't find a connector for that either - just to make sure, it is this thing(https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... 416440_0_0) that I'm looking for? I did find a black connector that look like this behind the airbag sensor unit, but with 4 pins instead of two.

If it's the harness that's connecting the vss and the speedometer, will the OBD be able to tell? It's my first time to really work on a car, so haven't got an OBD yet.

EL-80 talks about fuel gauge and water temp gauge, not sure what it has to do here?

For EL-211 , I need to first put all the parts back before I could try it and I do hope to get it fixed before that... Lots of labor involved already..

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

The speed sensor is under the car bolted to the transmission, not near the shifter inside of the car. I agree that the diagram is confusing if not downright wrong.

I meant EL-81, not 80 for testing the sensor.

In terms of what the OBDII will be able to tell, I'm not sure. I would say that if you can read speed data on the OBDII scanner, but your speedometer is sitting at zero, you could rule out the sensor. My educated guess is that it's your actual speedometer, but I wouldn't bet my own money on it without testing more.

Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

You can pull codes without having an OBD2 code reader - there are instruction in the factory service manual.

yohai

Thank you! I did jack up the vehicle a bit using M12bolt H as shown in BT-39, and it looks bad down there. So I'm thinking it might have to do with the cable. But I didn't find another good point to jack at the front, maybe any point on the square tube where the page has thick black arrows would be fine? It's hollow though, not sure how strong they are - seemingly no better options.

Thanks Ryan for mentioning the code, I haven't found how to get it yet.

Q451990

Use the lift points on GI-39. Never get under the car when it's raised with just a jack. Especially the jack that comes with the car! It's designed to lift one wheel off of the ground to change a tire in an emergency, and I've found them to be relatively unstable and weak. To do this kind of safely, you need a floor jack and jack stands. I'm increasingly nervous doing work this way, using extra stands and ramps when possible when I'm under a car.

yohai

Thank you so much Sir! Somehow I missed GI part.

I have a hydraulic jack and a jack stand(The one that comes with the car has long gone anyway~), and was using the hydraulic to lift it up so I could get a better look from the side. Will jack it up properly later when I have time.

Again, thanks a lot for your kind help!

yohai

Well, looks like I've got something seriously wrong - I've removed 3 screws from a part having the label Nissan 86400171 - that looks like a vehicle speed sensor as I've posted earlier in the thread - but apparently it's not, as amber oil comes out instantly upon the removal of the 3 screws. I'm now guessing this is the engine oil? I didn't let it drain completely.

Any further instructions on where exactly the VSS is? Feeling a bit frustrated now... Not planning to give up yet :rotfl

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

Have you got an obdii reader yet? If you're working on a computer controlled car you need an OBDII reader. What do you plan to solve by unbolting the speed sensor and looking at it?
My first step in diagnosing this would to communicate with the Engine control module to see if it is receiving a signal from the speed sensor. It the signal was missing, it would likely set a DTC(diagnostic trouble code).
You said you found rodent damage behind the dash? I would look very closely around that area. Look for any damaged wiring between the VSS and speedometer in the dash.
Have you gotten the factory service manual that is hosted here?
Last edited by fontana dan on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yohai

Yes, I have the manual. Looks like I cannot avoid to get an OBDII reader now, thanks for the advice!

fontana dan

This is the most basic scanner I use for scanning codes and reading simple data such as a speed sensor.
https://www.autel.com/mk1/3247.jhtml

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's someplace on the rear transmission extension. From the harness layout on EL-384 I'd say it's on the lefthand side, but the artwork is pretty crappy (connector M211). Same for the "Units Location" on EL-375, that makes it look righthand. Either way, it looks to be at the very a$$ end of the tranny. Should be 2 pins with Yellow and Yellow/Blue wires.
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 6%2Fel.pdf

yohai

Just got a FOXWELL one before seeing your post, I think they're similar. Thanks Dan!

yohai

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:04 pm
It's someplace on the rear transmission extension. From the harness layout on EL-384 I'd say it's on the lefthand side, but the artwork is pretty crappy (connector M211). Same for the "Units Location" on EL-375, that makes it look righthand. Either way, it looks to be at the very a$$ end of the tranny. Should be 2 pins with Yellow and Yellow/Blue wires.
Yes, I read about EL-384 and EL-375, but still cannot figure out where it is.
I'm not sure what "tranny" means exactly, its at the bottom of the vehicle, right? And the VSS is near the middle line? I couldn't find any 2-pin connectors there.

fontana dan

tranny-transmission
This is what it looks like from the side. You will see the flat aluminum oil pan on the bottom, way under the front doors of the car,
The extension is the thin rearward part of the case which holds the output shaft.

yohai

Thanks Dan for your photo, I think I've finally located the VSS!

Upon removing it, amber oil is starting to come out again - is this normal? I guess there is no option not to drain that? For now I've put it back before more comes out - Is that engine oil that comes out from the other part that I removed yesterday? - In which case I guess what I need to do later is to refill the engineer oil.

Q451990

Compare the color of the oil that comes out with what's on your transmission dipstick (near the firewall). It's possible that the normally red transmission fluid is depleted enough that it looks amber. If you're pulling the correct part, it will definitely be transmission fluid oozing out, not motor oil.

yohai

I later figured out it must be the transmission fluid, as it comes from the end of the tranny - planning to top up this and the engine oil.

Before this, I'm now looking at how to get to the ECM as the OBDII reader told me:
1) Open or short in the ECM harness
2) Faulty ECM
According to the current investigation, I think it's most likely the first one. From EL-375, ECM is possibly behind the glove box. But I couldn't find the part in MA as how to remove it. Any tips?

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

yohai wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:56 pm
I later figured out it must be the transmission fluid, as it comes from the end of the tranny - planning to top up this and the engine oil.

Before this, I'm now looking at how to get to the ECM as the OBDII reader told me:
1) Open or short in the ECM harness
2) Faulty ECM
According to the current investigation, I think it's most likely the first one. From EL-375, ECM is possibly behind the glove box. But I couldn't find the part in MA as how to remove it. Any tips?
I would suggest first looking at harness side signals AT the sensor interface. If you have the correct voltage and ground there, then you can pretty much eliminate the harness. If those tests are inconclusive, Then (as a next check) I would look at the ECM interface.
There were only about 4000 model year 96 produced, and I honestly haven't gone digging for the ECM on a 96. BUT, for 90-95, and again in 97, the ECM is found at the bottom of the A-pillar on the passenger side. there is a carpeted trim piece (kick plate) that you remove, and the ECM should be right there.

yohai

3Q Jay wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:15 pm
I would suggest first looking at harness side signals AT the sensor interface. If you have the correct voltage and ground there, then you can pretty much eliminate the harness. If those tests are inconclusive, Then (as a next check) I would look at the ECM interface.
I was actually checking the connection before looking at the ECM, as I got the fluid out. Also, other than the bottom, I couldn't figure out where the VSS interface is - if you could point out where the interface is inside the compartment, that would be greatly helpful!

I didn't know that there were only 4000 produced - guess that's why I couldn't find much information online.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”