2023 Versa S keyless entry

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
finikk
Car: 2023 Nissan Versa S CVT

Thanks for the very helpful thread!

If I get the 28268-5EA1A part, how much should it cost to program it into a BCM?
The dealer quoted me $220 for the labor.
All the yelp reach-outs (Bay Area, CA) are saying they cant' program 2023.

Also, somewhat related. Is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C34QFOK an option to solve the keyless entry issue and get alarm in the process as well? Basically bypassing the internal RF and connecting this to the doors instead. The system itself is dirt cheap, but how difficult/expensive such an install might be?

vic831
Car: 2023 Nissan Versa S

The 28268-5ea1a part is fob only, no flip out key blank. Use these with your 2 factory keys. Should be less than $100 for locksmith to program, tell them it’s just like a 2022, I’ve done it to 2 different 2023 cars.
The after market kits can certainly be used, good luck wiring it in. I did it for the drivers door only on an 08 Honda fit, had to pull door panels off trace wires etc,

The purpose of this thread was to get a programmable fob that could be used thru the factory BCM. The electronics in these fobs are constantly updated, the above fob works for the 2023 Versa S.

I was quoted $1000 for an aftermarket alarm from a local shop.

Anyone reading this thread, PLEASE read the entire thread. We were probably the first to try this fix. LOTS of trial and investigation.
Incredible insight from a Nissan master tech.

Nissan has a sale right now 15% off the $142
List price and some dealers offer the fob for $102 BEFORE the 15% discount. And these Nissanusa.com sales have free shipping!!
You can shop around by changing the zip code under the dealership choice area.

vic831

Ok had second 2023 Versa S Manual key fobs programmed today. Very nice locksmith told me his software programming was a 1 step process for the key/immobilized and the RKE fob remote unlike in past years was a 2 step process.

Locksmith suggested he could add the key blank $60 and dowel pin to the 28260-
Fob instead of me getting the eBay fobs and switching out the electronic board but the eBay fobs/key blanks are $20 for two vs $60x2=$120 plus extra labor for adding the blanks to the 28260- Nissan fobs

As for the trunk popper he suggested that maybe the wire/plug for a power actuator may be present. The car is 2,600 miles away from me but the owner there is going to pull the trunk lock cover panel loose and search for the unused wire, fingers crossed if it’s there I’ll order an $80 power actuator for him to exchange. Stay tuned.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's entirely possible the wiring is there in the trunk, if so it will be taped back in the vicinity of the latch assembly. You'll also need to check if the wiring is there in the Main Harness to connect it to the BCM. If they're both present then you're in business.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - If they aren't there, I have a crap ton of connectors at the shop that I can freely raid pins from. Adding new pins is easy-peasy compared to un-pinning, so I'm sure I can help out anybody who wants to try it.

vic831

Removed 5 clips to access the trunk actuator. There is white plug with 2 wires pink and black plugged into the back of the actuator into a black socket with 2 electrodes inside. We removed the 2 10mm bolts securing the actuator and looked everywhere on it for the part # 84630-
but it was not there just X23B16.
There is 12 volt power to these wires with trunk lid up, keys and lites off. We don’t think is for a trunk lite. Difficult for the person to hold everything and test but no change in voltage with pushing the fob trunk popper. The actuator looks non electrical. The wires are plugged into it(holding receptacle ?)
The power actuator 84640-3RA0A is only $71 on sale nissanusa online, I added it to an order just to see if this is plug and play.

VStar650 does it make sense that the wiring could be 2 wires, 1 pink and 1 black ? It’s literally parked/plugged into the back of the actuator, and we don’t think the actuator has a switch or motor and is purely mechanical.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No. I only have Identifix right now and not ASIST, but according to the WD the connector should have three wires if it's wired for a trunk release. Pink for the trunk ajar switch, Red for the actuator, and a Black shared ground. If it only has Pink and Black then the actuator wiring is absent. Is it a 3-pin connector missing one position, or just 2-pin?

vic831

It’s a 3 pin connector, dag that’s too bad. I should of asked you before I ordered, Im cancelling the actuator. The person with the car will not bother to run the wire for the actuator from the BCM. It’s not a priority the trunk popper. But that explains why the pink wire is hot, for the trunk ajar warning, I should have known better. Thank you very much VStar!!!!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. If anybody does want to route the wires, like I said, I can help out with connector pins to use for pigtailing. Just post pics of the connector and I'll find the right ones.

