2015 Rogue A/C issues

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

45K miles and its been perfect! Original battery and brakes even, but the a/c has been failing to come on. Sometimes when I have the outside air on only, it still blows cold, but this last time I could not get it to come out cold - no matter how I played w/the controls (temp/auto/mode etc). It had been blowing cold earlier, but I didn't have the a/c button on, so I'm leaning toward an electrical issue vs a leak. Has anyone else had this happen? Hoping there could be some easy fix, cause I'm afraid that the controls will be a complicated fix. Thanks, George in Tallahassee.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

First, problems like this are almost never the dash controls, so quit worrying about that. Take a look at the compressor with the AC switched on and see if the clutch is spinning.

If it isn't: If the compressor fuse is good, you have one of four things, low freon, a bad freon pressure sensor, a dead compressor clutch, or one of the three AC temperature sensors (ambient, in-car or inlet) is making the BCM think the car is in Alaska. The ECM won't let the compressor turn on if refrigerant pressure is low, that's why low freon or a bad sensor can cause the issue.

If it is: You may have a bad swash plate in the compressor. Nissan uses variable-displacement compressors on the gen2 Rogue, and the swash plate is the part that varies the piston throw to make the compressor output more or less volume per stroke. It's easy to diagnose a bad swash using the blower control in the car. If the system outputs good cold when the fan is on low-low, but quits blowing cold when you dial it to high, the swash is stuck and you either have an open connection to the swash solenoid (on the compressor) or the swash is dead and you need a compressor.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

burrpenick wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:52 pm
...It had been blowing cold earlier, but I didn't have the a/c button on, so I'm leaning toward an electrical issue vs a leak. Has anyone else had this happen?...
2014/2015 Rogue A/C temp issue?
No more A/C
2016 Rogue unusable at this point
A/C blowing 60deg after dealer fixed it. Is this normal?
A/C Issues in 2009 Rogue SL

burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:38 pm
First, problems like this are almost never the dash controls, so quit worrying about that. Take a look at the compressor with the AC switched on and see if the clutch is spinning.

If it isn't: If the compressor fuse is good, you have one of four things, low freon, a bad freon pressure sensor, a dead compressor clutch, or one of the three AC temperature sensors (ambient, in-car or inlet) is making the BCM think the car is in Alaska. The ECM won't let the compressor turn on if refrigerant pressure is low, that's why low freon or a bad sensor can cause the issue.

If it is: You may have a bad swash plate in the compressor. Nissan uses variable-displacement compressors on the gen2 Rogue, and the swash plate is the part that varies the piston throw to make the compressor output more or less volume per stroke. It's easy to diagnose a bad swash using the blower control in the car. If the system outputs good cold when the fan is on low-low, but quits blowing cold when you dial it to high, the swash is stuck and you either have an open connection to the swash solenoid (on the compressor) or the swash is dead and you need a compressor.
THANKS! Good to hear its probably not an elusive electrical issue. Now to get at that fuse- hidden under the hood upside down in the box under the air cleaner intake tube. george

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

burrpenick wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 pm
Now to get at that fuse- hidden under the hood upside down in the box under the air cleaner intake tube.
Yah, that's the IPDM. They're almost all upside-down these days, but why they had to make you take a screw loose on the intake tube to get at it on a Rogue is beyond me. Fuses are supposed to be something you can check with no tools or a butterknife. Engineers, go figure.

Return to “Rogue Forum”