vic831

3 pin connector with pink and black wires
and black socket on outside of actuator with pins for the trunk ajar switch inside actuator
Apparently missing red trunk popper 3rd wire from the BCM under dashboard. Needs to be run from BCM to trunk and actuator changed to have trunk popper feature from the factory key fob previously discussed.
Attachments
32C12E84-D247-4337-96DA-4BB7CDB63803.jpeg
F7C1D04B-2C46-4E7B-B2BB-BF7E053E3B1E.jpeg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, hmmmm, that's actually a real oddball. However, it looks like it might be a new version of the old TK connectors with a different style of polarizer. If so, I'll have zillions of pins. I can look that up in ASIST on Tuesday.

vic831

Update on locksmith programming Mine used an Advance Diagnostics programmer.
They said it is a one step process and a key blank has to be in the ignition and it turned on.
This presents a problem if you want to use the 28260- as a fob only without the flip out key blank. The fob is $142. The key blank is $60 and needs to be attached with a dowel pin which my locksmith can do, so $202 for parts. The pre assembled fob and flip out key is $330 !!!!!
I used a similar case 2005 Altima key off eBay pictured in earlier post just yo get the flip out key blank, cost $19/2 = $9.50 and had key cut and programmed by inserting it and turning 2 of these plus the original keys that have no fob but do have a chip in the black plastic top part.

If you just want to use the 28260- fob without a flip out key blank in unison with your factory key you may need to try this:

Have the locksmith cut a plain NO chip key,
Use this key to turn on the ignition while holding the 28260- fob very close to the ignition during programming, the locksmith said that he didn’t push ANY buttons on the fob while programming. You could use this plain key to program 2 28260- fobs then reprogram your 2 factory keys, then use one factory key and one 28260- fob in combo.
The locksmith did not actually do this for us but he thinks it will work.

The total number of key chips that can programmed is 4 (four)

That 28260- fob is the least expensive fob that I know that can definitely be programmed to the 2023 Versa S/base USA model BCM It is currently on sale for $120 Nissanusa.com and possibly cheaper when combined with some dealers presale reduced price.

Good luck everyone !!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, sadly, that trunk connector is a brand new series and Nissan doesn't offer a shell or repair pins for it. The only thing you can do is raid the JY for a connector and unpin it to get the extra pin for your existing connector.

I think I know why the frills are disappearing from the model in general, it's there in the sales figures. In the peak year of sales in 2015, Nissan sold 144K Versas in the US and 64K in Mexico. In 2022 they sold 13K in the US and 48K in Mexico. The model has lost popularity here to the point that they're evidently aiming it toward a downscale market.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I take that back about the connector, I must have mis-keyed something in the connector lookup. There are service kits available with just pigtail wires (24008-9DL4E) and the whole connector (24008-9DE0E). NissanPartsDeal sells the 9DL4E kit for $3.74 and the 9DE0E kit for $29.67 (a lot extra for a piece of plastic, but you should just need the wire kit).

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The wire kit for the connector at the BCM should be 24008-9DJ3C, that's $3.71 from NPD. With those pins, all you'd need to do is pin the connectors and route the one wire from the BCM to the trunk. That should be pretty easy on a Versa, the sill panels and the back seat both just pry loose. You could optionally install a momentary SPDT switch in the dash with the NC pole connected to the BCM, the NO connected to 12V power, and COM connected to the trunk. That would give you electric release from inside the car as well as with the fob.

vic831

VStar you don’t need the electric switch inside the car as all the car trims have a lever/cable pull on the floor left of the drivers seat that accomplishes the same function.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't know if the electric assembly will have an arm for the cable, if it doesn't then you'll need a switch.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

[quote=VStar650CL post_id=6848076 time=1686063309 user_id=299034

I think I know why the frills are disappearing from the model in general, it's there in the sales figures. In the peak year of sales in 2015, Nissan sold 144K Versas in the US and 64K in Mexico. In 2022 they sold 13K in the US and 48K in Mexico. The model has lost popularity here to the point that they're evidently aiming it toward a downscale market.
[/quote] I think there are 2 things at work that explain the lower Versa sales. The chip shortage is 1 factor because Nissan generates higher company profits with its more expensive models so those models are being given higher priority for getting the needed computer chips. The chip shortage is now beginning to ease so I hope finding a Versa on a dealer lot will become easier. I've tried a couple of different dealers whose website inventory showed they had them in stock only to find out when I went to see them, they weren't in stock. I had 1 dealer tell me that when they do get a Versa in stock, they have 100 customers who want it because of the great fuel economy. I also think that economics are also at work. The target markets for the Versa are Gen Z and millennials, both of whom are up to their eyeballs in student loan debt and high rents so their money is tight. I think the recent Versa price increases which are now about $5,000 compared to what I paid for my 2019 Versa are too much for the target markets. I think this is what's behind the de-contenting of the Versa in order to not continuing to raise the price.
Having said this, Versa sales for the first quarter of 2023 are up 67% according to the U.S. Nissan media website at https://usa.nissannews.com. Let's hope that Versa sales continue to improve. Nissan is currently the only auto manufacturer who hasn't abandoned budget buyers so let's hope that Nissan continues to remember budget buyers by continuing to build the Versa for the U.S. market.

vic831

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 pm
I don't know if the electric assembly will have an arm for the cable, if it doesn't then you'll need a switch.
Good call, I’m not 100% sure but I thought the SV and SR trims have the floor cable pull but they may have an electric switch. Does anyone know ? I will look next time I see one at the dealership.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yah, I see a release switch in the diagrams but I'm not sure if it's at the trunk or in the car. Maybe I can tell from the harness layouts. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a look.

Brentbb
Car: 2023 Nissan Versa S M/T

Hey all, been following the thread for a while. Anyway, I have a 2023 Vesa s manual transmission, as well. Having trouble finding a locksmith to program the earlier recommended key fob, they all say their programmers only goto up to 2020 cars. So took the car to the dealer and they couldn't get it to program (thankfully didn't charge me). And according to my vin they said there were no fobs that would work. Is this just the dealer tech, not knowing what to do because it wasn't an option on his programmer? Not sure what else to do except to keep trying to find a locksmith willing to try. Sorry, for the rant, just want it to work.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Brentbb wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:47 am
Is this just the dealer tech, not knowing what to do because it wasn't an option on his programmer? Not sure what else to do except to keep trying to find a locksmith willing to try. Sorry, for the rant, just want it to work.
The dealer Consult3+ won't have an option for it if they read the VIN and try to program it as a '23. They'll need to lie to the scanner and tell it the car is a '21~'22, then it should display an option for fobs in the BCM under (I think) Door&Lock Work Support.

vic831 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 pm
Good call, I’m not 100% sure but I thought the SV and SR trims have the floor cable pull but they may have an electric switch. Does anyone know ? I will look next time I see one at the dealership.
I checked the connector location for the release button and it was in the lid, wired to the I-key unit and not the BCM. Since there's no other release button shown, that implies the electric version will still have a mechanical arm for a release cable.

vic831

Brentbb wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:47 am
Hey all, been following the thread for a while. Anyway, I have a 2023 Vesa s manual transmission, as well. Having trouble finding a locksmith to program the earlier recommended key fob, they all say their programmers only goto up to 2020 cars. So took the car to the dealer and they couldn't get it to program (thankfully didn't charge me). And according to my vin they said there were no fobs that would work. Is this just the dealer tech, not knowing what to do because it wasn't an option on his programmer? Not sure what else to do except to keep trying to find a locksmith willing to try. Sorry, for the rant, just want it to work.
You were not specific on your post, did you buy the Nissan 28268-5EA1A fob? How did you purchase it, was it on sale?

If you have this fob you should be able to find a locksmith with programming for 2020-2022 cars, the car changed after 2019. Where do you live? I have easily found 2-3 locksmiths in WV, PA and VA. The all had programming thru 2022. If you don’t have a key blank in the fob, (which I had by switching out the electronic module with a 2007 Altima eBay case), you could ask the LS to make an inexpensive non chip key just to turn the ignition, and holding the fob very close to the key ignition slot while programming. It is the LS opinion that the chip must be close to the immobilizer behind the ignition key slot, the LS also remarked that the key/fob programming had changed to a ONE step process different from the previous separate key chip vs RKE fob. If this works you will need to program your 2 factory supplied keys at the same time.
I learned all this brainstorming with a very helpful LS after the fact, talking theoretically. It may be that your factory plain key chip and the chip in the 28268-5EA1A fob were confusing the car. If so you need a non chip key just to turn the ignition(inexpensive)

It was just dumb luck that I was successful because I took the route of the 28268- (fob only) combined with the 2006 Altima case (just for the flip out key) and orchestrating all this from 2000 miles away from the cars owned by relatives.

The other option is the 2022 complete fob/ flip out key unit (part number previously mentioned in thread) $330 retail price, that would have the flip out non chip key and chip electronic module inside, that should easily program.

I hope this works for you, it’s theoretical at this point as I haven’t tried it but my LS thinks this “trick” will work. Let us know

Brentbb

Yes I bought the 28268-5EA1A key fob from an online nissan dealer. I found a mobile locksmith that is coming tomorrow. Will show him this thread and hopefully he has some luck. Thanks for the help.

Thasman
Car: ???

Would the 28268-5EA1A key be programmable using the self program function if a key fob has never been assigned to the car? I have this key fob on order for my 23 Versa S M/T and the directions I found in Consult 3+ said to:
1. Get in vehicle, close door, lock the door using d/s switch
2. Remove and insert key into ignition switch 6 times within 10 seconds
3. Hazard lights flash and all doors unlock
4. Within 3 seconds of hazard lights flash and door unlock, turn key to ACC on position and lock doors using d/s switch
5. Press lock or unlock button on key fob to be added
6. All doors unlock, hazard lights blink
7. Key fob is now registered
8. Open all doors to exit programming mode

Brentbb

Success, my 2023 versa now has the latest remote door lock and unlock abilities. The locksmith had to do the cut a blank dumb key and then reprogram my two factory keys to the new fob code. He couldn't get it to work at 1st then i showed him this forum and the lightbulb went on for him and now he is ready to program all the 2023 versa s models out there. Thanks for the help everyone.

Brentbb

One question I forgot to ask him if I want to buy a backup 28268-5EA1A fob for my other factory key will I have to have a locksmith program it as well or is there a way to sync them myself? Thanks again.

vic831

Thasman wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:24 am
Would the 28268-5EA1A key be programmable using the self program function if a key fob has never been assigned to the car? I have this key fob on order for my 23 Versa S M/T and the directions I found in Consult 3+ said to:
1. Get in vehicle, close door, lock the door using d/s switch
2. Remove and insert key into ignition switch 6 times within 10 seconds
3. Hazard lights flash and all doors unlock
4. Within 3 seconds of hazard lights flash and door unlock, turn key to ACC on position and lock doors using d/s switch
5. Press lock or unlock button on key fob to be added
6. All doors unlock, hazard lights blink
7. Key fob is now registered
8. Open all doors to exit programming mode
If you read the thread, I know too long,
Sadly this trick does not work after 2019.
Gotta use a programmer dealer or LS.

vic831

Brentbb wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:45 pm
Success, my 2023 versa now has the latest remote door lock and unlock abilities. The locksmith had to do the cut a blank dumb key and then reprogram my two factory keys to the new fob code. He couldn't get it to work at 1st then i showed him this forum and the lightbulb went on for him and now he is ready to program all the 2023 versa s models out there. Thanks for the help everyone.
“Everyone”? My OP research but you are the first to actually do my theoretical workaround Big CONGRATS!!!!! This is probably the cheapest workaround. I bought a 28268 fob for $76 and the other for $86 Nissan online on sale. The fob is heavy and separate from your factory key but it works.
Buy the eBay 2006 Altima remotes 2 for $20
And switch out the electronic pop out module get 2 28268 fobs and get the key blanks cut and you could have 4 keys, 2 of them with flip out keys ON the remotes.
Brentbb, good job, now your car is back to 1990’s convenience. Did you know you can’t lock and unlock all 4 doors using your factory key in the drivers door? Only the drivers door! Have to use the pdl switch inside then close the door, so stupid. Makes the RKE remote all the more necessary.
Last edited by vic831 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic831

Brentbb wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:50 pm
One question I forgot to ask him if I want to buy a backup 28268-5EA1A fob for my other factory key will I have to have a locksmith program it as well or is there a way to sync them myself? Thanks again.
If you want another fob, you will have to program all keys at one time again, every time! And you can only program 4 keys maximum to the car brain. Unless you figure out a way to buy a programmer you need a LS, I would not mess with the dealer, more expensive and probably tell you it can’t be done.
Brentbb, you may be only the 3rd car to add RKE in the US.
Get another 28268 fob, get the eBay 2006 Altima fobs for $20, a picture of these is on an earlier post, switch out the electronics,
Get the keys cut and program all 4 keys.
The only downside is you don’t get the nice chrome Nissan logo on the eBay fob, but you’ll have 2 extra batteries when needed.
It’s also possible to get the 28268 fob, some how order the key blank for the 28268 fob, it may come with the dowel pin to mount it and then your LS would have to know how to compress the dowel pin on the fob.
I thought this was a bad idea imo I figured it would get loose with the turning of the ignition etc. plus no parts guy could get a pic of what the separate blank looked like in their computer.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”